http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 01:48:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zimmerman / Martin Thread?  (Read 5473 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on July 16, 2013, 03:41:57 AM

My favorite is Carol Ostello from CNN, where she asked why the jury wasn't three African Americans females and three white females.
or when she said that the jury members should go public, as "protests are going on all across the country and the jury-members they have a chance to kind of settle things down. Only they can answer questions as to why they found George Zimmerman not guilty. For instance did they think race did not factor in?"

The anchor you are thinking of is Carol Costello.  I know because I just spent about fifteen minutes trying source that quote.  Variations of "Carol Costello" with "Zimmerman," "jury," "anonymity," and "race factor" turned up nothing but completely boilerplate conversations about the trial and the facts in evidence.

Then I searched for the specific phrase, "Only they can answer questions as to why they found George Zimmerman not guilty."  That finally landed a hit at Breitbart.com -- one with no video and no timestamp -- and a half-dozen other sites that had reposted the article verbatim.

For those of us who might have reasons to distrust a hard-right website that has relentlessly pushed "BREAKING NEWS!" stories about President Obama's phony birth certificate and how pollsters were colluding to make Mitt Romney's impending victory seem suspicious, do you have any other sources for this quote and its context?  If not, the Friends of Hamas would like to have a word with you.

Quote from: The New Yorker
The most recent example of this issue, of course, is the suddenly infamous “Friends of Hamas” story. About two weeks ago, Breitbart News editor-at-large Ben Shapiro reported:

On Thursday, Senate sources told Breitbart News exclusively that they have been informed that one of the reasons that President Barack Obama’s nominee for Secretary of Defense, Chuck Hagel, has not turned over requested documents on his sources of foreign funding is that one of the names listed is a group purportedly called “Friends of Hamas.”

There was, it turns out, a problem with the story: Friends of Hamas does not exist, and never has.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2013, 02:41:13 PM »

As usual, The Onion summed it up perfectly:  In Our Defense, These Were Some Pretty Fucked-Up Laws And We Were Ordered To Deliberate In Accordance With Them

Now, I realize many of you are incredibly upset by our verdict, but in our defense, these laws are completely fucked up, and our responsibility as jurors was to rule in accordance with them. Perhaps you should focus your anger not on us, but the moronic—I might say insane—statutes we were charged with upholding.

I mean, for the people who are angry at us, you do realize that we can’t just use our own personal ethical guidelines as a basis to determine a defendant’s innocence or guilt, right? That’s not how it works. And if you think that’s how it works, you’re idiots. In many ways, making a judgment based purely on our own moral compass would have been way, way easier to do. This guy pursued an unarmed kid who was doing absolutely nothing wrong and shot him to death. Seems pretty clear-cut to me that the guy should be punished in some way, shape, or form.

But thanks to these dumb-as-dog-shit laws, while the defense had to introduce some evidence that George Zimmerman acted in self-defense, they didn’t actually have to completely convince us of it. All they had to do, according to the undoubtedly moronic but explicitly written Florida statutes, was create a “reasonable doubt” as to whether he acted in self-defense.

icon_lol

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »

Hopefully we ALL agree Holder and the admin have no place pursuing anything in regard to this trial.

Wake up.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 16, 2013, 05:18:58 PM

Hopefully we ALL agree Holder and the admin have no place pursuing anything in regard to this trial.

You're doing this on purpose now, aren't you?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »

Regardless of your opinion on the outcome of the trial, I believe it is reprehensible that the media (all channels) continue to cover this story.

They're doing nothing but adding fuel to the flames.

Wake up.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2013, 05:40:34 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 16, 2013, 05:32:27 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 16, 2013, 05:18:58 PM

You're doing this on purpose now, aren't you?

Yes, that was on purpose, prompted by reports that the admin is "going to investigate".

I hope to God they let this case die, but the very notion that they're considering it is troubling to me.

Wake up.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »

The number of things that trouble you are so numerous that I'm surprised you even get up in the morning.  A day with you must be...

Eco:  Ah, thanks dear wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend.  I love Frosted Flakes with sliced bananas on top!  NOW IF ONLY THAT GODDAMN ERIC HOLDER WOULD STOP USING THE NSA TO BUG FRUIT RANCHES IN UPSTATE NEW YORK!

<heads to work>

Eco:  Yes boss, I fully understand that it's supposed to be business attire around here.  BUT THAT GODDAMN BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA WON'T LET ME WEAR EARTH TONES!

<eating lunch with coworkers>

Eco:  Ha ha ha....that is very funny indeed, Tom.  However, I think it would be even funnier if the chicken crossed the road TO GET AWAY FROM THAT GODDAMN BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA!

<enjoying some down time with the neighbors later that evening>

Eco:  Sure, I know you think you're doing the right thing by recycling, Chuck...BUT UNTIL THAT GODDAMN ERIC HOLDER ADMITS HE BUGGED MY PRIUS AND IS OUT TO GET MY LUCKY CHARMS...wait...did you say you had HBO earlier?  You ever watch The Wire?  Man, I loved that show.  They really captured the reality behind crime at the street level...now...where was I?  Oh...yeah...GODDAMN ADMINISTRATION WANTS ME TO WEAR SANDALS ON THURSDAYS NOW!  THURSDAYS!!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:09:37 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 16, 2013, 06:05:52 PM

The number of things that trouble you are so numerous that I'm surprised you even get up in the morning.  A day with you must be...

Eco:  Ah, thanks dear wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend.  I love Frosted Flakes with sliced bananas on top!  NOW IF ONLY THAT GODDAMN ERIC HOLDER WOULD STOP USING THE NSA TO BUG FRUIT RANCHES IN UPSTATE NEW YORK!

<heads to work>

Eco:  Yes boss, I fully understand that it's supposed to be business attire around here.  BUT THAT GODDAMN BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA WON'T LET ME WEAR EARTH TONES!

<eating lunch with coworkers>

Eco:  Ha ha ha....that is very funny indeed, Tom.  However, I think it would be even funnier if the chicken crossed the road TO GET AWAY FROM THAT GODDAMN BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA!

<enjoying some down time with the neighbors later that evening>

Eco:  Sure, I know you think you're doing the right thing by recycling, Chuck...BUT UNTIL THAT GODDAMN ERIC HOLDER ADMITS HE BUGGED MY PRIUS AND IS OUT TO GET MY LUCKY CHARMS...wait...did you say you had HBO earlier?  You ever watch The Wire?  Man, I loved that show.  They really captured the reality behind crime at the street level...now...where was I?  Oh...yeah...GODDAMN ADMINISTRATION WANTS ME TO WEAR SANDALS ON THURSDAYS NOW!  THURSDAYS!!!

Is it Frosted Flakes or Lucky Charms? Just like a liberal to misrepresent the facts.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »

Hahaha so damn clever, yet so dumb.   I'm just glad as hell I don't have to correspond with many folks as dumb as you Hep. 

This is a tragic case, and it's "on record"  that the bullshit president you elected is going to investigate and for any American worth a DAMN, that is ludicrous.

Wake up.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on July 16, 2013, 03:41:57 AM

I'm especially unhappy that the media seems hellbent to find out who the jurors were, despite their requests to remain anonymous based upon the hostility and threats directed at them. By all means, please add the jurors so we can publicly shame and torment them for doing your civic duty.

By the way, hours before Dante Rising posted about how furiously CNN was working to breach the jurors' anonymity, one of the jurors was giving an anonymous interview to CNN.  Anderson Cooper must have been absolutely steaming that he couldn't penetrate her cunning shroud of darkness from just four feet away.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 16, 2013, 07:44:12 PM

This is a tragic case, and it's "on record"  that the bullshit president you elected is going to investigate and for any American worth a DAMN, that is ludicrous.

I love how in Eco's world Obama sits in his Dr. Evil chair all day, ordering helpless minions to do his evil bidding while cackling and twirling his mustache.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2013, 09:00:16 PM »

Not really,but I do picture hep wearing a Carrot Top wig.

All kidding aside, it appears the federal gov will not be taking this case any further.  End of story.

Wake up.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 16, 2013, 09:00:16 PM

but I do picture hep

It's hard not to, considering how dreamy I am...

<Eco on the phone>

Eco:  GODDAMNIT, YOU...ARE...AN IDIOT IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THIS ADMINISTRATION SINGLE HANDEDLY ENGINEERED THE BIRD FLU EPIDEMIC!  AND YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY BE SO DUMB AS TO NOT SEE HOW OBAMA IS THE SINGLE WORST GODDAMN PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD....WOOOORRRLLLLDDDD!!!!!! 

YEAH!?  WELL F' ME  YOU ARE AN IDIOT.  JUST A DAMN FOOL.

what's that?  yeah...yeah...I'll see you Sunday.  Love you too, ma.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:44:42 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »

You seem to have lost what little humor you had...

Wake up.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2013, 12:04:31 AM »

I'm betting Obama stole it.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2013, 12:58:45 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 17, 2013, 12:04:31 AM

I'm betting Obama stole it.

icon_lol

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2013, 10:39:49 PM »

Starting to think Eco is something like Stephen Colbert, it's satire. Well done if so.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2013, 07:39:19 AM »

Quote from: Lee on July 17, 2013, 10:39:49 PM

Starting to think Eco is something like Stephen Colbert, it's satire. Well done if so.

Nah, he's serious. Just yesterday I read about this movement of neo-Nazis who think the Jews are secretly masterminding a Muslim invasion of Europe. If people can honestly believe stupid shit like that, even the things Eco believes in can almost be considered borderline realistic in comparison.

Of course, if you compare to the real world, he comes off as a raving lunatic. It's all about contrast.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »

To be fair, I don't believe Eco is insane or evil.  I just think he's a bit narrow minded and incapable of accepting any other world view than his own.  I do hope he grows past it someday, though. 

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »

Neither of those includes a picture of Obama molesting a baby seal or stealing a candy cane from a baby though.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 18, 2013, 01:45:15 PM

Neither of those includes a picture of Obama molesting a baby seal or stealing a candy cane from a baby though.

Feel free to create your own if that's the imagery you're hung up on.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 18, 2013, 01:24:07 PM

Lets be fair here, Zimmerman is no where near as cool as Machete or that dude from Planet of the Apes.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2013, 06:10:50 PM »

Can we all finally agree that Florida's expanded self defense law "Stand Your Ground" had nothing to do with this case?

Bob Dekle, a retired prosecutor who also teaches at UF Law, said, " 'Stand your ground' turns out to have been a huge red herring (in the Zimmerman case.) The result very well could have been the same prior to enactment of the law."

Dekle, a critic of "stand your ground" provisions, said that even if a person initiates a fight, they always have had the right to defend themselves if they're in fear of death or great bodily harm. "You don't forfeit your right to do whatever you need to do to live simply because you've been a jerk," Dekle said.

The only question is whether Zimmerman was truly in danger when he fired the shot.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2013, 06:26:29 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 18, 2013, 06:10:50 PM

Can we all finally agree that Florida's expanded self defense law "Stand Your Ground" had nothing to do with this case?

Bob Dekle, a retired prosecutor who also teaches at UF Law, said, " 'Stand your ground' turns out to have been a huge red herring (in the Zimmerman case.) The result very well could have been the same prior to enactment of the law."

Dekle, a critic of "stand your ground" provisions, said that even if a person initiates a fight, they always have had the right to defend themselves if they're in fear of death or great bodily harm. "You don't forfeit your right to do whatever you need to do to live simply because you've been a jerk," Dekle said.

The only question is whether Zimmerman was truly in danger when he fired the shot.

Don't hold your breath on them agreeing...

The Stand Your Ground law has been utilized in FL by African Americans by a pretty significant margin.

This case was never about race or stand your ground.

Wake up.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 18, 2013, 06:26:29 PM

The Stand Your Ground law has been utilized in FL by African Americans by a pretty significant margin.

It's especially helpful if your victim is black.   slywink

There are plenty of controversies and unintended consequences in how it has been used.

• People often go free under "stand your ground" in cases that seem to make a mockery of what lawmakers intended. One man killed two unarmed people and walked out of jail. Another shot a man as he lay on the ground. Others went free after shooting their victims in the back. In nearly a third of the cases the Times analyzed, defendants initiated the fight, shot an unarmed person or pursued their victim — and still went free.

• Similar cases can have opposite outcomes. Depending on who decided their cases, some drug dealers claiming self-defense have gone to prison while others have been set free. The same holds true for killers who left a fight, only to arm themselves and return. Shoot someone from your doorway? Fire on a fleeing burglar? Your case can swing on different interpretations of the law by prosecutors, judge or jury.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 18, 2013, 06:10:50 PM

Juror B37 disagrees:

Quote from: Anderson Cooper 360
COOPER: Tell me about that.

JUROR: [The law] became very confusing. We had stuff thrown at us. We had the second-degree murder charge, the manslaughter charge, then we had self-defense, stand your ground, and I think there was one other one.

COOPER: Because of the only, the two options you had, second degree murder or manslaughter, you felt neither applied?

JUROR: Right. Well, because of the heat of the moment and the stand your ground. He had a right to defend himself.

Assuming we agree that a Florida law professor probably knows more about applying Florida laws than most of us, a juror on the case still cites the law by name as a factor in her decision to acquit.  Whether Zimmerman might have gotten off without the law is speculation, but the fact that he got off because of the law is a matter of record.

-Autistic Angel
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2013, 09:40:36 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 18, 2013, 09:27:12 PM

Juror B37 disagrees:

JUROR: [The law] became very confusing. We had stuff thrown at us. We had the second-degree murder charge, the manslaughter charge, then we had self-defense, stand your ground, and I think there was one other one.

COOPER: Because of the only, the two options you had, second degree murder or manslaughter, you felt neither applied?

JUROR: Right. Well, because of the heat of the moment and the stand your ground. He had a right to defend himself.

Assuming we agree that a Florida law professor probably knows more about applying Florida laws than most of us, a juror on the case still cites the law by name as a factor in her decision to acquit.  Whether Zimmerman might have gotten off without the law is speculation, but the fact that he got off because of the law is a matter of record.

-Autistic Angel

A juror can make a reference to any random law, but that doesn't mean she knows what she is talking about or that it was actually used in the trial. Everything I've read (which isn't very much) says no one (prosecutor, defense attorney, or judge) used Stand Your Ground.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 18, 2013, 09:40:36 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 18, 2013, 09:27:12 PM

Juror B37 disagrees:

-Autistic Angel

A juror can make a reference to any random law, but that doesn't mean she knows what she is talking about or that it was actually used in the trial. Everything I've read (which isn't very much) says no one (prosecutor, defense attorney, or judge) used Stand Your Ground.

You...may not know who Juror B37 is?  That's about the only explanation that makes sense here.

She was a juror in George Zimmerman's murder trial.  She granted an interview to CNN's Anderson Cooper.  I linked to a full transcript above.

The text you quoted while writing that no one considered the Stand Your Ground law during the trial is a direct quote from a juror stating that she voted for acquittal based *specifically* on Stand Your Ground.  How much less ambiguous could that possibly be?

-Autistic Angel
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2013, 12:02:25 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on July 18, 2013, 11:02:47 PM

You...may not know who Juror B37 is?  That's about the only explanation that makes sense here.

She was a juror in George Zimmerman's murder trial.  She granted an interview to CNN's Anderson Cooper.  I linked to a full transcript above.

The text you quoted while writing that no one considered the Stand Your Ground law during the trial is a direct quote from a juror stating that she voted for acquittal based *specifically* on Stand Your Ground.  How much less ambiguous could that possibly be?

Yes, I know who that juror is and, yes, I read the transcript.

JUROR: It became very confusing. We had stuff thrown at us. We had the second-degree murder charge, the manslaughter charge, then we had self-defense, stand your ground, and I think there was one other one.
This person is admittedly confused, throwing out terms without regards to understanding them.

JUROR: Right. Well, because of the heat of the moment and the stand your ground. He had a right to defend himself. If he felt threatened that his life was going to be taken away from him or he was going to have bodily harm, he had a right.
The right to defend yourself is not Stand Your Ground. This juror is describing basic self-defense laws. SYG just means you don't have to retreat. But if Zimmerman is being held down that was never an option, therefore irrelevant to this case. Which is why he never used it as a defense.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 18, 2013, 06:38:24 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on July 18, 2013, 06:26:29 PM

It's especially helpful if your victim is black.  slywink

I found this particularly damning

Defendants claiming "stand your ground" are more likely to prevail if the victim is black. Seventy-three percent of those who killed a black person faced no penalty compared to 59 percent of those who killed a white.

So, Eco...about that attempt to make it sound like African Americans are benefiting from Stand Your Ground Laws?  Care to change your blatantly false accusation?

p.s my favorite part is where you write

This case was never about race or stand your ground.

Right after you wrote

icon_lol
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 01:06:36 PM by hepcat » Logged

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »

I'm beating a dead horse here, but The New Jim Crow is an eye opening book about racism and how pervasive it is from SCOTUS on down in our legal system.

This statistic in that link is no surprise to me after reading it:

Defendants claiming "stand your ground" are more likely to prevail if the victim is black. Seventy-three percent of those who killed a black person faced no penalty compared to 59 percent of those who killed a white.

The whole system is skewed to benefit whites (though the broad powers police and prosecutors have been given infringe on all of our rights regardless of race).  It's sickening.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »

Here's where we have a disagreement on the state of things though.  I see the problems you mention as remnants of another age that are either more prominent in the media and public eye now because more of us are seeing these incidents as wrong, or they're just now coming to light because of that and a public that demands more accountability.  

So where you see the rise of an oppressive government and an increase in racism, I tend to view it as positive that so many people are seeking an end to these things when they see/hear of them.  I tend to believe things were much worse even a few years ago. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:24:30 PM by hepcat » Logged

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2013, 03:16:13 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 19, 2013, 02:19:57 PM

Here's where we have a disagreement on the state of things though.  I see the problems you mention as remnants of another age that are either more prominent in the media and public eye now because more of us are seeing these incidents as wrong, or they're just now coming to light because of that and a public that demands more accountability.  

So where you see the rise of an oppressive government and an increase in racism, I tend to view it as positive that so many people are seeking an end to these things when they see/hear of them.  I tend to believe things were much worse even a few years ago. 

I hope I didn't equate that just because I personally have just found out about it, that it's new.  It definitely dates back decades and even centuries.  And SCOTUS has spoken again and again. So I'm not sure it will change.

(But again, I've only read one book on the topic....)
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »

The fact that it's getting called out should be an indication that change is possible, if not already well underway.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »

Race plays complex role in Florida's 'stand your ground' law

The Times analysis found no obvious bias in how black defendants have been treated:

• Whites who invoked the law were charged at the same rate as blacks.

• Whites who went to trial were convicted at the same rate as blacks.

• In mixed-race cases involving fatalities, the outcomes were similar. Four of the five blacks who killed a white went free; five of the six whites who killed a black went free.

• Overall, black defendants went free 66 percent of the time in fatal cases compared to 61 percent for white defendants — a difference explained, in part, by the fact blacks were more likely to kill another black.

"Let's be clear,'' said Alfreda Coward, a black Fort Lauderdale lawyer whose clients are mostly black men. "This law was not designed for the protection of young black males, but it's benefiting them in certain cases.''

The Times analysis does not prove that race caused the disparity between cases with black and white victims. Other factors may be at play.

The analysis, for example, found that black victims were more likely to be carrying a weapon when they were killed. They also were more likely than whites to be committing a crime, such as burglary, at the time.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2013, 04:54:39 PM »

S-Y-G really needs to either be thrown away, or painstakingly defined so that the numerous cases of (what I consider) abuses are lessened. 

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2013, 06:40:56 PM »

Obama weighed in again.

Now TM isn't his son, it's him 35 years ago.

Roll Eyes

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2013, 07:39:18 PM »

Such bullshit it's hard to understand how anyone can take him seriously.

The Prosecution (as fucking inept as they were), even agreed this case had nothing to do with SYG or Race.  You feel otherwise,  i fear you can't be helped.

Wake up.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »

He's in a position to help calm the situation by giving the African American community someone in charge that's one of them.  He's letting them know they're living in a time and a place in which they AREN'T powerless.  That they DO have a voice. That's never been a reality before now.  Not to this degree.

And look at his words.  The entirety of them and not just the parts that your prejudices want you to.  The parts that are read without context.

The president added, "The judge conducted the trial in a professional manner. The prosecution and the defense made their arguments. The jurors were properly instructed that in a case such as this, reasonable doubt was relevant and they rendered a verdict.  And once the jury's spoken, that's how our system works."

He's not calling for riots, he's not demanding the heads of white people.  He's directly addressing the source of the anger in the African American community and attempting to defuse it by telling them this isn't the world you're afraid it is...it's not the world of our parents or grandparents.

"I don’t want us to lose sight that things are getting better. Each successive generation seems to be making progress in changing attitudes when it comes to race. I doesn’t mean that we’re in a post racial society. It doesn’t mean that racism is eliminated," he said. "But you know, when I talk to Malia and Sasha and I listen to their friends and I see them interact, they’re better than we are."

It's sad that those with an agenda in this matter are twisting the meaning of his words to suit their needs.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:04:53 PM by hepcat » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: