http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:19:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bravely Default coming to North America  (Read 4698 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »

While Square Enix hasn't made an official announcement, Siliconera is reporting that Bravely Default, the 3DS spiritual successor to the DS's Final Fantasy : Four Heroes of Light, will be released in North America.  Now they just need to confirm Dragon Quest VII for 3DS, and I'll be happy.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:12:20 PM »

Awesome!  Been hoping this one would come over.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »

Square Enix is releasing an enhanced version of the game in Japan, and the US/European version will be based on that smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »

Here's the first in a series of English trailers.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:55:38 PM »

I just watched a 30 minute Youtube of game play and it looks pretty great.

What I still don't understand is why the Japanese don't have numbers.  The menus are in Japanese but when they heal or hurt the amount of damage is in roman numerals.   Did the Japanese have no way to write "2" until the met people from the West?

Anyway watching it just got me more excited and with no firm release date I probably should stop watching this kind of thing so I don't burn out.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:04:09 PM by farley2k » Logged

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 05:09:58 PM »

Who the f*ck picks the English titles for their games? If it's a straight translation, then they need to start putting some interpretation into it, because a lot of their titles come off as word salad to me.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:27:31 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on September 27, 2013, 05:09:58 PM

Who the f*ck picks the English titles for their games? If it's a straight translation, then they need to start putting some interpretation into it, because a lot of their titles come off as word salad to me.

They also need to fire every single 'voice actor' they used in their latest English trailer because holy hell it was terrible.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 11:45:30 PM »

Bravely Default?  Is this a housing market simulator set in 2009?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »

Character trailer The voice acting sounds a lot better in this one.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »

I understand localization somewhat but I don't understand this

Bravely Default will released in Europe on December 6th, Nintendo announced this morning during a Nintendo Direct presentation. Meanwhile, North America will get the game sometime during the first quarter of 2014.

What changes need to be made between the European version and the NA version? 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on October 02, 2013, 04:53:21 PM

I understand localization somewhat but I don't understand this

Bravely Default will released in Europe on December 6th, Nintendo announced this morning during a Nintendo Direct presentation. Meanwhile, North America will get the game sometime during the first quarter of 2014.

What changes need to be made between the European version and the NA version? 

they need to remove all the extra vowels.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »

Feb 7th for those of us in the US

The lovely 3DS role-playing game Bravely Default is out on February 7 in North America, Nintendo just announced. Looks like they're ditching the subtitle for this one.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »

It just received a very positive review from IGN.  I hadn't paid much attention to this, but it has jumped near the top of my "must have" list.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »

The demo is up!  I will be getting it as soon as I get home!

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 01:14:25 PM »

Isn't the demo an optional side-story that doesn't appear in the main game, similar to how the Dead Rising 2 demo was handled?  We should probably have Gratch check it out to be sure!

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 01:55:31 PM »

I started up to the demo, went out into the world and into a dungeon, and was promptly one-hit killed by the first monster. Guess I will have to read a little closer about where I'm supposed to go smile

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 03, 2014, 01:55:31 PM

I started up to the demo, went out into the world and into a dungeon, and was promptly one-hit killed by the first monster. Guess I will have to read a little closer about where I'm supposed to go smile

Even at level 2 with all my money spent on equipment, I still barely survived my first battle in the first dungeon.  I'm thinking you're either supposed to level up in the wilderness first, or I'm not using the battle system correctly.  I'm loving the demo, though.  The game is absolutely beautiful, and the gameplay looks very deep.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 03, 2014, 01:14:25 PM

Isn't the demo an optional side-story that doesn't appear in the main game, similar to how the Dead Rising 2 demo was handled?  We should probably have Gratch check it out to be sure!

-Autistic Angel

Yes it is.  And you can bring over a lot of stuff and I swear I saw what exactly came over once I but I can't find the quote.  I believe items and the town you build might come over but not you levels.  However, like I said I can't find the exact information.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 10:53:39 PM »

I thought this Kotaku headline was amusing:  "Our Bravely Default Isn't As Young And Undressed As Japan's"

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »

I've only tried the demo once so far and it was late at night after a long day, I found it to be somewhat... confusing. Hopefully another try or two in the daylight with fresh brainz will help.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 03, 2014, 04:30:39 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 03, 2014, 01:14:25 PM

Yes it is.  And you can bring over a lot of stuff and I swear I saw what exactly came over once I but I can't find the quote.  I believe items and the town you build might come over but not you levels.  However, like I said I can't find the exact information.

FYI - the guy standing to the left of the throne explains all that.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 03:51:44 AM »

Messed around with the demo a little bit tonight.  Looks and sounds awesome, and I'm very intrigued by the job system that looks to be reminiscent of FF Tactics. 

I'm far less enthused about it telling me to "connect with my friends" so I can progress more quickly through the building stages.   

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 02:33:02 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 05, 2014, 03:51:44 AM

I'm far less enthused about it telling me to "connect with my friends" so I can progress more quickly through the building stages.  

FYI - building ONLY happens when you're playing the game or have it paused in Streetpass mode. It does NOT advance when the console is fully off or if you're playing something else.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:19:11 AM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 04:48:12 AM »

Everytime I see this thread (and it keeps getting bumped), I think of this.

Perhaps my brain is malfunctioning. frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 01:55:53 AM »

Oh Asia, what is it with your art directors and scantily clad children?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 03:01:22 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 06, 2014, 02:33:02 AM

Quote from: Gratch on January 05, 2014, 03:51:44 AM

FYI - building ONLY happens when you're playing the game or have it paused in Streetpass mode. It does NOT advance when the console is fully off or if you're playing something else.

I guess that's good...seeing as how I don't even know what Streetpass is.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 12:12:16 PM »

Streetpass Mode is when you leave your game running and the wireless antenna on, but close the lid on the 3DS.  The idea is that as you carry your 3DS around throughout the day, you will pass near enough to other people who also have a suspended 3DS in their pockets that the systems will ping each other and unlock special stuff.

In the context of Bravely Default, the additional takeaway is that building time passes while the system is in suspend mode, but not while it's off.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 07, 2014, 12:12:16 PM

Streetpass Mode is when you leave your game running and the wireless antenna on, but close the lid on the 3DS.  The idea is that as you carry your 3DS around throughout the day, you will pass near enough to other people who also have a suspended 3DS in their pockets that the systems will ping each other and unlock special stuff.

In the context of Bravely Default, the additional takeaway is that building time passes while the system is in suspend mode, but not while it's off.

-Autistic Angel

Ah, thanks.  Even if I did carry it around for some reason, the chances of me crossing paths with another person who even owned a DS - much less had one on and in their pocket - are exactly zero.  smile

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 02:44:01 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 07, 2014, 12:47:04 PM

-Autistic Angel

Ah, thanks.  Even if I did carry it around for some reason, the chances of me crossing paths with another person who even owned a DS - much less had one on and in their pocket - are exactly zero.  smile

Go to E3.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »

-Autistic Angel

It's easier now that there's Streetpass Relay which means that places like Starbucks that have Nintendo Zone will store the last 6 people who passed by and then you can Streetpass them by going there.  Not sure where you live, but maybe that will help you.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 07, 2014, 03:12:26 PM

-Autistic Angel

It's easier now that there's Streetpass Relay which means that places like Starbucks that have Nintendo Zone will store the last 6 people who passed by and then you can Streetpass them by going there.  Not sure where you live, but maybe that will help you.

Thanks...all of this social gaming nonsense is lost on me.  Other than occasional hotels when I travel, my devices have never seen any wi-fi except the one at my house.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »

Thankfully, you don't need to use StreetPass for Bravely Default.  You can add residents to your city over the internet or just keep the game running in sleep mode to wait out the building times.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 04:22:38 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 07, 2014, 09:25:44 PM

Thankfully, you don't need to use StreetPass for Bravely Default.  You can add residents to your city over the internet or just keep the game running in sleep mode to wait out the building times.

Yup. The full game will have a daily 'phone home to the server' thing where you'll get more townspeople, as well as just adding friends directly over the internet (so like for people here who buy the game).

And keeping your console in StreetPass mode (lid down and game paused) is useful as every 8 hours that way you'll get a token for a free turn that you can spend whenever you want (max of 3). Or you can buy said turns via RMT (yes, seriously).

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »

Got the 7th bonus item this morning. Spent about 8 hours with the demo and am so ready for the full release to come.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2014, 11:06:47 PM »

New trailer:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/bravely_default_flying_fairy/b/3ds/archive/2014/01/22/new-bravely-default-trailer-offers-story-and-character-overview.aspx
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 07:49:34 PM »

I finally downloaded the demo last night (side note: wtf is up with consoles these days?  to get the demo had to update the system, create an account, create a Mii, link the account, verify via email, etc etc back and forth just to get access to download.  If I was a kid I would have been crying or lost patience way before I got to play.)

Back to the demo - game looks like a lot of fun, particularly the job system.  Combat seems really tough, and clearly you aren't meant to wander into some places before you are ready lol.  I don't know if I did something wrong or what, but I spent most of my cash on Cura, but no one seems able to cast it.  So I'm kind of screwed it seems - I'm shifting to Easy difficulty until I figure out what's going on.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »

It tosses you in with little explanation I will admit.

I was dying like crazy until I stopped trying to level up the Freelancer job.  Once I switched my fighters to ninjas or valkyries fights got a lot easier.

As for spells remember you can buy any spell but you can't use a spell until you are a high enough level in the right job.  So a 1st level white mage can case cure but to cast cura you need to be a 3rd level white mage.  That isn't really explained but the names are similar to other FF games so it stays a bit consistent.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2014, 10:25:33 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 23, 2014, 07:49:34 PM

I finally downloaded the demo last night (side note: wtf is up with consoles these days?  to get the demo had to update the system, create an account, create a Mii, link the account, verify via email, etc etc back and forth just to get access to download.  If I was a kid I would have been crying or lost patience way before I got to play.)

Back to the demo - game looks like a lot of fun, particularly the job system.  Combat seems really tough, and clearly you aren't meant to wander into some places before you are ready lol.  I don't know if I did something wrong or what, but I spent most of my cash on Cura, but no one seems able to cast it.  So I'm kind of screwed it seems - I'm shifting to Easy difficulty until I figure out what's going on.

To be fair, that process you went through is a one time thing that came with the Miiverse for 3DS update.  You'll not have to do it again.

In order to use Cura, you need to have someone have the job of either Red Mage or White Mage, the Job Command in abilities set to WHM or RDM, and then that particular job (WHM or RDM) has to have been leveled up to the level that allows you to use Cura (which is not the first level version of that spell, so if you are just starting out, just buy Cure).

Also, start out by going to the west (but get some experience by just battling the stuff in the general overworld.  The other directions are harder.  The area to the northeast is the second area you are meant to go to, and the area south is the last.  Basically, follow the quests (you can get one at a time) and that will kind of guide you where you need to go.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 01:05:25 AM »

Thanks for the tips!!  It is interesting how they use all the FF conventions/classes and spell names, but don't call it an FF game, was there a reason for that?

- - -

As for my whiny thing, I guess it's just been frustrating lately.  It seems like lately every console I have if I don't maintain regularly I end up spending half an hour or more doing updates and downloads and reboots and account changes.  It's almost as bad as keeping the PC up to date!  Of course this is partially my own fault since I have so many consoles lol.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 03:42:09 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 24, 2014, 01:05:25 AM

Thanks for the tips!!  It is interesting how they use all the FF conventions/classes and spell names, but don't call it an FF game, was there a reason for that?

You know, I'm not sure.  As much as I love Final Fantasy, I guess I am kind of glad they did it this way.  People won't moan that FF sucks these days (I personally loved the XIII series), you get a new universe that they could potentially grow and it all feels like an old Final Fantasy game...everyone wins!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: