http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 10:24:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Final Fantasy 6 and possibly 7 on iOS/Android  (Read 1594 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:10:33 PM »

Yes, it's finally happening

Square Enix will be releasing a modified version of the beloved Final Fantasy VI, originally released in North America in 1994 as Final Fantasy III, this winter for iOS and Android, long-time Square director and producer Takashi Tokita told Kotaku today. The game won't be a straight port.

"It is basically like a remake of the original VI," Tokita said as he proudly revealed his surprise at the end of a presentation about the recent smartphone release of FFV and the upcoming mobile release of FFIV: The After Years. "But there have been some enhancements."2

"The battle systems have been altered for the other [mobile remakes] for Final Fantasy and VI will be the same. For instance grinding was an issue and people had to spend a lot of time leveling up. Now on the mobile devices the battle systems have been adjusted so you don't have to fight as much and can enjoy the game for what it is."

Oh, and this little tidbit:

The Legacy series won't necessarily end with VI, Tokita said, when we asked him if it could include VII, VIII, IX, X and beyond. "We are aware that we have tons of VII fans," he noted. "We have VII fans in our own company. If this Legacy project works out well, we would like to one day be able to work with VII."

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:14:33 PM by Gratch » Logged

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:36:21 PM »

Gratch: Do you like the Final Fantasy series?

Autistic Angel: They're OK.

Gratch: Their early work was a little too old school for my tastes, but when FF7 came out in '97, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole game has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the combat a big boost. It's been compared to Ultima 7, but I think FF& has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Autistic Angel: Hey Skinypuppy.

Gratch: Yes, Angel?

Autistic Angel: Why are their copies of the sports section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something?

Gratch: No, Angel.

Autistic Angel: Is that a rain coat?

Gratch: Yes it is! In 2001, Squaresoft released this, Final Fantasy X, their most accomplished game. I think their undisputed masterpiece is Lulu, a character so slutty looking, most people probably don't listen to the dialogue. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the world itself.

[raises axe above head]

Gratch: Hey Autistic!

[he bashes AA in the head with the axe, and blood splatters over him]

Gratch: TRY GETTING A PRE-ORDER AT GAMESTOP NOW YOU FUCKING STUPID BASTARD! YOU, FUCKING BASTARD!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:40:42 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 02:35:23 AM »

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 04:52:15 AM »

Ehhhhhhh....

As much as I'd love to play these games on my iStuff, knowing Square these are going to be really shitty ports and cost $70 each with an added DLC moneymaking scheme.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:16:51 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 10, 2013, 04:52:15 AM

Ehhhhhhh....

As much as I'd love to play these games on my iStuff, knowing Square these are going to be really shitty ports and cost $70 each with an added DLC moneymaking scheme.

saywhat

The iOS ports of all the previous FF games have been fantastic and have had zero IAP.  They're a little higher price point than most iOS games (in the $16 range), but are extremely well done.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 01:22:42 PM »

My "$70" comment was just referring to how they all have pricing higher than almost any other iOS game.  For the rest, I was thinking about:

• Final Fantasy Tactics, which had horrible controls even after several patches, and which they didn't make a universal app
  • Chrono Trigger, which I heard had that one part near the end that's extremely hard to complete using the iOS controls
  • Theatrhythm, which has a DLC pricing scheme that makes it $143 if you want all the songs, a price $60 higher than if you bought all songs on the 3DS version
  • Final Fantasy All the Bravest, which has such a ridiculous price wall purchase scheme it almost looks like a parody
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 10, 2013, 01:22:42 PM

• Final Fantasy Tactics, which had horrible controls even after several patches, and which they didn't make a universal app
Frustrating they didn't make it universal, but I never had any issues with the controls.  And the HD iPad version is awesome.

• Chrono Trigger, which I heard had that one part near the end that's extremely hard to complete using the iOS controls
Can't speak to this one...haven't played it yet.

• Theatrhythm, which has a DLC pricing scheme that makes it $143 if you want all the songs, a price $60 higher than if you bought all songs on the 3DS version
True, but the pricing model also allows you to only choose the songs you want to play, as opposed to paying for everything.  I only spent about $25 and got every song I wanted, which was significantly cheaper than the 3DS version (at the time)

• Final Fantasy All the Bravest, which has such a ridiculous price wall purchase scheme it almost looks like a parody

Fully agree on this one.  All the Bravest was a complete joke of a game and nothing more than a pathetic cash grab.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 05:32:52 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 10, 2013, 02:35:23 AM

the wink at the end really sells it icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 02:52:27 PM »

I've never played a FF game. I noticed that there are a few available on the Google Play store for Android. Worth the money for someone who has no previous experience with the game, or is more of a nostalgia thing? If so, which one should I start with?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 03:01:36 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on October 29, 2013, 02:52:27 PM

I've never played a FF game. I noticed that there are a few available on the Google Play store for Android. Worth the money for someone who has no previous experience with the game, or is more of a nostalgia thing? If so, which one should I start with?

Final Fantasy 6 can be thought of as the pinnacle of the 2d Final Fantasies, while #7 can be thought of as the kick-off of the 3d ones.

7 is very very beloved, but if you have trouble overlooking primitive 3d graphics it may be hard to stomach.  On the other hand, 6 has (I think) that timeless nature of sprite-based games, and I think would have aged very well.  I'd go with 6.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »

Ugh.

They're obviously looking to sell dehydrated milk - that cow died YEARS ago.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on October 29, 2013, 02:52:27 PM

If you haven't played any of them, I'd wait for 6.  FF 1-5 are all decent games, but without the benefit of nostalgia, they can feel repetitive and dated by today's standards.  FF 6 upped the ante with a fantastic story, soundtrack, and overall RPG mechanics, and is the best of the non-3D bunch by a wide margin.

If you really feel the urge to play one right now, I'd go with the 3D remake of Final Fantasy 3.  It's probably the best of the "pre-FF7" games.

They're obviously looking to sell dehydrated milk - that cow died YEARS ago.

Obviously there's still a demand for them, especially VI.  Portable JRPG'ing during boring meetings is rad.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:44:09 PM by Gratch » Logged

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »

Very helpful. Thank you.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »

Just noticed you are on Android, not iOS.  I'm not sure which of the FF are out for Android at this point, but am assuming it's the same as iOS.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 12:44:42 AM »

FF VI hit Android today, expecting it on iOS very shortly. 

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »

They look terrible. All the added features in the world cannot save those MS Paint looking graphics and incorrectly translated script.

http://kotaku.com/oh-no-square-enix-what-have-you-done-to-final-fantasy-1502268040

I may be a curmudgeon set in my pixel-art ways, but I think the original looks so much better than this new remake. It's like they sucked all of the soul out of one of my favorite games.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 04:41:09 PM »

Agreed. It looks absolutely awful and a text error on nearly VERY FIRST THING SAID?!

Also it's an edit of the SNES (US) version's script based on posts. And like usual, Squenix doesn't know how the hell to properly charge for things (but that doesn't seem to matter, as people will happily pay way too much for it anyway).

Ugh. Just...ugh.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 17, 2014, 12:44:42 AM

You might want to indent that companion cube a few clicks further away from the smilie.  Turns out the Android version of Final Fantasy VI has a game-breaking bug that's waiting on a patch.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 21, 2014, 11:33:56 AM

Quote from: Gratch on January 17, 2014, 12:44:42 AM

You might want to indent that companion cube a few clicks further away from the smilie.  Turns out the Android version of Final Fantasy VI has a game-breaking bug that's waiting on a patch.

-Autistic Angel

Yeah, I read that yesterday.  Bummed that Square apparently doesn't give two shits about it's legacy with these games.  It's coming back to bite them in the ass big time when their most ardent FF fans (like me) simply stop buying their stuff.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 12:52:19 PM »

Looks like this hits tonight.  Might try to grab it for my flight home tomorrow...see how bad it really is.  smile

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 05, 2014, 12:52:19 PM

Looks like this hits tonight.  Might try to grab it for my flight home tomorrow...see how bad it really is.  smile

I read a review from some super fan (he's apparently played it over 5 times and has a FF6 related tattoo on him lol) and he gave the Android version a really good review, FWIW.  I really shouldn't get it since Bravely Default is coming out Friday and should easily eat up my JRPG time, but I probably won't be able to resist.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »

Grabbed it this morning and played for about an hour.  Seems to me that all the belly-aching about how "terrible" it looks is quite unfounded.  It looks just fine to me, and I don't see any difference between this version and the old GBA port I played years ago.  It actually looks a little better, as much of the background art for the battles has received a significant upgrade.  They used what looks to be the Amano portraits for each character in the dialog segments as well, which look great.  The did away with ATB bars, and instead each character portrait moves up slowly from the bottom of the screen as their turn comes around.  It's a nice touch that I actually think I like a little more.  Sound is fine as well...music sounds great.  I think they may have fixed the typo errors for the iOS version as well, as I didn't see the "espier" one that everyone had pointed out.

Maybe it runs into issues later on, but based on the first hour, it looks to be a great port to me.  I like the "hint" system as well (a small ? in the top of the screen that gives you a hint on where to go if you get lost).  One of the challenges I have with these old school FF games is that I forget where I'm going if I happen to set the game aside for a while.  This is a great way to give a reminder of the next objective without being intrusive.  They could have hid it in the menu, I suppose, but it's not a distraction where it is.  

Thumbs up so far.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 02:14:44 PM »

I watched about 5 minutes of the TA plays video, and he commented that the backgrounds are pixelated and the characters are blurry. The characters (not the portraits, but the actual characters) didn't look particularly sharp to me. You don't agree?

I think 6 is the one I played way back when on Super Nintendo. I have fond memories of it.

I bought FFV last month, and I just can't get into it. It's been awhile since I have played a JPRG, and I guess I forgot how cheesy they can be. What really drives me nuts for some reason is how the speech avatars for the characters look nothing like the onscreen character figures. Not only do they not match (hair color, style, etc) they just look really feminine. That really annoys me for some reason.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 06, 2014, 02:14:44 PM

I watched about 5 minutes of the TA plays video, and he commented that the backgrounds are pixelated and the characters are blurry. The characters (not the portraits, but the actual characters) didn't look particularly sharp to me. You don't agree?

I didn't notice any blurriness on the backgrounds.  I suppose the character models could be sharper, but I didn't think it wasn't distracting in any way.  I guess if someone wanted to nitpick they could say that they should be higher res, but I thought they looked fine.  Maybe my old eyes are just so bad I couldn't tell.  smile

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 11:34:16 PM »

I would be all over this for about $5, but $16 is just too much for the yet another version of FFVI.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 12:50:07 AM »

It's definitely pricey if you've already played it and don't have any particular urge to replay it.  But all in all I think all the negativity was unfounded.  The sprites are what I thought were the bone of contention.  They might seem too "clean" in some sense and out of style as compared to the more pixelated backgrounds.  Personally, I'm playing on the Mini, and honestly it didn't bother me at all even on the larger screen.  This is probably a very individual thing, depending on just how nostalgic you are about this game.

I really like the way the combat system is done with the touch interface.  It's essentially a traditional JRPG timer system but the way it is implemented, your character options kind of shimmy up from the bottom of the screen until the options light up and become available.  It's just a nuance of the UI but I like that it's different.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 06:48:08 PM »

So...how is it?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 07:14:01 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 09, 2014, 06:48:08 PM

So...how is it?

I think it's perfectly fine.  I'm sure there's the diehards who have already played it umpteen times that will tell you the graphics are terrible because they're not identical to the original, but I have no issues with them at all.    The revamped UI is great as well.

Could they have done more with it?  Sure.  But it's perfectly enjoyable as-is.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: