http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 02:29:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [iOS] Warhammer Quest  (Read 3049 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »

There are a few enemy types that could make a hardcore run really tense.  I don't remember seeing them until the level 4-6 quests in Stirland and Reikland.  There's a goblin shaman type that has a high damaging nuke that can insta kill characters with less than 25 wounds in one cast (it's the repeating globs of green).  In the skaven dungeons there are grey seer bosses that can nuke hard too.  Most other enemies don't dish out a lot of spike damage. 

If I were doing a hardcore run, I'd equip 1 or 2 +8 wounds rings on my characters to get them over 25 wounds. 
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 11:37:48 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 04, 2013, 02:17:20 PM

There are a few enemy types that could make a hardcore run really tense.  I don't remember seeing them until the level 4-6 quests in Stirland and Reikland.  There's a goblin shaman type that has a high damaging nuke that can insta kill characters with less than 25 wounds in one cast (it's the repeating globs of green).  In the skaven dungeons there are grey seer bosses that can nuke hard too.  Most other enemies don't dish out a lot of spike damage. 

There are some enemy bosses that have up to four melee attacks (IIRC this is both the Goblin Big Boss and the Orkz Big Boss).  These can be pretty nerve wracking as well, particularly if they take your team on when you're already chewed up, or in combination with small swarms of the regular Goblin Boss who can hit twice, or worse two Big Bosses at once.

I suppose the benefit of these over the Shamans though is if you're holding a line, the melee enemies shouldn't be able to get to your squishier Wizard or Archer.  Still, I've had my melee characters drop 80% of their health just in one round from being pounded by enough bosses and big bosses.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 12:51:34 AM »

Just got a mission for a chalice that is listed as an accessory (not a consumible) but the description starts out as "use once +3 strength...etc). What's the deal?
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 01:05:17 AM »

Quote from: Lee on June 05, 2013, 12:51:34 AM

Just got a mission for a chalice that is listed as an accessory (not a consumible) but the description starts out as "use once +3 strength...etc). What's the deal?

From what I can tell this means that you can use it once per dungeon.  I've got a Chalice that gives Power Store 5-6 and that's the way it works.  Same for a Ring that I've got that does 5-30 Damage -- one use per dungeon but then it's all recharged for the next dungeon.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2013, 01:34:40 AM »

Thanks, I got some other stuff like that, but it doesn't say use once, so it confused me. Looks like to be a pretty good item too.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »

Does anyone have a listing anywhere of what the stats do?  It's difficult to figure out how to actually build a character when I don't really know.

Is "weapon skill" or "strength" more important for a melee fighter?  What does "toughness" actually do?  Does it determine available number of wounds (NP)? Increase ability to block?  Does a high "pinning" skill mean I'm more likely or less likely to get pinned?  All this would be helpful information to have.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 01:30:47 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 05, 2013, 01:18:48 PM

Does anyone have a listing anywhere of what the stats do?  It's difficult to figure out how to actually build a character when I don't really know.

Is "weapon skill" or "strength" more important for a melee fighter?  What does "toughness" actually do?  Does it determine available number of wounds (NP)? Increase ability to block?  Does a high "pinning" skill mean I'm more likely or less likely to get pinned?  All this would be helpful information to have.

This post on Qt3 does a pretty good job laying out the rules.  Here are the actual boardgame rules, although while the iOS game mostly follows the boardgame, apparently there are a few places where it diverges (for example, in the iOS game higher ballistic skill numbers are better).

Weapon Skill increases both the ability to hit others and ability to avoid being hit.  When you are attacking a target, the attacker and defender's Weapon Skills are compared and together they determine whether or not a hit occurs based on a table lookup.

Strength increases damage if you hit.  Toughness decreases damage when hit.  Basically if a hit occurs, the attacker's strength number is added directly to the damage and the toughness is directly subtracted from it.

Monsters pin opponents at the end of the first turn in which they spawn.  Pinning rating determines how easy it is to get out of a pin so that you can keep moving.  Also the Elvish Waywatcher can never be pinned.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »

This game has its hooks in me deep.  I find myself having lots of interesting and critical decisions to make in combat, and I'm a sucker for RPG mechanics with occasional mini random encounters (the text-based encounters in the game).

Honestly, the stupid tilt-to-inventory thing is my biggest complaint with the game.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »

I'm most definitely hooked on this game.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2013, 12:40:35 AM »

Quote from: tiktokman on June 05, 2013, 03:53:17 PM

I'm most definitely hooked on this game.
I already have 25+ hours played according to my save.  I saved the Stirland finale quest, and have been working on all of the Reikland quests.  There's another region on the bottom of the map that isn't connected to either Stirland or Reikland...yet.  I can't make out the name of the region, it's mostly blacked out. 

This game has pulled me in like the XCOM: Enemy Unkown did on the pc.  I'm a sucker for turn based games with rpg elements. 
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »

My interest is waning a bit since I am just grinding trying to get my last 2 characters to level 6. Rarely, if ever, finding new good equipment now either. If my characters are maxed, there isn't as much of a hook, but I do enjoy the game mechanics.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 06, 2013, 01:29:30 PM

My interest is waning a bit since I am just grinding trying to get my last 2 characters to level 6. Rarely, if ever, finding new good equipment now either. If my characters are maxed, there isn't as much of a hook, but I do enjoy the game mechanics.

Sounds like an incentive to go with iron man mode next playthrough. smile
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2013, 12:09:26 AM »

I'm enjoying this very much.

My biggest complaint is that, on the iPhone, the text is miniscule. With the boxes and banners they're using, especially since some of the flavor text is scrollable, they could easily double the size of the text without any impact on the screen at all.

Yeah, I know, "Hey, you kids. Get off my lawn." smile

Even so, I'm very pleased with the game.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2014, 05:28:07 AM »

The price on this just dropped to free if anyone is interested.  I don't know how long it will last.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2014, 11:36:18 AM »

Great! Downloading now, although I have a decent backlog already of games I need to try.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »

I grabbed it too. 

I don't even use Backloggery for my ios games becuase there are so many but when it is free why do I care?

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »

As of yesterday (4/28) all the DLC was on sale from 99 cents.  I picked up a couple other guys but no loot because I think finding stuff is part of the fun.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »

I wish they had released a new campaign rather than new enemy types and dungeon tilesets.  Maybe that was the original plan, an undead campaign?  I don't think I could go back and play the original, skaven or tribal orc campaigns again with new characters.  I'm burned out on that content. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: