http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 01:59:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [iOS] OTTTD (Was Cool June Releases)  (Read 742 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »

Lego Marvel Super Heroes, whaaaaa?

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=233208

Godfire looks really sweet!!  I started it last night, really nice graphics for a mobile game.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=232991

Star Traders 4X - I also got this one but so far not too impressed, interface not as intuitive as I'd hoped but we'll see...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=233067
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:26:16 PM by rittchard » Logged
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 06:43:21 PM »

I have had star traders on my Android phone for a couple years I think - at least a year I am sure.  Kind of funny to see it just coming out on Apple.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »

I just picked up Thomas Was Alone since it went on sale. Technically it was released on May 15th but I thought I would mention it since it is cool!  Lots of good reviews and comments about it .  The 30 seconds I have played have been fun so far!

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »

Two more before June ends!

Plundernauts: this one seems to be getting really good reviews and was even featured in the App Store.  The game concept is quite fun, and it has a lot going for it in terms of combat, artwork and style.  You start with a ship and fly from mission to mission battling other ships; your ship can have multiple upgrades (with loot rarity) as well as "crew members" all which give either active or passive boosts.  I was all set to come here and rave about it until I realized the IAP scheme falls into the category of my biggest pet peeve: what I call "wait to play."  In a completely inexplicable design decision, you only get to run 5 or 6 battles before your "energy" runs out and you have to either pay to refill or wait.  Unlike other games which do this, you don't auto-refill when you gain a level, and while you do earn the currency that buys you more play, it isn't nearly balanced enough to make you want to spend it this way.  If you don't mind a game that sucks you in for 5-10 minutes at a time, it might still be worth a look.  Otherwise, pass until they change/fix this.  Remarkably very few reviews on the store seem to acknowledge this horrible design, I don't get it.  I've seen other games get blasted for much less egregious IAP.

Case in point, game 2:

OTTTD: This game pretty much sucked up my entire weekend.  I don't think I've played a single iPad game for this much time ever, maybe Battleheart or BH Legacy but that's about it.  It looks like a standard TD game, and for the most part it is.  But similar to Kingdom Rush, they've put a lot more emphasis on individual heroes.  You get 3 heroes to choose from a total of 7, with each having a fairly complex skill tree and specialty.  A lot of the passives are the same but actives are generally quite different, and you can only have 2 active at a time.  So even within a single class, you can do a lot of tailoring to your own choosing.  Each hero levels up individually and is allotted 3 skill points to spend in the tree per level.  The system is actually similar to BH, but the skill trees are more complex.  Between the varying type of towers and heroes and skills, the game is just filled with potential when it comes to individual customization and experimentation.  Also similar to BH, it's the kind of game where a really skilled player can beat missions with a much lower level force, but less skilled players like me can keep replaying older ones for xp and cash to eventually beat higher level missions through overpowering.  There's a fixed game for the price, but also IAP that is strictly to make getting the best weapons earlier.  Devs are busy working on new content so it looks like a big win for TD and/or RTS fans.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:39:06 PM »

Interesting, and thanks for the impressions.

148apps panned Plundernauts, so I avoided it. Not surprised on the reviews not mentioning the horrible mechanics, people seem to like pay to play games in the App Store, at least the ones who write reviews. (Or they're fake reviews.)

OTTTD sounded interesting but I wrote it off because in the App Store instead of just giving us screenshots, they post pictures of characters with word bubbles in front of a tiny screenshot of the game. While that usually isn't enough to tell me not to bother with a game, it doesn't work in their favor if I am on the fence about a game. Show me your game, not marketing blurbs! Now I am intrigued though and might pull the trigger next time I want a new game. Thanks.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 04:57:15 PM »

I just completed the last (currently available) mission in OTTTD.  There are presently 20 missions, and for entire "completion" you need to get a "3 star" rating on each one for a total of 60 stars.  I think I have just a few more I need to go back and get 3-stars on, then I'll probably start messing with different heroes.  I really like the way this game plays out.  I finally realized I needed to build healing/shielding towers because my team was all offensive.  Towers take damage in this game so you either have to micromanage fixing them or spend money to repair.  I also realized I was missing energy damage (there are 3 types, impact, energy and fire).  Once I closed those gaps I was able to do better.  This is the type of thing that makes this game cool.  The heroes play a huge part in your success or failure, and you need to augment and adjust your towers by examining what the strengths and synergies of your heroes are. 

I loaded up Kingdom Rush Frontiers for a quick comparison and it just seems so sparse in comparison.  You only have a single hero and he is fairly autonomous except for where you send him.  It looks like special skills and stuff are all AI, whereas OTTTD uses a system more like Battleheart where you are in charge of activating special abilities, which are limited on a timer. 

All in all I think this is one of the most enjoyable TD games I've played.  In many respects it's more of a RTS/RPG/TD hybrid, which I think is what sets it apart.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 11:29:25 PM »

OTTTD got a major update last night, with more maps, armor and "endless" mode.  They also added a respec option which is nice now that I've unlocked the full tree for 3 of the characters. 

So far I've been getting my ass kicked left and right, but as mentioned before, it's cool because you still gain gold and xp for your team even if you lose. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 01:58:35 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on June 19, 2014, 06:43:21 PM

I have had star traders on my Android phone for a couple years I think - at least a year I am sure.  Kind of funny to see it just coming out on Apple.

I swear I had it for a couple years too, so not sure what's going on. (on ios that is)
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 02:00:20 AM »

Plundernauts is a lot of fun, there is just a lot of downtime.  I just play it between playing other stuff and have had no problems at all. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 02:47:24 AM »

I'm also having fun with Plundernauts.  I'm halfway through the second system and haven't yet felt like I've hit a paywall, so as long as I can keep having fun for free I'll keep having fun. The periods of downtime don't bother me yet, and I imagine the simplicity of the naval combat lite would probably get to me if I played more than 5 battles at a time.

My current ship is a carrier one with two fighter flights and 3 turrets on just one side. Seems to be doing well for me so far despite the lack of mobility.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 04:40:34 PM »

Picked up OTTTD. Not sure I like it for two reasons, maybe I am missing something? Tower/enemy info is lacking in game. You can look in the encyclopedia outside of missions, but that does me little good in mission, especially with 3 different damage types, I can't remember what's what during a mission. This is especially annoying as more tower types are available. That, and the lack of a pause where I can look around and examine things. They probably want it to be hectic, but I find it less enjoyable because of it.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »

For free how could I not at least try it?

OTTTD, the Silver Award-winning mix of tower defence and RTS, is this month's IGN free game for iOS

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 14, 2014, 04:16:58 PM

Of course it just became free.  I just bought it.  Just holler if there are any other ones you want me to make free.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 14, 2014, 04:20:47 PM

Quote from: farley2k on July 14, 2014, 04:16:58 PM

Of course it just became free.  I just bought it.  Just holler if there are any other ones you want me to make free.

This is me, too.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 05:11:29 PM »

Figures.

I played it some this weekend. I like it for the most part, it's fun, but not crazy about the mechanics. Since you can't see all the various resistance/damage stats as you play it basically just turns into lay down a mixture of turrets to augment with you heroes.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 14, 2014, 05:11:29 PM

Figures.

I played it some this weekend. I like it for the most part, it's fun, but not crazy about the mechanics. Since you can't see all the various resistance/damage stats as you play it basically just turns into lay down a mixture of turrets to augment with you heroes.

Touch an incoming enemy creep and it'll show his resistances at the bottom right of the screen.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 05:43:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 14, 2014, 05:35:06 PM

Figures.

Touch an incoming enemy creep and it'll show his resistances at the bottom right of the screen.

Wow, just tried it, I am blind. I generally play with my hand hovering over the lower part of the screen, so that's why I must have been overlooking it. Thanks. Still, IMO needs a pause and look around mode, even if I couldn't lay towers. I am sure they want it to be hectic, but it distracts from the game for me.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 14, 2014, 05:43:12 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on July 14, 2014, 05:35:06 PM

Figures.

Wow, just tried it, I am blind. I generally play with my hand hovering over the lower part of the screen, so that's why I must have been overlooking it. Thanks. Still, IMO needs a pause and look around mode, even if I couldn't lay towers. I am sure they want it to be hectic, but it distracts from the game for me.

Agree on that - I suspect they more or less want you to play through maps multiple times to extend the lifetime of the game, so I guess part of the learning curve is learning the nuances of an individual map.  Most of them took me at least 2 or 3 tries, particularly to get 3 stars.  Some I had to go back to old maps to level up before I could take on them effectively.  Same kind of thing on the mobs and resistances, etc.  I didn't find that info til I was way deep into the game, and it definitely becomes more important in the later levels.  As you start to do better on a map they become less hectic leaving you time to check out the map or click on slow moving mobs to see what they are weak against.  Generally there's some time between waves for this, but only if you're on top of the current wave.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 08:51:17 PM »

Free? Awesome!

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 09:43:24 PM »

Panzer Corps (Panzer General remake) has had a drop from $20 to $10. Matrix games rarely go on sale so pick this up if you want it.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »

Ok, I am addicted to OTTD, thanks for the recommendation Rittchard. I usually have little tolerance for repeating a mission over and over to beat it, but last night I must have tried level 15 about 10 times before I finally beat it. Once I finally did, it was felt good.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »

Quote from: Lee on July 15, 2014, 11:21:38 PM

Ok, I am addicted to OTTD, thanks for the recommendation Rittchard. I usually have little tolerance for repeating a mission over and over to beat it, but last night I must have tried level 15 about 10 times before I finally beat it. Once I finally did, it was felt good.

yayyy!!  I think for me it's the RPG-ish element that keeps me playing.  I like games where even if you fail on a particular mission/map/battle, you always still make some "progress" in terms of more xp, etc to hopefully make things easier the next time around.  This game does a good job of balancing xp/gold rewards to keep you upgrading.  I think they could be a little more generous giving gold, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the system.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 12:39:02 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 14, 2014, 09:43:24 PM

Panzer Corps (Panzer General remake) has had a drop from $20 to $10. Matrix games rarely go on sale so pick this up if you want it.
I've been waiting for that one to go one sale.  That's a ton of content for $10.  Thanks for posting this.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 04:58:48 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on July 14, 2014, 09:43:24 PM

This should be in the general iOS thread.  I almost missed it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: