http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 08:12:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russia goes to war with Georgia  (Read 2172 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 08, 2008, 04:35:08 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/08/08/georgia.ossetia/index.html
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/georgia-russia-has-invaded-and-we-are-under-attack-13934899.html?a=13934899

Guess he wasn't kidding.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:52:30 PM »

Can't they all just get along?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:16:48 PM »

What's interesting about this is that involves the same area that was featured in the 1st Ghost Recon game. This is not good news at all, as Ossetia is a real political hotbed involving Russian, Georgian, NATO and fundamentalist islamic interests.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:19:15 PM by kronovan » Logged
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:12:07 PM »

They also talked about Georgia in the first Splinter Cell game.  I guess this means we're all going to have to suffer though ANOTHER godawful Tom Clancy novel! Damn you all to hell!!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 11:03:46 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 08, 2008, 10:12:07 PM

They also talked about Georgia in the first Splinter Cell game.  I guess this means we're all going to have to suffer though ANOTHER godawful Tom Clancy novel! Damn you all to hell!!

I should have said flashpoint instead of hotspot, because a number of military analysts have stated that an Ossetia conflict could blow-up in a big way. With the weapons that Russia and the very pro-USA-Georgia have in their arsenals, I'd personally be more worried about having the possibility to even read another Clancy novel. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 07:00:49 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 08, 2008, 11:03:46 PM

Quote from: Canuck on August 08, 2008, 10:12:07 PM

I should have said flashpoint instead of hotspot, because a number of military analysts have stated that an Ossetia conflict could blow-up in a big way. With the weapons that Russia and the very pro-USA-Georgia have in their arsenals, I'd personally be more worried about having the possibility to even read another Clancy novel. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.
All I know of the situation is that the US has Georgian troops fighting in Iraq and owes them something. And Russia has been pissed at the US over Ukraine and Kosovo, and things aren't gonna get better in this war if it isn't resolved ASAP. The US and Russia may have "resolved" the Cold War, but that doesn't make them friends in any respect. I could see this getting a little ugly, with a real war (not a war against a totally unprepared and overwhelmed enemy) ensuing without some strong diplomatic wrangling. And without motherfucking preconditions, which are the point of negotiations in the first place.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 07:35:58 AM »

I don't think the US will intervene, at least as long as the Russians don't do anything stupid like try and occupy all of Georgia.  They appear to only have limited objectives, mainly taking control of the South Ossetia region.  That doesn't mean they won't launch airstrikes elsewhere to keep Georgia from fully responding, however. 

We don't have an alliance with Georgia so we don't "owe" them anything.  And it's not like the Georgians are innocent in the events leading up the Russian intervention in South Ossetia.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 01:54:38 AM »

I don't think the US will intervene, at least as long as the Russians don't do anything stupid like try and occupy all of Georgia.  They appear to only have limited objectives, mainly taking control of the South Ossetia region.  That doesn't mean they won't launch airstrikes elsewhere to keep Georgia from fully responding, however. 

We don't have an alliance with Georgia so we don't "owe" them anything.  And it's not like the Georgians are innocent in the events leading up the Russian intervention in South Ossetia.

my thoughts too

the russians have threatened recognizing s.o. before - consider this a recognition
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 07:03:28 AM »

It's not our job to intervene anyway. Gets old real fast how we are somehow supposed to be the world's police force every time some conflict breaks out.
Two countries go to war? Hell, America will put it's troops in the MIDDLE of it! No problem! Our troops don't mean anything anyway.. so long as the war monger who sends them off doesn't have to send any of his kids out to fight.

I don't agree with Russia's aggression on Georgia, but in the end it's none of my business. It's not like it somehow effects our national security. We're already fighting two wars with countries that were still in the stone age of military technology. Would we really risk going into another unneccessary war with a country that never in anyway threatened us, but who could in the end, do a lot of damage?

We're going to need more "its not our job to police the world" Ron Pauls in congress out there.. and less war mongers like Bush and McCain, should things get any worse between Russia and Georgia.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »

The more I read about this conflict, the more is seems like Georgia is more wrong than Russia in the situation. Georgia killed about 10 Russian soldiers when it attack Southern Ossettia, as well as a huge amount of civilians.
Mikhail Gorbachev writes a good breakdown of the situation.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 05:52:23 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 17, 2008, 04:37:29 PM

The more I read about this conflict, the more is seems like Georgia is more wrong than Russia in the situation. Georgia killed about 10 Russian soldiers when it attack Southern Ossettia, as well as a huge amount of civilians.
Mikhail Gorbachev writes a good breakdown of the situation.

I don't think we'll ever get the honest story about who did what over there.  Each side is going to spin it so they look like a victim, and from what I understand we didn't even have any eyes in the sky looking over what was happening until later.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 06:36:27 PM »

There's a lot we can and will know, though. This conflict didn't just spring out of nowhere. It pretty much started in 2003, or before, when the US helped (or at least some people in the US) overthrow the corrupt, pro-Russian government. Russia took that as an attack, from what I gather.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 17, 2008, 06:36:27 PM

There's a lot we can and will know, though. This conflict didn't just spring out of nowhere. It pretty much started in 2003, or before, when the US helped (or at least some people in the US) overthrow the corrupt, pro-Russian government. Russia took that as an attack, from what I gather.

It goes back a lot farther than 2003.  At the very least, you should start back in early '90s when the regions in dispute became autonomous from the Georgian government under an international agreement.

That said, I also think the truth of actual civillian deaths and actual incidents of ethnic violence.  There seem to be plenty of witnesses on both sides but also a lack of bodies on both sides.  Bodies have already been moved so it's not like the media is going to wander into an untouched environment and find "proof."

- American Dad
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 05:34:07 AM »

I thought we bought Russia after the fall of the Berlin  Wall?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 06:26:02 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on August 18, 2008, 05:34:07 AM

I thought we bought Russia after the fall of the Berlin  Wall?

We did, but we sold it to T. Boone Pickens, who sold it to Putin to finance the "Swift Boat" campaign against Kerry.  See, Yeltsin was a CIA controlled puppet and the various Russian oligarchs that took over the major industries were really just fronts for big international oil cartels.  When Clinton told the CIA to get out of the "controlling other governments" business, the CIA traded Russia to Pickens in return for more black helicopters based on crashed UFO technology.  I think Brent Spiner was involved in that part somehow, along with Steven Spielberg.  It's all pretty obvious if you compare the layout of Nashville to ancient Templar beliefs.

At least, that's what I heard on late-night radio.

ninja
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:32:38 AM by Sarkus » Logged

- American Dad
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on August 17, 2008, 07:16:30 PM

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 17, 2008, 06:36:27 PM

It goes back a lot farther than 2003.  At the very least, you should start back in early '90s when the regions in dispute became autonomous from the Georgian government under an international agreement.

Actually...the current situation goes back to the early 90's when the Ossetians formally declared their independence. However, tension between the Georgians and Ossetians goes back to about the 16th century. Good luck to anyone who thinks a historical problem like this is going to be resolved quickly yet alone in our lifetime.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 01:24:53 AM »

so now it's our fault.   I LOL'd.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: