http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 08:58:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sheriff Joe institutes vegetarian meals for inmates, bread for the unpatriotic  (Read 1199 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2013, 02:01:43 PM »

Get sent to jail in Arizona’s Maricopa County and you’ll be experiencing some serious life changes. And for those who eat meat, that includes going vegetarian.

County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is no stranger to controversy. Over the years, he has made seemingly countless numbers of national headlines. As recently as August, the five-time elected sheriff was in the news after announcing that his deputies would be required to carry firearms at all times, even while off duty.

Arpaio’s latest move is a plan to transition all of his inmates in the county’s eight jails to a vegetarian diet. On the surface, it might sound like a health-conscious move from the 81-year-old lawman. But Arpaio said the change is all about saving the county money.

As part of an effort to publicize the move, Arpaio donned a chef's uniform during a local TV appearance.

“Little by little, this is the first step to go vegetarian,” he told Phoenix affiliate Fox 10. “There will be no more meat on the menu, we’ll save $100,000.”

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/sheriff-joe-arpaio-institutes-cost-saving--vegetarian-meals-for-inmates-220538735.html

Wish more Jails would do this. Having worked at several county jails in Florida it's amazing how good the inmates have it courtesy of your tax dollar. No wonder this guy keeps getting re-elected.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:47:12 PM by corruptrelic » Logged

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 02:37:13 PM »

This is definitely cruel and unusual punishment.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 03:06:42 PM »

how long until the first case of a inmate's girlfriend smuggling bacon into the jail? 

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 02:10:18 AM »

A plant-based diet is both cheaper and healthier. If you take it to extremes (yeah vegans, I'm talking about you) you need to worry about protein and various micronutrients that Sheriff Joe isn't going to be interested in. But they'll be fine if they're getting cheese, eggs, fish, etc.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:57:18 AM »

I have heard there is a lot of meat eating going on in prison that doesn't occur during mealtime.

ninja
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 05:06:42 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on September 28, 2013, 02:10:18 AM

A plant-based diet is both cheaper and healthier. If you take it to extremes (yeah vegans, I'm talking about you) you need to worry about protein and various micronutrients that Sheriff Joe isn't going to be interested in. But they'll be fine if they're getting cheese, eggs, fish, etc.

Last time I checked fish was not part of a vegetarian diet.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »

Check harder.

-Autistic Angel
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 05:23:30 PM »

Technically that's "piscevegetarian" but I doubt Sheriff Joe is splitting hairs. Nor do I think he means for inmates to eat a diet rich in fresh foods, as that won't save much money, if any. He probably has bread and water in mind.

brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 29, 2013, 05:19:31 PM

Check harder.

-Autistic Angel

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vegetarian

a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.

What you are describing is not what a vegetarian would eat AA.   Not sure what point you were trying to make.

And Arpaio iis quoted saying no meat will be on the menu, and fish is most certainly a meat.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »

Jesus, the American prison system is so fucked up that I feel despair just reading about it, let alone actually watching footage from them or hearing accounts from people who've been imprisoned in them. For your country's sake, I sure hope the saying "you can judge a society by how well it treats its prisoners" is wrong, but there's nothing to indicate it is. No wonder so few people ever get out of the criminal lifestyle in America once they've been to prison. Any dignity they ever had has been taken away from them. What motivation do they have to turn their lives around to serve the country that did this to them?

Anyone who thinks losing one's freedom isn't real punishment should be put in forced solitude for a couple of years just to feel what it's like. Fucking assholes.

I'm not talking about the "vegetarian food" thing alone here. I'm talking about the whole system and how it treats humans worse than farm animals.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:07:37 PM by TiLT » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »

Begging the question. "Common knowledge"  is rarely based in well-researched fact, so it need not apply.

Imagine the uproar if meat was forced on inmates - the vegetarian groups would be up-in-arms over rights and freedoms. When a system takes responsibility for the care and feeding of prisoners, they *take* responsibility and should be held accountable. If I'm not mistaken, these "prisons" are "correctional facilities". How exactly are they working to decrease the likelihood of repeat offenders?

Perhaps adding some respect and dignity to the process would "cut costs" instead of turning your population into inmates for life.

(shrug) My 2c.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 07:45:54 PM »

Imagine that. Purge and I agreeing on something. All it took was the systematic dehumanization of a country's criminals.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »

INTERNATIONAL HIGH-FIVE! biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 08:10:33 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 29, 2013, 05:19:31 PM

Check harder.

-Autistic Angel

Not sure what we are supposed to get from your link, but eating fish is definitely not vegetarian.

Ale
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »

It is very easy to get enough protein, as long as you are getting enough calories, even as a vegan.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:27:45 PM by Alefroth » Logged
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 08:17:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 08, 2013, 07:09:03 PM

If I'm not mistaken, these "prisons" are "correctional facilities". How exactly are they working to decrease the likelihood of repeat offenders?

I thought they dropped the pretense of rehabilitation decades ago.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 04:46:45 PM »

Maricopa County, Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio has issued a bold threat to any unpatriotic inmates in his jails.

According to CBS5, Arpaio is threatening to put any inmates who deface or vandalize the American flag on a diet of only bread and water. Arpaio told CBS5 10 inmates are already on the bread-and-water diet.

Each cell is getting a sticker of an American flag. Any inmate who vandalizes the flag will be punished with the restricted diet.

In keeping with the patriotic theme, Arpaio has ordered that the playing of God Bless America and the National Anthem be done daily in every jail facility over the public address system and for all the inmates, regardless of national origin, to hear and sing-a-long.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/11/joe-arpaio-inmates_n_4254344.html

How long until someone sues?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on November 22, 2013, 04:46:45 PM

Maricopa County, Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio has issued a bold threat to any unpatriotic inmates in his jails.

According to CBS5, Arpaio is threatening to put any inmates who deface or vandalize the American flag on a diet of only bread and water. Arpaio told CBS5 10 inmates are already on the bread-and-water diet.

Each cell is getting a sticker of an American flag. Any inmate who vandalizes the flag will be punished with the restricted diet.

In keeping with the patriotic theme, Arpaio has ordered that the playing of God Bless America and the National Anthem be done daily in every jail facility over the public address system and for all the inmates, regardless of national origin, to hear and sing-a-long.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/11/joe-arpaio-inmates_n_4254344.html

How long until someone sues?

What exactly is he trying to accomplish here? The more I hear about this guy the more convinced I am that he would be much happier running a prison in North Korea or China.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »

He embodies everything that's wrong with the far right to the point that even the far right wants nothing to do with him.   At this point he's just a sad, pathetic politician who'd give oral to a donkey on live tv if it would get him reelected.  Thankfully, those who believe in the crap he spouts are being weeded out of the gene pool thanks to Darwinism. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: