http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 06:15:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: War on Scientology?  (Read 5067 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »

A hacking group is aligning against the Church of Scientology - http://apcmag.com/7905/anonymous_threatens_to_dismantle_church_of_scientology_via_internet

In addition, it looks like the gay/lesbian community is going to march on the Church of Scientology in London:
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/460/1201116421097ig4.jpg

With the recent massive leaks of internal documents and videos, it seems that people have had it with Scientology.  While my personal bend is that I'd like to see a religion based on smoke/mirrors/works of obvious fiction go away, I ask you this:

Do we have the right?

Our country is founded on the principals that anyone can worship whatever or whomever they want, as long as you aren't hurting anyone.  In this case, you could make arguments that the CoS has hurt people through brainwashing, but there are also true believers that state flatly that they were saved by the church.  Any way you slice it, I think the War on Scientology has begun in earnest. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:47:44 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 24, 2008, 01:40:31 PM

Do we have the right?

Yeah.

As long as it's not the government doing the protesting...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »

don't worry, their midichlorines will save them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:09:44 PM »

Ron, the war has not begun yet.

Go play Syndicate Wars. THAT is a war on Scientology. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 03:42:14 PM »

Are Scientologists the new Mormons?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 05:01:30 PM »

I happened to catch Jammie Kennedy (Yes the actor, but he is also the grandson of L Ron Hubbard) on a radio show last week and this guy absolutely HATES scientology. The things he had to say about it are incredible. Apparently the rest of his family won't talk about the "church" because of threats and actual assaults that have been made against them by the church, but he didn't seem to have a problem talking about it.

He is convinced that the church is nothing more than a pyramid type scheme that is designed to beneift those at the top. The guy talked for about 40 minutes straight on the subject and seemed pretty knowladgable. Even if only half the things he said are true it's pretty scary.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »

Anything I can say on the subject of Scientology is pretty much bullshit, because I don't "understand" the religion. Are there any scientologists in the gaming trend community, who would care to speak up on the subject? I'm really quite curious to hear you talk about the church and the allegations and persecution that you're facing.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 10:10:14 PM »

Quote from: CSL on January 24, 2008, 03:42:14 PM

Nope. Mormons pervert Christianity. Scientology is just lunacy.  The former is far worse than the latter.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:29:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 24, 2008, 10:10:14 PM

Nope. Mormons pervert Christianity. Scientology is just lunacy.  The former is far worse than the latter.

I guess you answered my question.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 04:38:29 AM »

Yeah, Christianity is definitely worse than lunacy. You can at least treat lunacy.

PSN ID: EduardoX
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 07:26:49 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on January 25, 2008, 04:38:29 AM

Yeah, Christianity is definitely worse than lunacy. You can at least treat lunacy.

!

Because I can,
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 09:37:23 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 25, 2008, 07:26:49 AM

!

This is the second time I've seen this posted-what is it that I'm not getting here?  I suppose if rich people want to throw their money away on some cult then who are we to want them to stop?  Just as long as they don't start stealing our children.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 01:31:40 PM »

Ron, this will not end well.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 05:03:27 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on January 25, 2008, 09:37:23 AM

!

This is the second time I've seen this posted-what is it that I'm not getting here?  I suppose if rich people want to throw their money away on some cult then who are we to want them to stop?  Just as long as they don't start stealing our children.

Put together by the brillant ATB, and copied by the talentless and unoriginal CK, it represents 'OH, SNAP!' in picture form.

Magnificent!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 09:35:21 PM »

i have a hard time believing in any religion written by a bad b grade sci fi author, especially one involving aliens in airplanes dropping bombs on our volcanoes.  do you have to bat shit crazy to believe in this stuff?  no, but it helps.  hitting the crack pipe before the sermon would probably work too.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 25, 2008, 09:35:21 PM

i have a hard time believing in any religion written by a bad b grade sci fi author, especially one involving aliens in airplanes dropping bombs on our volcanoes.  do you have to bat shit crazy to believe in this stuff?  no, but it helps.  hitting the crack pipe before the sermon would probably work too.

Actually, taken logically, most religions are batshit crazy.  This one just happens to be more modern and therefore easier to scrutinize.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 10:33:19 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 25, 2008, 09:59:30 PM

Quote from: Caine on January 25, 2008, 09:35:21 PM

Actually, taken logically, most religions are batshit crazy.  This one just happens to be more modern and therefore easier to scrutinize.

I'll take the notion of God over aliens. I mean, sure older religions are a wee bit batshit but still...
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »

sure, taken in context, a man claiming to be born of a virgin mother, fathered by the one true god, and able to perform miracles does sound kooky.  as does a man claiming to get insight from a burning bush, or a sacred text only he can see or touch. 

it all asks the question, do we believe in these ideas because we truly believe the stories happened as they were written, or do we believe because we want to believe there's something greater than we can imagine, just beyond our ability to grasp?

of course, if the bible said that jesus had flown around in a stealth fighter and used nano technology to turn water to wine and feed the masses with a cloned fish, we would have probably laughed him out of town.  scientology goes over most people's suspension of disbelief.  L ron H should have made the lore less high tech and more generalized. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 11:35:14 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 25, 2008, 10:49:03 PM

it all asks the question, do we believe in these ideas because we truly believe the stories happened as they were written, or do we believe because we want to believe there's something greater than we can imagine, just beyond our ability to grasp?

That's really the crux of the matter, isn't it?  Is religion just a crutch to deal with our own sense of mortality?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 12:29:15 AM »

Quote from: ATB on January 25, 2008, 05:03:27 PM

Quote from: Canuck on January 25, 2008, 09:37:23 AM

!

Put together by the brillant ATB, and copied by the talentless and unoriginal CK, it represents 'OH, SNAP!' in picture form.

Magnificent!

It's a little too big!  Here I fixed up for you-hereby insuring your and Ceekay's mutual destruction smile

Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 05:46:15 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 24, 2008, 01:40:31 PM

Our country is founded on the principals that anyone can worship whatever or whomever they want, as long as you aren't hurting anyone.  In this case, you could make arguments that the CoS has hurt people through brainwashing,

Which would have no impact whatsoever of the vast majority of Scientologists to practice their beliefs, any more than Catholics are going to be prevented from going to church because of the priest abuse scandals.

Any way you slice it, I think the War on Scientology has begun in earnest. 

Because of an anonymous youtube video and an extremely well color-coordinated parade of people with bad teeth?

Isn't that just a little local TV news-ish?

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 06:09:17 PM »

Having never actually met a scientologist I'm not sure how true this is, but I have heard that it's hard to find one (who isn't a celebrity) that doesn't look like your average Trekkie who hasn't gotten laid in about 6 years.

These are people who are desperately trying to fit in and find a cause they can believe in and Scientology offers them that in Spades.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 06:24:11 PM »

I've never seen any indication of Scientologists around where I live. Yet after reading this thread, yesterday going to work I saw a parked yellow van with the words, "Ministries of the Church of Scientology, Greater Kansas City" printed on both sides.

I've since gone into hiding.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 07:35:17 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 26, 2008, 06:09:17 PM

Having never actually met a scientologist I'm not sure how true this is, but I have heard that it's hard to find one (who isn't a celebrity) that doesn't look like your average Trekkie who hasn't gotten laid in about 6 years.

Got any tips on recognizing a baptist or methodist?  I want to make sure my field guide's up to date.

These are people who are desperately trying to fit in and find a cause they can believe in and Scientology offers them that in Spades.

Remind me how that's any different from any other religious organization?
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 10:02:44 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on January 26, 2008, 07:35:17 PM

Got any tips on recognizing a baptist or methodist?  I want to make sure my field guide's up to date.
Here ya go.  Baptist on the right, Methodist on the left.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2008, 02:42:43 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on January 26, 2008, 07:35:17 PM

Remind me how that's any different from any other religious organization?

No I don't have any tips.  icon_evil , Except for the usual fish stickers and such on the back of peoples cars. I personally prefer the fish sticker with the legs coming out of it.

The point was I don't know if that stereotype is true, but it seems reasonable. It's a "religion" based on the writings of a bad science fiction writer. Just imagine if George Lucas decided to make his own religion, I would bet that enough people would buy into it that we would have herds of dorks running around with Jedi Robes, fake swords, bad personal hygiene and Gamorian Guard outfits. Oh wait we already have that at various trade shows and movie premiers.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2008, 04:34:03 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 27, 2008, 02:42:43 PM

The point was I don't know if that stereotype is true, but it seems reasonable. It's a "religion" based on the writings of a bad science fiction writer.

Sure - he certainly was a bad writer.  I think the difference, however, is that we're (essentially) contemporaneous with the founding of it, whereas if we'd been born two thousand years ago, some number of us would be saying "What's the deal with that guy who claims to walk on water?" 

I mean, look, in a couple hundred years, the memes about scientology will evolve and shift, and while it's possible that future generations may think that Hubbard was a con artist, time softens people's rememberances.  There's plenty of evidence that Joseph Smith was a con artist, but the church he founded has millions of adherents. 

I just think it's pointless to single out their particular brand of delusion and not the others.  Scientologists aren't the only ones who'll believe crazy shit because of their faith.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 04:25:16 PM »

Man check this out

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,972865-1,00.html

That article is 16+ years old...
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 11:56:39 PM »

Quote from: olaf on January 28, 2008, 04:25:16 PM

Man check this out

Quote from: Brendan
...time softens people's rememberances.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 03:44:55 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on January 27, 2008, 04:34:03 PM

Quote from: Scraper on January 27, 2008, 02:42:43 PM

The point was I don't know if that stereotype is true, but it seems reasonable. It's a "religion" based on the writings of a bad science fiction writer.

Sure - he certainly was a bad writer.  I think the difference, however, is that we're (essentially) contemporaneous with the founding of it, whereas if we'd been born two thousand years ago, some number of us would be saying "What's the deal with that guy who claims to walk on water?" 

I mean, look, in a couple hundred years, the memes about scientology will evolve and shift, and while it's possible that future generations may think that Hubbard was a con artist, time softens people's rememberances.  There's plenty of evidence that Joseph Smith was a con artist, but the church he founded has millions of adherents. 

I just think it's pointless to single out their particular brand of delusion and not the others.  Scientologists aren't the only ones who'll believe crazy shit because of their faith.

I mostly agree with you. But the biggest difference that I see with Scientology is that they require one to spend LARGE amounts of money to participate in their "religion", unlike Christianity, Judeism, etc, one can choose to donate to the church but they don't have to pay money to be a part of it. One can simply pick up a copy of the bible and read it and start attending church to become a christian.

THe other major difference is that those who leave the "church" are often highly critisized and often times publicly humiliated by scientologists. Their behavior is much more cult like.

The final difference I would point out is that many of the "churches" teachings are secret and can only be revealed to certain people. Which is the biggest pointer of BS.

For all of these reasons Scientology should not be given a free pass to act like a religion.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 04:05:09 PM »

Christianity doesn`t cost a cent, just your soul. slywink

The first thing you pay is in guilt. (Catholicism first and foremost).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2008, 04:11:34 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on January 29, 2008, 03:44:55 PM

I mostly agree with you. But the biggest difference that I see with Scientology is that they require one to spend LARGE amounts of money to participate in their "religion", unlike Christianity, Judeism, etc, one can choose to donate to the church but they don't have to pay money to be a part of it. One can simply pick up a copy of the bible and read it and start attending church to become a christian.

Tithing's been a part of religious culture for a very long time - famously, many mormons pay 10% of their gross(!) income to the church.  Back when Christianity was being established, tithes were often required by law - in England, the practice effectively lasted until the 70s, while in other countries (Germany, Austria, etc) it's still in force today.  There are evangelical megachurches which apparently require adherents to sign membership "covenants" stating that they're willing to tithe a consistent percentage of their income.  One doesn't see churches lobbying for that practice of taxation to end, particularly when some Christian churches explicitly teach that not tithing can jeopardize your soul.  You might say "Go to another church", but that ignores that people are taught that particular faiths/denominations are the only way to eternal life, which effectively means that those people either pay up or, y'know, go to hell.

In the end, all of these groups are just trying to perpetuate themselves indefinitely through whatever means they see necessary.  Scientology has some ridiculous and distasteful practices, but in the context of history, there's not much difference with any of the other sects.  Islam actually comes out ahead in this comparison - one of the seven pillars of the religion is to give 2.5% to charity.  (Of course, as you might expect, it's mandatory in many Islamic states).
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2008, 06:38:28 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on January 29, 2008, 04:11:34 PM

Tithing's been a part of religious culture for a very long time - famously, many mormons pay 10% of their gross(!) income to the church.  Back when Christianity was being established, tithes were often required by law - in England, the practice effectively lasted until the 70s, while in other countries (Germany, Austria, etc) it's still in force today.  There are evangelical megachurches which apparently require adherents to sign membership "covenants" stating that they're willing to tithe a consistent percentage of their income.  One doesn't see churches lobbying for that practice of taxation to end, particularly when some Christian churches explicitly teach that not tithing can jeopardize your soul.  You might say "Go to another church", but that ignores that people are taught that particular faiths/denominations are the only way to eternal life, which effectively means that those people either pay up or, y'know, go to hell.

In the end, all of these groups are just trying to perpetuate themselves indefinitely through whatever means they see necessary.  Scientology has some ridiculous and distasteful practices, but in the context of history, there's not much difference with any of the other sects.  Islam actually comes out ahead in this comparison - one of the seven pillars of the religion is to give 2.5% to charity.  (Of course, as you might expect, it's mandatory in many Islamic states).

I'm not really debating Tithing. What I am syaing is wrong is the withholding of information unless you pay a certain amount to the "church". At least with Christianity one can easily pick up a bible and learn most of what they need to know (along with the testaments, etc.) In Scientology they activily keep things secret from members of the "church" until such time as they have paid a certain amount of money and have reached a certain level within the church (see pyramid scheme and brainwashing).

I'm not going to argue with you that other religions don't have their own faults and insane beliefs. Because they certainly do, it's just that Scientology seems to take it to a whole new level.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2008, 06:40:13 PM »

Sure, as far as I know, there's only one book to buy with most of the other religions. I haven't progressed to the upper echelons of any of them, however.  slywink
unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2008, 07:05:08 PM »

Scientology sounds an aweful lot like the "lodge" system.  Maybe they've been taken over by TEH ILLUMINATI!!!!111!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 05:02:59 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on January 29, 2008, 06:40:13 PM

Sure, as far as I know, there's only one book to buy with most of the other religions. I haven't progressed to the upper echelons of any of them, however.  slywink

well, for Christianity you just steal it from a hotel, so no real buying there either.

Because I can,
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2008, 02:43:39 PM »

Quote from: olaf on January 28, 2008, 04:25:16 PM

Man check this out

Wow.  The magazine form of that article was used by my grade 11 world religions teacher (14-ish years ago) to teach us about cults.  We also learned about David Koresh & Waco as well as the 'Anthill Kids'.

Quote from: Scraper on January 29, 2008, 06:38:28 PM

Quote from: Brendan on January 29, 2008, 04:11:34 PM

I'm not really debating Tithing. What I am syaing is wrong is the withholding of information unless you pay a certain amount to the "church". At least with Christianity one can easily pick up a bible and learn most of what they need to know (along with the testaments, etc.) In Scientology they activily keep things secret from members of the "church" until such time as they have paid a certain amount of money and have reached a certain level within the church (see pyramid scheme and brainwashing).

I'm not going to argue with you that other religions don't have their own faults and insane beliefs. Because they certainly do, it's just that Scientology seems to take it to a whole new level.

Isn't 'Dianetics' Scientology's version of a Bible?  They were selling those on the street in from of the CoS Toronto headquarters to anyone who was interested. 
unbreakable
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 05:02:13 PM »

Quote from: Ragnarok on February 03, 2008, 02:43:39 PM

Isn't 'Dianetics' Scientology's version of a Bible?  They were selling those on the street in from of the CoS Toronto headquarters to anyone who was interested. 

I think Dianetics is their "primer" for Scientology.

One of my coworkers mentioned she called a commercial to get a free copy of the book.  This was over ten years ago, and she still gets some sort of mail from them every day.  That's a lot of dead trees.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 05:14:26 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on February 14, 2008, 05:02:13 PM

Quote from: Ragnarok on February 03, 2008, 02:43:39 PM

I think Dianetics is their "primer" for Scientology.

One of my coworkers mentioned she called a commercial to get a free copy of the book.  This was over ten years ago, and she still gets some sort of mail from them every day.  That's a lot of dead trees.

fracking tree killers!!!  cut down some trees and crucify them!

Because I can,
unbreakable
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 03:06:44 AM »

Wow... this is weird:  Scientology Given Direct Access To eBay Database.

Guess I can't get my Thetans counted without going through "official" channels.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: