http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:35:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Long Ride of Sheriff Arpaio - no Federal charges, but it's re-election time  (Read 511 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2012, 04:50:56 PM »

a look back at Arpaio's career:

Joe Arpaio, the 80-year-old lawman who brands himself "America's toughest sheriff," is smiling like a delighted gnome. Nineteen floors above the blazing Arizona desert, the Phoenix sprawl ripples in the heat as Arpaio cues up the Rolling Stones to welcome a reporter "from that marijuana magazine."

The guided tour of Arpaio's legend has officially begun. Here, next to his desk, is the hand-painted sign of draconian rules for Tent City, the infamous jail he set up 20 years ago, in which some 2,000 inmates live under canvas tarps in the desert, forced to wear pink underwear beneath their black-and-white-striped uniforms while cracking rocks in the stifling heat. HARD LABOR, the sign reads. NO GIRLIE MAGAZINES!

From behind his desk, Arpaio pulls out a stack of news clips about himself, dozens of them, featuring the gruff, no-frills enforcer of Maricopa County, whose officers regularly round up illegal immigrants in late-night raids, his 60th made only a few days ago, at a local furniture store. "Everything I did, all over the world," he crows, flipping through the stories. "You can see this week: national magazine of Russia... BBC... Some people call me a publicity hound."

"My people said, 'You're stupid to do an interview with that magazine,'" says Arpaio, talking about Rolling Stone, "but hey, controversy – well, it hasn't hurt me in 50 years."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:49:32 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 04:21:54 AM »

looks like the ride isn't ending:

The federal government has closed a criminal probe into Arizona lawman Joe Arpaio, who styles himself as "America's toughest sheriff," and no charges will be filed, the U.S. Attorney's Office said on Friday.

The Maricopa County sheriff and his deputies have been under investigation by the U.S. Justice Department since 2008.

Last December, the department said he and his office violated U.S. civil rights laws by engaging in racial profiling of Latinos and making unlawful arrests in their bid to crack down on illegal immigrants.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »

I do agree with the sentiment that it seems like Phoenix PD will pull you over for "Driving while brown".  That said, on the other side of the coin are the illegals yelling about Joe targeting them.  Well...you are breaking the law to be here, he's law enforcement....seems like he's doing his job to me.  It's a nice catch 22.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 12:48:29 PM »

toughest election coming for Arpie?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/13/joe-arpaio-election_n_1880148.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Arizona lawman Joe Arpaio is gearing up for what he expects will be the toughest of his five re-election campaigns.

He is facing a determined effort from immigration rights activists to push him out. A ruling may come any day in a lawsuit that alleges his department violated the civil rights of Hispanics. A second lawsuit filed by the Justice Department is making its way through the courts.

And in TV ads, he doesn't mention the signature issue that helped bring him to national prominence a sign, people in both parties say, that illegal immigration is losing its potency.

"Issues in campaigns are like flowers: They bloom, go away and then they bloom again," GOP lobbyist Stan Barnes said. "The bloom is off illegal immigration."

Arpaio, who retains a massive $4.2 million campaign treasury, remains the favorite in the November election. In an interview, he was defiant and confident as always, and disagreed that illegal immigration has lost its political punch.

"I get hundreds of people coming up to me and thanking me," said Arpaio, the sheriff in Maricopa County, the state's largest, which includes much of the Phoenix metropolitan area.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: