http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 04:25:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Civilization Revolution 2 Reased for Ipad...and apparently nobody knew...  (Read 538 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »

Did anyone here realize that a new Civilization Revolution game had been released? Or that it was even in development? I'm a fairly hardcore strategy game fan, and I heard absolutely nothing about this game until it showed up on Appshopper. None of my friends knew it was in development either. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing....

Quick! Someone go be the forum Lab rat!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:36:40 PM »

From The Guardian:

The new game adds new units, technology, buildings and wonders, as well as beefed-up graphics compared to its predecessor. For veterans, the inclusion of jet fighters, lasers and even Silicon Valley will spice up an already-engrossing game.

Civilization Revolution 2 also notably shuns the dominant free-to-play business model in mobile gaming. It costs £10.49 to download from the App Store, with no in-app purchases.

thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:58:40 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on July 02, 2014, 12:36:40 PM

Civilization Revolution 2 also notably shuns the dominant free-to-play business model in mobile gaming. It costs £10.49 to download from the App Store, with no in-app purchases.

I did see this blurb, though:
Developer 2K China is also promising to release additional map sections and civilization leaders through the App Store. Players will have the option to purchase these characters and areas and add them to their game, although doing so is purely cosmetic.

I just found a forumer's impressions on Pocket Tactics that calls it Civ Rev 1 with more polish.  He unfortunately also says the AI isn't much better, which is disappointing.

I'd love to have a better CivRev in my pocket though, so I guess I'll be a guinea pig.  I think I have time for one game this morning, so I'll try to get some quick impressions up in an hour.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:21:22 PM »

Interface seems really clean and intuitive.  I'm trying my first game on an iPhone 4S and so far everything's easy to see.  Getting a few framerate hiccups during fast scrolling and at the start of combat animations.

Attacking my first barbarian camp, I couldn't see what the defending unit was until I attacked, unless I had the Scout ability.  Is that a new game mechanic?  I can't remember.

Oh and this seems neat.  At about turn 5 my domestic advisor presented me with a choice of 4 goals from my citizens, oriented toward combat, commerce, research, and something else.  I chose 'kill 2 barbarians', so let's see what that amounts to.  (amounted to a free upgrade to one of my combat units)

Ok, that's all you get for now.  Framerate issues are getting a bit too annoying, so I'll have to wait until I can play on my iPad.  I don't recommend the game if you'll be playing on a 4S or weaker.

Aside from the framerate issues, seems pretty good so far.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:34:03 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »

I was mentioned in the general thread, but info there tends to get buried rather quickly.

I'm interested, may give it a shot.  Figure I'm going to need something to keep me occupied while I wait hours for specific quests to pop in FF XIV.   crybaby

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »

$15 is a little rich for my blood. I'll get it when it hits around $7.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 02, 2014, 02:19:58 PM

$15 is a little rich for my blood. I'll get it when it hits around $7.

Since I just bought today it at full price it'll probably be on sale tomorrow.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »

Is there any way to cancel a unit's movement?  I accidentally tapped a spot way across the map, and now my unit just keeps automatically moving there no matter what I do.  Can't figure out how to cancel it.

The game looks great, but my iPad feels like it's going to melt after about 10 minutes.  I've never felt it get this hot before.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »

Has there been any changes to the map sizes? My main quibble with Civ Rev was that even the largest maps were too small; it was impossible to avoid the other civilizations even early on in the game.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 02, 2014, 05:15:34 PM

Is there any way to cancel a unit's movement?  I accidentally tapped a spot way across the map, and now my unit just keeps automatically moving there no matter what I do.  Can't figure out how to cancel it.

The game looks great, but my iPad feels like it's going to melt after about 10 minutes.  I've never felt it get this hot before.

I had trouble cancelling a unit's movement, too.  I think maybe you need to re-select the unit by pressing the unit icon in the bottom right (end turn slider) repeatedly?  I'll have to try later.

And yeah, holy jebus does it heat up an iPad.

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on July 02, 2014, 05:18:13 PM

Has there been any changes to the map sizes? My main quibble with Civ Rev was that even the largest maps were too small; it was impossible to avoid the other civilizations even early on in the game.

Hmm, unless I'm missing something there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust map size when you create a game.  I haven't mapped the entire planet in a game yet, so I can't comment on how big the standard map is.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 02:56:55 AM »

Pocket Tactics says it's just a graphics update, game play is the same. They will have a review up tomorrow. Sounds like I will skip it from what I have seen posted about it in various places.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 05:06:40 AM »

Quote from: Lee on July 03, 2014, 02:56:55 AM

Pocket Tactics says it's just a graphics update, game play is the same. They will have a review up tomorrow. Sounds like I will skip it from what I have seen posted about it in various places.

Yeah, I'm really kinda regretting the purchase since I own the original.  Should have waited for reviews...oh well.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 04:18:20 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 02, 2014, 05:30:06 PM

Quote from: Gratch on July 02, 2014, 05:15:34 PM

I had trouble cancelling a unit's movement, too.  I think maybe you need to re-select the unit by pressing the unit icon in the bottom right (end turn slider) repeatedly?  I'll have to try later.

I think I was able to press and hold on a unit to erase its previous orders and give it new ones.

Do you know how to sell units or upgrade them?
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 06:25:41 PM »

Worth it for someone who never owned the first one?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on July 04, 2014, 06:25:41 PM

Worth it for someone who never owned the first one?

Probably. Do you like the idea of a Civ playthrough condensed into an hour or two?
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 01:03:12 PM »

I picked it up but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: