http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 02:32:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 2012 Presidential Election: Obama Wins!!!!!!  (Read 12975 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: November 07, 2012, 05:54:58 AM »

What an ass whipping.  It's good to be done with the whole thing. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 07, 2012, 06:25:52 AM »

Thank god it's over. I wouldn't want to be Ecologic when reality sets in.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: November 07, 2012, 06:28:45 AM »

I'm glad that Romney lost more than I am happy that Obama won. I do hope that Romney's condescending smirk will never darken my TV screen again. His political career should be over now.

All in all, it was a pretty good night for liberalism. Dems retain the white house and senate, gay marriage advances, marijuana advances. Makes me optimistic about the next 4 years.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 07, 2012, 06:31:17 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 07, 2012, 05:40:31 AM

Quote from: gellar on November 07, 2012, 04:17:04 AM

That was an ass kicking.

I wouldn't call Obama being the first president to win reelection with a smaller number of electoral votes than he earned the first time to an "ass kicking".

There's almost no way any candidate in the rest of my lifetime accomplishes what Obama did in 2008. That does not at all take away from the fact that this was an epic ass kicking. The Republican party flipped TWO states back from 2008, one just barely. This election, particularly the demographics from exit polls show that the party needs to really reevaluate it's approach.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 07, 2012, 06:32:39 AM »

Also, really great concession by Mr Romney.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 07, 2012, 07:33:56 AM »

Congratulations, United States of America - Seemed like a good election, and the right candidate was chosen.

A new one
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 07, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 07, 2012, 06:31:17 AM

There's almost no way any candidate in the rest of my lifetime accomplishes what Obama did in 2008. That does not at all take away from the fact that this was an epic ass kicking. The Republican party flipped TWO states back from 2008, one just barely. This election, particularly the demographics from exit polls show that the party needs to really reevaluate it's approach.

So did the last one.  The new approach they selected was to move even further to the right, express open hostility towards African Americans, Latinos, and women, and devote the majority of their energy towards making up idiotic controversies about birth certificates, FEMA concentration camps, death panels, and so forth.

The second most important tenant of the modern Conservative movement is that the modern Conservative movement is never wrong.  It cannot fail; it can only *be* failed.  The "reevaluation" you're going to see over the next few days will not be about why the right-wing ideology relentlessly championed by Mitt Romney proved to be so toxic in a general election -- it will come in the form of all the Republican friends and family you have suddenly discovering, for the very first time, that they never supported Romney at all.  He lost, they'll say, because he wasn't Conservative enough.

Never underestimate the Republicans' ability to rewrite their own history.  Case in point:

Quote from: pr0ner on November 07, 2012, 05:40:31 AM

Quote from: gellar on November 07, 2012, 04:17:04 AM

That was an ass kicking.

I wouldn't call Obama being the first president to win reelection with a smaller number of electoral votes than he earned the first time to an "ass kicking".

That's weird.  Back in 2004 when President George W. Bush won reelection with a much, much narrower margin in a single swing state, Ohio, Conservatives declared he the American people had awarded him a mandate, earning him tremendous political capital to spend on privatizing Social Security.   Never mind that he hadn't campaigned on that idea at all: it was a massive ass-kicking that proved the mainstream popularity of all Conservative ideals.

Of course, Republicans also refused to acknowledge the nationwide shellacking they took in the 2008 race either.  At least they're consistent once in a while.

-Autistic Angel
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:56:41 AM by Autistic Angel » Logged
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 07, 2012, 01:15:46 PM »

How about that election, Eco?  

I think Milquetoast was dead the minute that 47% video came out.  It confirmed to enough people what many speculated - that he simply didn't give a shit about you unless you had a big pocketbook.  While that may be true of all candidates, he wore that on his sleeve and people got tired of it.  That the Republicans couldn't win back the Presidency with the unemployment rate hovering at 8% is very, very telling. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:17:52 PM by Blackadar » Logged

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 07, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »

so, status quo? GOP in the house o' reps, Dems in the senate and big house?

Alright, let's keep this nice and orderly. Everyone fleeing to Canada get in the line on the right, all those who want to taste the salty bitterness of the tears off of Eco's face get in the left line.

No Hep, there's no line for that... Put away the bit & bridle.   

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 07, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »

Well, looks like I'm not a prophet. slywink
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: November 07, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on November 07, 2012, 01:15:46 PM

I think Milquetoast was dead the minute that 47% video came out.  It confirmed to enough people what many speculated - that he simply didn't give a shit about you unless you had a big pocketbook.  While that may be true of all candidates, he wore that on his sleeve and people got tired of it.  That the Republicans couldn't win back the Presidency with the unemployment rate hovering at 8% is very, very telling. 

I agree, but the same thing happened with Bush/Kerry and the unpopularity of Bush. Just shows how fractured this country is.

So does this mean we have 4 more years of a do nothing congress and a president who can't mend the gap?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 07, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »

Any election which doesn't end up with an irishman having power, I'm good with it.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 07, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 07, 2012, 06:28:45 AM

I'm glad that Romney lost more than I am happy that Obama won. I do hope that Romney's condescending smirk will never darken my TV screen again. His political career should be over now.

All in all, it was a pretty good night for liberalism. Dems retain the white house and senate, gay marriage advances, marijuana advances. Makes me optimistic about the next 4 years.

Same here. The man is such a douchebag and I'm glad many people saw thru his act.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 07, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 07, 2012, 01:50:14 PM

Quote from: Blackadar on November 07, 2012, 01:15:46 PM

I agree, but the same thing happened with Bush/Kerry and the unpopularity of Bush. Just shows how fractured this country is.

So does this mean we have 4 more years of a do nothing congress and a president who can't mend the gap?

One thing will be different, instead of Republicans goal being "Don't do anything but make Obama a one term President", their goal will be "Don't do anything just because".
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 07, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »

I'm not going to say anything bad about Romney after he made such a gracious concession speech.  That was a class act.  I may disagree with him on almost all fronts, but at least he was a stand up guy when he realized he had lost.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:07:59 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 07, 2012, 03:25:23 PM »

No tears today.  Pretty bummed out and deeply concerned about the direction the country is headed.

I hope Obama can prove me wrong and right the ship.

The demographics of our nation are changing so rapidly that I don't have a lot of confidence that the Republican party can continue as they are. 

I'm also very concerned about an Obama that doesn't have to worry about being reelected. 😨

See you all in 4 years, or in the other gt forums smile, or maybe here if Obama goes nuts and spends us even more into a shithole.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 07, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 07, 2012, 05:54:58 AM

What an ass whipping.  It's good to be done with the whole thing. 

+1

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 07, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on November 07, 2012, 03:25:23 PM

I hope Obama can prove me wrong and right the ship.

You've made it pretty clear that short of dying in office, there's not much he can do to change your opinion.  You'll excuse me if I doubt the sincerity of this sentiment.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:50:58 PM by hepcat » Logged

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 07, 2012, 03:58:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 07, 2012, 03:06:24 PM

I'm not going to say anything bad about Romney after he made such a gracious concession speech.  That was a class act.  I may disagree with him on almost all fronts, but at least he was a stand up guy when he realized he had lost.

This.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 07, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »

Trump, on the other hand:

Let’s fight like hell and stop this great and disgusting injustice! The world is laughing at us.
This election is a total sham and a travesty. We are not a democracy!
Our nation is a once great nation divided!
Our country is now in serious and unprecedented trouble…like never before.
The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy.

- tweets from last night

Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 07, 2012, 04:10:48 PM »

I would hope that one consequence of this election would be that the insular bubble of right-wing media got popped a bit, and that there was some accountability for how overwhelmingly incorrect they were in their predictions and outlook. I wish consumers who relied exclusively on it would realize that they had been being fed what they wanted to hear rather than what was really happening, and that math kind of works. The polls were right. No unskewing necessary. Maybe the math is also right on things like climate change. Just maybe.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: November 07, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »

Anybody watch the Karl Rove meltdown last night after Fox called it for Obama? Comedy GOLD

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 07, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on November 07, 2012, 04:13:34 PM

Anybody watch the Karl Rove meltdown last night after Fox called it for Obama? Comedy GOLD

Please god tell me you have a link for that. I did catch Tucker Carlson desperately trying to blame the outcome on the White House making abortion an issue (This was around 9pm eastern, well before it was called). It was laughable.

This morning Fox Radio's spin was that immigrants are being duped by the Democrats to vote for them and that they should really be voting for Republicans since Republicans serve their interests better. Again completely laughable for everyone but the Fox Bots listening.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 07, 2012, 04:44:39 PM »

Karl Rove Melt's down

Decided to paste Deadspin instead of Perez Hilton

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 07, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »

Wow, these demographics are hugely telling.

The Republican Party, as it stands today, cannot win a national vote going forward.  Period.

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president#exit-polls
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 07, 2012, 05:00:14 PM »

Trump seems batshit crazy these days.  

I keep hearing the word "fractured" to describe our political and cultural landscape.  I think what people are really seeing is the impact of diversity on what used to be that mythical white silent majority.  That silent majority doesn't exist anymore...and I think that's what the Romney campaign was referring to when they mentioned they were counting on a wave of faith (rather than looking at the real polling data).  Republicans have always banked on that white majority during my lifetime, but it's just not there anymore...at least not outside the deep south, Texas, straight up to the Dakotas, and Arizona.  The republican leadership needs to come to grips with this reality, the reality that there's not a hive mind silent majority.  Their existing base can't carry elections.

If the republicans want to win in 4 years, they need to think outside their current mishmash of white conservatives, radical white tea party members, and the unfortunate republican leaning moderates that have to stand shoulder to shoulder with them.  They need to think big, and consider developing a candidate in the next 2 years that represents the diversity of their country, and not the lack of diversity of their party.  

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 07, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »

You think Trump is bad you should see Ted Nugent's twitter  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 07, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »

Ah, the Nug.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 07, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »

Obviously we disagree on most things Hep, but questioning my hope that Obama/our nation succeed is ridiculous.  I do hope he rights the ship. I don't think his policies are the answer, but if in fact they lead to lower unemployment (among other things) and a massive reduction in the debt than I'll be thrilled.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 07, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »

Lower unemployment will happen.  Lowering the debt will not, as economic recessions are not the time to pull money out of the government in addition to all the money pulled out of the private sector.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: November 07, 2012, 06:21:31 PM »

The debt, or the deficit? The latter is sure to fall as an improving economy delivers more tax dollars and costs fewer benefits.  And the fiscal cliff will impose some real spending cuts, whether negotiated or automatic from sequestration. Paying down the debt, otoh, would require a budget surplus, and that's not going to be possible in the next four years.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 07, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »

Hopefully he will reign in his asinine spending at the very least.

Wait, what am I even doing on this forum 😉

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 07, 2012, 06:56:42 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on November 07, 2012, 06:41:47 PM

Hopefully he will reign in his asinine spending at the very least.

Wait, what am I even doing on this forum 😉

We've been asking that question for a while now.

And what "asinine spending" are you referring to?  Every president has problems with that, but I'm hard pressed to find where Obama is any worse than Bush ever was.  Considering that Bush inherited a surplus, I would say Obama isn't as bad.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 07, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 07, 2012, 04:44:39 PM

Karl Rove Melt's down

Decided to paste Deadspin instead of Perez Hilton

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 07, 2012, 07:01:24 PM »

Show me the asinine part.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 07, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 07, 2012, 07:01:24 PM

d'uh.  Transportation, of course.  80 billion dollars to transport Obama around???

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 07, 2012, 07:53:16 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 07, 2012, 05:48:30 PM

Where has Chuck Norris been in all this? Or has he already succumbed to the 1,000 years of darkness?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 07, 2012, 08:24:56 PM »

Like I said earlier, no harsh words for Romney today.  However, this made me chuckle.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 07, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »

That is actually pretty clever.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 07, 2012, 10:07:22 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 07, 2012, 10:41:22 AM

The second most important tenant of the modern Conservative movement is that the modern Conservative movement is never wrong.  It cannot fail; it can only *be* failed.  The "reevaluation" you're going to see over the next few days will not be about why the right-wing ideology relentlessly championed by Mitt Romney proved to be so toxic in a general election -- it will come in the form of all the Republican friends and family you have suddenly discovering, for the very first time, that they never supported Romney at all.  He lost, they'll say, because he wasn't Conservative enough.

Rush Limbaugh spent at *least* forty-five minutes making this exact point on his show today.  Mitt Romney?  Nice guy, good family man, shrewd businessman, but if only he'd been more Conservative, spent more time calling the President a liberal, been less timid in his embrace of Conservative Truth, they could have overthrown Obama's regime of prejudice and hate.  

We're four years closer to transforming the country into a tyrannical socialist commune, said Rush, and it could have been reversed if only the Republicans would have engaged in a robust, happy, forthright presentation of Conservatism.

Limbaugh and my local right-wing talk show hosts also spent a good part of the day grousing about how unfair and unrepresentative the electoral college is, as though they weren't describing it as an example of the divine prescience of our founding fathers back when Bush lost the popular vote in 2000.

Quote from: hepcat on November 07, 2012, 03:06:24 PM

I'm not going to say anything bad about Romney after he made such a gracious concession speech.  That was a class act.  I may disagree with him on almost all fronts, but at least he was a stand up guy when he realized he had lost.

Mitt Romney's very first campaign ad of the general election centered on a clip of Barack Obama saying, "If we keep talking about the economy, we're going to lose."  Obama was directly quoting a John McCain staffer back in 2008 in order to rebut the remarks -- a nuance the ad conveniently left out.

Mitt Romney's final campaign ads centered on lies he made up about how Jeep was firing all their American workers and shipping the jobs overseas to China.  His claims were thoroughly debunked by the media, Chrysler, GM, and even the Republican governor of Ohio, but he just kept right on trying to scare people that their jobs were already gone.

Quote from: USA Today
"You got folks who work at a Jeep plant who have been calling their employers, worried, asking 'Is it true that our jobs are being shipped to China,'' Obama said at rally at the Franklin County Fairgrounds this morning. "The reason they are making these calls is because Gov. Romney ran an ad that says so. Except it's not true. Everybody knows it's not true. The car company themselves told Gov. Romney to knock it off."

The ad includes images of cars being crushed and a narrator saying Obama "sold Chrysler to Italians who are going to build Jeeps in China. Mitt Romney will fight for every American job." The Romney ad doesn't mention that Chrysler is retaining and expanding its North America Jeep operations, as it weighs breaking into China.

You cannot spend a full year acting like the worst scumbag this side of a Captain Planet villain and then transmute into a class act in a single speech.  Integrity doesn't work that way.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: