http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 08:06:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [3DS] Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl  (Read 749 times)
Crusis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2013, 06:09:27 PM »

Anyone take the plunge? These games are like Heisenberg crack to me. I'm really interested in the story mode. Also, I'm addicted to the map making in these games. Anyway, is there enough new content to stand up against ET IV or am I looking at the same game and monsters but with a different name.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 06:30:48 PM »

I have it in hand. Have never played an EO game so this seemed like a good place to start. I'm a little unclear about story mode vs. classic mode. Does story mode have everything classic mode has plus cutscenes or does it have less fighting or something?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »

I will be downloading it when I get home later tonight.  I played Story Mode in the demo and got my characters up to level 10 (the limit of the demo) and the game  left me wanting more.  I think the addition of a story is a great thing for the series and am looking forward to playing it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »

Curse you Grue - I'm off to purchase.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 01, 2013, 06:30:48 PM

I have it in hand. Have never played an EO game so this seemed like a good place to start. I'm a little unclear about story mode vs. classic mode. Does story mode have everything classic mode has plus cutscenes or does it have less fighting or something?

Story mode has a greater emphasis on story (obviously slywink), cutscenes, premade characters, an extra dungeon, and (I think) it contains more introductory/tutorial information.  However, you don't get to make your own characters and only five of the game's classes are present.  Classic mode has the same areas and enemies, but plays like a traditional dungeon crawler - little story, you make your own characters from more classes, etc.  If this is your first EO game, I'd start with story mode.  It seems it was designed specifically for people new to the series or genre.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:19:20 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 01, 2013, 08:58:05 PM

Quote from: Teggy on October 01, 2013, 06:30:48 PM

Story mode has a greater emphasis on story (obviously slywink), cutscenes, premade characters, an extra dungeon, and (I think) it contains more introductory/tutorial information.  However, you don't get to make your own characters and only five of the game's classes are present.  Classic mode has the same areas and enemies, but plays like a traditional dungeon crawler - little story, you make your own characters from all avaiable classes, etc.  If this is your first EO game, I'd start with story mode.  It seems it was designed specifically for people new to the series or genre.

Amendment: If this is your first EO game, you need to watch the FOE video.  It should help cover the bases to help make sure you're as prepared as possible when you enter the dungeons.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »

Played the intro dungeon and the first story mission. So, without story how did the original game play out? You just got quests with no story to tie them together?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 02, 2013, 03:32:53 PM

Played the intro dungeon and the first story mission. So, without story how did the original game play out? You just got quests with no story to tie them together?

There was a very light story, but yeah mostly you just accepted missions and tried to complete them. The draw wasn't the story, it has always been the classic dungeon crawling difficulty that Etrian games supply.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »

I have Etrian Odyssey one through four in my backlog, along with The Millennium Girl. Is it even worth playing the first few games anymore? On a couple other forums people are saying skip the first three games and just play the remake and Etrian Odyssey 4, as the number of improvements in later games is dramatic.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 12:23:49 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 08, 2013, 10:49:58 PM

I have Etrian Odyssey one through four in my backlog, along with The Millennium Girl. Is it even worth playing the first few games anymore? On a couple other forums people are saying skip the first three games and just play the remake and Etrian Odyssey 4, as the number of improvements in later games is dramatic.

I thought part 3 was really good.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on October 09, 2013, 12:23:49 AM

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 08, 2013, 10:49:58 PM

I thought part 3 was really good.

It definitely was.  That being said, these two 3DS ones are may favorite of the series and more so with Untold because it adds some story.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: