http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 08:19:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [3DS] Heroes of Ruin  (Read 1186 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »

I have to say the 3DS has pretty much been a bust for me.  I barely used it at all and haven't been excited by any of the recent releases.  I just noticed this one on Amazon while looking at Vita games, looks like it could be a lot of fun for ARPG fans.

http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-Ruin-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B0050SVKRY/ref=pd_sim_vg_57
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:28:20 AM »

Siliconera has a video of the Alchitect class in action.  The graphics don't look as good as I'd expect for the 3DS, but everything else seems solid.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 01:24:35 AM »

I'm down for something like this on the 3ds, or the vita.. Definatly will read reviews.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »

I think EddieA said he was getting this.  I have it on preorder as well, anyone else?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »

I've gone back and forth all week, trying to decide if I should cancel my preorder, but I've decided to go ahead and get the game.  The main complaint about the game seems to be the lack of content.  The campaign is supposed to be around 8 hours, and there are no difficulty levels or new game+.  Still, the demo was fun (especially the gunslinger) and playing through the game with a few different characters should let me get my $30 worth out of it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »

EddieA's news about short length and no new game + has probably pushed me to the side of not buying.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 11:10:34 PM »

Jury's still out for me.  I only played a few minutes and in general liked what I saw, but can't make a recommendation based off of that.  The interface is very clean and intuitive, and combat feels pretty good for the most part (I'm trying the gunslinger first).  I really like the way they structure the minimap, quest log and inventory on the bottom screen and keeping the main screen for all the action.  Haven't seen a lot of loot yet so it's hard to tell if it's gonna be really game-making/changing or not.  The skill system I only briefly looked at but it seemed fairly extensive given the reviews saying the game is so short.  That in and of itself doesn't bother me; any good ARPG will make you want to play again with at least another class or 2, so that doesn't bug me.  No added difficulties is definitely a bummer, though.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »

I just finished the first main section of the game and it's been fun so far.  It reminds me a lot of Torchlight - solid mechanics and gameplay, but rather bland and generic.  The interface is about as good as it gets on the 3DS, although I wish you could have more skills at the ready.  My favorite thing about the game so far is the skills - they're fun to use, look great, and can be combined in interesting ways.  As an alchitect, I can lob a vortex grenade that sucks enemies into one spot, throw down a poison spell, and then fall back and fire on the enemies with arcane bolts.  This usually isn't necessary, though, as the game has been easy enough that the vortex grenade and slashing the enemies has been enough.  Potions are so plentiful that you don't really need to worry about your health or mana.

Loot has been the most disappointing aspect.  Since loot is strictly divided by class, you don't find all that much loot that you can even use, and most of it is worse than what you already have.  You do get good stuff from bosses, but I haven't been changing equipment very often.  Hopefully, this will improve as the game goes on.  Also, it looks like the 6-10 hour length estimates were way off.  Either the in-game timer is faulty, or it isn't running much of the time.  The game says I've been playing for about 3 and a half hours, while my 3DS activity log shows it's actually been over 6 hours.  I read that there are four areas (can't find a walkthrough anywhere), but even if later areas are shorter and I'm halfway through, that's at least 12+ hours and possibly a lot more.

I wouldn't recommend the game at the full $40 price, but if you're into hack and slash RPGs, I'd definitley recommend it once the price comes down.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »

Are you guys playing solo or have you gone online?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 06:30:32 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on July 31, 2012, 01:13:10 PM

Are you guys playing solo or have you gone online?

Only solo so far, been too lazy to set up an acct or whatever it was I was supposed to do.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »

Gametrailers review.  Short recap they hated it.  It is very uncommon for them not to find something good about a game but they certainly didn't find anything about this one.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 07:22:43 PM »

I think they were too harsh on the game.  Most of their complaints were valid, but they're also common to the genre.  There are only a handful of hack and slash RPGs that aren't generic, don't have poor enemy AI, and don't feature bare-bones stories.  That doesn't mean they're not worth playing.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 01:15:31 AM »

I played just the demo and was underwhelmed. Maybe when it hits the bargain bin, but I can't say I'm that excited.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: