http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 11:17:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redskins Lose Trademark  (Read 3160 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »

Did it taste too spicy? Different than usual? Or was the sauce off?

You lost me on Butter chicken, everyone I know loves it, but it's far to bland IMO. Give me a good vindaloo or madras please.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2014, 06:43:22 PM »

You must not be a fan of Tandori chicken then. 

The problem I've encountered at two different Pakistani places is the amount of spices they use.  It's about two to three times more than I've ever had at an Indian restaurant. 

Have you ever had southern Indian vegetarian food?  Especially a crepe like dish called a Dosa?  Good lord, you'll think you died and went to heaven.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 24, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 24, 2014, 06:14:39 PM

Quote from: Teggy on June 24, 2014, 06:10:33 PM

I think we need to step back for a second and discuss these Indian tacos. This sounds like something my stomach would be happy to be racist about.

Have you had Indian frybread before?  It's that, with taco toppings on it:

Get your couch ready, I am coming for a visit.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 24, 2014, 06:50:56 PM »

Time for Wonder to do some shopping first though...

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2014, 07:08:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 24, 2014, 06:43:22 PM

The problem I've encountered at two different Pakistani places is the amount of spices they use.  It's about two to three times more than I've ever had at an Indian restaurant.  

Have you ever had southern Indian vegetarian food?  Especially a crepe like dish called a Dosa?  Good lord, you'll think you died and went to heaven.

Funny you mention that, they had crepes at the place I was at Sunday, almost ordered one of them for something different and decided against it.  Will have to try it next time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:58:49 PM by Lee » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 24, 2014, 07:10:28 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 24, 2014, 06:43:22 PM

The problem I've encountered at two different Pakistani places is the amount of spices they use.  It's about two to three times more than I've ever had at an Indian restaurant. 

Have you ever had southern Indian vegetarian food?  Especially a crepe like dish called a Dosa?  Good lord, you'll think you died and went to heaven.

Masala Dosa nomnomnom

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 24, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 24, 2014, 04:41:15 PM

I have trouble understanding why someone who constantly rails against a government he feels shows undue favoritism to the rich and powerful would be up in arms over a minority successfully pleading their case in front of that same government...and winning their case.   icon_confused

Fair question.  They have removed the ability of a company to profit from its trademark and basically opened the floodgates for anyone to do anything with that logo.  Doesn't seem like it's a power they should use...unless, you know, it was to make cancer medicine free. Maybe Snyder's lobbying group isn't big enough or in enough pockets.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 24, 2014, 07:46:11 PM »

...or maybe to address a minority's decades long grievance that an offensive name is being used as a federally sanctioned trademark?

And just because they helped a minority, that doesn't mean they've used up all their power and can now no longer address other issues.  

Also, they don't have the power to make medicines (or anything) free.  Not sure where that concern even came from.   icon_confused

Would you rather have it that all rulings they make can never be altered by a plea from the people?

p.s. Snyder is FAR from being some poor schlep fighting for his rights in this matter.  He's "the man" you seem to distrust in most of your posts.  One minute you're upset because successful business people are getting their way, now you're upset when a successful businessman DOESN'T get his way?  Make up your mind, my man.    

Oh, and if Snyder loved the name so much, why did he ditch it when FedEx offered him a boatload of cash to change their stadium's name?  
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:18:04 PM by hepcat » Logged

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 24, 2014, 07:46:11 PM

Oh, and if Snyder loved the name so much, why did he ditch it when FedEx offered him a boatload of cash to change their stadium's name? 

This is why I really don't care about this whole thing. The fans can scream about their 80 years of tradition, which I very much understand, but everything is for sale in pro sports. The team could move and change their name tomorrow if it suited them financially. For the league and owners this is about money, not tradition.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 24, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »

Chicken Tikka Masala with a couple pieces of naan here, thank you.

and Lee, don't make me pull up those emails and point out where you invited me over for a rumble  icon_razz

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 24, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »

Also, they don't have the power to make medicines (or anything) free.  Not sure where that concern even came from.   icon_confused

No but they do have the power to strip legally obtained TM's whenever they want apparently. So why not benefit mankind?

And I have no delusions about Snyder, but he's clearly not greasing the right palms.

Edit: I wish Pr0ner would chime in. I think he works in the patent/trademark field.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:18:32 PM by ATB » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »

Oh and perhaps the point that Zeke is trying to make is that why are people sitting around fretting about a team name even if if it is offensive to them?

I find the band name Niggas With Attitude offensive. Same with Black Entertainment Television...but it's not my mission to correct those wrongs.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2014, 10:53:30 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 24, 2014, 10:05:59 PM

No but they do have the power to strip legally obtained TM's whenever they want apparently. So why not benefit mankind?

And I have no delusions about Snyder, but he's clearly not greasing the right palms.

Edit: I wish Pr0ner would chime in. I think he works in the patent/trademark field.

Do you still not understand that a suit was brought TOO them?  They can't just do this whenever they want nor did they this time.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 24, 2014, 11:10:10 PM »

They didn't just do this out of the blue and of their own accord.  How many times does this need to be repeated?  

edit:  forgeforsaken beat me to it.

Quote from: ATB on June 24, 2014, 10:34:03 PM

I find the band name Niggas With Attitude offensive. Same with Black Entertainment Television...

Why?

You've never once been the target of either of those epithets.  You're just creating silly analogies.

But if you want to lash out effectively, then simply take your case to the uspto and claim that you find it offensive and want the trademark protections afforded them pulled.  Anyone can do it.  If we couldn't we'd be living in the government you oftentimes accuse us of having.

Quote from: ATB on June 24, 2014, 10:34:03 PM

Oh and perhaps the point that Zeke is trying to make is that why are people sitting around fretting about a team name even if if it is offensive to them?

Congratulations on coming to the conclusion that everyone who fought for civil rights or marriage equality that weren't a minority or gay were just busybodies.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 01:01:20 AM by hepcat » Logged

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 24, 2014, 11:33:20 PM »

I am not offended by the name Redskins one bit. The difference seems to be that I understand why some people would be.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2014, 12:24:06 AM »

ATB, is your beef that this is happening to an establishment that has used the Redskins name for decades, or that it's just plain ridiculous for anyone to be offended by the word redskins itself?  Do you have an issue with the Redskins Hog Rinds trademark getting denied earlier this year, or Redskins Pigskins and Redskins Fanatics getting denied before that?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:15:52 AM by wonderpug » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2014, 01:13:15 AM »

Rip pretty much admitted in the OO thread that he's just over here stirring the pot.   stirthepot

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2014, 01:43:19 AM »

He's kind of just background noise wherever he goes.  If it helps his ego to think otherwise, then I say we all pretend he's doing so.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2014, 02:13:20 AM »

The thing is, his posts have basically amounted to, "I'm not only generally okay with racist expression -- I find it personally entertaining."

That isn't stirring the pot.  It's more like jamming your bare arm into the pot and then laughing all the way to the burn ward about the crazy looks people gave you.

-Autistic Angel
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: June 25, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »

So is the position ATB is arguing that:

1) The trademark office shouldn't have standards regarding what they do or do not allow to be trademarked?

or

2) That if the trademark office has such standards, but issues a trademark that may not be in compliance with them, that no one should have standing to contest the issuance of the trademark?

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 25, 2014, 01:51:13 PM »

Aren't all trademarks legally obtained though? If you're not allowed to strip a trademark then what is even the point of having a process that enables that? I'm not sure that there's anything wrong with overriding previous decisions. Everything that is illegal was once legal.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »

Quote from: ATB on June 24, 2014, 07:19:47 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 24, 2014, 04:41:15 PM

I have trouble understanding why someone who constantly rails against a government he feels shows undue favoritism to the rich and powerful would be up in arms over a minority successfully pleading their case in front of that same government...and winning their case.   icon_confused

Fair question.  They have removed the ability of a company to profit from its trademark and basically opened the floodgates for anyone to do anything with that logo.  Doesn't seem like it's a power they should use...unless, you know, it was to make cancer medicine free. Maybe Snyder's lobbying group isn't big enough or in enough pockets.

Some points of clarification:

1) Snyder can certainly still profit from the name. It's just that no longer protected, which means other can as well.

2) And the US Patent Office has routinely rejected Trademarks that they deem offensive. It's part of the vetting process when you apply.

3) It's not like the Patent Office went and did this on their own. A group (of Native Americans) filed for a review on the grounds that it never should have been granted. I'm really not sure what the the Office could do here... say 'nope sorry, not offensive'? It obviously is and they missed it the first time around.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2014, 02:46:51 PM »

Now of course there certainly *could* be an argument made that I should be able to Trademark anything, offensive or not, so long as I met the other requirements. I can get on that side of the argument. But that's not how it works.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 01:23:52 AM

Complete absurdity.

This honky cracker privileged white bread knuckle dragger wouldn't give 2 shits if a team was called "Palefaces"

Get over yourselves.

On second thought, maybe I will give 2 shits.......two can always play this stupid game.

Easy to say when there aren't any.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 25, 2014, 05:27:45 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 19, 2014, 02:15:19 PM

Quote from: Canuck on June 19, 2014, 02:03:58 PM

Quote from: Scraper on June 19, 2014, 01:46:12 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2014, 01:05:33 PM

Quote from: Scraper on June 19, 2014, 12:50:21 PM

The biggest problem I have with it is that we have a branch of the government deciding what is and isn't "offensive" based on speech. If you guys so clearly want to believe in the free market then why can't the USPTO sit back and watch the trademark wither away because the American people don't buy the products it's associated with?  

Why is it is so difficult to understand that this is out and out racism.  Redskin is NOT a tribal name, nor is it a person's name.  It's a racist slur.  Indians have been trying to get it banned for ages.  This isn't a new endeavor created by a "PC crowd".  If there was a team called the New York Kikes or the San Diego Tar Babies, would that be okay?  

And the American people have repeatedly proven that they aren't ALWAYS going to do the right thing.  As a matter of fact, if the government DIDN'T step in from time to time, we'd still have lynchings, whites only water fountains and segregation in many areas.

1. I never denied that it's offensive or racist.

2. Lynchings, whites only water fountains, and segregation are a far cry from a corporate logo and team name. In fact they're not even in the same ball park. We're not talking about basic human rights here, what we're talking about is hurting people's feelings. It's a slippery slope when the government starts making decisions based off of hurt feelings.
I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt but the fact that Zeke agrees with you could be a hint that you might be wrong on this one. smile

I'm not so sure that Zeke does agree with me. His opinion from what I can tell is "Damn liberals are trying to force change on us again". My opinion is more rooted in the fact that I don't think the Government should decide what "hurts people feelings". The free market should do that in this case because it is a company selling a product. In this case the product name just happens to be offensive.

I know there are limits to the "Free Market" principle. We can't let companies do whatever they want all the time. In this case though we seem to be saying "it's ok for the government to deny trademark protection because the trademark hurts people's feelings". Which to me is a huge difference from a company that is actively denying people's rights or actively hurting the community. "Feelings" can be tricky.

In a free market, trademarks wouldn't exist.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2014, 06:05:24 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 24, 2014, 01:21:30 PM

The fans that don't care what the name of the team is, and just want to watch their team play, are being assumed to be racist if they disagree with any attempt to change the name.

If it doesn't matter to them what the name is, what's wrong with using something that isn't a slur?

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 25, 2014, 06:07:20 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 24, 2014, 01:27:36 PM

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy everything that Zeke writes?   icon_lol

It's like having our own private cautionary tale right here on GT.  We really need to get his words out there so that we can start showing the right what's happening.

I feel guilty for enjoying watching him implode, but it couldn't happen to a more deserving person.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 25, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 24, 2014, 01:51:14 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on June 24, 2014, 01:45:57 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 24, 2014, 01:37:01 PM

Quote from: Zekester on June 24, 2014, 01:31:33 PM

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy everything that Zeke writes?   icon_lol

Just because we are the minority on this forum does not mean that we are wrong on the issue.

So you are saying the Native American's are right then.  stirthepot

Side note on the Native American / Indian.  Upon moving to New Mexico I learned that the Indians here prefer to be called Indians.  All the references you see around here pretty much all say Indian, from Indian tacos to Indian dances to the Indian Culture Center.  Generally, they think "Native American" is a stupid term.  Using just "Native" is acceptable.

I prefer whitebread over whitey. Whitey has a negative connotation.
I also prefer just "pale" as opposed to "paleskin".
Caucasian is just a bizarre word. Don't use it to describe me, thank you.

I wonder if these "Natives" care about my concerns?

Your persecution complex is about to achieve orbit.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 25, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »

Another group is planning a lawsuit against the Chief Wahoo logo for the Cleveland Indians.  Unlike Snyder though, Cleveland was already in the process of phasing out the logo in favor of a red block letter C.   I think they realize it was coming and they most likely won't be making as big a stink about it.  Fans, maybe a bit though.  But that's to be expected.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 25, 2014, 10:34:07 PM »

Quote from: Alefroth on June 25, 2014, 06:07:20 PM

It's like having our own private cautionary tale right here on GT.  We really need to get his words out there so that we can start showing the right what's happening.

I feel guilty for enjoying watching him implode, but it couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

who are you again??  icon_confused

and who's imploding???  icon_confused icon_confused retard

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 25, 2014, 10:41:35 PM »

Man, I could go for some butter chicken right about now.

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 25, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 25, 2014, 10:34:07 PM

Quote from: Alefroth on June 25, 2014, 06:07:20 PM

who are you again??  icon_confused

and who's imploding???  icon_confused icon_confused retard

They call me mellow yellow.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2014, 04:48:37 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 25, 2014, 08:39:31 PM

Another group is planning a lawsuit against the Chief Wahoo logo for the Cleveland Indians.  Unlike Snyder though, Cleveland was already in the process of phasing out the logo in favor of a red block letter C.   I think they realize it was coming and they most likely won't be making as big a stink about it.  Fans, maybe a bit though.  But that's to be expected.

I live in the Cleveland area and not a single person I've spoken too think this is a good idea. Crazy.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on June 26, 2014, 04:48:37 AM

Quote from: hepcat on June 25, 2014, 08:39:31 PM

I live in the Cleveland area and not a single person I've spoken too think this is a good idea. Crazy.

I live near Cleveland too and the only reaction I've heard to the phasing out is that the Block C logo is really lame, it could be used for any number of teams including the Reds and the Cubs who already use a similar logo. It's just generic. But honestly Wahoo is a portrait of a racial stereotype. It's not any different than using a black face cartoon character as your logo.

In my opinion they should come up with a new logo that identifies as being Indian but isn't offensive. Heck they could take the feather from Wahoo's bandanna and focus on that and it would be better than a lame Block C.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 26, 2014, 01:07:52 PM »

I think that would be a fair compromise.  Honor the people you've chosen as your trademark and all that.

I do wish they'd never changed Gund Arena to the Quicken Tax Shell Arena or whatever it is now.  I liked having a sports stadium that sounded like an STD.  icon_frown

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 26, 2014, 01:27:40 PM »

Gund? As in the stuffed animal company?

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 26, 2014, 02:04:58 PM »

In regards to Chief Wahoo, this does a good job of showing off its inappropriateness

What's crazier is when you look at the Cleveland Indian's logos over time.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:06:45 PM by forgeforsaken » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 26, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »

One things for certain, from 1933 to 1938 marketing for the Cleveland Indians was handed over to someone's 9 year old nephew.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 26, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »

I'm just amazed that 46-50 one isn't red skinned. Everything else about it screams cheesy stereotype. Hey at least the Indians organization never put a bottle of booze in the logo. So I guess it could be worse.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »

Why didn't they just go back to the 20's logo? Clean it up a little and you have a nice classy throwback logo.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: