http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 07:06:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [iOS] DOSPad, ScummVM, GemRB, Emulation, and Mobile Gaming Nirvana  (Read 3189 times)
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:21:59 PM »

So I got my first iOS device this Christmas in the form of a 4th Gen iPod Touch and after a month or so of screwing around on Apple's App Store and playing countless variations of "runners" and "scrollers" and "connect 3s" I decided to jailbreak this beast and see what it could really do. To this point, I've uncovered the following.

DOSPad - An iOS port of the wonderful DOS emulator DOSBox. At the moment I have these games installed:

Ultima IV - Seems to be working perfectly well.
Dune 2 - Sound is a bit crackly, probably due to performance, but the game seems very playable. It has issues with the options menu, though (complains about not being able to read the config file and basically hangs the game).
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Seems to work perfectly (though it is just a text adventure).
Alone in the Dark - Performance is a little off but could probably be solved with some tweaking.
Star Trek 25th Anniversary - Performance is a little lacking and the ship combat is kinda woeful with the touchscreen controls, but the adventure elements are fine.
Wasteland - Can't get it to start at all, which is weird, because I can get it to work fine with DOSBox on the PC.

It would be nice if there were an interface that allowed you to customize the settings for each game, but otherwise I'm liking it a lot.

ScummVM - An iOS port of the wonderful ScummVM engine that lets you play a plethora of old adventure titles. At the moment I have Lure of the Temptress, Beneath a Steel Sky, King's Quest, and Secret of Monkey Island, and they all seem to be working perfectly.

GemRB - This is an open source engine that runs Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, Planescape: Torment). The only one I have is BG2 but I'm afraid it would be a tad large to fit on my puny 8GB iPod (which currently has about 150 megs free space). I'd love to hear other peoples' experience with this, though. I can imagine how great it would be on a tablet.

iMAME4all - MAME for iOS. I don't have much to say about it because I've never gotten into arcade games.

Snes9x EX - This is an excellent, free SNES emulator for iOS. I've tried it out on a handful of games and its handled all of them pretty much flawlessly.

Ideally I'd like to get a gamepad that attaches to the iPod but the options available (iControlPad) seem pretty expensive. Maybe a Wiimote and some ingenuity (read: Duct Tape) are in order.

So what are your experiences with the alternative gaming apps available on iOS?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 01:40:06 AM by heloder » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: