http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 09:37:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Supreme Court rules in favor of WBC funeral protests being protected speech  (Read 837 times)
brettmcd
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2011, 07:02:32 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_re_us/us_supreme_court_funeral_protests

This is one of those decisions that I hate that had to be made.   Part of me wishes that we could ban such disgusting things, but the larger part of me realizes that things like these being protected are one of the drawnbacks of a free society.

Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »

Quote from: brettmcd on March 02, 2011, 07:02:32 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_re_us/us_supreme_court_funeral_protests

This is one of those decisions that I hate that had to be made.   Part of me wishes that we could ban such disgusting things, but the larger part of me realizes that things like these being protected are one of the drawnbacks of a free society.

I agree........you have to except the assholes with the good I guess.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:59:12 PM »

Yeah. I guess now they have to rule that it's ok to beat them, and I'll be happy.  icon_wink
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on March 02, 2011, 07:23:00 PM

I agree........you have to except the assholes with the good I guess.

I think the ruling is that you actually can't 'except' the assholes...
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:27:14 PM »

except     accept
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:23:47 PM »

When these trash are inevitably gunned down for tormenting a dead soldier's family at his funeral, I hope none of their children are hit.   The adult funeral protesters deserve whatever happens to them.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »

There's enough people against WBC that you could probably arrange to have their "church" and possibly their houses picketed (depends on legality) nonstop. As long as it's legal, nothing they can do about it. Make their lives miserable. You have to fight fire with fire.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:29:11 PM »

While I loathe what they stand for, be it money-grubbing inciters looking for a payout or actual hate-filled, intolerant people, I believe in a strong First Amendment.  I applaud the result of the case, if not the reasons that it had to be decided.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »

The first amendment does not give you the right to be a troll in real life.

I can't wait for the next time these assholes come to Saint Louis.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »

Quote from: Larraque on March 04, 2011, 08:08:16 PM

Sadly, yes...yes it does.

thankfully, yes....yes it does.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 08:52:51 PM »

Quote from: Larraque on March 04, 2011, 08:08:16 PM

I can't wait for the next time these assholes come to Saint Louis.

You got a 2nd amendment solution?

Ale
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 09:25:52 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 02, 2011, 11:29:11 PM

While I loathe what they stand for, be it money-grubbing inciters looking for a payout or actual hate-filled, intolerant people, I believe in a strong First Amendment.  I applaud the result of the case, if not the reasons that it had to be decided.

Agreed.  I'd be outraged if it wasn't ruled this way.
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 11:57:36 PM »

This is absurd.   We live in a country where protesters at political conventions or in the path of the Presidential motorcade wind up under armed guard in razor wire "free speech zones"  and the Supreme Court has no problem with it, or with rationalizing a buffer zone exception to the First Amendment right to protest at Abortion clinics.   There's no shortage of First Amendment abridgements and outright abuses, but you guys choose to draw the Constitutional line at the idea that a few misanthropes can't be prevented from desecrating a Soldier's funeral.

And spare me the sanctimony about the soldier dying for their right to piss on his grave and give his grieving mother nightmares for the rest of her life.   
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 12:46:25 AM »

They were kept 1000 feet away and followed other limitations placed on them by the police.    This ruling didnt say there could be no limits at all, it was a narrow ruling on this specific case.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 12:56:50 AM »

Quote from: Flatlander on March 05, 2011, 11:57:36 PM

This is absurd.   We live in a country where protesters at political conventions or in the path of the Presidential motorcade wind up under armed guard in razor wire "free speech zones"  and the Supreme Court has no problem with it, or with rationalizing a buffer zone exception to the First Amendment right to protest at Abortion clinics.   There's no shortage of First Amendment abridgements and outright abuses, but you guys choose to draw the Constitutional line at the idea that a few misanthropes can't be prevented from desecrating a Soldier's funeral.

And spare me the sanctimony about the soldier dying for their right to piss on his grave and give his grieving mother nightmares for the rest of her life.    

There's a difference between establishing a safety zone for a politician (especially the president) and preventing free speech altogether.

In any case, we can't just pick and choose who should be allowed the right of free speech.  It's absurd to think that would end well. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:24:25 AM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: