http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 09:21:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people still listen to Rush "I love my Oxy" Limbaugh?  (Read 1640 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2008, 01:50:41 PM »

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/05/08/limbaugh-comes-out-for-obama/

Seriously, even if I was undecided I think that his uneducated and unfounded jowling would drive me away from whatever he was selling.  Anyone have a clue why (and who?!) he manages to hold an audience of any kind?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »

He lost any credibility he might have had when I heard some of his earlier broadcasts calling for no second chances for drug addicts.  This was about 5 or 6 years before he went on "Hillbilly Heroin". 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:48:26 PM »

Probably the same group of idjits that think Bush is doing "a good job". The same people that make Ann Coulter a NYT best selling author. It's baffling that these people exist, in large numbers, especially considering how woeful the neocon agenda has proven to be.
helot2000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 02:51:31 PM »

Angry people who don't have internet access? 

My dad used to listen to him in the '90s but grew bored with this shtick.  I found this Rassmusen poll interesting.  Rush has the highest unfavorable rating in their poll of, ahem, journalists with 62% of the public seeing him unfavorably.  Don't fret about Rush's Obama endorsement.  This is the same person who gave us the following prediction on a McCain nomination.

RUSH:  I understand what you're saying.  I hate to tell you this, but she's not alone.  I'm here to tell you, if either of these two guys get the nomination, it's going to destroy the Republican Party, it's going to change it forever, be the end of it.  A lot of people aren't going to vote.  You watch.

Saving the world one post at a time.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 08, 2008, 02:48:26 PM

Probably the same group of idjits that think Bush is doing "a good job".
And no doubt there's a significant portion of his audience coming from the same group of "idjits" who think Bush isn't doing "a good job."

To answer the question, it's because he's entertaining. He riles people up about issues in which it is easy to rile people. He speaks eloquently, for the most part. He exposes and ridicules the easy target that is the crappy media. He self-promotes with skill, as does every radio star. People want to hear what he's going to say next. They swarm to controversy, etc.

And no, I don't listen to him.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 04:06:54 PM »

I have a very good friend, very, very intelligent, who absolutely adores Rush.  She was afraid for the longest time to tell me that she listened to him, for fear of what my reaction would be.

I can't figure it out, but I choose to overlook this character flaw.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 04:12:40 PM »

I have no idea why he is so popular either.  But I know quite a few people personally who listen to him regularly.  This site tends to be pretty liberal.  But I still say that the majority of Americans are conservative, at least on many social issues.  He taps into alot of anti-liberalism out there.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 04:47:43 PM »

I don't get it.  My wife, a staunch liberal, listens to some of the conservative radio, Rush included.  She says it's funny how ridiculous they are.   saywhat
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 06:14:01 PM »

He's just an offline version of a forum troll/attention whore.  Some folks love the drama, some folks love to rubberneck, and so on.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 09:32:43 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 08, 2008, 03:39:49 PM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 08, 2008, 02:48:26 PM

Probably the same group of idjits that think Bush is doing "a good job".
And no doubt there's a significant portion of his audience coming from the same group of "idjits" who think Bush isn't doing "a good job."

To answer the question, it's because he's entertaining. He riles people up about issues in which it is easy to rile people. He speaks eloquently, for the most part. He exposes and ridicules the easy target that is the crappy media. He self-promotes with skill, as does every radio star. People want to hear what he's going to say next. They swarm to controversy, etc.

And no, I don't listen to him.

I agree that this is the key.  Talk radio requires people who say the kinds of things that bring in callers and listeners.  Limbaugh riles people up and he occasionally makes a good point (rarely). 

Honestly, if you turned on the radio and the host had the same views you had all the time would you keep listening?  Most people wouldn't.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 10:02:46 AM »

To alot of us Canadians most of your "zealous" political personalities, Democratic or Republican, sound like used car salesmen or game show hosts.

Go Hollywood!

Whats the name of the Comedian who got a talk show who shoots himself in the foot on a regular basis?
I think he's the Democratic equivelent to Rush.........

Grace: Unmerited favor.
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 05:23:25 PM »

Even if you disagree with the host, talk-radio shows can still be entertaining.  I sometimes listen to Rush, but that doesn't mean I continually nod my head in agreement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: