http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 05:00:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The North Korean threat  (Read 1329 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:00:54 PM »

So, I read today that a japeneese newspaper claims that North Korea will launch a missile towads Hawai within 16 days...sometime between 4th and 8th of july.

translated newpaper article here: http://jp.dk/udland/asien/article1728785.ece

I for one worry at things like that. North Korea seems like a nation hellbent on getting destroyed by a united rest of the world at some point, seemingly ignorant of what it can and cannot do. unless they posses some sort of supersoldier, I fail to see what this will all accomplish, other than eventual military agression by the US and others

Anyone else thinks this is bad news?

A new one
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:09:46 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 18, 2009, 12:00:54 PM

So, I read today that a japeneese newspaper claims that North Korea will launch a missile towads Hawai within 16 days...sometime between 4th and 8th of july.

translated newpaper article here: http://jp.dk/udland/asien/article1728785.ece

Translated from Japanese to Dutch?

I for one worry at things like that. North Korea seems like a nation hellbent on getting destroyed by a united rest of the world at some point, seemingly ignorant of what it can and cannot do. unless they posses some sort of supersoldier, I fail to see what this will all accomplish, other than eventual military agression by the US and others

Anyone else thinks this is bad news?

Not bad news.  If NK were to launch a missle towards Hawaii within 16 days, I really doubt it would it's target, seeing as we know it's coming.

Just a little hiccup.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 01:19:23 PM »

sorry, added the wrong link - the article can be seen here: http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=da&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjp.dk%2Fudland%2Fasien%2Farticle1728785.ece&sl=da&tl=en&history_state0=

Anyways, not so much the rocket launch itself, but the idea of it, and the fact that they *may* be willing to do this, just to prove themselves superior. In my mind, this can only end badly for them, and result in some sort of war

edit: Google is rather funny in its translations at times - on the left, you can see an article with the headline "Obama did fly on tv" :-D

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »

It's just one of their standard threats. They couldn't hit Hawaii even if they wanted to, since their long-distance rockets can't reach that far (yet).
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:48:08 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 18, 2009, 01:46:39 PM

It's just one of their standard threats. They couldn't hit Hawaii even if they wanted to, since their long-distance rockets can't reach that far (yet).

Maybe, but I won't be visiting Hawaii any time in the next 16 days either.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 03:30:48 PM »

it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled some stupid stunt on July 4th since they did their nuclear test on Memorial Day.  I think it's time we call their bluff- there's no way the entire country can be this bat shit crazy.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 05:25:52 PM »

Why? What could they possibly hope to gain from doing that?
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »

An honest question here, if we bombed the hell out of North Korea and completely crippled them, would anyone even care? (Other than for humanitarian reasons) What do they have to offer to other countries to get them to fight back against us? There's no oil, no diamonds, no industry, nothing. Would Russia or China really care? My guess is if they did preten to care, they would just be using it as an excuse to fight us.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »

Pretty sure everyone in South Korea would care a great deal. Any attack on North Korea would put South Korea in a great deal of pain.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 08:56:21 PM »

China would likely get tons of refugees as well.

Special thanks to the person who explained this to me on either OO or GG years ago.  I forgot your name, but I remembered this point!

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on June 18, 2009, 08:32:35 PM

Pretty sure everyone in South Korea would care a great deal. Any attack on North Korea would put South Korea in a great deal of pain.

Yes, NK's entire existence revolves around invading SK. Of course we could wipe NK off the map, but not before they cause their civilized neighbors a world of hurt.

It would be nice to be rid of them once and for all though, wouldn't it?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »

okay, I dont know how to put this without causing offense, but...come on!!!

Its the regime of one of the most totalitarian controlled people in the world thats doing this, not the normal citizens. They live in fear and are information controlled like you wouldnt believe it.

A friend of mine was there a two years ago..or rather, he was allowed in on one of their special guided tours, with guides who smiled, and answered almost every question with what was an obvious lie about their country, because they had been taught to do so... Its a strange country, but one where the idea of Big Brother is very real and part of everyones normal way of living.

So, please....dont talk about killing off an entire nation, when its merely its insane leaders that acts like this

Thats the equivalent of wiping out East Berlin before the wall fell...

A new one
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 12:35:23 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 18, 2009, 09:54:54 PM

okay, I dont know how to put this without causing offense, but...come on!!!

Its the regime of one of the most totalitarian controlled people in the world thats doing this, not the normal citizens. They live in fear and are information controlled like you wouldnt believe it.

A friend of mine was there a two years ago..or rather, he was allowed in on one of their special guided tours, with guides who smiled, and answered almost every question with what was an obvious lie about their country, because they had been taught to do so... Its a strange country, but one where the idea of Big Brother is very real and part of everyones normal way of living.

So, please....dont talk about killing off an entire nation, when its merely its insane leaders that acts like this

Thats the equivalent of wiping out East Berlin before the wall fell...

That's why I said beyond the obvious humanitarian reasons. My question is more of a hypothetical, if we use nukes on North Korea will that alone cause China/Russia to declare war and plunge us into WW3 or could they care less about NK. Obviously China wouldn't want a US controlled state on their border, but are there any other political reasons?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 02:23:14 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 18, 2009, 09:54:54 PM

The suggestion that genocide will solve everything was offered ironrodically, at least from me. Brinksmanship has worked well for NK. But Dear Leader surely must understand that a flagrant act of war would be national suicide.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 09:10:46 AM »

yeah, honestly, I have no clue why anyone *would* act like this. I wonder if megalomania can affect an entire government?

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »

So, any North Korean nukes being destroyed by the US Starwars defense system yet?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 10:06:31 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 08, 2009, 08:25:02 PM

So, any North Korean nukes being destroyed by the US Starwars defense system yet?

I could tell you, but the I'd have to kill you.

Oh, wait....

Yes, the system is fully operational. My ninja death squads are on the way to your location. 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: