http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 04:22:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask [3DS]  (Read 1064 times)
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:51:29 PM »

Layton 5 hits the US on October 28. I thought #4 was a huge disappointment, but holding out hope that the first 3DS entry in the series will rejuvenate the series a little bit.

In related news, the Layton/Ace Attorney crossover announced two years ago is finally hitting Japan at the end of November. Maybe we'll get lucky and they can get it to the US quicker than Layton 5 (18 months).

Ruining language with my terrible words.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »

I am definitely looking forward to this.  I've loved all the ones I've played, including 4 (not sure why you were disappointed there), and can't get enough Layton.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »

GOTY 2012. Freaking love me some Layton.

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:18:28 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 12, 2012, 05:28:23 PM

I am definitely looking forward to this.  I've loved all the ones I've played, including 4 (not sure why you were disappointed there), and can't get enough Layton.

The story in 4 did nothing for me, and the puzzles just felt uninspired to me. Maybe I just wanted something a little different and it felt like a retread. But yeah, the pacing of the story just didn't work for me and they pulled some things out of thin air you couldn't have possibly anticipated, etc. by the time I got near the end, I just wanted it to be over. I didn't bother trying to go find all the puzzles or anything.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »

I felt the same way about 4. The emotional crux of the story hinged on two characters you didn't know existed almost until the end.

Number three, though?  crybaby
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 03:54:36 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on October 13, 2012, 03:31:12 PM

Number three, though?  crybaby

Yeah, three was pretty sad. frown

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 11:31:08 AM »

Finished this game yesterday. The only other Layton game I've played was the first, and it had a charming, quirky story that kept my attention until the end. This one? Well, let me sum it up like this: The story in Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask sucks donkey balls!

The big plot twist is so blindingly obvious that it's impossible to not see who the villain is from the earliest parts of the plot, yet every single character in the game is not only oblivious to this, but in fact don't even get close to suggesting the possibility. It's very frustrating to see the characters standing around, speculating about the identity of the bad guy when you know exactly what's going on.

Then you get to the end, which actually manages to top The Dig in its ridiculous sugar-sweet happiness ("consequence" is clearly not a word in Layton's universe). At one point during the final few scenes I literally groaned out loud from how absolutely retarded the whole thing got. Then suddenly two characters I've never heard about before come in and turn out to be central to the whole thing. Say what?

I know this game is written so that it can be enjoyed by children, but there has to be a limit to how insipid, melodramatic, predictable and ultra-happy a plot can be before it crosses a line. The first game in the series did it right. This one trips over its own shoelaces before even hitting its stride.

The game is great (except for a few puzzles that are inadequately explained, not giving you all the information you need to solve them), but the story is a stinking pile of crap.

The stupidest moment, which is a major, MAJOR spoiler:
Spoiler for Hiden:
(paraphrased) "But Randall, I never actually married. It was a ruse to keep up appearances while I saved myself for you. For 18 years. After your best friend saw you fall into a bottomless chasm."

Oops, I think I threw up in my mouth a little.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »

So, you're saying you loved it...

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 12:50:01 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on January 08, 2013, 12:40:29 PM

So, you're saying you loved it...

Yeah, except for the story. I mean, the focus of the game is on the puzzles, but it'd be nice if the story was good too.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 06:50:50 PM »

I was just being sarcasmical, anyways.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 04:10:40 AM »

Just finished and have to say I enjoyed the story. The reason you didn't know
Spoiler for Hiden:
who Descole was
is because you haven't played the precious games he was in. The ending came as quite a shock to me. I had figured out who the Masked Gentleman was wel before, but knowing who it was didn't mess up the ending at all because there was still plenty of mystery left to unravel.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: