http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 06:29:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [iOS] Sorcery!  (Read 3039 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »

This game looks like it could be really damn cool.  A mash-up of Choose Your Own Adventure, King of Dragon's Pass, and a standard RPG with a beautiful art style and unique combat mechanics.  It's got a pretty impressive pedigree of artists and developers behind it as well.

From legendary designer Steve Jackson, co-founder of Lionhead Studios (with Peter Molyneux), and Fighting Fantasy and Games Workshop (with Ian Livingstone); and inkle, the studio behind the award-winning, App Store featured Frankenstein, Sorcery! is an interactive adventure like never before.

The app uses inklewriter technology to tell your journey in real-time, shaping the story around your choices. The text itself changes based on how you play and what you do, and in combat, the action is description on the fly based on how you play.

Featuring original illustrations by John Blanche, new character art by Eddie Sharam (DC Comics), an interactive map by Mike Schley (Wizards of the Coast) and music by David Wise (Donkey Kong Country).

If the narrative is solid, I can see this one being quite amazing.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

A couple screenshots:

EDIT:  Some additional very positive feedback here
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:50:08 PM by Gratch » Logged

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 05:41:17 AM »

Yeah, I was just watching a gameplay vid on TA and it looks fantastic. I've played tons of gamebooks, but not this series. This is apparently the first of 4 parts. No ETA on the rest.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »

Thanks to this thread, I took the plunge on this a couple of days ago. I'm glad I did. It's very well done and I'm enjoying it immensely.

Replayability should be good because there are enough choices that I imagine it would play out very differently over a few playthroughs.

Nicely enough, there is a rewind feature if you meet an untimely death. So, you can play it as a rogue-like and see how far you can get or you can keep your progress and take another path.

Big thumbs up so far.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 05:36:11 PM »

Not long after I posted the above, I made it to the end of Part 1: The Shamutanti Hills.

As it turns out, it is a pretty short adventure. I didn't time it, but I'm guessing I made it through in 2-3 hours. Of course, as I mentioned, there were several branching paths along the way, so I'm not sure how much content might be involved over multiple playthroughs and playstyles (combat, magic, friendly, aggressive, etc.) I'm going to start a new game soon to see how different it plays on a second go round.

Near the end, I received a key that will let me unlock the gates to the city of Khare, which is Part 2 (of 4). I wonder if the $4.99 purchase price will get the next three installments or if they will each need to be purchased.

If all four parts are $4.99 total, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. If it will be $20 total, I'm not sure that there will be $20 worth of game unless you really enjoy this style of game (which I do).

~Switchfoot
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 08:29:26 PM »

Actually, the developer has said on the TA forums that each chapter will be a completely separate APP. They say they have a system in place to import characters from one to the next.

I've also seen the statement (can't recall where) that the first is the shortest, but not sure.

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 08:52:02 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 04, 2013, 08:29:26 PM

They say they have a system in place to import characters from one to the next.

Ah. Thanks. That makes sense. When I made it to the gates of Khare, I was given a choice to save to the Cloud. Then, I was given a spell (code) that I can use when part 2 is ready.

If this release (part 1) is indeed the shortest, I will have no hesitation purchasing the next three.

~Switchfoot
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:07:52 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 04, 2013, 08:29:26 PM

Actually, the developer has said on the TA forums that each chapter will be a completely separate APP.

I hope that they are not completely separate. I hope that, for example, if you own Chapter 1 and purchase Chapter 2, that they will combine. I found a few things in Chapter 1 that don't seem to have a solution (items that need more advanced equipment, spells that need rare items, areas that only seem accessible with advanced spells, etc.) that seem to indicate that Chapter 1 content has more available than currently accessible.

~Switchfoot
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »

How do I use all the spells in my spellbook?  The first few have their letter codes listed, but in the pages that follow there are just descriptions with stamina costs and necessary reagents. Do I not yet have access to those latter ones?
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »

Not sure what you mean. All of the spells have their letters at the top of the page and they "light up" if you can cast them. You're not seeing them?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »

I think what wonderpug means is similar to what I was saying in my post above his.

Over half the spells need some sort of reagent. I completed a playthrough and only found one reagent. That means that, unless the branching paths are so numerous that I only experienced a small percentage of Chapter 1, only a small portion of the entire spellbook is accessible in Chapter 1.

It seems strange to include the entire spellbook if it most of it can't be used.

That's why I'm hoping that the Chapters will combine to make one big game experience and not be separate apps (like Misguided posted that the devs had said they would be).

Edit: I did start a second playthrough last night. I'm very early on, but I have taken a completely different path (once passing through the beginning gate) than I did the first time. It will be interesting to see how much, if any, overlap there will be.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:32:37 PM by Qantaga » Logged

~Switchfoot
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »

This looks like a lot of fun, but I really don't want to buy it then wait for the rest for months and months.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 04:54:52 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 05, 2013, 01:45:40 PM

Not sure what you mean. All of the spells have their letters at the top of the page and they "light up" if you can cast them. You're not seeing them?

Huh.  I looked all over but I didn't see the letters at the tops of the pages.  I'll have to check again on my next playthrough (currently trying on with the 'no spellbook' choice at the beginning.)
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 01:07:56 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 05, 2013, 04:54:52 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on May 05, 2013, 01:45:40 PM

Huh.  I looked all over but I didn't see the letters at the tops of the pages.  I'll have to check again on my next playthrough (currently trying on with the 'no spellbook' choice at the beginning.)
I think that's some type of display bug.  I had the same experience when I first started the game playing in landscape on my mini.  Exiting and restarting in portrait, or whatever the vertical position is called fixed it.  I could then turn the sceen landscape and I could see the spell names and letters fine.     
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 01:44:38 AM »

Thanks, I've been playing entirely in landscape so that sounds like a likely culprit.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 03:15:41 AM »

I can't believe what I just found doing some basement cleaning... three Steve Jackson's Sorcery! books and The Sorcery Spell Book all in very good if a bit yellow condition. Sheesh. I was hoping there were only three but turns out there were four:

Sorcery 1: The Shamutanti Hills
Sorcery 2: Khare - Cityport of Traps
Sorcery 3: The Seven Serpents
Sorcery 4: The Crown of Kings        (no clue if lost or not purchased)

The Spell Book will come in handy for the new iPad version.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »

The game is out now on Android for $5.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »

Sorcery! is the Amazon Free App of The Day for 8/1.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: