http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 12:29:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [iOS] Bloodmasque - Fighter/RPG from Squeenix  (Read 1926 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »

I had no idea what to think of Bloodmasque when I first saw it.  It's an strange mash-up of Infinity Blade-esque fighting, RPG, and what looked like leftovers from Vampire the Masquerade.  The main draw seemed very gimmicky:  the ability to import a picture of your face, which was then mapped to the Unreal Engine models.  I grabbed it on a whim, thinking I'd have a little fun with the with the face importer, but not expecting anything much.  10 hours later, I'm shocked to find myself completely addicted to this deep, engaging, beautiful, and fun game that is in turns awesome, ridiculous, and hilarious.

The basic set-up for the game is that you are a vampire hunter in 19th century Paris.  The story does have it's share of standard Squeenix melodrama, but I actually found it to be very engaging.  Drawing in characters from both literature (Van Helsing) and history (Tesla), the game does a nice balancing act between preposterous and serious in telling it's tale.

While the foundation of the game itself is similar to Infinity Blade in that it uses a gesture-based fighting system, I actually prefer Bloodmasque's more frantically paced battles.  They require you to watch your enemies closely, timing your attacks and dodges based on their movements.  Add in uber attacks (a la limit breaks in FF games), and fights become quick, frantic affairs.

Prior to each battle, players can switch at will between 4 "bloodclans" which provide unique abilities, and recruiting comrades that support your current bloodclan and skillset becomes crucial at the later levels.  You receive XP in the form of blood which levels up your overall character, as well as the currently selected bloodclan individually.  It makes for some interesting leveling choices:  do you max out one bloodclan and recruit comrades to cover your weaknesses, or develop a more balanced approach that might not be quite as powerful but can survive multiple challenges.  Completing missions also nets you inventory items, which come with their own unique sets of abilities. Between leveling the bloodclans and the unique weapon sets, there's a near infinite number of ways to build a character.

The face-importing mechanic is surprisingly fun.  You can import three images into the game:  casual, pleased, and angry.  It then maps your face onto the character model during both cutscenes and combat, changing between the looks as the situation warrants.   It's a little tough getting something that doesn't resemble a mutant, but it's awesome once you do.  These faces are seen by other players as well (which can be turned off if you're concerned about privacy), and folks have gotten really creative with it.  During my last battle, one of my companions had a normal face during "casual" scenes, which then switched to what I can only assume was his cat during "angry" scenes.  I couldn't help but bust out laughing

It's got a social aspect that is very well implemented.  Similar to Dragon's Dogma, you recruit other player's characters to fight with you, and have the ability to tap into their unique skills and abilities.  They are then provided with XP and possibly items after a successful mission.  Logging on each morning to see that multiple players had used Gratch the Hunter overnight and left me a chunk of XP is pretty damn cool.  The only downside is that this integration requires an always-on internet connection...this sucked when my internet went down last weekend.

Toucharcade (5/5) and Slidetoplay (4/4) both loved it.  I think these scores may be a bit inflated (could have used less repetition in enemy models, there is some grinding required, getting around the overworld was clunky, and the music got repetitive), it is certainly something that is worth a look.  Hit me up if you're playing, my code is 3423-5719 (go to Barracks--> Enlist and you can enter my code).

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »

Thanks for the early impressions Gratch...and for biting the bullet on the purchase.  Is the multiplayer all Dragon's Dogma style like you said (using their pawns/companions), or do you team up with other players too?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on July 31, 2013, 03:13:03 PM

Thanks for the early impressions Gratch...and for biting the bullet on the purchase.  Is the multiplayer all Dragon's Dogma style like you said (using their pawns/companions), or do you team up with other players too?

It's similar to the Dragons Dogma pawn system in that you recruit and use them in battle, but the other person isn't actively playing with you.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »

Took down my first 5-star vampire this morning.  Holy crap, those things are tough.  I need a better weapon, as I find myself nearly running out of time because I'm simply not doing enough damage.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 11:00:27 PM »

Sounds interesting, thank you for the impressions Gratch.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »

Beat Bloodmasque this morning.  Got a little bit grindy towards the end, but a hell of a lot of fun all the way through.  It's far more enjoyable and engaging than it has any right to be, and I'd give it a hearty recommendation.  Probably took me around 12 hours.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:41:49 PM by Gratch » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »

Bloodmasque is now free. I'd highly recommend checking it out.

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 02:49:02 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 01, 2013, 07:18:36 PM

Bloodmasque is now free. I'd highly recommend checking it out.

Will do, thanks for the tip. smile

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 03:42:05 AM »

Picked it up today. Imported my face and it's not bad once I get the lighting and skin tone to match up. Only killed two vamps but so far I'm digging it!

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »

I guess I better actually grab this tonight.  I think the sale price (free!) ends tomorrow.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: