http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 03:40:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Vita] Gravity Rush  (Read 1646 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:40:38 AM »

OK, add this to my list of games that will make me want a Vita.  I love the art style, and the gameplay looks pretty cool too. 

Playing as Kat, you set out to stop the world from disintegrating around you, to piece together your lost memories, and to uncover the truth behind it all. There is a huge open world to explore and this is only amplified by Kat’s ability to control the forces of gravity. Before you know it, you’ll be walking on any surface imaginable, flinging yourself miles into the sky, and initiating special attacks in a gravity-free state to plunge down on your enemies. Just be careful who you’re standing next to, lest unsuspecting civilians be caught up in your gravity power!

here's a video preview of the Japanese demo.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:43:04 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:36:43 PM »

4.5 out of 5 from Joystiq.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »

Awesome, I've had my eye on this.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:22:27 PM »

Does look pretty interesting. On a side note, I installed gow chains of Olympus last night. Awesome game on the psp, WAY better on vita!
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:12:06 AM »

The demo is up on PSN. It is very short but enough to give you a taste of the basic gameplay - controlling gravity and the combat. The graphic style is interesting and while there is speech it is in their own tongue (as is the writing) but there are English subtitles. Most of the time it reminded me of The Sims.  icon_wink

I love the graphic novel format they use for the pause and cut scenes. It's a little hard to explain but you swipe to move from one panel to the next and can tilt the Vita to change the angle you are looking into the panel. Very cool.

On my day one list.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »

I've put 3-4 hours into this so far and find it surprisingly good - this is a very unique experience with excellent music, well written dialogue and story, and interesting gameplay mechanics. I'm reserving judgement on the controls; since much of your time is spent mid-air, it's easy to become disoriented. Either the controls are going to get better as I continue to master them, or they are going to get worse as the combat gets tougher. I'll have to wait and see.

The art style reminds me a lot of Jet Grind Radio, with cel-shaded character models in a stylized 3D world.

I'll be playing this throughout the week and updating with my impressions. 

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:15:05 PM »

Playing as well, and it's really fun and charming. Only problem is during some of the extended challenge sequences I can get a bit motion sick.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 09:06:19 PM »

I'm loving this and keep coming back to it.

The tilt controls during the comic panel cutscenes are a fantastic touch.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 09:20:16 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 16, 2012, 09:06:19 PM

The tilt controls during the comic panel cutscenes are a fantastic touch.

That's funny because this feature actually tends to annoy me. Apparently they didn't consider the effect it would have on people playing while riding a bus or train. The cutscenes are always shaking on me!!  icon_lol

Sean Lama
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 07:57:18 AM »

I'm really digging this. I caved and picked it up today. It was good/ annoying that it is selling well enough that I had to do a bit of searching to get a copy. nod Seems like people are buying it at least.

Awesome art direction
Phenomal soundtrack
Great game play and story= a unique gaming experience really like no other.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 09:55:04 PM »

The controls suck sometimes. Have you guys gotten to the first boss yet? That octopus thing? Eww  retard

Sean Lama
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »

The control are difficult at times, but They seem manageable enough. It does feel like I'm a drunk superhero at times, all bouncing into everything. I'm enjoying it quite a bit still though. Diablo won my playtime last night, but I see myself playing this quite a bit.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 01:01:22 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 18, 2012, 09:55:04 PM

The controls suck sometimes. Have you guys gotten to the first boss yet? That octopus thing? Eww  retard

I wonder... was that the boss that you fought in the demo?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 03:55:31 AM »

The controls are great usually but can be a pain in the butt in spots. I realized what my issue was with the first boss - you're supposed to use your special attack (triangle button) and I wasn't doing that so it was taking forever.

The one thing I can't seem to get good at is gravity sliding. They want you to press on the bottom corners of the screen to accelerate, tilt the Vita to turn, and take your finger off one corner of the screen to drift. That's... not happening. Luckily, there isn't much of a need to gravity slide that often.

I just reached chapter 8, how about you guys?

Sean Lama
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 01:35:53 AM »

Not very far into it. Haven't had much gaming time since I got it, and d3 steals alot of my time... I won't be able to ply anything Friday, Saturday or Sunday. So I'm gonna fire this up before I play d3 tonight..
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 06:31:08 AM »

Anyone still playing this? I put it down for a while after being turned off by the controls. I have about a third of game left and am trying to find the motivation to finish it. I was liking the game initially, but now I'm starting to hate it. I despise the controls, the combat is weak and repetitive, the art style grows old half way through with it's horrid view distance and washed out colors, and I've had some crazy bad framerate drops where the game comes nearly to a halt.

I'm planning to move onto Sound Shapes immediately after...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:33:08 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 02:53:03 PM »

I need to go back to it. I really liked it, but it was making me dizzy frown

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »

I finally got around to trying out Gravity Rush last night and found it far more fun than I was expecting.  The gravity-twisting mechanic certainly takes some getting used to, but it's a hell of a lot of fun once you do.  I really dig the graphic style, and the story and characters are interesting.

Sounds like it might not have legs though, as I can see the combat getting tedious and/or frustrating pretty quickly.  Anyone know how long it is?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 05:41:33 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 14, 2013, 07:08:49 PM

I finally got around to trying out Gravity Rush last night and found it far more fun than I was expecting.  The gravity-twisting mechanic certainly takes some getting used to, but it's a hell of a lot of fun once you do.  I really dig the graphic style, and the story and characters are interesting.

Sounds like it might not have legs though, as I can see the combat getting tedious and/or frustrating pretty quickly.  Anyone know how long it is?

10 to 20 hrs. Maybe, or so. Your mileage might vary.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 01:25:29 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 22, 2012, 06:31:08 AM

Anyone still playing this? I put it down for a while after being turned off by the controls. I have about a third of game left and am trying to find the motivation to finish it. I was liking the game initially, but now I'm starting to hate it. I despise the controls, the combat is weak and repetitive, the art style grows old half way through with it's horrid view distance and washed out colors, and I've had some crazy bad framerate drops where the game comes nearly to a halt.

It's so weird: closing in on the final chapters of Gravity Rush, I've never seen so much as a hitch in the framerate.  In Assassin's Creed: Liberation, though, I found an unplayable, bug-ridden mess marked by unending framerate problems, but other people report a much more enjoyable game.

I wonder if there could possibly be differences between the downloadable and physical copies of the games.  I've only played store-bought games, for what it's worth.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: