http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 03:41:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Vita] Hot Shots Golf  (Read 1508 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »

I have to say I did not initially pick this game up as a launch title because I didn't think it would appeal to me and it was getting rather bland reviews.   About 5 days after lanch I read a lot of posts about people having a great time with the game.   Specifically one user review talked about the number of unlockables that you can purchase and work towards, which is something that really appeals to me.

I have to say that I am having a blast with this one.    Rayman came in the mail to me after I purchased Hot Shots, and I haven't even installed it yet.    The actual mechanics of the golf game are extremely well done, but what really gets you hooked is the constant stream of unlockables and available to purchase items in the game.   I'll occasionally get frustrated with a hole, but you can usually score high enough to move to the next one and come back to it.   

This has been my suprise title so far -- taking all of my time away from Virtua Tennis and Rayman.     Very pleasantly suprised.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:34:27 PM »

Does it use the touchscreen or buttons/sticks for the golf swing input?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »

There's actually 5 different control schemes you can use, although you have to unlock 3 of them through play. I think they are all button based IIRC.

As I mentioned in another thread, the game is basically MOTS and I am perfectly happy with that. Very well suited for this platform. Plus it's got online MP - we should try to get some games together.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »

This is the first hotshots I've played & im thrilled with it. Mp is fun. Tons of unlockables/ content. Just super fun. Another great launch title with harsh reviews. Don't get the vita launch title hate. Best launch lineup ever IMHO.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:10:19 PM »

As a series, Hot Shots is kind of like Dynasty Warriors or Madden. It has been doing the same thing for years with incremental changes from version to version. It isn't unusual for games like this to get butchered in reviews for being exactly what they set out to be. That sort of review really pisses me off.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »

I really enjoy it, too, but I remember the PSP versions having a better upgrade system where any clothing or items I unlocked could be used by any character.  Led to some bizarre setups, but a lot more fun.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:56:34 AM »

I've kind of hit a wall.   There's a course I just can't get past with a gold star.    Frustrating... maybe I need to take a break and play Rayman for a while.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 12:07:52 PM »

While I'm definitely having fun with HSG Vita and it plays a very solid game of golf, it really is just MOTS.  That's not a bad thing, mind you, but doesn't exactly knock my socks off either.  Feels like the characters and their animations are kinda bland this time around as well. 

Glad I bought it and it's quite fun, but not really something I'll be writing home about. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 09:13:05 PM »

Holy hell...the courses at Silver level are crazy hard.  I haven't really mastered the side, top, and backspin mechanics yet, which are pretty much a requirement to succeed on these tougher courses.  Of course, it would also help if I could learn how to putt.  smile  I'd love to know the percentage of my putts that end up as "3 ft gimmies".

One of the splash screens talks about leveling up your equipment (i.e. clubs and balls), but I haven't seen any indication of that happening as I play.  Is it something I actually have to purchase?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:02:57 PM »

Do they ever teach you how to do these crazy spin shots?  I am just on the second tier of courses and I have no clue if I can even do them, much less how.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »

I know how to do it from the older versions - I imagine it is in the digital manual, though.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 05:59:37 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 06, 2012, 10:30:43 PM

I know how to do it from the older versions - I imagine it is in the digital manual, though.

It's not. That's my biggest problem with the game: It doesn't explain the advanced concepts at all, which means you have to be told about them to even know they are there and how to pull them off. The text that is there is vague at best.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 07, 2012, 05:59:37 AM

Quote from: Teggy on March 06, 2012, 10:30:43 PM

It's not. That's my biggest problem with the game: It doesn't explain the advanced concepts at all, which means you have to be told about them to even know they are there and how to pull them off. The text that is there is vague at best.

Yeah, I ended up on GameFAQs for that stuff. Same problem a lot of sports game franchises have now - they believe so hard that they're intuitive that they don't bother to explain anything anymore.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »

I remember having to read about pushing down on the first click and up on the second to make the ball go farther online for the last game, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 01:21:37 AM »

If anyone knows of any " all in one" placed to get tips on this game I'd love to hear about them.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 02:15:31 PM »

GameFAQs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: