http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 04:06:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sarah Palin demands...DEMANDS...impeachment. Can still see Russia from porch.  (Read 1272 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2014, 04:43:12 PM »

And she's serious.

Well, as serious as you can be when you're simply trying to get another reality show.  At least Boehner understands that her political savvy is equal to her knowledge of rocket science.

I have to admit, her continued (albeit greatly reduced) clout in the GOP may turn out to be a godsend for the Dems come election time.  The only ones taking her seriously these days are those that the majority no longer take seriously.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »

Have no idea how she is still around.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 07:14:00 PM »

I imagine that it actually hurts her brain when she tries to think. Either that or it's just numb all the time and it doesn't realize that it should be hurting.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:55:55 PM »

I wonder if she has any significant supporters outside the tea party, or has she managed to alienate even that group to a large extent?  It certainly doesn't help your claims of political aspirations when you immediately quit your job as a governor in order to star on a tv show, for christ's sake.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:48:54 PM »

Eventually she's going to have to get herself elected to something if she wants to keep the limelight. As it is, she's in the same category as the Kardassians -- pointless celebrities who are easily ignored.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:00:56 PM »

On Tuesday night, Palin made an appearance on Fox News during which she mocked Boehner’s planned lawsuit.

“You don’t bring a lawsuit to a gunfight and there’s no room for lawyers on our front lines,” she said.

What exactly is she suggesting? That someone needs to bring a gun? Someone lock this woman up already.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:58:39 AM »

I think you guys might be underestimating her fame. When I worked with 99% conservative, they all loved her. I still see the occasional thing on Facebook quoting her. I think she's still pretty popular in Jesusland.

I still don't understand the grounds for impeachment. The immigration problem that is no worse than before, but is getting more media attention? I don't understand how the president doesn't respect the Constitution because of the whole healthcare thing either. I got in a FB argument with a fundamentalist Christian friend of mine (alone with all his friends) that swear up and down that he is destroying this country. Just because the Supreme Court says that the current healthcare solution is constitutional, that doesn't mean it is etc...

I just don't understand politics anymore. I think I would rather just put my head in the sand.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:00:42 AM by Lee » Logged
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 02:42:33 AM »

Quote from: Lee on July 10, 2014, 12:58:39 AM

I think you guys might be underestimating her fame. When I worked with 99% conservative, they all loved her. I still see the occasional thing on Facebook quoting her. I think she's still pretty popular in Jesusland.

Yeah, but not so much outside of Jesusland according to a new poll: "Fifty-four percent of voters in a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal/Annenberg poll say they would prefer the former Alaska governor and 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee to be less outspoken in political debates.

"The voters who are over Palin come from across the political spectrum: Nearly two-thirds of Democrats, a majority of independents and nearly 4 out of 10 Republicans in the poll say they’ve heard enough."

So it's not just us.

Quote from: Lee on July 10, 2014, 12:58:39 AM

I don't understand how the president doesn't respect the Constitution because of the whole healthcare thing either.

The President takes an oath to "faithfully execute" the laws that Congress passes, but Obama has taken it upon himself to fudge certain deadlines and other details without the consent of Congress. I don't know enough about constitutional law to judge just how flexible faithfully executing should be, but the objections have some merit. Calling a law "Obamacare" doesn't mean that Obama gets to define it as he goes along.

Impeachable? I doubt it, but impeachment is at least as much about political power as it is about legal merits.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 02:47:05 AM »

But isn't that every president? Seems like they all, left and right, do whatever they can to get what they want done with little regard for congress or anyone else.

Anyway, if SCOTUS says it's constitutional, it is, case closed, no?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 04:02:30 AM »

Quote from: Lee on July 10, 2014, 02:47:05 AM

But isn't that every president? Seems like they all, left and right, do whatever they can to get what they want done with little regard for congress or anyone else.

Anyway, if SCOTUS says it's constitutional, it is, case closed, no?

The law is constitutional, yes. No question about that after SCOTUS rules. The manner in which it's being implemented stretches boundaries. Had the law been enforced strictly as written it likely would have crashed and burned the healthcare system, which is exactly what the Republicans were hoping would happen.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »

I think the problem is that he's stuck with a do nothing congress and he's forced to do whatever he can through executive orders.  I believe his use of the latter is what's testing the bounds, but WTF else is he supposed to do?  I mean I don't agree with many of his policies but if we had a congress that actually did it's job...

Heard an interesting report on NPR about Obama's approval rating is in the toilet and one of the commentators said 'We are only 18 months into his second term, and he's already a lame duck and no one is expecting him to be able to do anything.'

Fab.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »

I think Obama's made some mistakes (drone use, the NSA troubles to name two), but I also think he's been facing a GOP controlled house that has lost touch with its actual purpose and is now existing almost solely to bring down Obama instead of providing a measured and considered counterpoint to his presidency.

Boehner thinks our president is circumnavigating the normal avenues of politics through executive actions?

Reagan used executive orders 381 times during his presidency.  Bush Jr. issued 291.  Clinton 364.  Obama?

Boehner is performing a dog and pony show to save his seat.  Or at the very least, keep himself in the political arena when he does lose it.  If I didn't think Obama was actual better than Boehner, I would say Obama should countersue the House for the 52.4 million dollars of tax payer's money that was spent trying to repeal Obamacare 54 damn times.  But Obama understands that you go through the political process for crap like this, not through judicial means.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:11:35 PM by hepcat » Logged

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on July 10, 2014, 02:42:33 AM

The President takes an oath to "faithfully execute" the laws that Congress passes, but Obama has taken it upon himself to fudge certain deadlines and other details without the consent of Congress. I don't know enough about constitutional law to judge just how flexible faithfully executing should be, but the objections have some merit. Calling a law "Obamacare" doesn't mean that Obama gets to define it as he goes along.

Impeachable? I doubt it, but impeachment is at least as much about political power as it is about legal merits.

The thing is that the laws Congress writes have all sorts of wiggle room in them. Congress writes laws that lack specificity, and then delegates to the Executive Branch the power to issue rules to fill in the gaps and adjust things to accommodate reality. This is a necessity -- otherwise it would take Congressional action to alter any program that needs small tweaks.

The President has pushed this to the edge a few times regarding the ACA, but ultimately it's all built on a foundation of precedent from previous presidents. He hasn't changed the law, he's adjusted deadlines, which has happened numerous times with previous laws. He hasn't single-handedly eliminated any provision of the law, or created entire new parts by executive order, both of which would be way out of bounds.

Ironically, on immigration he often gets accused of lawlessness when in fact he has enforced immigration law more vigorously than any previous president.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 02:08:26 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 10, 2014, 11:52:01 AM

Heard an interesting report on NPR about Obama's approval rating is in the toilet and one of the commentators said 'We are only 18 months into his second term, and he's already a lame duck and no one is expecting him to be able to do anything.'

His approval rating isn't great -- 42% approve, 54% disapprove according to Gallup. But that's not even the lowest rating he's had (he dipped into the high 30s in 2011). As much as I don't want it to happen, a Republican Senate would give him an opposition Congress to parry against. The GOP would pass a lot of nasty stuff, and Obama would benefit from the resultant vetoes.

The current situation is bad for him: the House won't consider Senate bills, and the Senate won't consider House bills. So nothing is happening. Which means that the entire government is just sort of listing about. It's hard to look like a leader without the ability to either achieve success or stand strong against an enemy able to pass bills.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 04:41:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 10, 2014, 01:09:04 PM

I think Obama's made some mistakes (drone use, the NSA troubles to name two)
Prosecuting medical marijuana users and growers (especially annoying when done in states that have legalized it).

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on July 10, 2014, 04:41:12 PM

Quote from: hepcat on July 10, 2014, 01:09:04 PM

I think Obama's made some mistakes (drone use, the NSA troubles to name two)
Prosecuting medical marijuana users and growers (especially annoying when done in states that have legalized it).

Rediculous.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 08:04:12 PM »

I think the problem is that he's stuck with a do nothing congress and he's forced to do whatever he can through executive orders.  I believe his use of the latter is what's testing the bounds, but WTF else is he supposed to do?  I mean I don't agree with many of his policies but if we had a congress that actually did it's job...

Fab.

A lot of good it would do them to do their job, he will just ignore any of that work he doesn't like. Seems pointless to enact laws that will only be enforced as much as the POTUS desires. Easier to let him do what he will and have no doubt the result is on him rather than to rubber stamp what he wants and potentially share in the blame for the results. Anything that works out well he will take all the credit for anyway so no upside.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 08:05:19 PM »

And that's different from every other politician ... how?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 08:06:23 PM »

Quote from: Fireball on July 10, 2014, 01:51:49 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on July 10, 2014, 02:42:33 AM

The thing is that the laws Congress writes have all sorts of wiggle room in them. Congress writes laws that lack specificity, and then delegates to the Executive Branch the power to issue rules to fill in the gaps and adjust things to accommodate reality. This is a necessity -- otherwise it would take Congressional action to alter any program that needs small tweaks.

The President has pushed this to the edge a few times regarding the ACA, but ultimately it's all built on a foundation of precedent from previous presidents. He hasn't changed the law, he's adjusted deadlines, which has happened numerous times with previous laws. He hasn't single-handedly eliminated any provision of the law, or created entire new parts by executive order, both of which would be way out of bounds.

Ironically, on immigration he often gets accused of lawlessness when in fact he has enforced immigration law more vigorously than any previous president.

Can't imagine how you can say he vigorously enforces immigration law with a straight face.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »

Quote from: Rip on July 10, 2014, 08:06:23 PM

Quote from: Fireball on July 10, 2014, 01:51:49 PM

Can't imagine how you can say he vigorously enforces immigration law with a straight face.

Lies, damned lies, and Obama’s deportation statistics
Somehow, the Obama administration is simultaneously responsible for the highest rate of deportation in 20 years and a 26 percent drop in deportation. What is going on here? As it turns out, changes in immigration law, terminology and classification are causing this confusion.

Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 05:05:30 PM »

Quote from: Rip on July 10, 2014, 08:06:23 PM

Yeah that's just crazy

But deportations of unauthorized immigrants continue at record levels. In 2011 some 392,000 immigrants were removed from the U.S., according to the Department of Homeland Security. Among them, 48% were deported for breaking U.S. laws, such as drug trafficking, driving under the influence and entering the country illegally.

The Obama Administration has deported more immigrants annually than the George W. Bush Administration.

LOL  from Moliere's link:

This confusion enables political spin, too. If you want to portray Obama as weak on enforcement, use the removal numbers, which, compared to his predecessors, are lower. If you want to make Obama look tougher on enforcement, combine the return and removal numbers (like George W. Bush apparently did)

So, if you use a different measure than W. did Obama's numbers are worse!   retard
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »

I think the problem is that he's stuck with a do nothing congress and he's forced to do whatever he can through executive orders.  I believe his use of the latter is what's testing the bounds, but WTF else is he supposed to do?  I mean I don't agree with many of his policies but if we had a congress that actually did it's job...
Yeah, remember that he spent most of his first term trying to compromise with Republicans, often offering unilateral concessions that made Democrats blanch. Republicans responded like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. If you land on your back enough times you eventually wise up.

That said, Obama has a notoriously imperious governing style and plays the political schmoozing game poorly when he plays it at all, so I don't think Washington gridlock is completely one-sided.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 07:43:31 AM »

Very crafty manipulation of the numbers.

http://www.zebrafactcheck.com/politifact-deportation-deception/

Doesn't take a lot of digging to see that the answer isn't so simple and that the double talk is strong.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 01:02:34 AM »

...from both sides, as pointed out earlier.  I recommend reading the article Moliere posted a link to.  It covers how both sides are right and wrong at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:05:14 AM by hepcat » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »

A friend posted this on FB this morning...I thought it was hilarious.

After being introduced as the "most influential woman in the history of the republican party" (no, really.  Stop laughing.), Sarah Palin proceeded to have a completely incoherent, rambling bout of talking point diarrhea on stage, leading many to wonder how drunk she was.  The hilarity can be found here.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »

It's frightening how close this woman came to being one step away from the presidency. Can you even imagine her as president?
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 05:03:47 PM »

She really shouldn't improvise her responses.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 18, 2014, 05:03:47 PM

Are you sure that wasn't a Saturday Night Live sketch?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 11:09:23 PM »

I wonder if she had a stroke or got botox or a facelift or something. Her face looks half-frozen.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 12:33:55 AM »

This is still one of my favorite things.  Fox news panel slamming Palin's show from a years ago while off air.  The best is the commentator who said she's heard it described as "like The Sound of Music without the Nazis, without the romance and without the music.".

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 12:55:54 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on August 18, 2014, 05:03:47 PM

I'm not so sure that's improvised. I think she thinks she's being folksy and smart. And sadly her audience probably thinks so too.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 12:09:08 PM »

Sarah Palin: I hate that Tina Fey made me look like an idiot

I'm pretty sure you managed to do just fine on that front without Fey's help.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »

This forum should be renamed to "Echo Chamber"
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 05:44:06 PM »

Quote from: Rip on August 21, 2014, 05:38:00 PM

If only someone with a different viewpoint would speak up without going over the edge...
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 05:44:28 PM »

Because you find Sarah Palin erudite? Show me a video of her talking without rambling catchphrases.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 05:55:02 PM »

It should be called "Rip's Retreat" considering you only show up here after getting your behind handed to you at OO and need to vent.   Tongue

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »

And here I was thinking that mocking Sarah Palin was the one thing folks on both sides of the aisle could agree on.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »

Actually nothing to do with Palin. I said that because when I check here I seldom post because the only R&P posts I see are someone mocking a conservative followed by a handful of other patting him on the back or trying to outdo whatever conservative attack was launched. Can't recall when the last time I saw an intelligent discussion here with people differing on the position in a civil manner and discussing nuances.

Just means I check a lot but post little. Just decrying that GT is becoming a place I don't get much out of unless the is some console game I want to discuss. Which is to say not very often.

For example we have a very good back and forth discussion about Ferguson going on at OO, while here there has been an anti-religion thread and an anti-Palin one. Not much to discuss there.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:06:43 PM by Rip » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »

Quote from: Rip on August 21, 2014, 08:04:30 PM

For example we have a very good back and forth discussion about Ferguson going on at OO, while here there has been an anti-religion thread and an anti-Palin one. Not much to discuss there.

Wow, OO sounds totally awesome.  It's amazing you're able to tear yourself away to inform other forums that they're so disappointing.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 09:26:22 PM »

Quote from: Rip on August 21, 2014, 08:04:30 PM

Actually nothing to do with Palin. I said that because when I check here I seldom post because the only R&P posts I see are someone mocking a conservative followed by a handful of other patting him on the back or trying to outdo whatever conservative attack was launched. Can't recall when the last time I saw an intelligent discussion here with people differing on the position in a civil manner and discussing nuances.

I'd love to discuss politics here with civility and nuance.  But when the only ones who bring a conservative viewpoint are scorched earthers like Zeke and Eco (and occasionally you), I'm not even sure how that's possible.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: