http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 09:09:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [iOS] Official Apple Podcast App (FINALLY!!)  (Read 1405 times)
Covenant
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »

Apple just released a free podcast app that lets you organize, browse, and subscribe right from your device.  No more hooking up to iTunes to get your latest podcasts or paying for another solution.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 01:48:46 PM »

You never had to before-but the podcast app that they had was absolute shit which is why I ended up buying the downcast app which was far far superior and probably still superior to the actual new podcast app.  Cough up a couple bucks and you'll be amazed by what's out there.  I've since moved on to Android and even better podcast apps.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:32:02 PM »

This new app still requires iTunes to download the Podcasts.  I also use and recommend Downcast.

Android definitely has better podcast apps in my opinion through.

Sent from my Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »

The new app does not require downloading podcasts from iTunes. It can automatically download episodes when connected via cellular or wi-fi, depending on the size of the file in question.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:19:51 PM »

It seemed buggy, slow and pretty awful to me.  Hard to believe it's an official app.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:58:03 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 06, 2012, 09:19:51 PM

It seemed buggy, slow and pretty awful to me.  Hard to believe it's an official app.

Yeah, it's very weird how when you launch it seems to get stuck doing some background stuff which makes it unmaneuverable for a little bit.  I stick with it, though, just because it grabs my podcasts automatically and so they're always there when I need them.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 06, 2012, 09:19:51 PM

Yep, I gave up on it within a couple days and just grabbed Downcast instead.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »

An update came out for it the other day and it appears to be much better.

lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 12:55:24 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 10, 2012, 08:59:00 PM

It does run a little bit better (but it does still laggy every once in a while), but they really need have a way of sorting the podcasts.  Right now it lists all available podcast with no way to sort or filter those that have been downloaded or not.  This is annoying when I only want to play downloaded podcasts.  I've also noticed that when I'm in airplane mode, playback stops when the next podcast on the list is not available locally.

I'm not a heavy podcast listener, but downcast does everything better.  Worth the 2 bucks
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 04:16:06 PM »

Quote from: lex on August 15, 2012, 12:55:24 AM

Quote from: The Grue on August 10, 2012, 08:59:00 PM

It does run a little bit better (but it does still laggy every once in a while), but they really need have a way of sorting the podcasts.  Right now it lists all available podcast with no way to sort or filter those that have been downloaded or not.  This is annoying when I only want to play downloaded podcasts.  I've also noticed that when I'm in airplane mode, playback stops when the next podcast on the list is not available locally.

I'm not a heavy podcast listener, but downcast does everything better.  Worth the 2 bucks

I only listen to 4 podcasts at most per week, so for me, now that they've cleaned up the lag (I'm not running into any lag issues anymore), it works great for my purposes.  I have the 4 I listened to subscribed and it downloads them automatically, so that when I go to listen, they are there and I don't ever go back in history to listen to older ones, so I don't have issues with undownloaded podcasts.  I think if I listened to a lot more, Downcast would be worth it, but this free one works great for me now.

lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 12:54:04 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 15, 2012, 04:16:06 PM

I only listen to 4 podcasts at most per week, so for me, now that they've cleaned up the lag (I'm not running into any lag issues anymore), it works great for my purposes.  I have the 4 I listened to subscribed and it downloads them automatically, so that when I go to listen, they are there and I don't ever go back in history to listen to older ones, so I don't have issues with undownloaded podcasts.  I think if I listened to a lot more, Downcast would be worth it, but this free one works great for me now.

Yeah, for a few podcasts, the official app works well.  Not so good when you start adding more podcasts or you want better ways to manage it.

Hopefully they'll improve on it in the future.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: