http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 10:45:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Vita] Dungeon Hunter Alliance  (Read 1449 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:29:59 PM »

From what I can tell so far, this is pretty much the same/similar game released on iOS and on the PS3 last year.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was exactly the same thing...  that said, the Vita seems like the platform it was meant to be on.  The graphics seem to fit this size screen better than it did either the larger or smaller formats, and the controls (mixing controller with touch) just overall give a much better feel.  Don't know how well the multiplayer works, and probably don't think this is worth full price, but it seems like the game has finally found the best home possible.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »

Few more minor comments:

- Load times are longer than I'd hoped.  Not unbearable like the old media, but coming off of what I assume is flash memory it seems to take longer than what I would have liked.  The good news is that the level I'm on seems a lot bigger than what I remember playing before, plus if I leave the game in memory I can just jump immediately back in, which is nice

- Action is a little choppy, again I'm a bit surprised.  It was similar on the iPad IIRC but I thought the Vita was supposed to be much more powerful.  Maybe just not well optimized, I dunno.  Environment graphics look nice and are reminiscent of D3.

- I don't remember mobs crawling down from hanging chains, but it's a nice little effect, again kind of echoing D3

- A lot of decent loot drops even very early, so that's definitely a plus for me

- All in all feels like the closest thing to Diablo on a portable platform for the time being.  My memory is a bit off, I'm trying to remember how Dungeon Siege and Untold Legends were in comparison.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »

I picked this up as my free game from the Amazon sale. Didn't seem like the best choice as far as reviews go, but from the choices, it seemed to be one I'd most likely get into (never really get into racers like Mod-Nation and Wipeout and while Rayman is supposed to be great, I always get hopelessly stuck as difficult ramps up on side-scrollers).

I'll have to post some impressions when I get to play.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:21:26 PM »

Oddly enough it's the only game I've been playing on the Vita, and I'm really liking it.  What's oddest is that I've tried it on iOS and PS3 but neither time did it grab me.  As I mentioned above the Vita feels like the best fit for it, especially since you can pick up and play any time.  Even if you've only got a few minutes you can kill some crap and get some decent loot drops.  I wish the load times were a bit faster (though the standby mode greatly alleviates this), and that the map was better (no large map that I could find), as well as a waypoint/teleport system seems to be amiss.  I've had to retread the same spots a number of times and monsters respawn regularly.  The good news is that as I get better gear I can just rip right through some of the lesser stuff that was causing me problems in the past.  Anyway it's the best portable Diablo experience I've had in a long while.  Hopefully Ruin (Warrior's Lair or whatever) will deliver much more.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »

Oh, did they change the name for Ruin? That was one that caught my eye at the E3 presentation.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 12:38:11 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 21, 2012, 07:40:57 PM

Oh, did they change the name for Ruin? That was one that caught my eye at the E3 presentation.

Yeah, not sure why but it's called Warrior's Lair now - this is the one that features cross saves between PS3 and PS Vita.

http://vita.ign.com/objects/110/110716.html
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:40:42 PM »

Yeah, I am quite excited for Warriors Lair and I am hoping that this game will fill the need for a hack n slash RPG until then. I have had a bunch of fun with it so far and I think I have played this game more than any other launch game. smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:52:05 AM »

I may have to check it out!

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print