http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:51:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bravely Default coming to North America  (Read 4843 times)
Victoria Raverna
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2014, 10:41:51 PM »

Quote from: Bob on February 11, 2014, 08:34:04 PM

4527-8857-9907

Added your friend code but you need to add mine for us to be friends in 3ds.

Mine is 0275-7927-6578.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2014, 10:52:22 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 11, 2014, 09:39:41 PM

Speaking of jobs - is it better to keep focused on single jobs or try to branch out more?  Seems like job levels are really slow to advance, and unless you read the guides you have no idea what you might get in the later levels.  So while I'd prefer to just kind of explore the game as it comes to me, the other part of me thinks I should be planning out which jobs to level up to which levels.  Seems optimal would be to choose 2 complimentary jobs for each character to maximize diversity, but I really don't know.  Adding the Friend Abilink factor throws another twist to it; theoretically you could just wait for Gratch to level all the jobs and then get all his skillz lol.

I'm focusing my characters more on archetypes rather than specific jobs.  Tiz and Edea are melee damage dealers, so I'm leveling them in Freelancer, Monk, Knight, and a bit of Thief.  Anges and Ringabel are my mages, so White Mage, Black Mage, Time Mage, and even some Merchant (although I'm not finding that class very useful).  I'm trying to level them equally in those areas so they have a broad range of skills for different situations.  It's getting tougher in Chapter 2 as I unlock more jobs, and I'll need to do a little research on what target skills I should make a beeline for, and which aren't as important or are only situationally useful.

Another recommendation would be to level up pretty evenly through Chapter 1. Depending on how fast you go, that should take you through the first 5-7 levels for each job.  After that, it makes more sense to wait until Chapter 2 when you open up some areas that generate significantly more JP and leveling becomes much easier. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2014, 01:21:11 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 11, 2014, 04:17:04 PM

Alright, folks.  You guys need to update your characters to the servers.  Only person who has done it is Gratch and I abilinked to him for a nice surprise (you've apparently played this game quite a bit).  

Sorry: I've been finishing up the demo.  I think I'm near the end: I've finished building everything in the metatown, and my quest is to "Kill the ???? at the Oasis!"  Once that's done, I'll crack the seal on my Collector's Edition of the full game.

It's a very good demo!  I'm impressed at how well it's done at tutorializing all the basic game systems.  Build up your town for access to better gear; use the better gear to kill the armored monsters; practice using the Default system to survive heavy assaults -- it's all extremely well done.  Not to mention that is has some of the most emphatic and prettiest 3D effects I've seen yet.

I expect to be playing the full game by the weekend, and I'll add EddieA and Bob as 3DS Friends later today! icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »

In the same boat... that option didn't seem to be enabled in the demo. And I *just* got the full game and it isn't enabled for me there yet, either. Hopefully soon...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2014, 03:32:45 PM »

What extra stuff can you do in the game when you exchange friend codes with someone?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2014, 03:38:52 PM »

I got to the forest part and was getting my butt handed to me, but then tried just having everyone but my healer go brave 4 times and was able to clear each encounter first round.  It didn't help that I had just switched two characters jobs around.  Changed Edea from a Black Mage to a Knight with Black Mage spells and then made Ringabel into a Black Mage prime with Time Mage secondary.  Once I get them each higher in their main jobs, I think I will level Ringabel in Time Mage a bit and probably have Edea get one of the new jobs that looks to be coming up based on what I saw in the story.  I've got Tiz leveling up in Monk and have Thief as the secondary.  With Agnes, I still have her as White Mage for main and Sword Fencer secondary.  I was thinking about still leveling her up, but I already have access to Level 3 spells for her, so I think I will make the switch.

Actually, while typing this I made most of the changes.  Going to keep Ringabel as Black Mage until I get to Level 7 to get to the Level 3 spells.  Switched Agnes to main Spell Fencer, Tiz to main Thief, and pulled Edea's second off of Black Mage, since her and Ringabel can now cast the same level and instead put her second as Sword Fencer, just in case I need extra elementalness in a sword attack.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 12, 2014, 03:32:45 PM

What extra stuff can you do in the game when you exchange friend codes with someone?

Couple of things:

1) The biggest one is Abilink.  What it allows you to do is to assign a friend to one of your characters.  That character then has access to all the abilities that your friend has earned.  So, let's say you are a level 1 Black Mage and your friend is Level 10 Black Mage.  You would have access to all the abilities from 1 through 10.
2) The other one, which you can also get from Streetpass and Spotpass is the ability to Summon them during the battle to do whatever action they saved and sent out.
3) I can't remember if you technically get them as a villager as well, but you might.  I've almost gotten Norende fully maxed at this point, but most of that was due to bringing over 20 villagers from the demo and I know you get some every day from Spotpass.  I'm up to 38 villagers now.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:42:49 PM by The Grue » Logged

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »

Mine is 0490-6537-1421

Added everyone who posted. Still confused by how this works of course.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2014, 04:21:54 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 12, 2014, 03:40:42 PM

stuff

Thanks, and wow, I just saw about how the demo is its own separate adventure?!  Downloading now! 

I don't know why I've turned a blind eye to this for so long, but the more I read about it now the more I think I'll love it.  It just seems so delightfully cliche in all the ways I love my JRPGs to be cliche.  Farm boy whose village has an inexplicable disaster?  Sold!
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2014, 04:37:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 12, 2014, 04:21:54 PM

stuff

Thanks, and wow, I just saw about how the demo is its own separate adventure?!  Downloading now! 

I don't know why I've turned a blind eye to this for so long, but the more I read about it now the more I think I'll love it.  It just seems so delightfully cliche in all the ways I love my JRPGs to be cliche.  Farm boy whose village has an inexplicable disaster?  Sold!

Yeah, but they add in some cool mechanics that are not cliche, like being able to turn off random encounters and then autobattle and speeding up combat so that you can grind quicker if needed.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2014, 05:11:20 PM »

3) I can't remember if you technically get them as a villager as well, but you might.  I've almost gotten Norende fully maxed at this point, but most of that was due to bringing over 20 villagers from the demo and I know you get some every day from Spotpass.  I'm up to 38 villagers now.

If you're not maxed, then you do get additional Norende villagers when you add friends.  I was all excited about unlocking the Growth Egg (doubles XP and JP) last night...until I saw how much it costs.  $200K...ouch.

I've got a great Auto-Battle grinding setup right now.  Tiz as a Spell Fencer, Edea as a Ranger (she does crazy damage with an Angel Bow), Anges as a Summoner, and Ringabel as a Thief.  I do max Brave with the three melee attackers, and gave Ringabel the "20% Speed Up" ability.  I set him to steal each enemy at the start of a battle (which nets between 2-4 items every time), then Tiz and Edea come in and mop everyone up in one turn for both the 1-turn Hero and Unscathed Hero bonuses (which add 25-30% to both XP and JP for each battle).  Spent a good 2 hours on the plane yesterday doing nothing but grinding levels with this setup.  The worst feeling is seeing the "Enemy Strikes First" message, because it means I lose my "Unscathed" bonus for JP.   crybaby

I'm assuming I will be doing something with all these "compounding" components I'm getting?  Haven't seen anything yet...

Also, I'm fuzzy on how you activate SP to jump in the turn order at any time.  I have 3 SP points available, but am not sure how to use them. I've even got a tutorial quest sitting in my queue about it, but I haven't figured out how to activate them during battle.   icon_redface

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2014, 05:40:39 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 12, 2014, 05:11:20 PM

Also, I'm fuzzy on how you activate SP to jump in the turn order at any time.  I have 3 SP points available, but am not sure how to use them. I've even got a tutorial quest sitting in my queue about it, but I haven't figured out how to activate them during battle.   icon_redface

All it does is let you do an action no matter what your BP status is.  So, let's say you max Braved and something bad happened and you *have* to get a spell or action out.  Hit Start and you can use SP to do whatever you want right then and there, without worrying about what part in a turn you would have to wait to in order to get it off (you also get to pick who will do it).  I believe you earn 1 SP per 8 hours you leave the game running while the 3DS is in sleep mode and you max out at 3.  Of course, you can also buy them, but no sane person will do that.

Oh, you can also do it either when you're picking your normal actions to start a turn, or even during the middle of the battle.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 12, 2014, 05:40:39 PM

All it does is let you do an action no matter what your BP status is.  So, let's say you max Braved and something bad happened and you *have* to get a spell or action out.  Hit Start and you can use SP to do whatever you want right then and there, without worrying about what part in a turn you would have to wait to in order to get it off (you also get to pick who will do it).  I believe you earn 1 SP per 8 hours you leave the game running while the 3DS is in sleep mode and you max out at 3.  Of course, you can also buy them, but no sane person will do that.

Oh, you can also do it either when you're picking your normal actions to start a turn, or even during the middle of the battle.

Thanks, I apparently missed the "hit start" part of the tutorial and couldn't figure out how to activate it.  smile

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »

Edea is my favorite character so far.  Mrgrgr!  I laugh everytime she says it.  Tiz and Ringabel need their own catch phrase.  Unnaceptable.

I'm still early in the game (Ch2), but so far I've been trying to say focused on archtypes too.  Sounds like I'm following a common approach:  Tiz and Edea are melee, and Agnes and Ringabel are mages.  

My friend code: 5129-1806-6798 (updated with correct code)
Name: Lorcain  
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:37:11 PM by Roguetad » Logged
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2014, 09:44:43 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on February 12, 2014, 07:34:00 PM

I'm still early in the game (Ch2), but so far I've been trying to say focused on archtypes too.  Sounds like I'm following a common approach:  Tiz and Edea are melee, and Agnes and Ringabel are mages. 

At first I went girls as mages and boys as melee, but Gratch's post and some other things I read pointed that Tiz/Edea as melee and Agnes/Ringabel as mages is the better way to go. 

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2014, 09:45:40 PM »

My friend code: 5128-1806-6798

When I type this code in, it says it is invalid.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2014, 10:27:44 PM »

If you're not maxed, then you do get additional Norende villagers when you add friends.

Is there something special you have to do to get regular friends added to the village?  I have a bunch of friends in the game, and I can do everything else with them - Abilink, summon, etc. but the only ones who show up as villagers are the random "internet friends" you can get each day.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 12, 2014, 10:27:44 PM

If you're not maxed, then you do get additional Norende villagers when you add friends.

Is there something special you have to do to get regular friends added to the village?  I have a bunch of friends in the game, and I can do everything else with them - Abilink, summon, etc. but the only ones who show up as villagers are the random "internet friends" you can get each day.

I haven't quite cracked the code with the whole friends thing yet.  Seems like sometimes people show up, and sometimes they don't.  I can't really figure it out.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2014, 10:38:51 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 12, 2014, 09:45:40 PM

My friend code: 5128-1806-6798

When I type this code in, it says it is invalid.
Sorry about that.  I updated my original post.
Correct code: 5129-1806-6798
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2014, 11:19:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 12, 2014, 10:32:06 PM

Quote from: EddieA on February 12, 2014, 10:27:44 PM

I haven't quite cracked the code with the whole friends thing yet.  Seems like sometimes people show up, and sometimes they don't.  I can't really figure it out.

I dunno. I think there's some kind of cap either on friends or internet people or whatever. I just have no idea how it all works.

Also, I've added in everyone who posted their codes here. Looks like I'm friends back with all of you at this point.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2014, 12:07:11 AM »

The more I think about it, the more I think you don't get villagers from Friends.  I think you only get them for your once a day NetFriend request and Streetpasses.  I just added a friend from here just now and I don't believe it gave  me a new villager.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2014, 12:35:40 AM »

I've read there's a cap of 3 new villagers per day.  I don't know if that's true or not.  I think we have to speak to the Adventurer (save guy) to download/upload data.  He has an Update Data option just below Save.  I think we might be able to do that once per day.

Edit:  Update Data seems to send out my profile into the wild to 4 random people.  Add Friends just added 3 of you to my village. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 12:38:45 AM by Roguetad » Logged
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2014, 01:34:41 AM »

You for sure can get 3-5 villagers once a day with Update Data.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »

Don't forget to update your 'special move' that you send over from time to time (under the Summon Friend power in combat). I have a friend of someone who has spent 20 hours in the game, but still has the default equipment and summon. Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »

My god, I can't believe I avoided reading about this game until now.  I had no idea it had that timer-based village restoration aspect.  I'm such a sucker for those.

I'm sold on buying the full game, but I think I'll still finish the demo before doing so.  Can I start adding all y'all with friend codes while I'm on the demo version, or can I only do that from the full game?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »

I summoned The Grue's Edea last night during a difficult job boss fight
Spoiler for Hiden:
against the Summoner and her 2 merciless legionnaire sidekicks
.  She had a Holy Sword attack that hit for like 3,800 points of damage.  So good.  That really helped me out in an otherwise very frustrating fight.  Thumbs up to The Grue for sending over his summoned friend with a really nice attack.

I need to figure out how to boost up my summoned friend attack and update it.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 13, 2014, 04:37:37 PM

My god, I can't believe I avoided reading about this game until now.  I had no idea it had that timer-based village restoration aspect.  I'm such a sucker for those.

I'm sold on buying the full game, but I think I'll still finish the demo before doing so.  Can I start adding all y'all with friend codes while I'm on the demo version, or can I only do that from the full game?

I'm pretty sure that all transfers - I think 20 friends transfer from the demo.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2014, 09:49:48 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 13, 2014, 09:09:51 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on February 13, 2014, 04:37:37 PM

I'm pretty sure that all transfers - I think 20 friends transfer from the demo.

IMHO, finishing the demo is absolutely not needed. All it gives you are a few starter items to (slightly) help you on your way.

Although yes, any friends you got for your town transfer on over. That said, you can't transfer townspeople from the retail game back down to the demo. But add away the friend codes. I could always use more slav...er, townspeople for my place. biggrin

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 13, 2014, 09:49:48 PM

IMHO, finishing the demo is absolutely not needed. All it gives you are a few starter items to (slightly) help you on your way.

Thanks.  In that case, I think I'll just play up to the exploit that lets you get 20 townspeople real quick and then switch to the main game at that point.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2014, 03:35:36 AM »

Ok, I'm in!  My code: 1048-9384-4546 

And because I can't help it, here's a compiled list of everyone's codes from the thread so far (plus Lorini from OO)

Lorini   4613-7037-7359
MonkeyFinger   5000-2195-0598
Grue   3050-7587-6694
rittchard   5129-0595-9119
Gratch   2165-5396-7217
Victoria Raverna   0275-7927-6578
Autistic Angel   4596-9565-6482
Destructor   3754-7960-9377
EddieA   1246-9086-3739
Bob   4527-8857-9907
Lee   0490-6537-1421
Roguetad   5129-1806-6798
wonderpug   1048-9384-4546
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »

I double-checked, and I believe I have everyone on that list registered as Friends.  The only requests that haven't been accepted yet are TheGrue and Lorini.

I also finished all the demo upgrades and beat the ???? at the end, so I'm ready to jump into the full game.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to start later today!

-Autistic Angel
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2014, 03:41:49 PM »

Not much time to play so my char won't have any skills but my code is

5429-8664-7923

I'll add the others listed here
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2014, 03:47:19 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 14, 2014, 01:25:04 PM

I double-checked, and I believe I have everyone on that list registered as Friends.  The only requests that haven't been accepted yet are TheGrue and Lorini.

I also finished all the demo upgrades and beat the ???? at the end, so I'm ready to jump into the full game.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to start later today!

-Autistic Angel

Thought I had you added, but I guess I didn't.  You're added now.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 14, 2014, 01:25:04 PM

I don't think this is a spoiler but you will see all the assets from the demo in the main game, including the ???? at the end and various ???? maps lol.

The one thing that is nice about the demo is you get to experiment with the different jobs without needing to wait to unlock them as you do in the full game.  The bad thing is you might get spoiled by having access to those classes and in the real game you have no idea when you'll get a chance to get them.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »

I added everyone on the list.

1650-1593-4695

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2014, 10:13:23 PM »

Ok, I am confused. I added people as friends (need to add the people who have posted recently still) and they show as 3DS friends, but in the game no one shows up. How do I get everyone in the game, I go to friends in game and it's blank.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2014, 11:44:52 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 14, 2014, 10:13:23 PM

Ok, I am confused. I added people as friends (need to add the people who have posted recently still) and they show as 3DS friends, but in the game no one shows up. How do I get everyone in the game, I go to friends in game and it's blank.

It seems a bit odd to me, but I think there's some daily time limit of when you can add or update.  In the Save Menu there's an "Add Friends" as well as an "Update Data" option.  I hit them both periodically and hope for the best.  Don't worry though, eventually you'll have plenty of people in your town if you keep doing this.

Now you also get Nemeses when you do this - is there anything bad about these?  I've killed a couple of them and they do give decent xp.  There doesn't seem to be any other reason to get rid of them aside from general annoyance?  Some of mine are lvl 99 so I don't see being able to take them out anyway.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2014, 11:47:46 PM »

Adding friends through friend codes doesn't add people to your village, it gives you that "Abilink" thing and the ability to call your friend into battle if they've sent a move to the world.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2014, 11:52:47 PM »

Thanks rittchard. I have to say, after 6 hours into it, I still feel like I am battling the interface. I am rusty, or old.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2014, 12:29:33 AM »

Quote from: Lee on February 14, 2014, 11:52:47 PM

Thanks rittchard. I have to say, after 6 hours into it, I still feel like I am battling the interface. I am rusty, or old.

Anything in particular throwing you off?  Some of the game mechanics I don't think are explained very well, such as assigning subjobs and sub-abilities, but the interface itself seems pretty snappy to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: