http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 10:48:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Vita] Mortal Kombat - the touchscreen fatalities begin!  (Read 1687 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:33:47 PM »

MK Vita releases today, and GT has a glowing review up on the site.

Time to make a portable bloody mess! I'll be hitting up a local GameStop this morning and hopefully putting a few hours in.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »

Picked it up at Best Buy this morning. So far, so good. Love the new Touch Screen fatalities. smile

Overall, it looks very good. The characters have been downgraded visually from the PS3 version, but they are not that far off. The stages look great and it has: all the content from the console version, all the DLC released, 16 brand new unlockable skins for the characters, 150 new challenges and my favorite new mode....TEST YOUR SLICE which is basically Fruit Ninja for Mortal Kombat. It's great fun. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »

Does this have the Madden Syndrome where it's basically just so complex at this point that I won't have fun starting out without having played a Mortal Kombat game since the old, old, old ones? Pretty sure the last one I owned was on a Game Gear. Or am I just terrible at fighting games (MVC2 intimidated the hell out of me and I soon moved on from it)?

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on May 01, 2012, 05:22:10 PM

Does this have the Madden Syndrome where it's basically just so complex at this point that I won't have fun starting out without having played a Mortal Kombat game since the old, old, old ones? Pretty sure the last one I owned was on a Game Gear. Or am I just terrible at fighting games (MVC2 intimidated the hell out of me and I soon moved on from it)?

Based on the console versions, this is a perfect re-entry point for someone who isn't huge on fighting games or hasn't played an MK game in years. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »

I'm really impressed if they managed to keep all the content and add more stuff.  The console game already had a ton of content.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 05:45:00 AM »

Online play for this one?
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 02, 2012, 05:45:00 AM

Yep, I've played a couple games online.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on May 02, 2012, 11:41:56 AM

Quote from: Harpua3 on May 02, 2012, 05:45:00 AM

Yep, I've played a couple games online.

Nice! I might have to pick this up.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 03:39:48 AM »

I haven't had a chance to pick up my copy yet, but I'm hopeful for the weekend!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 04:11:10 AM »

The reviews I've read for this one paint it as a great game for the Vita, and the definitive version of the new Mortal Kombat with the only downside being the lowered fidelity on the characters being noticeable in the cutscenes.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 12:09:46 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 04, 2012, 04:11:10 AM

The reviews I've read for this one paint it as a great game for the Vita, and the definitive version of the new Mortal Kombat with the only downside being the lowered fidelity on the characters being noticeable in the cutscenes.

Yeah, that is basically my take on it. It is the best version of MK, other than the characters being a little less detailed. It's really impressive that they have been able to jam all that content onto the Vita and make it way more than just a rush port. It's the best game for the Vita, right now.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:43:15 PM »

I'm not generally a big fan of fighting games, but am a bit intrigued by MK.  However, I'm trying to decide if I'm interested because I actually want to play it, or just because I'm feeling guilty that I haven't touched my Vita in weeks.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 04, 2012, 02:43:15 PM

I'm not generally a big fan of fighting games, but am a bit intrigued by MK.  However, I'm trying to decide if I'm interested because I actually want to play it, or just because I'm feeling guilty that I haven't touched my Vita in weeks.

That's kind of where I am.  I actually have this game for the consoles, and while it's good, it's a little less button-mashy than I like.  But I would like a new game for the Vita...

Basically, if I see this for $20, I'll get it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 04:44:52 AM »

I think I might pick this one up tomorrow.  Partly because of the "I've been ignoring my Vita" thing, but also because I didn't actually play Mortal Kombat all that much on my 360 before selling it for financial reasons so this seems like a great version to get.

And I figure at this point publishers need some support for putting out good games on the platform. 

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »

I've been playing it since I downloaded it on Wednesday and am really enjoying it. Mostly just playing story mode and the challenge towers and really enjoying it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 07:42:15 PM »

Picked this up today (mainly out of Vita guilt) and have been quickly reminded why I don't play many fighters anymore.  Couldn't even get through the damn tutorial...no matter what I try, I can't get the timing right on the "kombos".  It requires you to do 4 of them to get to the next piece of the tutorial, and I've spent nearly 15 minutes just trying to get past the second one.  Maybe I'll just start the actual fights and learn as I go instead.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 02:31:31 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 05, 2012, 07:42:15 PM

Picked this up today (mainly out of Vita guilt) and have been quickly reminded why I don't play many fighters anymore.  Couldn't even get through the damn tutorial...no matter what I try, I can't get the timing right on the "kombos".  It requires you to do 4 of them to get to the next piece of the tutorial, and I've spent nearly 15 minutes just trying to get past the second one.  Maybe I'll just start the actual fights and learn as I go instead.

Try the Challenge Tower. I'm no fighterologist but I've knocked off the first 100 challenges, and definitely feel like those have done a good job of feeding manageable chunks of skills to me at a time with a minimum of frustration.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 04:46:05 AM »

Keep talking folks! Like I don't already have too many games! And, there are three more that I want in the next 3 weeks! I am trying to fight the urge to get this!! finger
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »

I'm really having a blast with this.  I generally suck at fighting games, though I do enjoy them if I can get a handle on the gameplay.  I've been bouncing around between the story mode, the challenge tower and the extra challenge tower.  In story, I'm up to chapter 5.  Each tower I've done about 10-12 levels.

The load times are very quick.  This is something that is extremely important when each battle only lasts a minute or two.  For comparison, I'll complain about MLB The Show, where I feel like I stare at the loading screen more I'm actually playing.

Graphics are reasonable.  There are a lot of complaints about the graphics around the 'net, but I don't see anything to really complain about.

I have a handle on the basic moves, which are similar for most characters.  The advanced moves may vary, but by and large, it's still only a couple of button presses, not a stream of 8 or more like in some other fighting games.

The fatality stuff is stupid, but has been for years and is a staple of the series.  I can live with it.

My only real complaint is that I wish I had more statistics.  There is a screen with very basic stats for each character played.  Time played, blood spilled, a few others.  How about character vs character stats?  Punches, kicks, special moves, blocks?  I've been spoiled by the Dead or Alive stats screen.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 03:40:18 AM »

Knew i shouldn't have bought this game.  After 5 days of practice, I still cant even beat thr first fight in story mode.  I have always, currently do, and will always suck at fighting games (with FF Dissidia being the lone exception for some reason).    finger

Will be in the trading forum tomorrow if anyones interested.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 04:54:48 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 10, 2012, 03:40:18 AM

Knew i shouldn't have bought this game.  After 5 days of practice, I still cant even beat thr first fight in story mode.

saywhat

I don't even understand how that is humanly possible. Are you sure you're playing on the very lowest difficulty setting? That fight could be won with simple button mashing.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 01:44:49 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on May 10, 2012, 04:54:48 AM

Quote from: Gratch on May 10, 2012, 03:40:18 AM

Knew i shouldn't have bought this game.  After 5 days of practice, I still cant even beat thr first fight in story mode.

saywhat

I don't even understand how that is humanly possible. Are you sure you're playing on the very lowest difficulty setting? That fight could be won with simple button mashing.

I had it set to the easiest level when I was doing random fights and the tower.  Maybe it resets when you start story mode...I'll have to check.

Will probably sell/trade it anyways, I didn't find the game terribly compelling.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: