http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 03:41:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterboard Obama!  (Read 2181 times)
Jaddison
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2008, 04:22:17 PM »

Not some wack job shouting at a rally but actually posted on the Sacramento County Republican Party website

http://www.sacbee.com/812/story/1314854.html

The hits just keep on coming.  We, as a country, have not progressed as far as we might like to think.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »

Oh and I love the direct pro-torture nature of that ad as well, classy.  To be a Republican these days apparently direct support of torture is a party plank
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:39:10 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on October 15, 2008, 04:22:17 PM

The hits just keep on coming.  We, as a country, have not progressed as far as we might like to think.
I love quotes like this.

We, as a country, for the first time in our history have a black man running as one of the major candidates for President.
We, as a country, for the first time in our history are very likely to elect that black man into the highest office one can attain in our country.

But you don't hear that much do you? Instead, you hear junk like, "we are not as progressed as we might like to think" because some idiot county chairman is being an idiot.

No doubt there's still a lot of progress to be made, but this should be a time of celebration. Look at the 50 some million or whatever people who are going to vote for the first time for a black candidate, rather than the 1 idiot county chairman who thought he was being clever with stupid slogans.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 12:05:24 AM »

I think that is just a little disingenuous of you Cheeba.  I know from your participation in other election threads that you know this is not an isolated incident. 

What you say is true however at least part of my observation is that it is easy to think we have "come a long way" because we have a black man running for president but perhaps we have not come as far as we think.

I still remember reading this book about Bosnia Love Thy Neighbor: A Story of War by Peter Maass and how far they thought they had come.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 12:19:08 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 15, 2008, 09:39:10 PM

I love quotes like this.

We, as a country, for the first time in our history have a black man running as one of the major candidates for President.
We, as a country, for the first time in our history are very likely to elect that black man into the highest office one can attain in our country.

But you don't hear that much do you? Instead, you hear junk like, "we are not as progressed as we might like to think" because some idiot county chairman is being an idiot.

No doubt there's still a lot of progress to be made, but this should be a time of celebration. Look at the 50 some million or whatever people who are going to vote for the first time for a black candidate, rather than the 1 idiot county chairman who thought he was being clever with stupid slogans.

When you want to vote for a man who you disagree with on so many issues simply because he's black, you're as guilty of making this election about race as someone who makes idiotic comments.  You just do it in a different way.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 03:11:08 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on October 16, 2008, 12:19:08 AM

When you want to vote for a man who you disagree with on so many issues simply because he's black, you're as guilty of making this election about race as someone who makes idiotic comments.  You just do it in a different way.
Except that's not the only reason I'm voting for him.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:57:11 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 15, 2008, 09:39:10 PM

I love quotes like this.

"We, as a country, have not progressed as far as we might like to think."

How are these two statements different?

Ale
WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 02:01:51 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 16, 2008, 03:11:08 AM

Quote from: pr0ner on October 16, 2008, 12:19:08 AM

Except that's not the only reason I'm voting for him.

But it is still a reason, and that's pathetic.

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 03:46:58 PM »

So sayeth Cheeba over on OO:

I have an idea but I am unwilling to commit at this stage

As I've said before, I think having a black man become President could be potentially huge for race relations in America. It could (and perhaps should) give us the moral authority to finally end the institutionalized racism of Affirmative Action, and perhaps it would even begin breaking down the culture of victimization which has infected our urban areas. I think that cultural change is impossible for McCain.

However, I've never voted for a democrat before and I don't know if I could flip the switch for bigger government, taxes, wealth distribution, all that icky lib'rul stuff. So I've been thinking long and hard (that's what she said) about whether or not the potential positive cultural change is worth the potential icky lib'rul stuff.

I don't know.

cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on October 16, 2008, 04:57:11 AM

How are these two statements different?
I think his view is more pessimistic, glass half empty, while mine is more pessimistic, half-full.

Quote from: WalkingFumble on October 16, 2008, 02:01:51 PM

But it is still a reason, and that's pathetic.
Why?

Quote from: pr0ner on October 16, 2008, 03:46:58 PM

Bah, the forums are different and should be kept that way. I'd offer the same reasoning here (which you called sound reasoning albeit lame, btw), but I'd still rather the 2 forums not intersect.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 04:34:15 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on October 16, 2008, 12:05:24 AM

I think that is just a little disingenuous of you Cheeba.  I know from your participation in other election threads that you know this is not an isolated incident. 
Not isolated, no. Fringe, yes. You're looking at the loonies, who are easily and often very quickly repudiated. You are not looking at the tens upon tens of millions of people who are going to vote for a black man for the first time in their lives.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 16, 2008, 04:32:15 PM

Bah, the forums are different and should be kept that way. I'd offer the same reasoning here (which you called sound reasoning albeit lame, btw), but I'd still rather the 2 forums not intersect.

Uh, no.  You say something one place, it's fair game someplace else.

And sound reasoning or not, it's still lame.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 05:40:32 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 16, 2008, 04:32:15 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on October 16, 2008, 03:46:58 PM

So sayeth cheeba right here on GamingTrend:

Quote from: cheeba
This is actually why I'm very strongly considering voting for Obama, even though I lean conservative. It would be nice to show the country and the world that we have indeed come "that far." Perhaps then we'd have the moral authority needed to rid the country of institutionalized racism like Affirmative Action.

This is why I become very skeptical when cheeba claims to have all sorts of progressive beliefs.  He's willing to vote for Barack Obama, not because he's concerned about disasterous consequences of the last eight years or because he agrees with Obama's policies, but because he views the prospect of an Obama victory as a club he can use to beat down the horrible "institutionalized racism" of Affirmative Action.

The overt, spittle-flecked racism spewing out of McCain supporters on an almost daily basis, however, doesn't seem to strike him as a very big deal.

-Autistic Angel
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 05:41:39 PM »

The fringe must not be so fringe in the Republican party right now since the Virginia GOP flier out depicts Obama's face and the caption over it "America must look evil in the eye and never flinch".  I am guessing they are going to claim that it means Obama will not look evil int he eye unflinchingly but the real message is pretty clear.

I think it is a mistake to think this is all "fringe" behavior at this point.

I have to say Cheeba, that if you are afraid to vote for Obama because he will bring "big government" what the hell has the last 8 years been?  Do you really think a McCain/Palin administration would be any different than the last 8 years?  As for taxes, something has to give, we can't keep borrowing forever.  At least tax and spend means paying for things up front instead of borrowing our way to oblivion
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 06:05:19 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 16, 2008, 05:40:32 PM

So sayeth cheeba right here on GamingTrend:
Leave it to my forum stalker, lol.
This is why I become very skeptical when cheeba claims to have all sorts of progressive beliefs.  He's willing to vote for Barack Obama, not because he's concerned about disasterous consequences of the last eight years or because he agrees with Obama's policies, but because he views the prospect of an Obama victory as a club he can use to beat down the horrible "institutionalized racism" of Affirmative Action.
Wow, you're skeptical of me, who'd have thunk it? And you are right to be! It's not like there are other socially liberal fiscally conservative people out there, after all. /sarcasm
The overt, spittle-flecked racism spewing out of McCain supporters on an almost daily basis, however, doesn't seem to strike him as a very big deal.
It isn't a very big deal to me as they're fringe lunatics or so dumb as to not even be worth my attention. Just like the racism from the Democratic Vice President candidate is not a big deal to me. Just like the race-baiting from Democratic congressmen isn't a big deal to me. Just like Jesse Jackson's anti-semitic views aren't a big deal to me.

There are idiots on both sides of the aisle. Some are overt, others are not. All of them should be condemned, but few of them are worthy of our time to even bother doing so.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 06:18:26 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on October 16, 2008, 05:41:39 PM

The fringe must not be so fringe in the Republican party right now since the Virginia GOP flier out depicts Obama's face and the caption over it "America must look evil in the eye and never flinch".
And I just got a democratic flyer in the mail yesterday for a Michigan supreme court justice, from Michigan's democratic party. It says, "(Republican Candidate for Supreme Court): Loyal to Big Insurance, DEADLY FOR MICHIGAN SENIORS."

It evens out.
I think it is a mistake to think this is all "fringe" behavior at this point.
Why? Obama beat out Hillary in several of the "racist" southern states. Obama has a pretty nice lead right now. If this is more than fringe it sure isn't hurting Obama much.
I have to say Cheeba, that if you are afraid to vote for Obama because he will bring "big government" what the hell has the last 8 years been?
I detest the huge increase in government over the last 8 years and I think that is by far Bush's weakest point. It's also one of the main reasons I'm willing to vote for the democrats this time around.
As for taxes, something has to give, we can't keep borrowing forever.  At least tax and spend means paying for things up front instead of borrowing our way to oblivion
I'm fiscally conservative. I likes me some small government and I don't think government is there to solve our problems. You're right, we can't keep borrowing. We need to stop spending. Obama has so many programs I don't see how he can pay for them without huge taxes. But I'm willing to give him a shot.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 06:38:04 PM »

The Democratic flyer you quote does not imply anything other than trying to raise a connection between "Big" Healthcare and that it is bad/deadly for seniors.  It is not saying the guy is evil and should be feared, it doesn't say he is so bad so evil he should be waterboarded.....are you intentionally being obtuse here?  (which now means you must throw me in the hole for a month) Or do you honestly belive those are equivalent statements/fliers?
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 06:54:50 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on October 16, 2008, 06:38:04 PM

The Democratic flyer you quote does not imply anything other than trying to raise a connection between "Big" Healthcare and that it is bad/deadly for seniors.
It is an overt attempt at scaring the bejeezus out of senior citizens. It is not appealing to their intellect or their wisdom or their reasoning. They want them scared.
It is not saying the guy is evil and should be feared
Um, yes it does. He is DEADLY after all. Should you not fear that which is deadly?
it doesn't say he is so bad so evil he should be waterboarded
No, just that if he's in the Supreme Court they will die.
.....are you intentionally being obtuse here?
Ugh, are there really so few people here who can make an argument without the insults? I've not insulted you, have I? I've not called your arguments dumb or obtuse or anything, right? How about you treat me with the same respect I'm treating you?
Or do you honestly belive those are equivalent statements/fliers?
They're equivalent. They both play to the worst of humanity.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 07:10:01 PM »

Apparently my reference to The Shawshank Redemption wasn't enough to show I was not all that serious about "obtuse", my apologies.

I think hyperbole has become almost routine in most political "ads".  In opinion many of the Obama things are over the line even though the "line" is hard to define.  For one i don't think the "deadly" ad would incite people to violence while the Obama=Osama waterboard him or a call to "stand up unflinchingly" to the evil of Obama are  going to talk to a certain demographic in a way that very well might incite violence.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »

Quote from: cheeba
There are idiots on both sides of the aisle. Some are overt, others are not.

And, again, some are.

Quote from: Associated Press
RIVERSIDE, Calif. - A San Bernardino County Republican group has distributed a newsletter picturing Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama on a $10 bill adorned with a watermelon, ribs and a bucket of fried chicken.

Linking Obama to demeaning racist stereotypes drew denunciations from various GOP officials after the illustration appeared in the October newsletter of the Chaffey Community Republican Women, Federated, the Riverside Press-Enterprise reported Thursday.

Remember when MoveOn.org ran an ad in the New York Times against General Petraeus, and the Republicans demanded that the United States congress actually put on a big political spectacle to condemn them?  How many more examples of this "fringe" pattern do you suppose it'll take before those same Republicans show an equivalent degree of outrage against their own supporters?

-Autistic Angel
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »

"Diane Fedele, president of the group, said she had no racist intent."

I think I am safe in saying SHE is being intentionally obtuse   eek
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 11:31:13 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 16, 2008, 10:00:20 PM

How many more examples of this "fringe" pattern do you suppose it'll take before those same Republicans show an equivalent degree of outrage against their own supporters?
As you quoted, it was denounced by the California Republican party, and this group wasn't even directly tied to the Republican party. What more do you want? A stronger denouncement?

You don't see anyone here calling for a stronger denouncement of Jessie Jackson's anti-Semitic views do you? You just want to go after the Republicans yet again and blame them for the views of every idiot out there.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 05:02:02 PM »

Here are a couple of ridiculous things from Obama supporters, one of them from an Obama rally.   But im sure it must all be lies, as we know nothing like this could ever happen from the left, or at least one reading this board would get that impression.

http://cbs2.com/local/Sarah.Palin.mannequin.2.849299.html

I didnt know that something showing one hanging a current candidate for one of the two highest offices was appropriate, guess I was mistaken.

http://www.lookingattheleft.com/2008/10/festival-of-obama/

Go about half way down the page and see the wonderfully appropriate guillotine with the head of the sitting president and others on pikes.

And i thought the only people who did stuff like this were those evil republicans and their supporters.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on October 27, 2008, 05:02:02 PM

Stuff

Let me know when that is posted on DNC websites, DNC literature or DNC banners.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: