http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 10:52:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bravely Default coming to North America  (Read 6014 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2014, 05:41:24 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 24, 2014, 03:35:54 PM

Heh...got to the ice golem and he wasted me (well, not wasted I guess....I stayed alive for quite a few rounds, but couldn't get him killed).  The mobs leading up to it should have been a hint.  Might need to do some grinding to get stronger before moving on with Chapter 4.
I don't remember that fight, I must not be there yet.  I think I'm near the end of Chapter 4.  
Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm getting ready to take Airy into the light.  I know this is going to end badly.  I'm also wondering why not a single soul in my party of adventureres suspects Airy of being the creature of pure evil that I know she's going to be.  I mean, she shows up as soon as the chasm of evil opens up?  Come on people!  Also, I love the bottom of the screen message from Airy, "Take me into the Holy Pillar!  Everything ends there!"  I'm sure it does, Airy, thanks to my knuckelheaded group.

I had a tough job class fight in chapter 4 in
Spoiler for Hiden:
the vampire castle.  It was really late and I was sleepy so I turned encounters off and headed straight to the boss.  I decided the next day I would fight my way out of the castle and get some good experience along the way.  I had no idea that the monsters in the castle were much, much harder for my party than the actual boss.  Oh man, just getting out through 6 floors was insane.  I had to turn down encounters again to like 25% because my group was getting destroyed in each fight.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »

I'm only closing in on the end of chapter two.  I'm having a lot of fun.  I don't think I've enjoyed a JRPG this much since FFXII.  I'm not really using abililink.  I do like the summon friend attacks.  Bob is the only one who's sent his attack out enough for me to increase affinity with him.  Thanks Bob.  I try to send my updated attacks out on a regular basis.  I am looking forward to completing Norende so I don't have to keep updating my special attacks.  It's pretty nice when you reduce the enemies magical resistance and elemental resistance to something you have a bonus on.  Even better if you can poison them too.  

And wow.  Those ranger outfits are even sillier than I expected.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 24, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on February 24, 2014, 05:41:24 PM

I don't remember that fight, I must not be there yet.  I think I'm near the end of Chapter 4.
It's right at the beginning of Chapter 4, basically.  Big thing on the map on your way to Eternia.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 24, 2014, 06:33:16 PM

Quote from: Roguetad on February 24, 2014, 05:41:24 PM

It's right at the beginning of Chapter 4, basically.  Big thing on the map on your way to Eternia.
I know I'm playing too much Bravely Default when I don't even remember boss fights that I've done.  I definitely remember the one you mentioned earlier in the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Grandship
.  For the same reasons you mentioned, it was a tough fight.

I will always try a more conventional party approach to boss fights first, trying to work my way through the fight as best as possible, even if it's an ugly experience.  I've only had to fall back on the Ninja-Evade approach for one type of boss.  Clearly the developers meant for that to be a viable option though since several of the jobs have complimentary support skills that work well together for evade tanking (Ninja+Swordmaster+Red Mage).  It's always an option if needed.  With that said, I prefer to roll with a more traditional tank-damage-support-healing mix of jobs/sub-jobs.

The Spiritmaster job is a huge boon for a White Mage character, and helps a ton during difficult boss fights that use high elemental damage, conditions and status ailments.  I also really like having someone with Performer either primary or secondary for tough boss fights.  Getting +150% boosts in both offense and defense makes a big difference.  And lastly, having a Pirate for debuffs has been really helpful too.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »

I don't think this golem counts as a boss.  He's just a big dude on the overworld that you have to fight to get to the first city.  Honestly, I only tried fighting him once.  Could be that I could do better a second time, but the random mobs I had to fight on the way were tougher, so I do think I need to level a little.  It also doesn't help that I switched some guys to some new first jobs.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2014, 04:03:07 PM »

Tried fighting him again last night and got past him no issue.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2014, 12:29:39 AM »

So... what's the deal with the Nemeses? I've got the full complement of 7 sitting in the village, from level 70 to 99. Do I just leave them alone until the party levels up to something in that range? For grins, I tried to 'Fight' one of them and it was a one-shot party wipe. Youch.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2014, 01:28:39 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 26, 2014, 12:29:39 AM

So... what's the deal with the Nemeses? I've got the full complement of 7 sitting in the village, from level 70 to 99. Do I just leave them alone until the party levels up to something in that range? For grins, I tried to 'Fight' one of them and it was a one-shot party wipe. Youch.
My Norende is filled with them.  The only impact they have is that my villagers appear to be in a constant state of panic running and screaming everywhere.  That's what they get for moving into a village located next to a sink hole to hell.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2014, 02:45:31 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on February 26, 2014, 01:28:39 AM

My Norende is filled with them.  The only impact they have is that my villagers appear to be in a constant state of panic running and screaming everywhere.  That's what they get for moving into a village located next to a sink hole to hell.

icon_lol  I tried fighting one early on and got my ass whooped, haven't bothered with them since.  I think they give a good chunk of XP, but that seems to be the only benefit.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2014, 02:35:38 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 26, 2014, 02:45:31 AM

icon_lol  I tried fighting one early on and got my ass whooped, haven't bothered with them since.  I think they give a good chunk of XP, but that seems to be the only benefit.

I killed a level 10 one no issues, but tried a level 20 one and couldn't figure out how to damage the thing. 

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 26, 2014, 02:35:38 PM

Quote from: Gratch on February 26, 2014, 02:45:31 AM

I killed a level 10 one no issues, but tried a level 20 one and couldn't figure out how to damage the thing. 

Wow, you had a Level 10 Nemesis?  I've never seen one in my village below Level 50, and most are 99.

In other news, I'm weirdly enchanted by the Merchant class in this game.  I love the fact that any time you want to grind for money, you can basically transform your party into a company of hard-selling bullies that roam around forcing the indidgenous wildlife to buy your surplus stock at a ridiculous mark-up.  icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 26, 2014, 02:55:28 PM

Wow, you had a Level 10 Nemesis?  I've never seen one in my village below Level 50, and most are 99.

Yeah, they both came from Square Enix.  I've got lots of high level ones as well.  Not sure what determined how they come and go.  Also, not sure what the level really means as I think I'm in my 40s on level and that level 20 one was weird.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »

I just started Chapter 5...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Are you kidding me?  I actually let out a Vadar "NOOoooo!" when Agnes suggested that we awaken the crystals all over again.  And then one by one each party member agrees to start from scratch and do it all over again.  The map shows a ton of blue quest icons which I'm assuming are opportunities to do the job class quests over again.  I hope there's some twist on the way to the first crystal that saves us from having to do a groundhog day type of redo.
Edited to add: I understand what they're doing now.  It's not awesome game design, but I'm rolling with it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:00:48 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on February 24, 2014, 05:57:19 PM

Thanks Bob.  I try to send my updated attacks out on a regular basis.

Now I feel bad for not playing the last few days! smile  I had a novel to finish reading.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2014, 10:03:13 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 26, 2014, 04:09:21 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 26, 2014, 02:55:28 PM

Yeah, they both came from Square Enix.  I've got lots of high level ones as well.  Not sure what determined how they come and go.  Also, not sure what the level really means as I think I'm in my 40s on level and that level 20 one was weird.
Some of the random net-invites that I've sent out/received have sent me lower level nemesis.  I'm not sure how all of that works, but my Norende is covered in them.  Some of them seem to have expiration dates. 
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: March 01, 2014, 04:21:50 AM »

Quote from: Bob on February 26, 2014, 07:22:56 PM

Quote from: Hrothgar on February 24, 2014, 05:57:19 PM

Thanks Bob.  I try to send my updated attacks out on a regular basis.

Now I feel bad for not playing the last few days! smile  I had a novel to finish reading.

Don't feel bad.  You're still my bestest friend in the game.  That actually gave me good bonus damage last time.  Heck, half the people in this thread haven't even added me as a friend.  Thank you to everyone who's updated their attack.

I'm still having fun with the game, but I may start peeking at bosses.  Both Chaugmar and Qada were pretty easy fights once I figured out what to do.  It's not much fun wiping a couple times to figure that out.  I had been rolling up to bosses with whatever configuration my party was in, but that stopped working in chapter 3. 

In case anyone else wants help with those two:

Spoiler for Chaugmar and Qada:
Chaugmar is nearly invulnerable in his first form.  You just need to default until he transforms.  Then Valkyries can high jump while everyone else defaults for his super attack.  After that you can go to town on him.

Qada isn't that hard if you dispel his regen.  Also don't use damage dispersal as an ability for the fight.  His super attack is on a single target and will KO them, but damage dispersal can result in a party wipe.

Oh, and nemeses also drop buns like mind bun.  You can use those to permanently increase a character's stats.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2014, 01:26:51 PM »

Nintendo has announced that the game sold over 200,000 copies in the US in its first three weeks of release smile
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:28:44 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2014, 04:48:22 PM »

Man, I hit an absolute wall with this game.  About the time they cheerily said:

Spoiler for Hiden:
"Hey, let's have you play everything you've already done for a second time!"

My brain said, "Yeah, I don't think so" and I haven't fired it up since.  Keep meaning to go back to it, but just can't generate the interest.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2014, 05:02:48 PM »

I've stalled out, too, despite having enjoyed the game every time I've played it.  I'd love to see someone find a way to make a JRPG that let's you go through the usual level progression and world exploration of the genre, but somehow still finish in 15 hours.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2014, 04:18:55 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 14, 2014, 04:48:22 PM

Man, I hit an absolute wall with this game.  About the time they cheerily said:

Spoiler for Hiden:
"Hey, let's have you play everything you've already done for a second time!"

My brain said, "Yeah, I don't think so" and I haven't fired it up since.  Keep meaning to go back to it, but just can't generate the interest.
You can do kind of a straight speedrun through that part, which doesn't take more than a few hours.  However, what you just described, it's actually worse than you think.
Spoiler for Hiden:
You actually have to redo that entire reawakening of the crystals 2 more times...or is it 3, I lost track.  It's worth doing the job class fights at least once because the dialogue is different, and the party notices it.  But after that they say the same things.  I'm going to mention a spoiler that can prevent most of that in the next spoiler tag.  You learn it towards the end of that section.  If you don't want to see it, please don't click below.

Spoiler for Hiden:
You don't have to stop pressing X when reawakening a crystal.  You can keep going and overload it.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2014, 05:50:52 PM »

After taking a little over a month break, I finally finished...
Spoiler for Hiden:
both endings.
 I have to believe that many of the reviewers didn't play the full game before they posted 85+ review scores.  I really liked the first half of the game, and would rate that part in the 85-90 range.  And then it just falls apart for the last half of the game.  I don't know what happened, maybe they ran out of time, but holy hell that was a terrible idea.  

There's a good foundation with an interesting, FF Tactics type of job system to build on for the sequel.  I enjoyed the combat and job system.  

More details with end game spoilers:
Spoiler for Hiden:
- After finishing the "normal ending", which seemed kind of blah and anti-climatic, I discovered that there was a "true ending" for players that follow Airy's orders all the way through to the end.

- I must have misunderstood the message and theme of the story, to think on your own, to not just blindly do what you're told.  Because players that do the opposite are rewarded with the good ending.  In fact, Airy basically tells the group in the true ending that they were bunch of idiots, and that she was literally on a ship of fools.  The endings don't seem at all consistent with the theme and message.

- The "true ending" has a lot more additional content.  2 additional multi-stage boss fights.  More cutscenes and dialogue.  More character resolution.  And it unlocks New Game+ and the sequel teaser.

- Thankfully the game saves just before you break the crystal in the normal ending...so I was able to go back and work towards the true ending.

- The true ending requires 5 f'ng 4x crystal resets.  That's 20 times mashing the x button and listening to Airy ask, "Do you need me to explain how to do this again?"  Wth were they thinking?  I was so bored I was actually having a hard time staying awake the past 2 nights grinding through that part.  That's 5 boss battles each against the crystal bosses...20 boss battles in total.  It's stupid.

- I was able to get the normal ending after I reset the crystals 3 times (I blew up the last crystal during my 3rd reset).

- For my 4th and 5th runs of the crystal reset (again...who in their right mind thought this would be fun?), I skipped all the side quests.  F that.  I also turned off random encounters because my characters were all level 90+ by then, and I just wanted to finish the game (the random encounter slide was a godsend).  

- The true ending final boss fight is hard, mostly due to 2 different boss attacks that can wipe the entire party in 1 hit if you're not careful.  Oh and the arbitrary boss self-heals.  It's the only time in the latter part of the game where I actually had to think intelligently and try different job/ability setups to win.  I had 2 party wipes in the last stage of that fight before I succeeded on my 3rd try.

I think the Gaming Trend review of Bravely Default is one of the best out there.  A 75.  BD does some things really well, and shows good potential of what a sequel could be, but the repetition is a killer...and almost kept me from finishing it.  It's almost like they didn't even try for the last 4 chapters.        
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 05:32:41 AM by Roguetad » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »

If anyone else is still playing, I just updated my Summon Friend move.  The new one should heal all your party members for about 5500 health, restore a bunch of MP, and give everyone two BP.  It's a pretty good buff!

-Autistic Angel
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 31, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »

Well, I think I'm almost near the end.  I've unlocked all the job classes, mastered each of them with at least one character, gotten everyone up to Level 99, and completed every side quest in every chapter up through the eighth.  There's just one more beastie to beat, and then I should be off to the final encounter.

Anything else I'd have to say would need to be cloaked in spoiler tags, so I'll just finish for now by saying that I'm really, really glad Gratch pushed Bravely Default as hard as he did.  I don't play many JRPGs because just staring one up is such a big time commitment, but I've really had a blast with this one all the way through! thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: