http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 12:37:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Vita] Touch My Katamari  (Read 547 times)
DonD
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:19:24 PM »

If you've played a Katamari game before, you know what to expect here.  Start with a sticky ball and roll around picking up items smaller than you, which increases your size and allows you to pick up bigger things.  Each level needs you to reach a certain size within the time limit.

I find the game to be fun and relaxing, but the difficulty is just a bit higher than I would like.

The first few levels are easy enough, but once you need to get your Katamari to a size of meters, it becomes much more difficult.  I don't mind retrying levels if I fail, but I really, really dislike the way the way the game yells at you for failing.  It scolds you, with a real attitude of 'WTF do you think you are doing?  You are wasting mine and everyone else's time.  You absolute failure.'

I just click through that stuff and I'm on to my next attempt.

My daughter (age 8.) wanted to play the game, and it's a harmless enough game, so why not?  Well, she didn't succeed, and when the failure text came up, she was in tears.  It is incredibly mean spirited, and doesn't need to be that way.  What about 'try again, you were so close?'.  Encouragement?

It would also be nice to have more levels of the 'roll up 50 objects' type, which she could play without having to worry about failing, or maybe a way you can roll up to whatever size is needed without failing (giving credit for you're rolled up items, maybe at a reduced rate or not unlocking the next area).

The game's name is also something that seems..questionable.  Too much like a euphemism for my taste.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 02:57:56 PM »

Well, the game has skirted innuendo since the beginning (though given the bright color palette, they should be more careful, maybe).

The difficulty thing has been a problem with Katamari for a while.  It wasn't there in the first game, or at least it had a more gentle learning curve.  But in subsequent games, they seem to have been assuming that you have been building your skills with each game in the series.

It's surprising they continued that with this one, though, since the tone of the game is all about how the fans are complaining that the King (and the game, by extension) has gotten stale.  It's very self-aware and they seem to be making strides to go back to the old ways, and make this game approachable for new players.

I have played a few levels, and while I haven't failed, the King has been disappointed a number of times (less so than in the last couple of games, at least), but there's little indication of where you might have displeased him.  Was it not big enough?  Did I not get enough of the particular type of item (which is a stupid request, anyway, given how hard it is to tell what the hell you're picking up)?

The berating thing feels very Japanese, but you're absolutely right, it has a side effect of making me not want to continue playing.

It's too bad, too, since this seems to be otherwise the best Katamari game in ages.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:02:36 PM »

Yeah, the other games in the series are like that too. Don't most of them have a free-rolling mode you can unlock? That might work better for her if it has one. The kata,ari games are HARD, and if you don't get off to a good start in the opening seconds, consider yourself screwed. It is very difficult to overcome a poor start, IMO.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »

Wow, I was considering picking this game up today but you guys may have just talked me out of it.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 06:15:57 PM »

It's still good.  One of the better versions in recent years, in fact.  It just has some of the same issues.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »

After you successfully complete all of the levels (there are only 10 or so), a guy appears that sells an endless mode.  You buy each level's endless mode for somewhere around 100 candies.  You can easily get that much candy just buy completing 1 level.

So now, we're all happy.  It's essentially a no-fail mode.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: