http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 07:15:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [iOS] Battleheart Legacy  (Read 374 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3921


View Profile
« on: May 23, 2014, 02:33:54 AM »

Looks like mikamobile is on the verge of submitting the release candidate, fingers crossed for a release next week!
Logged
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3183


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 01:20:09 PM »

$5 with no IAP. Some screenshots on Touch Arcade. Worried about this, it's supposedly quite a bit different than Battleheart, which is still probably my all time favorite iOS game. I hope it's not too different.
Logged
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3157



View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »

After watching this video I would say it is vastly different that Battleheart

http://youtu.be/yFZYCumpvCA

I think it looks great but more like Diablo than Battleheart.



Logged

Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3183


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 02:34:56 PM »

Assuming the controls are exactly like BH, it looks good. But only controlling one character will lose something. I really haven't read much on this, but I would hope you eventually get a party.
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3921


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »

And it's submitted!

http://toucharcade.com/2014/05/23/battleheart-legacy-submitted/

Sorry to say it's not a party game.  It's as you said more of a diablo type rpg but with the touch based control.  Set in the same setting as BH with similar art style, etc. While I would have preferred a straight up sequel as well, I still think this is going to be a fantastic game. The amount of customization and variation you can have for your character is supposed to give the game tons of replay value.  At max level you'll have 8 skills at your disposal, so still plenty to micromanage.

Definitely my most anticipated ios game ever.
Logged
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1976


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 04:12:19 PM »

It looks promising! While I liked the tactical action of BH, a good action rpg would be great.  It's too bad they don't have a companion system.
Logged
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3183


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 02:37:25 PM »

Developer posted it comes out the 28th. TouchArcade says that probably means tonight 11EST. Out in New Zealand and elsewhere already. 
Logged
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3157



View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 02:50:32 PM »

Long video I saw on Youtube.  Looks pretty good.

http://youtu.be/TxypsEPYXzU


« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:23:57 PM by farley2k » Logged

rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3921


View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 10:34:39 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 27, 2014, 02:37:25 PM

Developer posted it comes out the 28th. TouchArcade says that probably means tonight 11EST. Out in New Zealand and elsewhere already. 

Holy cow!  I've been following it so closely but I never thought it would actually make it out when they said they would.  The dev only submitted it about 5 days ago, so that's pretty impressive how quickly it was approved.  He seemed pretty confident, so maybe he knows a guy, or else he's just that confident in his code smile
Logged
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3183


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 03:04:22 AM »

It's out, $5.
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3921


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 03:05:30 AM »

Quote from: Lee on May 28, 2014, 03:04:22 AM

It's out, $5.

Damn you beat me to it lol.  Downloading now!!
Logged
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3183


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 04:09:37 AM »

It's fun, not great so far. Too much walking around in each area just to fight a mob or two. More walking around to find path branches. Walking in town just to buy something. It's too far zoomed in too. But it's kind of fun, all about leveling and saving cash to be a badass. I'll keep playing it, but after an hour of play, it's no Battleheart.
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3921


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 07:55:41 PM »

I'd say give it some more time, Lee.  I think the depth of the game will shine over time, we'll see...

Cross-posted at TA:

Quote
I'm really enjoying the game, as I knew I would. The artwork, gameplay and class system are all fantastic. So happy there's a cloud save option so I can switch readily between my devices.

Some minor nits:

- Would be nice to have info on what skills and requirements there are so you could do a little pre-planning. I suppose many people would like to just discover this and experiment as they go along, but I suspect others would rather micromanage their character design

- The game starts off kind of difficult, and as others have mentioned, you can be left feeling lost or lose track of quests. So a journal would be great for that.

- The other thing I'd like is a way to get out of a map midway, some kind of town portal or whatnot. Particularly early on I'd be midway into a map and run out of all my potions, so you either have to backtrack all the way or die to get out. I've also run into maps where the chests wouldn't open and I couldn't get the exit to engage. So maybe a pay option to exit early would be simplest, else buying a portal scroll or something so you have to plan in advance.

- This was a bit of a controversial topic during development, but now having played the game I have to reiterate that I still would have preferred an invisible joystick type of movement (see Dungeon Quest! for a well implemented version) over the touch-based. Having tried the game on both iPhone and iPad, intuitively I try to move using my left thumb. Having to tap for both skills and movement makes combat that much more difficult, as I'm doing everything primarily with one thumb. I get some limited use out of left thumb but all in all it's not as efficient as I believe it could have been. Just my two cents.
Logged
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3157



View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 08:07:18 PM »

TouchArcade is playing Dragon Quest 8 on their twitch channel now (as well as the other new releases)

http://www.twitch.tv/toucharcade
Logged

Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3183


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 28, 2014, 07:55:41 PM

I'd say give it some more time, Lee.  I think the depth of the game will shine over time, we'll see...

Cross-posted at TA:

Quote
I'm really enjoying the game, as I knew I would. The artwork, gameplay and class system are all fantastic. So happy there's a cloud save option so I can switch readily between my devices.

Some minor nits:

- Would be nice to have info on what skills and requirements there are so you could do a little pre-planning. I suppose many people would like to just discover this and experiment as they go along, but I suspect others would rather micromanage their character design

- The game starts off kind of difficult, and as others have mentioned, you can be left feeling lost or lose track of quests. So a journal would be great for that.

- The other thing I'd like is a way to get out of a map midway, some kind of town portal or whatnot. Particularly early on I'd be midway into a map and run out of all my potions, so you either have to backtrack all the way or die to get out. I've also run into maps where the chests wouldn't open and I couldn't get the exit to engage. So maybe a pay option to exit early would be simplest, else buying a portal scroll or something so you have to plan in advance.

- This was a bit of a controversial topic during development, but now having played the game I have to reiterate that I still would have preferred an invisible joystick type of movement (see Dungeon Quest! for a well implemented version) over the touch-based. Having tried the game on both iPhone and iPad, intuitively I try to move using my left thumb. Having to tap for both skills and movement makes combat that much more difficult, as I'm doing everything primarily with one thumb. I get some limited use out of left thumb but all in all it's not as efficient as I believe it could have been. Just my two cents.

I played some more last night, and it's fun, just not living up the original for me. I agree with your points above, besides the final one. I won't buy virtual joystick games, I don't like them, my thumbs end halfway across the screen trying to push the controls. I don't play a game like this with my thumbs anyway, I don't find the controls bad at all using my index fingers other than that it can be hard to target/move when you are surrounded.
Logged
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3183


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 02:19:59 AM »

Developer is posting a patch for bugs tonight. (from Twitter)
Logged
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3157



View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 01:25:31 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 28, 2014, 08:20:52 PM

I played some more last night, and it's fun, just not living up the original for me. I agree with your points above, besides the final one. I won't buy virtual joystick games, I don't like them, my thumbs end halfway across the screen trying to push the controls. I don't play a game like this with my thumbs anyway, I don't find the controls bad at all using my index fingers other than that it can be hard to target/move when you are surrounded.

I love virtual joysticks.  I actually turned it on in Bastion.  I constantly found my fingers over the action on the screen with made me miss out on the pretty pictures. 
Logged

rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3921


View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on May 29, 2014, 01:25:31 PM

Quote from: Lee on May 28, 2014, 08:20:52 PM

I played some more last night, and it's fun, just not living up the original for me. I agree with your points above, besides the final one. I won't buy virtual joystick games, I don't like them, my thumbs end halfway across the screen trying to push the controls. I don't play a game like this with my thumbs anyway, I don't find the controls bad at all using my index fingers other than that it can be hard to target/move when you are surrounded.

I love virtual joysticks.  I actually turned it on in Bastion.  I constantly found my fingers over the action on the screen with made me miss out on the pretty pictures. 

I love them when they are done right; some early iOS games used them and they were just clunky and bad, which I think turned a lot of people off to them.  But many of the recent ones are doing them much better, like the aforementioned Dungeon Quest (which btw is probably still the best casual touch-based Diablo clone out there).  For exactly the reason Lee mentions - being able to target and move when surrounded - a joystick would have been much better for this game.  I also think there's a more direct/personal feel, and given that this is a single player RPG that would have made more sense.  I miss it even more when I have to walk a lot through areas I've already cleared for whatever reason.  Movement just feels stymied having to tap around obstacles.  The dev actually responded to my comments a while back and disagreed.  I think in particular there were skills like teleport which he'd already committed to that worked better touch based. 

- - -

Getting back to the game, other than the nits, I'm enjoying it more and more.  I'm now at the point where I've just about filled up all 6 slots of actives and passives, and have to start making real choices.  So far I've just been kind of randomly collecting the skills I like.  I generally use Charm to take over one enemy, then chain lightning and poison to soften them up.  Drain Life to get a little health back and generally finish them off with a Meteor.  I just picked up summon skeleton from the Necro, which is pretty cool.  I'd really like to get a pet, but I'm not sure how much commitment I'd need to make to get to it.

It's definitely a very different game from BH, much more of an RPG in many ways, but with many of the same sensibilities and more overall game "depth".  I think over the longer term it will stand the test of time just as well, if not better.
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3921


View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »

Toucharcade loved it, not a big surprise:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/05/29/battleheart-legacy-review/

Logged
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3183


View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 05:49:27 PM »

I stopped taking TA reviews seriously long ago, I just don't think I am the same kind of gamer as they are. For that matter, I am most certainly not the same kind of game as their forum goers.

I played for an hour or so last night. It has become more challenging, I am having fun with it, but it still hasn't grabbed me.

The controls are getting on my nerves. I turned on auto-move to attack because it was annoying fighting an archer, knocking it back, and then having to tap to move back into attack range. Then I did the the boss battle with the pig riding orc and the controls are driving me nuts. Sometimes I want to auto move, and other times I don't want to, especially when dodging attacks.
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3921


View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 04:57:57 PM »

Gameplay is getting better and better for most aspects.  At level 10 you get 2 more skill slots for a total of 8 active and 6 passive (not sure if this increases later).  That really takes the customization to the next level, so to speak.  The possibilities feel pretty much endless.

One tip: Charm (Bard skill) seems like a no-brainer, it's a cheap entry cost and so far seems like the best CC in the game.

Also there's a nice spot called Sealed Cave (lv 10) that I really like as it has only one screen of fighting, but it's pretty much non-stop once it starts.  So you can pick up a decent chunk of xp in a short amount of time without all the walking around, and the action is fast and furious, much more reminiscent of later BH battles.  Only bad news is you can't escape in between, there are gates that prevent you from leaving.  I'll probably end up farming this spot when I only have a few minutes to play.

One negative thing is I have started to experience occasional crashes and sound drops, so hopefully the stability gets ironed out over time.

I have to agree the control scheme is not the best for some specific circumstances.  I firmly believe a joystick would have worked better 95% of the time, giving you more full control of where you want/need to be.  The action is fast paced enough that the tap movement can become a hindrance when you are trying to activate a skill while moving.  I often see the little blue circle of where I intended to move just sitting there while I'm doing a skill, which generally means I'm being pummeled on or standing in the path of an incoming spell.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 66 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.023s, 2q)