http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 10:27:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bravely Default coming to North America  (Read 5349 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »

I think the reason it isn't a Final Fantasy game is so that people don't get confused.  Really if it was Final Fantasy 15 (16?) and then you saw Final Fantasy 13 - Lightning Returns next to it at the store wouldn't you be confused?  I would.  They seem like completely different types of games.  Heck they are different types of games so I can see how if Square decided "Final Fantasy" would now be what we see with Lightning Returns they needed a new name for the classic Final Fantasy type of game. 

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 24, 2014, 02:51:36 PM

I think the reason it isn't a Final Fantasy game is so that people don't get confused.  Really if it was Final Fantasy 15 (16?) and then you saw Final Fantasy 13 - Lightning Returns next to it at the store wouldn't you be confused?  I would.  They seem like completely different types of games.  Heck they are different types of games so I can see how if Square decided "Final Fantasy" would now be what we see with Lightning Returns they needed a new name for the classic Final Fantasy type of game. 

Yeah, I guess since it is its own story, that makes sense.  They also could have potentially set it in the XIII world, had some cameos from Lightning, and made it a FF game.  At any rate, I have been very stoked for this game.  Almost time to come out!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 24, 2014, 02:51:36 PM

I guess I was thinking more a part of the Final Fantasy Heroes of Light series, not in the main FF line.

http://ff4heroes.com/na/

davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »

My review: http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/love-grind-bravely-default-review/

Loved the combat, but wished the story was more interesting.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 06:11:15 PM »

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to getting the box version vs. downloading from the store?  I suspect not but just curious.

I'm curious how the town portion impacts the rest of the game.  It seems like you have to keep it going to get access to better gear?  The good news is playing the demo I've found I seem to be more attached to the game in general because even if I have no time to play, I'll periodically check in and make sure my upgrades are done and start the next one.  I hope/assume that we're only seeing a limited version of the town in the demo? 
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2014, 08:22:31 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 29, 2014, 06:11:15 PM

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to getting the box version vs. downloading from the store?  I suspect not but just curious.

I'm curious how the town portion impacts the rest of the game.  It seems like you have to keep it going to get access to better gear?  The good news is playing the demo I've found I seem to be more attached to the game in general because even if I have no time to play, I'll periodically check in and make sure my upgrades are done and start the next one.  I hope/assume that we're only seeing a limited version of the town in the demo? 

The collector's edition of the box has a bunch of AR cards that don't do a whole lot other than play little cutscenes in your living room.

The town doesn't affect your ability to get better gear, but it means that you'll be able to buy items at save points. At first, you won't be able to buy anything, but as you unlock more stuff in the stores, you'll be able to buy potions, phoenix downs, and various weapons and accessories at a save point, rather than having to truck it back to the city to restock. It's not necessary, but it definitely helps.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2014, 11:18:47 PM »

Kotaku did a really interesting article about how Bravely Default fits within the "big boys" at Squeenix (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest).

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 06:40:21 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 31, 2014, 11:18:47 PM

Kotaku did a really interesting article about how Bravely Default fits within the "big boys" at Squeenix (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest).

Nice article, very interesting read!  Personally I still think it's silly to essentially be creating a new "franchise" (ostensibly to set yourself apart from the old one), but then use 90% of the same conventions and details in the game itself, down to the names of spells.  Seriously this feels more like a straight FF (or FF Heroes of Light) sequel than Dragon Age 2 did to Dragon Age 1 lol.  And honestly I don't think there's a valid reason to try to distance yourself from FF, particularly if you align yourself with the more "classic" elements. 

- - -

Thanks David for the info on the Collector's Edition.  I can't seem to find it available anywhere which is kind of annoying.  Seems like it's sold out everywhere?

- - -

I finally finished the Demo last night.  Overall enjoyed it quite a bit.  I definitely like the old school feel to it, but love some of the new options like being able to shut off random encounters or adjust difficulty on the fly.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »

Gametrailers review

Very positive.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »

Downloaded it last night and loaded it this morning to get my demo goodies.  Looking forward to playing it today.  Basically watched cut scenes until I could save.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »

A bit of a snag for me.  My SD card didn't have enough room to download BD so I downloaded to a new card.  I thought it would be easy to transfer the data over but for some reason it's not seeing the old programs and save data on the new one.  It's not a big deal, just a little annoying I can't access the demo reward goodies.

Other than that, the game itself still seems pretty fantastic.  Hope to get some quality time this weekend.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2014, 08:53:58 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 07, 2014, 07:41:51 PM

A bit of a snag for me.  My SD card didn't have enough room to download BD so I downloaded to a new card.  I thought it would be easy to transfer the data over but for some reason it's not seeing the old programs and save data on the new one.  It's not a big deal, just a little annoying I can't access the demo reward goodies.

Other than that, the game itself still seems pretty fantastic.  Hope to get some quality time this weekend.

It should be easy to do that. I have done it several times before.

My procedure to switch to new SD:

1. Unplug old SD.
2. Copy all content of the SD to a folder on my PC.
3. Insert an empty new SD.
4. Copy all content from the folder to the new SD.
5. Plug in the new SD.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2014, 10:24:33 PM »

Thought some of you might benefit from this, plus I will be able to find it when I get around to playing this

Tips For Playing Bravely Default from Kotaku

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2014, 11:02:06 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on February 07, 2014, 08:53:58 PM

Quote from: rittchard on February 07, 2014, 07:41:51 PM

It should be easy to do that. I have done it several times before.

My procedure to switch to new SD:

1. Unplug old SD.
2. Copy all content of the SD to a folder on my PC.
3. Insert an empty new SD.
4. Copy all content from the folder to the new SD.
5. Plug in the new SD.

Thanks - unfortunately I kind of screwed it up myself.  I had already downloaded it to a new card last night, and then tried copying the old files over onto the new card.  Apparently it didn't like that.  If I was desperate I believe I'd have to clear the new card and do what you suggested and then re-download BD, but at this point it's probably not worth it. 

Another question though, how do we add each other as internet friends?

P.S.  Really lovin the game so far, though I'm only an hour in lol.  Something about the graphical style and dialog is just all around comforting.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2014, 01:10:54 AM »

I think we need to compile a list of Friend Codes so we can send and accept requests.

I have no idea where to find my Friend Code, though. icon_frown

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2014, 02:33:04 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 08, 2014, 01:10:54 AM

I think we need to compile a list of Friend Codes so we can send and accept requests.

-Autistic Angel

I'm in the same boat.  If anyone is DS capable (unlike Autistic Demon and I), please let us know how to go about doing this.

Wonder Twins are in bed, and I've only got Little B 4.11 to go before I can fire this up.  I even blew the dust off my DS last night and made sure it was charged up.  smile  Pretty excited to finally give it a go. 

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2014, 03:01:32 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 08, 2014, 02:33:04 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 08, 2014, 01:10:54 AM

-Autistic Angel

I'm in the same boat.  If anyone is DS capable (unlike Autistic Demon and I), please let us know how to go about doing this.

Wonder Twins are in bed, and I've only got Little B 4.11 to go before I can fire this up.  I even blew the dust off my DS last night and made sure it was charged up.  smile  Pretty excited to finally give it a go. 

I think it is done through the normal 3DS friend code.  Then when you go to Add Friends via Internet, it goes out and look for those who have Bravely Default as well.  For two systems to be friends, both have to have invited each other.  I will look in the 3DS thread in Multiplayer to see if you guys are maybe there. 

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2014, 03:03:58 AM »

Actually, looks like you guy's aren't.  I will throw my code in here.  To get to this, go to the square smiley face icon on the normal 3DS screen that is up in the top middle and in there, go to your own Mii and your code is there.  Mine is:  3050-7587-6694.  Once in there, click on the icon with the plus on it to add people.  Start punching in codes that hopefully you guys will post in here and once a pair of people enter the codes, they are considered friends.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2014, 03:11:11 AM »

Thanks Grue!  Here's mine:  5129-0595-9119
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2014, 05:10:28 AM »

Looks like mine is 2165-5396-7217.  I'll try to add a few of you guys tonight.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2014, 05:27:40 AM »

First impressions after 2 hours...I'm extremely impressed by this game.  Feels a lot like FF IX to me, in the art style, the character design, the overall world, the music, etc.  The Brave/Default mechanic adds a unique twist to standard RPG combat and while I haven't had to use it much yet, I'm very interested to see how complex some of the more difficult battles will get.  The job system is very reminiscent of FF Tactics or some of the older FF titles, and will require a little research on how best to develop a character.  Being able to mix and match skills from different jobs seems like it will allow for endless flexibility down the road. 

I always reserve a actual judgement on JRPGs until I hit the 8 hour mark, but the early impressions with this one are extremely positive.  I was more than a little worried it wouldn't live up to all the hype it's getting, but it's even a bit better than I expected so far (granted, I'm very early on).  My only minor gripe is the single save slot.

Victoria Raverna

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2014, 10:23:56 AM »

Mine is 0275-7927-6578.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »

Mine is 5000-2195-0598

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2014, 03:00:14 AM »

It turns out I'm 4596-9565-6482.

EDIT: I've also added The Grue, rittchard, Gratch, Victoria Raverna, and MonkeyFinger to my 3DS Friends List.

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:05:50 AM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Victoria Raverna

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2014, 04:01:49 AM »

I added everyone that posted their friend codes here. For those that new to this, we need to add each other's friend codes. If I added your friend code but you didn't add mine then we're still not friend to each other in 3DS friend list.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 08, 2014, 05:27:40 AM

My only minor gripe is the single save slot.

I see 3 when I start up my game. And there's even a copy command available. Is yours a retail or download copy (mine is retail)?

My Friend Code is 3754-7960-9377. Hope to see a bunch of you online as our towns need to be rebuilt! biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 09, 2014, 04:28:30 PM

Quote from: Gratch on February 08, 2014, 05:27:40 AM

My only minor gripe is the single save slot.

I see 3 when I start up my game. And there's even a copy command available. Is yours a retail or download copy (mine is retail)?

When I save, it simply asks me if I want to save and doesn't give any options for different slots.  That's why I assumed there was only one.  Mine is retail as well.  Odd...

My Friend Code is 3754-7960-9377. Hope to see a bunch of you online as our towns need to be rebuilt! biggrin

Seeing some oddities here as well.  I'm friends with 6 folks here:  Rittchard, Victoria, Grue, Monkeyfinger, Destructor, and Autistic Angel.  However, only three of them (Rittch, Victoria, Grue) are showing up on my in-game friends list.  I've tried updating through the adventurer, and he tells me "There are no friends registered on this system that can be added at this time".  I did get a bunch of random people through the daily NetInvite, but I can't get Monkey, Destructor, or AA to show up.  Says there's a limit of 20 and I've only used 3 slots, so I don't think that's the issue.  I'm completely new with the whole "friends" thing through DS, so maybe there's something I'm missing.  Any ideas?  Also, my profile name shows up as "Tash" for some reason, and I can't figure out where to change it.  I switched it to Gratch in my profile, but it still always shows up as Tash.  Not even sure where that came from, LOL.

I'm just about at the 8 hour mark, and would give Bravely Default a huge thumbs up.  It's an absolute blast to play, and is probably the most fun I've had with a JRPG since FF XII.  The story isn't the greatest, but the characters and dialog have been fantastic so far.  I just unlocked two more jobs through side quests (thief and merchant), so now I need to do a little research to figure out the best classes to level to get the best skills. smile  BD takes the best parts of a lot of different JRPG's and puts them together into a fantastic package.   I love some of the customization options like being able to increase or decrease the encounter rate (great for grinding or backtracking out of a dungeon without having to do a bunch random battles) and being able to speed up the battle animations (again, makes grinding a lot less painful).  Finally starting to unlock some very useful support skills, and feel like my party is very well-rounded.

It's still strange to me that the decided not to use the Final Fantasy name for this.  It's FF down to the core, and it seems like slapping that name on the cover would generate more sales without having to change a single thing.  Odd choice.

Victoria Raverna

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2014, 07:46:37 PM »

About friends not appearing in game. Maybe they haven't added your friend code on their 3DS. Are you sure that they're now friend with you not just "provisionally registered friend"?

Another possibility is that they haven't started playing Bravely Default or haven't enabled the internet functionality in game.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:48:54 PM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2014, 07:50:03 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on February 09, 2014, 07:46:37 PM

About friends not appearing in game. Maybe they haven't added your friend code on their 3DS. Are you sure that they're now friend with you not just "provisionally registered friend"?

Another possibility is that they haven't started playing Bravely Default or haven't enabled the internet functionality in game.

Yeah, they're all showing up as fully registered.

Do friends have to actually be online at the same in order to add them to the list?  Maybe that's it...just haven't tried to update when anyone else is on...

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2014, 08:49:26 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 09, 2014, 07:50:03 PM

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on February 09, 2014, 07:46:37 PM

Yeah, they're all showing up as fully registered.

Do friends have to actually be online at the same in order to add them to the list?  Maybe that's it...just haven't tried to update when anyone else is on...

I still only have the demo (until Wednesday) so that's probably an issue as well.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2014, 09:09:24 PM »

As far as my town goes, I didn't get a chance to get to that point in the game this morning. But I did add all the listed codes into my 3DS (so it'll fully 'friend' you all once you friend me). Once I get back home and a bit further into the game, I'll be able to update my town stuff and whatever.

And it sounds like that your town info goes into Squenix's central server once you upload it - so there's no need to be online at the time.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2014, 02:00:24 AM »

Here's my friend code : 1246-9086-3739  I've added everyone who's posted a code in this thread.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2014, 04:58:03 AM »

I typically don't play 3DS games when I travel.  I've got a mental hang up about the social stigma of a nearly-40-year-old playing games in public.  Stupid, I know.  I'm so captivated by this game that I spent nearly 4 hours in the airport and on my flight today playing.  That's never happened before.  Even got my first Streetpass connection and added 2 more people to my village.  smile  Got through the first major story point (minor spoiler):

Spoiler for Hiden:
reviving the Wind crystal

A word of caution for anyone looking up party builds on GameFAQs.  There are a couple of pretty major untagged spoilers in some of the FAQ lists.  frown  This one does have an excellent listing of the skills for each job...just don't look at the recommended party builds or boss strategies.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:05:14 AM by Gratch » Logged

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2014, 03:28:11 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 09, 2014, 09:09:24 PM

As far as my town goes, I didn't get a chance to get to that point in the game this morning. But I did add all the listed codes into my 3DS (so it'll fully 'friend' you all once you friend me). Once I get back home and a bit further into the game, I'll be able to update my town stuff and whatever.

And it sounds like that your town info goes into Squenix's central server once you upload it - so there's no need to be online at the time.

When I go to add you, it acts like you didn't already add me.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 10, 2014, 03:28:11 PM

Quote from: Destructor on February 09, 2014, 09:09:24 PM

When I go to add you, it acts like you didn't already add me.

Because I think we've been just using this thread to pass around codes and not the central one. Tongue

Done. Also there seems to be a cap on how many friends you can gain in a single day (for your town and such), which I think is at 4. I dunno for sure though.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2014, 04:59:12 PM »

Cool, it added you now.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 10, 2014, 04:58:03 AM

I typically don't play 3DS games when I travel.  I've got a mental hang up about the social stigma of a nearly-40-year-old playing games in public.  Stupid, I know.  I'm so captivated by this game that I spent nearly 4 hours in the airport and on my flight today playing.  That's never happened before.

If it makes you feel better I'm 45 and I brought it with me to Denny's to play lol.  Haven't done that in ages!!!

Definitely loving the game.  Oh sure I have many minor nits (like some the voice acting, eek) but in general it's just a ton of old school fun mixed with new school features to let you play the game with as much or little frustration as you want.  That's something the traditional JRPGs never did. 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »

Alright, folks.  You guys need to update your characters to the servers.  Only person who has done it is Gratch and I abilinked to him for a nice surprise (you've apparently played this game quite a bit).  Also, don't forget to update your Summon here and there as well.  Most of you have a Power 30-something summon.  I need to update mine as well (was going to do it on a boss battle, but the guy I was going to do it with died and then I had to resurrect him and I beat the battle before I could).  When you go to Save, choose Update Data and it should get the latest version of your Friends and update your latest version.  When it is done, it will tell you who it got an update for.

Obviously at the beginning of the game, we'll all pretty much have the same job classes leveled as you basically get Monk, Black Mage, White Mage, Knight, Monk, and Freelance as part of the story (and can get Thief and Merchant pretty quickly), but eventually we'll all spread out and it can be cool to get an ability from another job that you didn't even level in.

My Monk has Knight as his second and it's nice having the defensive stuff that Gratch has leveled in that class without me having to actually level it.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2014, 08:34:04 PM »

4527-8857-9907
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »

Speaking of jobs - is it better to keep focused on single jobs or try to branch out more?  Seems like job levels are really slow to advance, and unless you read the guides you have no idea what you might get in the later levels.  So while I'd prefer to just kind of explore the game as it comes to me, the other part of me thinks I should be planning out which jobs to level up to which levels.  Seems optimal would be to choose 2 complimentary jobs for each character to maximize diversity, but I really don't know.  Adding the Friend Abilink factor throws another twist to it; theoretically you could just wait for Gratch to level all the jobs and then get all his skillz lol.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: