http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 02:48:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's McCain trying to pull?  (Read 1626 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »

He's planning on suspending his campaigning and wants to delay the debates until this Wall Street thing blows over?  Do they really need his help that bad?  Or is he afraid of what will happen in the debates?  I don't think anybody needs his "the fundamentals of our economy are strong" advice.
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:21:21 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 24, 2008, 10:19:14 PM

Do they really need his help that bad?

Nope.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 10:24:23 PM »

Initial survey results show that people have seen through the ruse.

SurveyUSA interviewed 1,000 adults nationwide.

Key findings:
A majority of Americans say the debate should be held. Just 10% say the debate should be postponed. A sizable percentage of Americans, 36%, think the focus of the debate should be modified to focus more on the economy. 3 of 4 Americans say the presidential campaign should continue. Just 14% say the presidential campaign should be suspended. If Friday's debate does not take place 46%, of Americans say that would be bad for America.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:35:01 PM by Brendan » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 10:40:31 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on September 24, 2008, 10:24:23 PM

If Friday's debate does not take place 46%, of Americans say that would be bad for America.

LOL REALLY?  Bad for America?

gellar
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 10:47:55 PM »

Heh.  Yeah - apparently.  They must be thinking "America needs to see these two debate!" because ~50% think that cancelling the debate would have no effect on either campaign.  21% think it'd be good for McCain.  16% think it'd be good for Obama.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 10:53:25 PM »

All I know is that for any poll or survey I ever see, if Bad for America is an option, I am totally checking it.  Hell, I may even write it in if I get the chance.

gellar
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 11:03:37 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on September 24, 2008, 10:24:23 PM

Initial survey results show that people have seen through the ruse.

Key findings:
A majority of Americans say the debate should be held. Just 10% say the debate should be postponed. A sizable percentage of Americans, 36%, think the focus of the debate should be modified to focus more on the economy. 3 of 4 Americans say the presidential campaign should continue. Just 14% say the presidential campaign should be suspended. If Friday's debate does not take place 46%, of Americans say that would be bad for America.

Ruse.    Heh

You can't be thoughtful or non-partisan.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 11:13:44 PM »

McCain's a pussy, apparently...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:13:55 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on September 24, 2008, 11:03:37 PM

Ruse.    Heh

You can't be thoughtful or non-partisan.

I don't think it's an issue of partisanship to be able see through this obvious political maneuvering. Last thing these negotiations need is having the candidates bring the campaign crap into the mix and thus make the whole thing even more of a media circus.

It's obvious that any candidate who would do this (regardless of party) is simply thinking of turning this into a photo-op with the eventual campaign commercial about how he was the one who "provided leadership".  This is just another example of a politician trying to turn some crisis into a way to grandstand.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 24, 2008, 10:53:25 PM

All I know is that for any poll or survey I ever see, if Bad for America is an option, I am totally checking it.  Hell, I may even write it in if I get the chance.

"I'm looking for the head of 'teh gellar' household.  Sir, do you prefer Valvoline or Castrol for your motor oil?"

"Bad for America!"
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 12:48:28 AM »

That does it. I'm not voting in this election. I'm just writing "Bad for America" across the whole ballot and submitting that.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »

Of course McCain doesn't want to debate right now.  He'll get his ass handed to him.  The context of Obama's dialog will go something like this.

"I've said a number of times that I don't think Senator McCain doesn't care.  It's that he just doesn't get it.  That was never more evident last week when he claimed the fundamentals of the economy were strong during the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression.  The next day, he was trying to talk about how bad the problem is without offering any real solutions.  He doesn't have a plan because he doesn't know.  His financial plan was written by a man whose bill greatly contributed to this problem, who called this a "mental recession" and said we were a nation of whiners.  His economic plan is more of the same from George Bush.  Big tax cuts to the super-rich and nothing for the middle class.

No wonder he doesn't know.  He doesn't know how many houses he owns.  Well, Senator, I know.  I know you own 9 houses and 13 cars, so no wonder you think the economy is strong.  However, for those of us who don't own 9 houses and 13 cars, this economy is not strong.  With gas prices at over $4 a barrel, health care costs spiraling out of control...yadda yadda yadda..."

Slam dunk...game over.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
joeyjazz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 01:18:09 PM »

If gas was $4 a barrel we'd be doing pretty good. slywink

Anyway, this was posted over at OO and is pretty awesome.  McCain has made a powerful enemy in David Letterman.  icon_lol
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »

Quote from: joeyjazz on September 25, 2008, 01:18:09 PM

Anyway, this was posted over at OO and is pretty awesome.  McCain has made a powerful enemy in David Letterman.  icon_lol

The timeline from yesterday doesn't make the McCain camp look particularly competent - he found time to meet with Lady Lynn de Rothschild even after Obama had called him privately that morning to discuss a joint statement.  This, after his campaign claimed that he was "meeting with economic advisers and talking to leaders in Congress throughout the day prior to calling Senator Obama."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: