http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 08:46:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The police want your text messages. All of them.  (Read 227 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2013, 08:16:46 PM »

SciAm

House subcommittee chairman Jim Sensenbrenner will preside over today's hearing to discuss updating a 1986 privacy law.
AT&T, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, and other wireless providers would be required to capture and store Americans' confidential text messages, according to a proposal that will be presented to a congressional panel today.
The law enforcement proposal would require wireless providers to record and store customers' SMS messages -- a controversial idea akin to requiring them to surreptitiously record audio of their customers' phone calls -- in case police decide to obtain them at some point in the future.

"Billions of texts are sent every day, and some surely contain key evidence about criminal activity," Richard Littlehale from the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation will tell Congress, according to a copy  of his prepared remarks. "In some cases, this means that critical evidence is lost. Text messaging often plays a big role in investigations related to domestic violence, stalking, menacing, drug trafficking, and weapons trafficking."
They had asked that an SMS retention requirement be glued onto any new law designed to update the 1986 Electronic Communications Privacy Act for the cloud computing era -- a move that would complicate debate over such a measure and erode support for it among civil libertarians and the technology firms lobbying for a rewrite.

Given how rubber-stamp-y the courts seem to be about making the carriers fork over call records, I don't really see it being a substantial barrier for them to get text messages if they get their wish.  I'm not really happy about this one.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:19:10 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 20, 2013, 08:16:46 PM

I'm not really happy about this one.

Innocent people don't have anything to hide.  paranoid

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 08:31:49 PM »

I really dislike the  emergency clause in this bill.   With that, you can bypass the warrant initially.   But one you know what your suspect is doing,  getting a warrant will be a heck of a lot easier, right?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »

I guess  Obama meant the US populace when he said he'd have an  open and transparent administration?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »

Why, yes, you should absolutely blame the president for the bill modifications that's being considered in a House subcommittee chaired by a Republican.  How about you put up the Jump to Conclusions mat and actually try following along with the actual story?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »

They can have all of my text messages. Oh wait, I've never sent one.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 07:33:05 AM »

Meh - we've had that for years here in Denmark - All it has resulted in is that now the police want it repealed since they simply dont have the capacity to store them anymore. I can't recall a single case of it being used.

Specifically they were to be used in case of terrorist cases but that was never the case.

A new one
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: