http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 07:17:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [iOS] Bardbarian and Hero Siege  (Read 616 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2014, 08:33:37 PM »

Couple of relatively new Action-RPG-lite releases, both a lot of fun and from a gameplay feel, very similar in terms of being "hit and run" style.  But the details are very different.  

Hero Siege - has a retro, old-school look to it, uses clear stylistic influences from Diablo 2.  You choose between 3 classes, and then are put into a randomized series of maps/enemy waves.  There's a Roguelike element to it, in that when you die, it's over.  The only thing persistent is your xp/levels.  Each level you get a couple stat points and a skill point.  You pick up gold (which can be spent on temporary boosts), as well as random "relics" which give boosts only until you die.  Other randomized potions and status can grant permanent stat changes.  There are mini dungeons you can enter as well, but the predominant game is in enemy waves; upon completion you go to a new random-generated map.  The difficulty felt a bit extreme to me at first but after I cleared a threshold it became more fun.  It can get really crazy, and you WILL die, a lot.  

The graphics are hit and miss, I'm getting a little tired of so many "retro" graphics games, it's beginning to feel more like laziness than a style choice.  It works in this game, but I think really nice graphics would have made the game even better.  Sometimes the screen is so cluttered you can't tell what's going on.

Game cost $2.99 with some optional IAP.

Bardbarian - this one takes a different approach, though combat feels oddly very similar to Hero Siege.  You play a barbarian who has given up fighting and now plays his axe as a guitar.  Instead of direct fighting, you summon minions to a party who do the fighting for you.  There's something like 12 different minion types to unlock, so your team make-up can be tailored to your liking.

You have to protect a giant crystal in the town by fending off enemies.  Your character doesn't gain xp/levels, but the minions do.  However they are expendable and will eventually die.  Summoning more minions and/or minion boosts costs musical points which you gain through killing enemies.

The game also proceeds in waves, but with the same town map.  You also earn gold during each playthrough, which can be spent on persistent improvements to your minions, to your main hero (including increasing the number of minions in your team), or to the town itself.   It's a very nice and amusing system, with plenty of room for upgrades to tailor the gameplay to your liking.  One of the town upgrades is a town drunk who pukes at random spots, which slows the bad guys down.  

Game is $0.99 but I'd highly recommend an additional $0.99 for double the gold drops; game is totally worth $2.

- - -

Between the 2, I'd have to recommend Bardbarian over Hero Siege, though both are very fun and highly recommended.  Some people may prefer Hero due to the roguelike elements; the randomness definitely gives it an edge in terms of replayability.  I like that there is more of a persistent feel in Bard, though. The upgrades are very clear and tangible and there's less luck involved, for better or worse.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:36:28 PM by rittchard » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »

At first I thought Hero Siege was an older game, then I realized that I was actually thinking of Siege Hero (which is a decent Angry Birds type with shots from the front instead of the side).

I've been eyeing Bardbarian, though.  Good to hear the recommendation.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:56:20 PM »

Bardbarian just released an update that fixed a couple of lingering bugs, so it's safe for me to pimp it some more   thumbsup

Coincidentally the day after I posted about it, it won Game of the Week from Touch Arcade and got a 5-star review:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/01/20/bardbarian-review/

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 05:35:15 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 24, 2014, 11:56:20 PM

Coincidentally the day after I posted about it, it won Game of the Week from Touch Arcade and got a 5-star review:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/01/20/bardbarian-review/

I haven't played Bardbarian, since I am hopeless at games with virtual joysticks so I stayed away, but I am starting to trust Touch Arcade less and less. Their game of the week seems to mean nothing as far as game quality goes, and some of their non-reviews just sound like they press releases. Plus some of their highly reviews games I bought have been pretty meh for me. Starting to rely more on Pocket Tactics. The problem with most mobile game review sites is that they can't keep up on all the releases so you get really spotty coverage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: