http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 12:26:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [iOS] Warhammer Quest  (Read 2873 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2013, 04:29:08 AM »

Was pretty excited for this one, so I bought it immediately. Not that impressed so far, very slow game play, having to manually move through empty rooms while making sure you only open new doors at the start of a turn. Animations play out a bit slow, they look good, but get boring quickly. The rotate iPad to see your inventory is just plain stupid, it adds nothing. The interface is just very cumbersome. It's not a bad game and seems to have potential, but most certainly isn't anything special.

As a side note I think TouchArcade might be selling their reviews. They alway seem to over hype, but I always thought it was just a difference of opinion. After watching their TA plays Warhammer Quest and praising the game so highly (like quick animations) I am not so sure they are on the up and up anymore, or maybe they are just horrible game reviewers?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 04:50:02 AM »

Thanks for the quick impressions. I was thinking about instabuying this based on all the positive buzz, bu maybe I'll wait and see a bit.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 06:17:23 AM »

is this ipad only?  not seeing it in app store on iphone
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 06:35:59 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 30, 2013, 06:17:23 AM

It definitely should be both.  I bought it on the iPad, but I checked my "Purchased" list and my iPhone says I can download it, although I haven't tried it.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »

It's on my phone, so yep, it is universal.

My impressions are after only after 20 minutes of game play, so maybe I just need to get used to the interface. A comment on TA said he played for 4 hours and it's really great. I'll post more tonight.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:56:23 AM »

Quote from: Lee on May 30, 2013, 04:29:08 AM

As a side note I think TouchArcade might be selling their reviews. They alway seem to over hype, but I always thought it was just a difference of opinion. After watching their TA plays Warhammer Quest and praising the game so highly (like quick animations) I am not so sure they are on the up and up anymore, or maybe they are just horrible game reviewers?

I dunno about selling reviews, but I've always found that they get waaaaay too excited about certain games, and this may be one of those.  They also tend to be really lenient on bad games in their reviews.  Whatever their review score is, I typically subtract a full star and find that's about whtere I think the game ends up.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 01:10:06 PM »

It's showing up for me there now. I'm finding that apps take a while to be discoverable via search queries on new app night, but you can get to them if you have a direct link.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 30, 2013, 01:10:06 PM

It's showing up for me there now. I'm finding that apps take a while to be discoverable via search queries on new app night, but you can get to them if you have a direct link.

Yeah, Wonderpug is right.

Gratch, I'm with you on TA reviews. Part of it is that they choose to focus on games that are worthwhile most of the time. That's actually a good thing, because 90+% of the App Store is crap, but their excitement for things often feels a bit inflated.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »

I picked it up this morning and have put in about 20 minutes.  Liking it more than I expected to...we'll see how that holds up.

The 'tilt to access inventory' thing annoys the hell out of me, hope they figure out a way to patch that out.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 04:10:01 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 30, 2013, 03:51:26 PM

The 'tilt to access inventory' thing annoys the hell out of me, hope they figure out a way to patch that out.

That's why I didn't buy it last night. Crazy, but true. I doubt it gets changed, though.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »

Bought this immediately last night.  Still have not played it.  Grr.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 05:23:37 PM »

Yeah, I was being a bit over dramatic about TA. But in the play video they were acting like everything was great in game, things that annoyed me almost immediately when I started playing (rotate for inventory, slow animations, etc). I lost faith in TA long ago, they are easily excitable. Good forums though.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 06:41:34 PM »

I have to say I was let down as well.  TA was raving about it so I thought it would be pretty cool, but mostly it's just as Lee mentioned, really slow and kind of dull.  I actually thought the rotate for inventory was a clever touch but it doesn't really help the core gameplay.  One simple way to help things out would be to remove the need to "End Turn" - it just bogs things down further.  I understand it was based on some boardgame, but it doesn't feel much like a boardgame, more like an action-RPG slowed down to a turtle turn based game.  If there were more tactical options, maybe that would make sense but the mapsize on combat is so small that there's really very limited things you can do.  Maybe it gets a lot better later, but it doesn't seem promising.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 01:29:16 AM »

More impressions after about 2 hours of play:

I am starting to enjoy it, not blown away, but it's pretty good. Definitely has a board game feel to it. It is all combat, dungeons are just fighting your way through them as quickly as possible. Every turn there is a chance of new enemies showing up. Its a constant struggle to get to the end without running out of supplies, while keeping your party together without getting them killed. If you lose a character he's gone for the rest of the dungeon and you lose any experience earned.

I am still really early in so my guys miss a lot, my mage can't cast healing 80% of the time (every turn he starts out with a random amount of mana, you lose what you don't use so you can never predict what you will be able to cast). Loot has sucked so far, and you never have enough money mainly because of random encounters in towns that drain money (I haven't had a positive random encounter yet), and leveling costs money. It's challenging, but it seems there are always non story missions to grind if you want to.

The game is pretty, but it doesn't change up much. Dungeons all look the same so far. Music is good but I turned it off and there is very little sound otherwise. The random encounters and quests seem to be well written and interesting so far.

You get 4 character classes, the other 3 are $5 each. There is a new area with new monsters for another $5. Outside of that you can buy gold.

I would recommend it, but it does need a bit more polishing up of the interface. $15 for 3 classes I find really annoying though.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 06:04:38 AM »

Extra chars are $3 for me
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 04:32:34 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on May 31, 2013, 06:04:38 AM

Yep, you're right. Had it in my head they 5 each. Still a bit much for what seem to offer.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 31, 2013, 04:32:34 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on May 31, 2013, 06:04:38 AM

Yep, you're right. Had it in my head they 5 each. Still a bit much for what seem to offer.

They seemed to have changed them at the last minute, so a lot of the review copies (and screenshots from those copies) have them listed at $5.  For example the BoardGamingGeek video review show them at $5 each midway through the review and then at the very end there's a different screenshot showing them for $3.

Personally I didn't mind paying $3 for them, but a lot of that depends of course on how much disposable income you've got and what you like spending it on.  The Warrior Priest and the Elven Archmage both seem to play rather differently than the existing characters.  Not quite sure about the Dwarf Slayer though.  He's got a Berserker ability that I've never managed to trigger.

Overall I'm enjoying the game.  I do feel like equipment decisions (what to put in your equipment slots, what to buy in the villages, and when to expend them) have at least as much of an impact on success and failure as tactical placement decisions.  

So far I had one total party wipe (playing hardcore) with 2 level 2 characters, 1 almost level 2 character, and the Grey Wizard creaking along with only half of the 1st level of xp.  I've currently got an Elven Watcher up to level 3, and Warrior Priest, Slayer, and Archmage at level 2.  We'll see how far I can get this team.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:29:30 PM by ydejin » Logged
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »

The Marauder is a killing machine starting at level 3+.  The number of attacks he can get in a single turn is crazy.  I've seen him with 6 or 7 attacks with berserk + battle rage + the warrior priest's Vanquish blessing.

Edited to add: I first thought the Grey Wizard was a bit weak, but once I figured out how to use his spells, he's good.  He can help clear rooms or damage a lot of monsters with shadow bolt.

I would like to see some running statistics per character, tracking things like total kills, toughest kill (by wounds), % of total kills, things like that.     
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:42:14 PM by Roguetad » Logged
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 11:09:14 PM »

From Rodeo Games Twitter account:

Warhammer Quest tip of the day; Want to rename your Warriors? Simply visit a settlement and tap on your character's name on the main screen.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 02:02:36 PM »

I spent more time with this last night and it finally started to click.  The tactics are more involved that I originally thought, and figuring out how to compliment the character's abilities is pretty fun.  The only thing I dislike is how random much of it feels, especially the magic point system.  Tough to strategically use a spellcaster whenyou never know what you'll be able to cast in a given turn.

I also really dislike how how IAP-laden it is, especially with an initial $5 price tag, but thats just a personal gripe.

A couple questions:

-  Are there ever any positive random events?  The only ones I've seen either in dungeons or towns either take away my gold or reduce my stats.  Never seen anything positive happen...just wondering if they are a possibility.  Side note:  completely random events that take away gold you purchased through IAP is a bullshit design decision.

-  On the unique (I.e. Red flag) missions, do you only get one chance to do those when you first get them, or can you come back to them later?   I skipped the "get the lute" quest in the first town, and now it's not showing up anymore.  Wasn't sure if that was supposed to happen or if it was a bug.

Not totally sold on it yet, but I'm definitely more pleased now that I originally was.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 05:22:49 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 02, 2013, 02:02:36 PM

-  Are there ever any positive random events?  The only ones I've seen either in dungeons or towns either take away my gold or reduce my stats.  Never seen anything positive happen...just wondering if they are a possibility.  Side note:  completely random events that take away gold you purchased through IAP is a bullshit design decision.

-  On the unique (I.e. Red flag) missions, do you only get one chance to do those when you first get them, or can you come back to them later?   I skipped the "get the lute" quest in the first town, and now it's not showing up anymore.  Wasn't sure if that was supposed to happen or if it was a bug.
Yes to the first question, although as you've noticed, it doesn't happen often.  The one positive random I've seen a few times is the halfling sharing his meal with the party, which heals the group.  There's also a random event involving crossing a river that can result in a 1 dungeon perk.

I've been able to go back and do the settlement and region quests whenever I wanted, even after failing them.  I even had one where an earlier decision had prevented me from completing a settlement quest, only to find out that the consequence for my group's selfishness started a different quest chain.

I really enjoyed Hunters, and this combines Hunters with Warhammer, and improves on the game design.  The 2 mages don't really start to come into their own until level 3+, where they have a few options each turn.  The melee classes I've found to be all good, except the Warrior Priest.  He's a fragile noodle compared to the Marauder, Ironbreaker, and Slayer.  Even the Archmage has a better melee weapon skill by default than the WP.  It's sad.  They need to boost that guy up some.

Gameplay tip:  When triggering a room, pull the one melee character that entered the room back one square.  You can funnel most encounters into a 2x2 fight, forcing enemies to stack up right in front of your melee (who are blocking for your back 2).  Both the Grey Wizard and Archmage will level up much faster using their aoe attacks with this setup.  Put rings of regeneration on your 2 melee to keep them healing in between turns.  Have your back 2 carry a couple of healing supplies when needed.

I hope they release additional characters for a more chaos and greenskin flavored campaign. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 01:29:21 PM »

If I buy the game, and I buy the extra characters I want, am I good to go?  Or do I need to repeatedly buy gold as I progress in order to enjoy the game?  I can't tell from reviews/impressions how essential the gold buying IAPs are.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 03:25:09 PM »

I've never purchased gold and after 12 hours or so i'm still good to go. You may have to grind a little in order ti sell items( as leveling gets damn expensive).
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »

I've only advanced my Wizard to level 2 (man, it's tough for him to kill stuff), but I'm assuming the only way to gain additional spells for him is to level up, correct?  Or is there somewhere you buy additional spells?

I'm starting to seriously dislike the random events.  Seems like I'm entering every dungeon with one or two of my characters down a few toughness points because a rock fell on them, or they fell in a river, or they got hit by a cart...something stupid always seems to happen and it's annoying as hell.

Really liking this game, even though it can be immensely frustrating.  I've failed the second part of the "Minstrel" quest three times now.  There's that final room where you only get 5 turns to complete it, and all three times I've been there it has been missed attack, after missed attack, after missed attack, after missed attack.  

EDIT:  Right after I write that, of course, I breeze through that mission without a hitch.  smile
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 04:19:36 PM by Gratch » Logged

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 03, 2013, 03:52:57 PM

I've only advanced my Wizard to level 2 (man, it's tough for him to kill stuff), but I'm assuming the only way to gain additional spells for him is to level up, correct?  Or is there somewhere you buy additional spells?
I felt the same way initially with the grey wizard and archmage.  Once the grey wizard gets his area attack (shadow bolt I think), leveling goes much faster.  With a ring of fortitude the mages won't be complete pushovers if they take some damage.  The only way to get new spells is to level up.  Mages in this game don't seem to be as fragile as they are in other settings, especially with decent equipment. 

I don't think either mage is necessary.  The random nature of when they can use their spells can make them really helpful, or not so much.  An all melee or melee plus ranged would work well too.       

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 03, 2013, 01:29:21 PM

If I buy the game, and I buy the extra characters I want, am I good to go?  Or do I need to repeatedly buy gold as I progress in order to enjoy the game?  I can't tell from reviews/impressions how essential the gold buying IAPs are.

I'm the same as WorkingMike.  I've played 13 and 1/2 hours and have not bought any gold.  I definitely don't think it's necessary at all and it will probably make the game less fun.

I'd say I usually have enough gold to buy as many supplies as I need (healing potions, bandages, etc.) and on occasion I splurge and buy some of the nicer weapons or equipment, but there's definitely weapons I lust after that I can't purchase.  There have been a few times I'm low on money, but that just leads to a bit of tension which adds to the game.  Long-term it has not been a problem.

Although the further I've gotten into the game, the more the really cool equipment is coming from questing.  I haven't progressed that far in the "main questline" because I keep seeing fancy new pieces of equipment as quest rewards.  For those that haven't noticed this, if a quest has a piece of equipment listed as a reward, you can click on it and it will show stats like this:

I mean how could I pass up on that beauty?

If you are at all interested in the game wonderpug, you definitely should get it.  I think it's a heck of a lot of fun.  The looting and leveling mechanic is definitely well done.  The production values are top notch, and I'm having a great time battling through the dungeons, especially now that my characters have leveled up a bit and have a lot more tactical options available.  My favorite is the Elf Waywatcher who can get anywhere fast (she can't be pinned and I've got special Elvish equipment increasing her movement rate).  She's vicious at close range (with 2 attacks and a solid 4 weapon skill) and with her three ranged attacks and a Fine Elvin Bow, many an enemy has been brought down before they even get near my group.

IMO it's a great deal for $5 and if you end up spending more on it, it will be because you're having so much fun with it you want to try some of the new characters or hunt Skaven, not because you feel like you need to spend money on gold.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:04:22 PM by ydejin » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »

Danke!  I'll probably bite.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 06:11:25 PM »

OK, two more questions:

1.  I don't understand the "pinning" mechanic.  I get that if there is an adjacent enemy, you run the risk of not being able to move, but the description says "can still attack or take other actions".  However, about half the time my Maurader gets pinned, he can't do anything at all.  No attacks, no healing, no movement...nothing.  I can't figure out why, wondering if I'm missing something.

2.  Do certain enemies (i.e. bosses) count more towards the level XP total than others?  I would figure killing a boss would give more XP than killing a rat, but that doesn't really seem to be reflected in the XP totals at the end of the dungeon.

2a.  Do you get any XP for landing a blow that isn't a killing stroke?

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »

After around 10 hours in, I have more gold than I can use. Already have the best store sold weapons you can get (if I don't have better stuff from quests), and my party is all close to level 6 (marauder is 6 already) I do have one town left though, plus the expansion to play through though. A bit disappointed I am reaching max level already, gives me less reason to play. I grinder a lot early on, the game became pretty easy because of it.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 06:17:46 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 03, 2013, 06:11:25 PM

OK, two more questions:

1.  I don't understand the "pinning" mechanic.  I get that if there is an adjacent enemy, you run the risk of not being able to move, but the description says "can still attack or take other actions".  However, about half the time my Maurader gets pinned, he can't do anything at all.  No attacks, no healing, no movement...nothing.  I can't figure out why, wondering if I'm missing something.

The marauder loses all attacks sometimes due to being berserk. It's his one flaw. He easily clears everything otherwise. Sometimes you get bonus attacks, sometimes you lose them all.

2.  Do certain enemies (i.e. bosses) count more towards the level XP total than others?  I would figure killing a boss would give more XP than killing a rat, but that doesn't really seem to be reflected in the XP totals at the end of the dungeon.

2a.  Do you get any XP for landing a blow that isn't a killing stroke?

I am confused on this as well I think you get experience for damage done since most kills does not equal most experience, no matter what was killed. For instance killed a boss, but got less exp than a character who did all the damage.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 06:18:10 PM »

1.  I don't understand the "pinning" mechanic.  I get that if there is an adjacent enemy, you run the risk of not being able to move, but the description says "can still attack or take other actions".  However, about half the time my Maurader gets pinned, he can't do anything at all.  No attacks, no healing, no movement...nothing.  I can't figure out why, wondering if I'm missing something.

If it's the Marauder only, it's probably not pining.  Marauder sometimes goes beserk, usually that means he gets extra attacks, but there's a non-zero chance he will instead lash at anyone who is next to him (IIRC friendly or not) and that ends his turn, and he can't do anything else.

As far as the pinning mechanic goes, Chaplin out on Qt3 tracked down the boardgame rules and came up with this outstanding summary post which details a lot of things including pinning.

2.  Do certain enemies (i.e. bosses) count more towards the level XP total than others?  I would figure killing a boss would give more XP than killing a rat, but that doesn't really seem to be reflected in the XP totals at the end of the dungeon.

2a.  Do you get any XP for landing a blow that isn't a killing stroke?

Been wondering about these myself.  I assume yes to both, but can't say for sure.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »

While I think his score was way too low (because the game is still quite fun despite it), I do agree with what Tom Chick had to say about the lack of explanation for many of the game's mechanics:

It’s amusing how sometimes seemingly random things happen. My elf catches Nurgle’s Rot and gets -1 toughness for the next dungeon. Ha ha. Wait, what does toughness do? My dwarf gambled away a bunch of our money at the tavern. Typical. But these only go so far when I don’t care about the characters — all pre-named, by the way — because I’m effectively shut out of the gameplay mechanics and therefore I don’t have the information I need to make decisions about them. Should the elf get closer before he shoots for a better chance to hit? How likely is the wizard to get enough mana for his healing mist next turn? Why are my hit points called wounds? What does strength do? Because I have this +1 strength ring and I have no idea who to give it to. Ooh, this axe has the feature “chance to slam”. Unfortunately, “chance to slam” is entirely unexplained. What chance? And what does slam mean? Warhammer Quest thinks I don’t care. Fair enough, Warhammer Quest. Because now I don’t care.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 09:17:45 PM »

I think character stats are somewhat random.  If you retire a character, or have one die on hard, the next character of that class may/will have different stats.  It seems like the stats gained at each level may be somewhat random too.  My level 5 waywatcher only has 1 melee attack, but is a great with a bow.  My level 5 archmage has 2 melee attacks.  The order of spells/skills gained at level ups may be different too. 
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 01:21:20 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 03, 2013, 09:17:45 PM

I think character stats are somewhat random.  If you retire a character, or have one die on hard, the next character of that class may/will have different stats.  It seems like the stats gained at each level may be somewhat random too.  My level 5 waywatcher only has 1 melee attack, but is a great with a bow.  My level 5 archmage has 2 melee attacks.  The order of spells/skills gained at level ups may be different too. 

Leveling up definitely leads to different stats and abilities.  For example my first Waywatcher got Herb Lore when she hit level 2.  My second Waywatcher (after a party wipe  crybaby) is level 5 and still doesn't have Herb Lore.

Experimentation done at Qt3 suggests that starting stats are all the same, except possibly for starting wounds.  Here's what I came up with:

Marauder
Move 4, Weapon Skill 3, Ballistic Skill 2, Strength 5, Toughness 3, Melee Attacks 1, Pinning 1, Wounds 16 (actually 15 + 1 for Horned Helm)

Waywatcher
Move 4, Weapon Skill 3, Ballistic Skill 3, Strength 3, Toughness 3, Melee Attacks 1, Pinning 8, Wounds 11 (actually 10 + 1 from Waywatcher Medallion)

Grey Wizard:
Move 4, Weapon Skill 2, Ballistic Skill 1, Strength 2, Toughness 3, Melee Attacks 1, Pinning 3, Wounds 10 (actually 9 + 1 for his starting Grey Wizard Staff)

Dwarf Ironbreaker
Move 4, Weapon Skill 3, Ballistic Skill 2, Strength 4, Toughness 4, Melee Attacks 1, Pinning 2, Wounds 12 (actually 11 + 1 for what Battered Dwarf Helm that I'm moderately certain he started with)

Dwarf Trollslayer:
Move 4, Weapon Skill 4, Ballistic Skill 3, Strength 5 (actually 4 + 1 from starting Rune Axe), Toughness 4, Melee Attacks 1, Pinning 1, Wounds 15

Warrior Priest:
Move 4, Weapon Skill 2, Ballistic Skill 2, Strength 3, Toughness 2, Melee Attacks 1, Pinning 3, Wounds 13

Archmage:
Move 4, Weapon Skill 4, Ballistic Skill 3, Strength 2, Toughness 3, Melee Attacks 1, Pinning 3, Wounds 14 (actually 11 + 3 for his starting Moon Staff)

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 01:52:59 AM »

Are you enjoying hardcore? Someone dies and you get a level one replacement? Does it cost gold?
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 03:03:50 AM »

Quote from: Lee on June 04, 2013, 01:52:59 AM

Are you enjoying hardcore? Someone dies and you get a level one replacement? Does it cost gold?

I had one party wipe a long time ago and haven't had any problems since.  For a while, I felt way over-leveled, but that seems to be correcting itself.  My main problem is I keep on seeing juicy equipment on side quest missions so I do those instead of doing the main storyline quest.  The last couple of dungeons I have felt as if I could have lost someone if my luck had turned bad.  I did post some of my gear on another forum and one of the posters said I need major upgrades before trying to take on the final dungeon.

IIRC there is no replacement cost, but I think that wipe happened about 10 hours of play ago, so I might be misremembering.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:05:25 AM by ydejin » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 03:23:28 AM »

Haven't played the last dungeon yet, but found your comment about equipment interesting. The stuff I see in side quests is almost never better than what I have, and a lot of stuff is store bought.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 05:14:13 AM »

I dove in using hardcore mode, but I can't see anything in the help text about how the other modes work. What happens if a warrior dies in non-hardcore mode?

Also, is the name of your group randomly generated or did the game make all of you The Wanderers as well?  I did a double take when I saw that.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 06:28:35 AM »

Quote from: Lee on June 04, 2013, 03:23:28 AM

Haven't played the last dungeon yet, but found your comment about equipment interesting. The stuff I see in side quests is almost never better than what I have, and a lot of stuff is store bought.

Here's the sort of stuff I'm seeing as the primary quest rewards now.  This is way better than the stuff I'm currently equiping.  I'm currently Marauder lvl 3, Waywatcher lvl 5, Ironbreaker lvl 4, Grey Wizard lvl 3, Trollslayer lvl 5, Warrior Priest lvl 4, Archmage lvl 3:

The Rare/Orange weapons in stores definitely has better damage stats, but the questing stuff tends to have other interesting bonuses -- and I can't afford the Orange store stuff yet anyway.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:31:26 AM by ydejin » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 04, 2013, 05:14:13 AM

I dove in using hardcore mode, but I can't see anything in the help text about how the other modes work. What happens if a warrior dies in non-hardcore mode?

Also, is the name of your group randomly generated or did the game make all of you The Wanderers as well?  I did a double take when I saw that.

Yep, we're the Wanderers as well. Never even noticed that until you mentioned it.

In regular mode if a character dies, he doesn't get any experience for the level and that's it. I may play hardcore, especially if I pick up the extra character classes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: