http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:10:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [ios-] Sid Meier's Ace Patrol  (Read 1145 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:59:44 PM »

I just picked this up because it is free - well the first three missions, then you can buy map packs.  Anyway it is cool!  Very cool.  I have only put in a few minutes but it just feels fun.  I can't wait to see how big battles play out.

Go pick it up...it is free...really go pick it up.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:00:32 AM »

A description for those of us not in the know?

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:23:33 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 10, 2013, 12:00:32 AM

Turn based WWI aerial combat akin to Wings of War.

The free part seems very cool, so I bit on buying the campaigns. Buying the aces, not sure if I care enough.

Their moneymaking scheme seems very decent and not offensive. The first 8 missions are free (demo), the rest of the first campaign is a buck ($1 to buy the app), then there's three more campaigns (DLC), ace pilots (bonus DLC), and then some absurd and optional ways to pay a buck to speed up gameplay (we won't say no to your money, in-app-purchase addicts!)
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:27:31 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 10, 2013, 12:23:33 AM

Quote from: Arnir on May 10, 2013, 12:00:32 AM

Turn based WWI aerial combat akin to Wings of War.

The free part seems very cool, so I bit on buying the campaigns. Buying the aces, not sure if I care enough.

Their moneymaking scheme seems very decent and not offensive. The first 8 missions are free (demo), the rest of the first campaign is a buck ($1 to buy the app), then there's three more campaigns (DLC), ace pilots (bonus DLC), and then some absurd and optional ways to pay a buck to speed up gameplay (we won't say no to your money, in-app-purchase addicts!)

Thanks.
Look's worth a look.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 01:16:54 AM »

Love it so far, reminds me of the old Flight Commander series. Immediately bought the campaigns and aces after I finished the first 8 missions.

Very polished game, good graphics, decent sound, RPG elements to it, and a civopedia type thing to help explain it all. Highly recommend it. There is a gameplay trailer on Touch Arcade if you want to see how it works.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 12:03:40 PM »

I was waiting for this all week, and it's even better than I imagined.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 03:23:01 PM »

I don't quite understand what the difference is between the different planes.  Differing weapons and firing arcs, ok, that makes sense.  But how does different maneuverability or a different top speed play out when all of your movement is based on hexes and movement cards?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »

Buyer beware. I finished up the British campaign and started into the Ameican campaign and... it's the same thing. The planes are different, but the missions seem identical and follow the exact same progression. You even start out with the same mundane tutorial missions.

The game itself is still fun, but unless the French and German campaigns are somehow different, I don't recommend anyone pay for more than the $1 British campaign.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 06:42:15 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 11, 2013, 05:11:24 PM

Buyer beware. I finished up the British campaign and started into the Ameican campaign and... it's the same thing. The planes are different, but the missions seem identical and follow the exact same progression. You even start out with the same mundane tutorial missions.

The game itself is still fun, but unless the French and German campaigns are somehow different, I don't recommend anyone pay for more than the $1 British campaign.

The campaigns are all the same (you can skip the tutorial missions by choosing the accelerated option). Since there is a choice of missions, though, there should be plenty of replayability. Some have remarked that the planes feel significantly different/require different tactics, but I haven't tried yet.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »

Thanks for the tip about the accelerated option.  I took that to mean it would make for a shorter campaign.  disgust

I'd love to hear how the planes differ.  I've tried experimenting with having different crew flying different plane types, but I can't tell the difference yet.  So far it seems like you just always want to take the newest plane available.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 02:33:22 PM »

In WWI for the most part the newer planes were the best since it was the cutting edge of aviation.  For game reasons I can see them giving a reason to use older planes, but probably not for realism.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 03:17:29 PM »

I do confess most of my WWI aviation schooling came via playing Red Baron.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »

Funny how the top 9 "Ace of Aces" for the British all have the same score: 9,223,372,036,854,775,807... and yes, I'm aware of the significance of the number. I guess it's a known iOS / Gamecenter hack / exploit.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 04:33:59 PM »

I can't log in to my my2k account.  it just keeps saying I'm not verified but I am.  so frustrating
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 04:58:47 PM »

New planes should be limited though. Maybe only one or two available. I would love for a "real" game to be made out if this. Take what they started with but expand upon it by having to juggle resources much more.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 12, 2013, 06:42:15 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 11, 2013, 05:11:24 PM

The campaigns are all the same (you can skip the tutorial missions by choosing the accelerated option). Since there is a choice of missions, though, there should be plenty of replayability. Some have remarked that the planes feel significantly different/require different tactics, but I haven't tried yet.

Wait, just to clarify, the missions for the different countries are identical? Only the types of planes change? Or do you mean the tutorials for all countries are identical? I'm curious because 2K was touting how there are over 100 missions.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 12:27:49 AM »

After the first couple of missions, which are the same, you get to pick your missions. Those choices are random, but it doesn't matter what country you are playing, it's the same pool of missions. It is a very limited game.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 01:48:25 AM »

Are there missions to attack Zeppelins if you're playing the German side?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 02:15:09 AM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on May 13, 2013, 01:48:25 AM

Are there missions to attack Zeppelins if you're playing the German side?

I'm playing as the Germans now and that mission seems to be replaced with one to bomb enemy gas supplies.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 10:58:02 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 12, 2013, 04:03:36 PM

Funny how the top 9 "Ace of Aces" for the British all have the same score: 9,223,372,036,854,775,807... and yes, I'm aware of the significance of the number. I guess it's a known iOS / Gamecenter hack / exploit.
Just what exactly is the significance of that number? It seems like a pretty random number to me.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 13, 2013, 10:58:02 AM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 12, 2013, 04:03:36 PM

Just what exactly is the significance of that number? It seems like a pretty random number to me.

I didn't know either.

I found out it's this:

The number 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 is the maximum value for a 64-bit signed integer in computing.  It is therefore the maximum value for a variable declared as a long integer (long, long long int, or bigint) in many programming languages running on modern computers, equivalent to the hexadecimal value 7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF16. The appearance of the value may reflect an error, overflow condition, or missing value.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »

255 was a much easier maximum value to remember.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 06:46:34 PM »

Sequel is out, Pacific Skies
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: