http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 08:59:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Vita] PSP Game Recommendations?  (Read 2988 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:27:02 PM »

I got starry-eyed last night looking through the list of PSP games available for download.  I ended up getting Disgaea 2 for the moment.  It looks like there are a whole bunch of great titles I missed the last couple of years, but I don't want to get overwhelmed.  Are there any "must haves"?

In general, my favorite mobile games are ARPGs and TBS, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good shooter or fighter or whateve, particularly if the price is right.

I was looking at Lord of Arcana but it seems like it got really bad reviews...  I'll probably pick up Eye of Judgment Legends for a card gaming fix, might also be fun MP if it has it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:34:01 PM by rittchard » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 04:05:03 AM »

-  Final Fantasy Tactics:  War of the Lions is the finest turn-based strategy game ever created.
-  Tactics Ogre is made by the same team as FF Tactics, and has a very similar look and feel.
-  Jeanne D'Arc is a very fun SRPG, if a little on the easy side
-  The God of War games are fantastic
-  Loco Roco 2 is an absolute blast
-  Final Fantasy 7:  Crisis Core is a must-play for those who enjoyed the original.  Probably safe to skip if you aren't a FF7 fanboy to being with though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 04:08:20 AM by Gratch » Logged

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:44:10 PM »

Valkyria Chronicles II (It's almost as awesome as the PS3 version, so it's still pretty freaking good). It's also on sale right now for $22 with the DLC combo.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:28:39 AM »

Get the Capcom Classics and Sega Genesis collections! It's like having an arcade/Genesis emulator on your Vita! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 17, 2012, 11:44:10 PM

Valkyria Chronicles II (It's almost as awesome as the PS3 version, so it's still pretty freaking good). It's also on sale right now for $22 with the DLC combo.

whoa, it's available for download for the vita?  that's one of the reasons I was refusing to ditch my psp for a vita.  What's this DLC combo?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:54:51 PM »

I'm not sure if it's available for DL on the Vita or not. I know you can go to the PSN store and buy the digital version. It's $40 by itself. But if you buy the game and DLC combo then it's $22. Is there a list somewhere that shows which digital PSP games can be played on the Vita?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on February 22, 2012, 08:54:51 PM

I'm not sure if it's available for DL on the Vita or not. I know you can go to the PSN store and buy the digital version. It's $40 by itself. But if you buy the game and DLC combo then it's $22. Is there a list somewhere that shows which digital PSP games can be played on the Vita?

So I did some digging and Sony has an official list here of PSP games that work on the Vita, but I've also seen other posts that say that Valkyria Chronicles 2 does in fact work on the Vita. So that $22 combo deal should be good for Vita owners. You may have to buy it via your PS3, but it should work.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »

Here's video taped proof that you can play VC2 on the Vita.

I'm torn at this point.  I have a PSP-1000 that still runs great and a ton of UMD based games.  I'd trade them all in but I doubt I'll get much more than the cost of the tax on a new Vita and maybe a memory card.  My psp didn't get that much play the last couple of years, but I still like the games I have and sometimes revisit them for an evening.   I think I'm leaning more towards holding out for a second gen Vita in the vain hope that a better battery is introduced.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 05:32:07 PM »

I can't believe that PS1 games aren't running on the Vita.  I just assumed...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »

I was under the impression that the ads for the vita were touting its ability to play "PSONE" games...which I took to mean Playstation 1.   icon_confused

Of course, I could be mistaken...and usually am.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »

Well you can remote play any PSX game?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 06:15:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 23, 2012, 05:32:07 PM

I can't believe that PS1 games aren't running on the Vita.  I just assumed...

They will be "soon", according to Sony. As for how soon that is, well....I hope it is within a month or two.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 23, 2012, 05:08:15 PM

Yup, it works just fine and looks awesome.  icon_cool

Only thing with the bundle is each DLC mission is separate so altogether that's 23 applications to download, at least they can all transfer over at once. BTW, if anyone picks this up, Sega has a Freshman Cadet Guide pdf available for download for the game, got some nice information in it and 3 passwords to unlock extra content.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 04:51:55 AM »

I should have got the 32GB memory card instead of the 16GB. I'm going to be downloading a fuck ton of games  Headbanging!

I just bought Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP) for the Vita. Woot!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 05:29:14 AM »

Crush!  And it's only $5 for Vita on PSN when they are just about to re-release it for 3DS at $35.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 24, 2012, 04:51:55 AM

I should have got the 32GB memory card instead of the 16GB. I'm going to be downloading a fuck ton of games  Headbanging!

I just bought Lunar: Silver Star Harmony (PSP) for the Vita. Woot!

I've got Lunar on my Vita! It looks awesome! smile

One of the main reasons that I got a 32GB card was because of the PSP games.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 07:32:47 PM »

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is supposed to be good, and it's also improved by the transition to Vita because the framerate improves from what I've heard (and can tell). I just bought it and played through the intro sequence, and it's looking like a good game choice.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 12:13:06 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on VCII.  I actually looked it up a couple of days ago and saw that it was $40 and said forget it.  To get the deal just go into the PSP bundles section of the store.  Oh and, to Hell with you Sony for making me individually download (and I assume, install) 23 different pieces of DLC rather than just have it all in one big file! Lord I think I'm actually going to have to buy a PSP.  I heard that the camera for Monster Hunter can actually be mapped to the other analog stick now so that will probably push me over the top.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 25, 2012, 12:13:06 AM

Thanks for the heads up on VCII.  I actually looked it up a couple of days ago and saw that it was $40 and said forget it.  To get the deal just go into the PSP bundles section of the store.  Oh and, to Hell with you Sony for making me individually download (and I assume, install) 23 different pieces of DLC rather than just have it all in one big file! Lord I think I'm actually going to have to buy a PSP.  I heard that the camera for Monster Hunter can actually be mapped to the other analog stick now so that will probably push me over the top.

You download all 23 pieces individually and then transfer them all at once to the Vita. Only the main game needs to be installed... or so it seems. I haven't got far enough back into the game to verify the extra missions are in fact there somewhere, I assume they are. Funny, it will still allow me to do a 'data install', I'm assuming all that does it make it take up even more space on the card.  icon_wink

I did something by accident last night and couldn't replicate it again. I did something in game to bring up a Vita menu that sets some sort of filtering (bilinear?) and remaps the second analog stick, plus a couple of other things... what's the secret?

-craig

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 25, 2012, 02:38:54 PM

I did something by accident last night and couldn't replicate it again. I did something in game to bring up a Vita menu that sets some sort of filtering (bilinear?) and remaps the second analog stick, plus a couple of other things... what's the secret?

Hold down for a few seconds on the touch screen while playing a PSP game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 25, 2012, 04:35:27 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on February 25, 2012, 02:38:54 PM

Hold down for a few seconds on the touch screen while playing a PSP game.

Ah... thanks. All my googling had found so far were references to the fact that you could do it but not how to do it.

-craig

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 10:33:47 PM »

I tried Final Fantasy Tactics: WotL, but felt lost and not really in control of the outcome of the battle.  In my very first battle, some of my guys were moving without my moving them at all.  I found it hard to tell who was on my team.  The terrain and buildings were in my way, even turning the screen.  I need more hand-holding to get me started, I think.  I need to give it more time, but rather than fun and addictive, I found it frustrating.  Which is strange because I played FFTA2 on the DS, so this shouldn't be unfamiliar.  I put it aside for later.

I tried Patapon 2 (the only version available for DL) and was hooked.  Despited mixed reviews here (I looked up the old thread), I love the game.  The game holds your hand enough to get you started, and then it's up to you to decide on how to level up your guys and where you want to take them.  2 1/2 hrs later, and I'm Pata-pata-pata-poning in my head.  Addictive little chant.  My son was intrigued from watching me and wanted to try it.  He got sucked in for another 2 hrs.  This is the game I want to play when I think about playing on the PSVita.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 12:47:30 AM »

DonD that first mission is just a little something to introduce you to the scenarios. You only control the Ramza character. All your enemies are at the opposite end of the map. Just let your allies take out everyone and then it will go into another cutscene and some more story and eventually you'll be able to start playing farther back in the past as a young whipper snapper and you have a whole team of allies that you can control. Don't give up! Best SRPG ever!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 02:01:24 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 26, 2012, 12:47:30 AM

DonD that first mission is just a little something to introduce you to the scenarios. You only control the Ramza character. All your enemies are at the opposite end of the map. Just let your allies take out everyone and then it will go into another cutscene and some more story and eventually you'll be able to start playing farther back in the past as a young whipper snapper and you have a whole team of allies that you can control. Don't give up! Best SRPG ever!

+1.  The learning curve for FFT is pretty steep, but totally worth it.  There's a few of us who have dumped a rather ridiculous amount of time into it, so fire away with any questions.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 02:44:28 AM »

Will there be voice chat in Vita games? I love that the Vita and PS3 share the same friends lkst and I'm hoping theyll do something equally as smart and let you use your PS3 bluetooth on the Vita.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 09:21:14 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 26, 2012, 02:44:28 AM

Will there be voice chat in Vita games? I love that the Vita and PS3 share the same friends lkst and I'm hoping theyll do something equally as smart and let you use your PS3 bluetooth on the Vita.

Yes there is voice chat in Vita games (actually, it's not bound to individual games. You can chat at any time and across games with the Party system), and yes, you can use your many bluetooth headsets to do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: