http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 12:32:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rev. Graham: Obama won because Christians didn't vote  (Read 4585 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »

The thing I don't get about faith - why is the story of Christianity more worthy of blind acceptance than the story of Hinduism, and vice versa?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 17, 2013, 07:53:45 PM

The thing I don't get about faith - why is the story of Christianity more worthy of blind acceptance than the story of Hinduism, and vice versa?

eh? Who says it is so? I genuinly don't follow your reasoning here. If you are asking because you were brought up to be a christian, its simple - Cultural upbringing, thats all. Its, whether you like it or not, such a big part of how we act that its VERY hard to put oneself outside it.

A new one
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 17, 2013, 07:59:39 PM

Quote from: Teggy on January 17, 2013, 07:53:45 PM

eh? Who says it is so? I genuinly don't follow your reasoning here. If you are asking because you were brought up to be a christian, its simple - Cultural upbringing, thats all. Its, whether you like it or not, such a big part of how we act that its VERY hard to put oneself outside it.

I wasn't brought up Christian, but that's not really what I'm saying. People will say that they know the word of Jesus (or other religious belief) to be true due to faith. They take it all on faith because there is no other way to believe something like that except for faith. But if you are going to blindly accept something, why is one religious view more worthy of your faith than another?

I can see for a lot of people, that belief has been forced up them by their family, but for those that have been "born again", this is something that they have generally taken on on their own, later in life.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2013, 09:36:35 PM »

I have to agree with Razgon, it's a cultural thing.  If I'm "born again" and it's as a Christian, it's most likely going to be because 99.9 percent of the people around me are Christians.  If I had been born in India and then born again in a spiritual sense, it would most likely be into the Hindu faith...although I would like to think I'd actually go for Kali and become a super assassin in her dark employ!

Also, I think "born again" is primarily a Christian turn of phrase.  Normally you see the word "converted" when someone goes from being Catholic to Jewish, for example.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »

What I'm asking is a philosophical question, though, not a cultural one. Shouldn't anyone who has faith really ask themselves why they should invest that faith in the religion they practice vs. another?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2013, 10:22:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 17, 2013, 06:11:57 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 17, 2013, 05:39:19 PM

Quote from: Alefroth on January 17, 2013, 05:30:32 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 17, 2013, 12:53:30 PM

All backward idiots are atheists? IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE IMPLYING??!

I don't think he's implying that at all. Why do you ask that?

Ale

Hi there - The above was...as I REALLY hope was clear, just a joke to lighten the mood a bit here. I took his words, twisted them, and wrote something that made absolutely no sense.

I was actually implying that all Athiests walk backwards.

I thought that was the Muslims.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2013, 03:16:11 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 17, 2013, 06:11:57 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 17, 2013, 05:39:19 PM

Quote from: Alefroth on January 17, 2013, 05:30:32 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 17, 2013, 12:53:30 PM

All backward idiots are atheists? IS THAT WHAT YOU ARE IMPLYING??!

I don't think he's implying that at all. Why do you ask that?

Ale

Hi there - The above was...as I REALLY hope was clear, just a joke to lighten the mood a bit here. I took his words, twisted them, and wrote something that made absolutely no sense.

I was actually implying that all Athiests walk backwards.

Atheism has provided you no grounds to believe such things. The agnostics, on the other hand... frankly, I'm not so sure about them.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2013, 03:29:12 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 17, 2013, 12:49:54 PM

The point is that we shouldn't make a sweeping statement that all religious people are backwards idiots.

Of course not all religious people are backwards or idiots. The vast majority of religious folks are neither. However, to reject evolution for creationism is a backwards and idiotic thing to do.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2013, 03:31:16 AM »

... or victims of indoctrination and the resultant cognitive dissonance.

There is a difference between acting a fool and being one.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2013, 03:36:04 AM »

Quote from: Alefroth on January 17, 2013, 05:28:15 PM

Quote from: Fireball1244 on January 17, 2013, 06:04:32 AM

Quote from: TiLT on January 14, 2013, 05:31:56 AM

Quote from: hepcat on January 14, 2013, 02:27:25 AM

Arclight isn't trying to insult anyone.  He's being open and honest about his beliefs.  I may not agree with them, but I see no reason to belittle him for his faith.  I disagree more with intolerance, truth be told.

I realize that, and I'm not trying to insult him either, though I am being harsh on purpose. I don't see why he can attack the foundations of my world view (such as the Big Bang) if I can't attack his right back. Sometimes I get the impression that attacking science is okay, but attacking religion is unacceptable.

It's not just "the foundation of your worldview," either. Science is right -- not always in its conclusions, but in its process and approach. The framework of science is the only system we have in place for truly determining what is factual or not in this world.

If your religion is based upon ignoring or denying large bodies of rigorously-tested scientific data, then your religion is undeserving of respect.

Are the followers of that religion undeserving of respect?

Ale

Everyone as a person is worthy of respect. But not everyone's opinions on every issue is worthy of respect. Those who reject science also abdicate any right to having their opinions on matters scientific respected.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2013, 03:43:04 AM »

IM(H)O, faith is taught too much, and too early in life - it is brought to children who are just learning the world. Theology isn't taught for quite some time (in schools - generally mid-to-late highschool), and if the religious material requires a child's ignorance to adopt it, then there is something fundamentally wrong with what you're teaching.

A parallel is sex ed - this isn't taught to four-year-olds - they're taught to tell when someone touches them in their genital areas, not the implications or the details sexual intercourse.

If you're bringing a kid into a religion, go for it - but it should be at a high level (since they're good up until 7 or 9 or something, right? Free ticket to heaven?). Anything else is brainwashing and creating that discrepancy. When forced to evaluate that discrepancy later in life, they then have to either disassociate the connection between family, friends, and memories of childhood with fact. This is far less likely to happen then for that person to stubbornly set their heels in, tug a braid, smooth their skirts and refuse to back down.

Round indeed!! Why have I not rolled off it then?!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:46:01 AM by Purge » Logged

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2013, 07:26:39 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 17, 2013, 10:02:13 PM

What I'm asking is a philosophical question, though, not a cultural one. Shouldn't anyone who has faith really ask themselves why they should invest that faith in the religion they practice vs. another?

They don't because it has been drilled into them by society and their surroundings not to do so. It's as natural as breathing to understand that that faith in particular is the right one. As I wrote earlier, its very difficult to go beyond one's cultural upbringing, which is the philosophical part you are asking about, but its based on upbringing.

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: