http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 06:37:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rep. Paul Broun: theories of evolution & big bang are 'lies straight from hell'  (Read 802 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2012, 07:01:24 AM »

"lies straight from the pit of Hell" to be exact:

U.S. Rep. Paul Broun's view that the theories of evolution and the big bang are "lies straight from the pit of Hell" is getting more exposure than he might have expected, thanks to a video that was made at a church-sponsored banquet in Georgia and distributed by a progressive political watchdog group.

The Georgia Republican is already well-known as an outspoken conservative Christian, due in part to his unsuccessful campaign to have 2010 declared "the Year of the Bible." But the latest comments have taken on an extra dab of controversy because Broun, a medical doctor, calls himself a scientist in the video and chairs the House Science Committee's panel on investigations and oversight.

The video clip, distributed by the Bridge Project, was taken from a longer version recorded on Sept. 27 during the 2012 Sportsman's Banquet at Liberty Baptist Church in Hartwell, Ga.

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/05/14203607-video-shows-scientist-in-congress-saying-evolution-is-from-pit-of-hell?lite&ocid=msnhp

saywhat

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:01:10 AM »

Why are so many southern conservatives so willing to be ingorant? The sad part is that the people in Georgia will easily reelect this guy. So if you're saying "Don't label all southern conservatives as willingly ignorant". Then I say at least the majority are since they elected the guy and will re-elect him knowing how ignorant the guy is. Thus continuing the cycle of ignorance.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »

If only we could live long enough to see this time in history referred to as the real dark ages because of these nut fucks.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:42:45 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 06, 2012, 02:48:09 PM

If only we could live long enough to see this time in history referred to as the real dark ages because of these nut fucks.

Luckily it's mostly just the US (as in "a significant portion of the population", not "everyone") and various third-world countries that subscribe to these fundamentalist beliefs, so it's not so widespread as to be utterly destructive to our future.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 01:37:58 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 08, 2012, 10:42:45 AM

Luckily it's mostly just the US (as in "a significant portion of the population", not "everyone") and various third-world countries that subscribe to these fundamentalist beliefs, so it's not so widespread as to be utterly destructive to our future.

It's not a "significant portion of the population" that believes this. It's a very vocal, very small portion that lives mainly in the deep south. Unfortunately, it hits the media as an implied "look at these idiots" and gets spread around the world. Don't worry, the average American looks at these idiots the same as a train wreck or Honey Boo Boo.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 04:21:29 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on October 08, 2012, 01:37:58 PM

It's not a "significant portion of the population" that believes this. It's a very vocal, very small portion that lives mainly in the deep south. Unfortunately, it hits the media as an implied "look at these idiots" and gets spread around the world. Don't worry, the average American looks at these idiots the same as a train wreck or Honey Boo Boo.

It only seems that way if you live in a blue state. Behold "the average American."

Nearly half of Americans believe God created mankind in a single day about 10,000 years ago, a literal interpretation of the Bible, according to a new survey that shows the view toward evolution in the United States hasn't changed in 30 years.

About 46 percent of people say creationism explains the origin of humans. Just 15 percent say humans evolved without the assistance of God, a Gallup poll finds.

The new data reveals that more Americans think President Barack Obama is a Muslim than believe in the theory of evolution. More Americans also believe in witches with magical powers, too.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »

It seems like anytime something negative about a section of our country comes up, you jump in with these sweeping generalizations that damn the larger populace.  Not sure why you have this prejudice against our country, but I'll just assume you're getting your info from some pretty biased sources.  That or you only believe the negative stuff and ignore anything else.  That's a shame.  It's like believing all Muslims want a war with all Jews and Christians.

No, there isn't a "significant portion" of the US that believes this way.  If there were, don't you think creationism would be widely taught in schools?  Heck, same sex marriage wouldn't even be up for discussion.  We have fundamentalists, yes (every country does).  But I feel safe in saying that the majority of the Christians in this country, while believing in God, also believe in science and social advancement.  They may believe that God created earth (as the polls mentioned below indicate) but that doesn't necessarily make them crazed luddites who want to drag us back to an Agrarian society that burns witches and cowers in fear during an eclipse.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:38:17 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 05:11:50 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on October 08, 2012, 04:21:29 PM

Quote from: Calavera on October 08, 2012, 01:37:58 PM

It only seems that way if you live in a blue state. Behold "the average American."

Nearly half of Americans believe God created mankind in a single day about 10,000 years ago, a literal interpretation of the Bible, according to a new survey that shows the view toward evolution in the United States hasn't changed in 30 years.

About 46 percent of people say creationism explains the origin of humans. Just 15 percent say humans evolved without the assistance of God, a Gallup poll finds.

The new data reveals that more Americans think President Barack Obama is a Muslim than believe in the theory of evolution. More Americans also believe in witches with magical powers, too.

I believe you left out the best part of that link!

More Americans also believe in witches, 21 percent, according to a separate Gallup poll. Three quarters said they believed in some kind of supernatural or paranormal activity.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on October 08, 2012, 05:11:50 PM

I believe you left out the best part of that link!

More Americans also believe in witches, 21 percent, according to a separate Gallup poll. Three quarters said they believed in some kind of supernatural or paranormal activity.

That would be bored housewives in middle to upper class households.

There's a coffee shop near my apartment that I sometimes go to.  On more than one occasion I've been seated behind a couple of middle aged house fraus discussing how they really believe they have psychic abilities or how they recently had an amazing encounter with a fortune teller. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:16:32 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 06:25:49 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 08, 2012, 05:06:47 PM

It seems like anytime something negative about a section of our country comes up, you jump in with these sweeping generalizations that damn the larger populace.  Not sure why you have this prejudice against our country, but I'll just assume you're getting your info from some pretty biased sources.  That or you only believe the negative stuff and ignore anything else.  That's a shame.  It's like believing all Muslims want a war with all Jews and Christians.

Your post has a bit less impact coming directly after Ironrod's. His data is the same I used to form my opinion. 

No, there isn't a "significant portion" of the US that believes this way.  

Yes there is. See above. "Significant portion" doesn't mean "majority". It just means a large enough amount with enough influence to have an impact on national politics. Can you honestly say that these people we're talking about don't qualify for that?

If there were, don't you think creationism would be widely taught in schools?

If they were a majority, sure! You're already seeing creationism being taught as a respectable alternative to evolution in certain public schools in the US, though not in a widespread format. Name another first-world country where this happens. Just one. I'm not picky.

Heck, same sex marriage wouldn't even be up for discussion.  We have fundamentalists, yes (every country does).  But I feel safe in saying that the majority of the Christians in this country, while believing in God, also believe in science and social advancement.  They may believe that God created earth (as the polls mentioned below indicate) but that doesn't necessarily make them crazed luddites who want to drag us back to an Agrarian society that burns witches and cowers in fear during an eclipse.

Sure, but again, I'm not talking about the majority. I'm talking about a significant portion of the population. It doesn't help that one of the US' two major political parties pander to this portion as well, granting them some semblance of undeserved respectability.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »

So, it comes down to you defining significant portion to be whatever suits you?  Good to know.  Can't really argue against that as it's not really an argument to begin with.   Also, your original statement indicated that a significant portion of the United States had the same believes as the subject of this post (Sen. Paul Broun).  Now you're trying to tie his form of extremism to simply believing in a God, or that God created the Earth.  

Until you actually spend some time learning about the world around you, you'll maintain these small minded and bigoted beliefs, I suppose.  I hope someday you rise above them, though.  In the end, I feel kind of sorry for you.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 02:58:19 PM »

I like both Big Bang Theory. Is Evolution any good?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 03:14:53 PM »

If a "significant portion" of the US was like Paul Broun, how did a show like that even make it to television?   icon_confused

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 09, 2012, 02:54:58 PM

So, it comes down to you defining significant portion to be whatever suits you?  Good to know.  

Here, this may help. I'm not making up definitions. You are.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 12:11:44 AM »

He can "believe" all he wants... He'll be right there with all the rest of us when it ends...
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 03:01:37 AM »

So, it comes down to you defining significant portion to be whatever suits you?  

"Nearly half of Americans believe God created mankind in a single day about 10,000 years ago...About 46 percent of people say creationism explains the origin of humans."

How is that not a significant portion?

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 11:15:43 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on October 10, 2012, 03:01:37 AM

"Nearly half of Americans believe God created mankind in a single day about 10,000 years ago...About 46 percent of people say creationism explains the origin of humans."

They called ~ 1000 people for this survey. Critically, however, there is no breakdown by state. As a result, the poll is treating the whole country as homogeneous with respect to these answers.
The results are about as accurate as an internet poll of "random" people (that is, not very). It's meant to be a throw away poll for soundbites, not a rigorous study that could be peer reviewed.

With a higher sample size distributed among the states evenly, I'd wager you would get a drastically different result.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:49:35 AM by Calavera » Logged
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 09:24:38 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on October 10, 2012, 11:15:43 AM

Quote from: Ironrod on October 10, 2012, 03:01:37 AM

They called ~ 1000 people for this survey. Critically, however, there is no breakdown by state. As a result, the poll is treating the whole country as homogeneous with respect to these answers.
The results are about as accurate as an internet poll of "random" people (that is, not very). It's meant to be a throw away poll for soundbites, not a rigorous study that could be peer reviewed.

With a higher sample size distributed among the states evenly, I'd wager you would get a drastically different result.

Well, I hope your hunch is right, but it would be nice to have something stronger than a hunch to go on. There are exactly zero creationists among my small circle of friends and family, and probably not many more than that among my neighbors here in the bluest of blue states where we are all secular humanists...even my Republican in-laws.

If everybody in the red states is a mouth-breathing knuckle dragger, then the poll results of "almost half" would probably be about right. 'Course, it's probably a little more complicated than that.  icon_wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: