http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 04:02:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hero Academy  (Read 8062 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 07:54:51 PM »

Taking out the Dwarven Engineer will drop the shield they applied.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2012, 09:15:27 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 22, 2012, 06:45:36 PM

Judging from the coming soon image in the avatar section, I'd say Orcs/Orks are coming next.

yay orks
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 10:03:14 PM »

Interestingly it looks like they kept all your wins info over for Game Center.  Had no idea how many games I had won (or even played) otherwise.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:31 PM »

LOL there's an achievement called "Frozen Lake" for submitting a turn less than 3 mins after your opponent does. 
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 12:41:30 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 22, 2012, 10:16:31 PM

LOL there's an achievement called "Frozen Lake" for submitting a turn less than 3 mins after your opponent does. 

I got that one too, what's that referencing?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 12:57:23 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 23, 2012, 12:41:30 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on February 22, 2012, 10:16:31 PM

I got that one too, what's that referencing?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 02:26:11 AM »

I also saw one called "Take All Day Academy."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 04:30:11 AM »

Dwarves are nasty if they have a decent front. That focus on range and splash means that you can never retreat far enough to be safe.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »

lol that lake thing was hilarious.

Has anyone played dwarves vs. another race yet?  Just from first impressions they definitely seem OP relatively speaking, but I guess that's a common thing when something new is introduced.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »

Hehe just got "I'm hooked" (submitted 100 turns).  Of course that was just since they started counting yesterday lol.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 02:16:30 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 23, 2012, 09:37:57 PM

Has anyone played dwarves vs. another race yet?  Just from first impressions they definitely seem OP relatively speaking, but I guess that's a common thing when something new is introduced.

I think it's too early to tell. I'm winning most of my dwarf vs non-dwarf matches, but most people don't really know what they're capable of yet.  The teleporters are really throwing people off, too.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2012, 04:56:17 AM »

Dwarf smash! Send me yer challenges.

Jagg
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »

Liking dwarves a lot so far.  The bazooka guy can really catch people off guard, and I've wiped the floor with a few people who didn't realize what he could do.  Now that we're a week or so in, I'm seeing more people focus on taking him out.  Really like the engineer's shield ability.  Even a scroll-buffed attack only breaks it, so it leads to some interesting strategy both offensively and defensively.  I also am getting a lot of mileage out of the shotgun spread attack.  It's a little on the weak side but if you hit it right, you can take out three units in one turn.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 01:27:52 AM »

Quote from: kathode on February 27, 2012, 01:25:32 AM

I also am getting a lot of mileage out of the shotgun spread attack.  It's a little on the weak side but if you hit it right, you can take out three units in one turn.

disgust
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 01:17:12 PM »

OK picked this up and I need some general strategy help, bad. I've played all random games and I'm getting hammered.  I'm reading about crystal rushing and tried that without any success. Most people I've played thus far have simply ignored the crystals and go for my men. Either way I'm pretty much lost. Can someone list some good basic strategy I need to practice?

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »

Start up a game with me (wonderpug) and I'd be happy to give you tips as we play.

Have you watched the in-game tutorial videos?  There's also this blog, which seems to do a pretty good job discussing more advanced tactics.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »

Sent you a game. Feel free to comment on my play

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 05:38:47 PM »

I can't believe there were 1,101 xmann users registered before you!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »

heh, there usually is a xmann registered everywhere so i add my anniversary to the end

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on February 27, 2012, 05:27:27 PM

Don't trust wonderpug, X!  He just wants to boost his record!

Speaking of which, feel free to start a game with me, too (rittchard) and I'll show you how to beat wonderpug.  You have to confuse him with lots of inane banter so that he doesn't pay attention to the game.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2012, 09:52:02 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on February 27, 2012, 05:27:27 PM

Lots of comments on your last turn, so I thought I'd comment here where I can use a real keyboard. smile

Remember that you only have so many of each item in your 'deck.'  You want to make sure that if you use up something, it's for a good purpose.

Scrolls - you only have two of them, and they are extremely precious.  Sometimes using a scroll can quite literally be the only way for you to take out a buffed unit wreaking havoc, or on the flipside can let you push an advantage and let you take out a high value target your opponent thought would be safe.

On the previous turn, I used a scroll to take out your necromancer who had the weapon and helmet upgrades.  Not only is the necromancer one of your most powerful units, I essentially destroyed 3 of your 'cards', the unit and the two upgrades.  In addition, I didn't have much offensive power on the board yet, so I might also have kept you from killing off new units I was trying to deploy.  Not a horrible return on one of my two scrolls.

On your turn, you just did a "pre-scroll", where you charge up a guy but don't attack in the same turn.  There are times where this can be a good idea, but you've also planted a big 'kill me now!' sign on your void monk, as well as eliminating the chance of catching me by surprise with that scroll.  If I had the means to kill him on my next turn (I don't) your precious scroll would go to waste.  What's worse, though, is that I don't have any high value units on the board right now.  All I have is a void monk without any upgrades, who is arguably the most expendable unit in the dark elf team.

Soul Harvest - You also only get two of these spells.  It does mediocre damage to all units in a 3x3 grid, but it has two secondary effects which make it more useful.  One, it can resurrect all your knocked out units on the field, allowing you save an otherwise doomed unit, or push even more with an aggressive forward unit.  Two, it raises the hitpoints of all your deployed units, increased in proportion to how much damage it deals and decreased in proportion to how many units you have out.  An extra ~50 hitpoints isn't a ton, but it can make the difference in whether or not your unit can be killed in a single turn.

You just used both of your spells just to attack my void monk and my crystal.  This did 160 damage to the monk, which is a scratch, and 800 damage to my crystal (this was increased because you have a unit on a purple tile), which isn't that big a deal this early in the game, especially since the forward crystal on the teleporter map is already so vulnerable.  Together, you raised the health of two units just 30hp.  If you use the soul harvest on a cluster of enemies, you could raise the health of half a dozen units 40-50hp with a single spell.

Since my monk was left standing right next to the damage boost tile, you could have moved your own monk onto that tile and likely killed my guy without using any special items at all.  Now I was able to take some pot shots at your monk and retreat through the teleporter.  The damage you did to my monk got fully healed through life leeching, and now you have to spend two action points just to get your monk over to my guy, which increases my chances of surviving or being capable of a counterattack.  If you go for my crystal instead, well, I wouldn't have been able to stop you from doing that amount of damage one way or another, and now I have one less scroll to watch out for.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2012, 05:14:44 AM »

Momentous achievement tonight:  I won a game against wonderpug!  thumbsup  That bumps my record up to something like 1/20 smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2012, 05:33:28 AM »

The tide turned so quickly, too.  Blatant mistakes of mine aside, I'm not sure what I could've done to dislodge that monk short of doing redraws until I had an archer, sword, and scroll all in my hand at once.

I had a few turns where I'd have been able to at least knock out the monk, but your priestess was so near it would only have delayed you one turn.

I'll upgrade my "smart trade!" comment when you blitzed my upgraded archer to "pivotal game winning move!" slywink
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2012, 03:11:29 PM »

Need more HA games. Send me invites: Jagg.

I promise to play Dwarves which I think are the worst of the three, but I'm strangely addicted to them!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 01:24:15 AM »

Quote from: Jag on March 07, 2012, 03:11:29 PM

Need more HA games. Send me invites: Jagg.

I promise to play Dwarves which I think are the worst of the three, but I'm strangely addicted to them!

You really think they are the worst?  I'd really be hard pressed to pick, I'm such a fanboy of the game I feel like they've done an incredible job of balancing.

I've had dwarf games where I just dominated so quickly with the crazy offense that it wasn't even funny.  But also games where I've been creamed so I really don't know.  I do agree with pug that they lack a consistent way to remove someone from a buff.  One game I was playing Council (I think) and took the 2 crystals with knights and he wasn't able to displace me.  But that is such a rarity and so draw dependent.  Which again is what I think makes this such a successful game, the random factor can throw any strategy off.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »

The Annihilator can really tear up an unprepared team, as rittchard is demonstrating against my team in our game right now.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 01:57:21 AM »

I'm still trying hard to learn strategies and playing only Dwarves, but man i'm growing tired of having good chances to win or being setup to lose almost right out of the box.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2012, 02:22:46 AM »

In our current dwarf vs council match, you've been far too timid.  Of course you have no way of knowing what's in my hand, but I haven't drawn any healers for a great number of rounds.  You've been spending your time deploying troops on your half, but aside from that one potion I used on my lower knight I've had absolutely no way to heal my guys.  Plus, since I have a lot of guys deployed (because I've been playing cards like mad in the hopes I'll get a cleric at the ready) I've been a perfect target for that grenadier you've had deployed for a while.

I've also left the attack boost tile on my side of the board unoccupied.  If you had run your grenadier up to nab it, you probably could've knocked out my ninja with me having no way to revive him.  I might've used that potion to revive him and killed your grenadier in return, but then he'd be limping along at low health for your paladin to run in and kill. 

Now I've got a healer in my hand, upgraded knights on both purple tiles, and an archer and a ninja hiding behind my crystal.  This is a nightmare situation, and at this point there's really nothing you can do to recover in this particular match.

In general, I've found that you have to be ridiculously aggressive with dwarves.  With council and elves, you usually want your whole team topped off at full health as much as possible, but with dwarves I'm perfectly happy to have units limping around all over the board as long as they're doing damage along the way.  The engineer shield, the beer damage reduction, the high health healers, the AOE... everything is geared up for aggressive pushes that tear apart the crystal along the way.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »

If anyone's interested in some wraith strategy, here's a writeup giant wall of text I made in the PA forum thread for the game:

Quote from: Mace1370
Another aspect of the DE's I have been having trouble with is the wraith. I can usually munch a unit or two, but I have never got beyond that. It takes so many actions to deploy him, move up to a unit, hit it (or have something else hit it), eat it, then run it back to safety. When you have a wraith in your hand do you deploy it right away so you don't have to spend an action doing that later? I would think you would want to keep it a secret so your opponent would be less careful leaving his guy's forward enough to get knocked out.

Generally, I feel like I'm happy to bring him out as long as I can keep him safe.  Keeping him in hand gives you opportunities for surprises, but like you say, it also leaves fewer possibilities.

When he's new and weak, I like him deployed, unupgraded and well in the back.  It's tempting to give him a soulstone and a helmet, to raise his meager health, but he's so vulnerable and such a high priority target that it's just asking for him to be killed--and then you'll lose the upgrades as well.  If my opponent goes nuts trying to kill him as-is, it's a shame, but they'll likely have sacrificed a unit, a scroll, and maybe a weapon upgrade to do it.  For what?  Just the potential of what the wraith could become?  It's not like a ninja that's a beast right out of the gate.  Now I'll be playing the rest of the match resurrecting instead of eating my own fallen units, and not spending entire turns trying to feed the wraith.  And it's not like I don't have other options for making formidable attackers.

Anyhow, for upgrading the wraith, I don't feel safe having him out in the open until he's eaten at least two corpses.  I also don't feel like he's wasted sitting in the back, because his mere presence is making my opponent reluctant to kill any of my units without stomping them.  First consumption is likely one of my own fallen guys.  Elves have the advantage of not being dependent on any one unit, so I'm pretty much willing to sacrifice anyone who's not upgraded--even a priestess--to give my wraith his first meal.  At this point I may start upgrading him, but he's still pretty vulnerable.

Second meal is probably also going to be one of my own units that I eat instead of resurrecting, but if I've given the wraith a weapon upgrade there may be opportunities to have him run out, kill, eat, and retreat.  This is where it pays to pay attention to how many scrolls have been used, because it greatly affects what you can get away with as far as leaving him out in the open.

You also need to vary your aggression with him based on the kinds of units your opponent has.  The wraith, like all elf units, is most vulnerable to physical damage, so be more timid if there's a ninja or an upgraded archer/impaler on the field.  It also pays to be able to calculate whether your opponent can stomp him or just knock him out, because if you've got a soul harvest spell ready or a nearby priestess, you can be fine and dandy to have him just get knocked out.  Bonus points if you have a potion handy to heal him up in one action, since you'll want him to have a potion at some point anyhow for the health boost.  Also, there are occasions where I'll prescroll him after just one meal and some upgrades--as long as I can keep him safe!--since that greatly opens up the possibilities for grabbing meal #2.

Once he's had two meals, has a full helm/soulstone/sword set, and ideally a potion and/or a hearty soul harvest spell HP boost, you're gold.  He's formidable just like that, and it shouldn't be hard to find an opportunity for him to get that 3rd and last meal.  Plus, since his next meal will leave him fully upgraded with ~1300 hit points, you'll likely be able to have him run out to kill & eat and be able to leave him out in the open without fear of reprisal, equating to one extra attack from him in that turn.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »

Me and Jag have a mini epic game in progress.  Going down to the wire.

Rittchard, what is your username and I'll let you beat up on me like wonderpug is doing several times a day.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »

Rittchard is Rittchard

Spoiler for Hiden:
(reflexive property)
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 05:11:28 PM »

Jag, if I had been able to down your stupid rocket launcher unit, I had you so outgunned on resources that it wasn't even funny.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2012, 07:25:53 PM »

Wow.  Dwarves vs. Council.  In my first two draws, I get three engineers and two paladins.  He gets three knights and two archers.  I should have just forfeited then.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »

Fun games Xman and Isg.

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 15, 2012, 05:11:28 PM

Jag, if I had been able to down your stupid rocket launcher unit, I had you so outgunned on resources that it wasn't even funny.

I don't think I've ever come back from being down so much biggrin
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 15, 2012, 07:25:53 PM

Wow.  Dwarves vs. Council.  In my first two draws, I get three engineers and two paladins.  He gets three knights and two archers.  I should have just forfeited then.

Paladin pairs can be pretty awesome on their own.  I've sometimes given full upgrades to both of them, and they become this lumbering slow wall of destruction that's almost impossible to kill.  Bonus if you can keep an engineer bubble going on the lead one.

Sometimes going the unorthodox route can work out really well.  Kathode had me on the ropes in a recent dwarf on dwarf match, but it was me slapping full upgrades on an engineer of all things that turned the tide and led to my victory.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »

My 15 seconds of fame have arrived!

Yessir.  As of this morning, I am now really low on battery in the top 10 for # of dark elf wins for an iPhone game.  This of course means absolutely nothing, as it's more a measure of time played than it is any sort of measure of skill, but, uh... tada! 

I had discovered about a week ago I had entered the top 50 because I started getting a few random game invites from strangers finding me via the scoreboard, and when I saw that there wasn't that significant a win count difference between #50 and #10, I decided to stop dabbling in council and dwarves for a while to see if I could enter the top 10 and get the fame and riches that are sure to now come my way.  Aaaaany minute now.  Any minute.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:37 PM »

Good job, but the real question is why aren't you friends with the rest of us?!?!?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on March 20, 2012, 10:47:37 PM

Good job, but the real question is why aren't you friends with the rest of us?!?!?

A Hero Academy champion like him doesn't need any of you worthless hangers-on.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2012, 01:00:41 AM »

I unfriended everyone except for my cat when they changed Game Center to identify people by their real names, even GT people whose real names I already know and vice versa.  Just seems like a horrible, horrible privacy policy.  No need for me to clutter up the thread with my corporate privacy rage, though.  icon_wink
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »

woo, the next update is almost here already!

Info on draft revision to the map with just two crystals

And...

WARRIOR
(Class: Fighter) - Can instantly K.O. any wounded (at or below 50% health) enemy unit. (25% for crystals)

AXE THROWER
(Class: Shooter) - Deals 100 extra damage to enemies above 50% health. (25% for crystals)

WITCH
(Class: Caster) - Explodes fallen heroes at range to damage nearby enemies.

SHAMAN
(Class: Support) - Healer whose healing spells chain through multiple allies, even heroes already at full health.

CHIEFTAN
(Class: Super Unit) - AOE fighter who can pull surrounding enemies close, or charge out to attack distant enemies.

More info and unit pictures here!

The Tribe will be the most unique team yet to be added to Hero Academy, right down to their new board. The board will feature "Barbed Crystals" that can actually attack nearby enemies once per turn. If you're playing on the Tribe map, approach crystals with caution! The team make-up itself is also very different from the traditional unit and item distribution that many of you have dissected for the existing teams. For example, the Tribe gets two of their Chieftan Super Units. Among their other changes, they have access to four haunches of meat that acts somewhat like a healing potion and scroll combined - they each heal an ally for up to 700 hitpoints and increase that unit's next attack by 175%! When you start to play with the Tribe, you'll find out very quickly that their aggressive tactics play unlike any other team we've released to date. Get ready for a fight!

I don't know how in the holy hell the warrior & axe thrower abilities are going to be balanced, let alone two super units and four potion/scroll combos, but I can't wait to find out!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: