http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:11:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redskins Lose Trademark  (Read 2662 times)
Zekester
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2014, 03:32:02 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 19, 2014, 03:28:20 PM

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 03:24:22 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2014, 03:21:37 PM

I have honestly never heard "taig" before.   icon_confused

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 03:19:41 PM

who is the almighty word dictator in your world?

Folks who aren't racist and think it's funny to insult others based on their color, religion or sexual preference?

according to you

I want to deem the word hepcat to be offensive and therefore removed here. by your logic, would you go along with it?

and no one is laughing at Indians. They're enjoying the hell out of rooting for their beloved Indian-named team! LOL

Again, he goes to the straw man.  How about you actually address the actual issue.  The word isn't being banned by the government, the government is refusing to protect the exclusive monetization of the word.  

I've been all over the issue.....Gov't trying to use it's power to dictate what words they find offensive=bad idea.

Please pay better attention. Or do i need to be even clearer for you?

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2014, 03:33:07 PM »

why did you delete your personal insult, hepcat?

fearing you're losing the argument?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2014, 03:33:55 PM »

Here lets give this trademark stuff some context.  Check out my new avatar!
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 19, 2014, 03:33:55 PM

Here lets give this trademark stuff some context.  Check out my new avatar!

what's the problem?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2014, 03:35:36 PM »

Let me guess, you're trying to switch to the redskins logo.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2014, 03:35:36 PM

Let me guess, you're trying to switch to the redskins logo.

no, actually trying to gather some things to head out for awhile.

feel free to do your usual personal attacks while i'm gone.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »

whoops, thought zeke was the one trying to change his avatar.  my mistake.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2014, 03:42:08 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 03:32:02 PM

Folks who aren't racist and think it's funny to insult others based on their color, religion or sexual preference?

according to you

I want to deem the word hepcat to be offensive and therefore removed here. by your logic, would you go along with it?

and no one is laughing at Indians. They're enjoying the hell out of rooting for their beloved Indian-named team! LOL

Again, he goes to the straw man.  How about you actually address the actual issue.  The word isn't being banned by the government, the government is refusing to protect the exclusive monetization of the word.  

I've been all over the issue.....Gov't trying to use it's power to dictate what words they find offensive=bad idea.

That's not what happened here.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2014, 03:40:52 PM

whoops, thought zeke was the one trying to change his avatar.  my mistake.

I was briefly running with Zeke's avatar.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2014, 03:44:13 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 19, 2014, 03:42:08 PM

according to you

recognizing denial is the first step in rehabilitation. give it a shot.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 03:44:13 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 19, 2014, 03:42:08 PM

according to you

recognizing denial is the first step in rehabilitation. give it a shot.

Yup your cognitive dissonance is in full effect  Tongue
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »

The words hepcat, fireball, gellar, and forgeforsaken are offensive to me. I do not wish to see any of these words here anymore.

Being conservative on a liberal-majority forum makes me the minority.

So which one of you will step up to the plate and stand by your convictions and change your name?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »

Being in minority simply because of your opinion doesn't always equate to being unfairly suppressed.  It often just means you're wrong.

The words hepcat, fireball, gellar, and forgeforsaken are offensive to me. I do not wish to see any of these words here anymore.

Show me historical evidence in which any of those names were used as derogatory slurs against you personally.  Were you called a dirty hepcat? A rotten Gellar?  A low down Forgeforsaken at any point, anywhere?  If so, it should be easy enough to quote that.

Otherwise you're just so grossly unaware of the point that you're grasping at straws once again.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:59:25 PM by hepcat » Logged

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 03:55:33 PM

Being conservative on a liberal-majority forum makes me the minority.

So which one of you will step up to the plate and stand by your convictions and change your name?

Please explain how this has anything to do with trademark law.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2014, 04:00:40 PM »

Because Zeke believes that every time someone writes any of those names we make 12 cents?

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »

I say let him keep on talking, it just paints him in a bad corner.  But we all ready know about that. 

Yes he's trolling, he'll stop when he stops getting the attention.  Man I feel like I'm home talking to my 4 year old who misbehaves just to get the attention. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »

I don't think anyone's actually upset.  We're just blowin' off a little steam...waiting for the steam sale, ironically enough.

edit:  wait...your four year old is upset that the redskins are losing their trademark!?!

Tongue

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2014, 04:34:43 PM

I don't think anyone's actually upset.  We're just blowin' off a little steam...waiting for the steam sale, ironically enough.

edit:  wait...your four year old is upset that the redskins are losing their trademark!?!

Tongue

I have had two reports in a 10 minute period.  Someone is upset Tongue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »

Tongue

No, his kid attempts to trademark racist slurs in a bid for attention.  Read more carefully next time.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 19, 2014, 04:37:14 PM

Tongue

I have had two reports in a 10 minute period.  Someone is upset Tongue

I'm reporting whoever reported Zeke for being an unnecessary tattle tale.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »

Quote from: naednek on June 19, 2014, 04:37:14 PM

Tongue

I have had two reports in a 10 minute period.  Someone is upset Tongue

Were they new users named "Seekster" and "Zeester"?  

Seriously though, I'm surprised anyone would report the current discussion.  As far as internet dust ups go, this was barely a puff of smoke.

back on topic:  a conservative columnist for the washington post weighs in.  He makes some pretty good points.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:48:57 PM by hepcat » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2014, 04:58:18 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2014, 03:57:02 PM

Being in minority simply because of your opinion doesn't always equate to being unfairly suppressed.  It often just means you're wrong.

Show me historical evidence in which any of those names were used as derogatory slurs against you personally.  Were you called a dirty hepcat? A rotten Gellar?  A low down Forgeforsaken at any point, anywhere?  If so, it should be easy enough to quote that.

Otherwise you're just so grossly unaware of the point that you're grasping at straws once again.

BRB,I'm going to send off "Dirty Hepcat" to urbandictionary.com. 

Zeke, you are like the Stephen Colbert of this forum.  I'm just amazed anyone here is trying to argue with you on this. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2014, 05:00:10 PM »

Those who know me in RL already use it quite extensively...

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2014, 05:02:48 PM »

I don't think anyone here expects to change Zekester's mind.  We've all seen him circle this drain before.  He'll continue making LULZsome zingers until it finally dawns on him that everyone is laughing AT him, at which point he'll melt down, claim he's leaving forever, and then pop back up in a day or two like nothing ever happened.

No one can educate Zekester...but engaging him this way might just educate anyone else who reads the thread.  ATB, for example.  He was full of piss and vinegar when he started this thread, but after three pages of watching someone flail around to defend the casual use of an unmistakable racial slur for no material reason, it's possible he's changed his mind.  Who knows how many undecideds read through, as well.

"Redskin" had been employed as an ethnic slur for something like 200 years, and the only explanation supporters of the current Washington NFL brand can give to seems its continued use is that they chreish tradition.  The best possible way to counter that is to make them say it over and over again until the sheer idiocy of their position finally sinks in.

By the way, I'm posting from my phone so it's too cumbersome to quote here, but maneuvering Zekester into claiming that federal enforcement of trademark laws is an example of -less- regulation by a -smaller- government deserves a special forum badge. thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 19, 2014, 04:58:18 PM

Zeke, you are like the Stephen Colbert of this forum.  I'm just amazed anyone here is trying to argue with you on this. 

Please, Colbert is awesome.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »

The thing is, I don't think Zeke's is joking, unlike Colbert. I know many people who feel the same as Rip and Zeke on this.

I don't think it's even really about the football team, it's just another thing to be angry at the left for.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2014, 05:17:09 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 19, 2014, 05:03:12 PM

Quote from: Caine on June 19, 2014, 04:58:18 PM

Please, Colbert is awesome.
I set it out there, not as a ringing endorsement of Zeke, but as a comparison for someone who argues the case in a similar manner even though they don't understand the argument. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2014, 05:20:38 PM »

Tongue
Hepc, the Steam sale is on. 

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2014, 05:22:44 PM »

Yup!  Already bought something too! 

...it was a Redskins jersey.

(i keed, i keed)

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »

Quote from: Lee on June 19, 2014, 05:04:49 PM

The thing is, I don't think Zeke's is joking, unlike Colbert. I know many people who feel the same as Rip and Zeke on this.

I don't think it's even really about the football team, it's just another thing to be angry at the left for.

COLBERT IS WHAT?
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2014, 06:27:57 PM »

hey, the pile-on wasn't too bad this time. but this is just typical liberal hypocrisy...not one of you are willing to stand by your convictions and change your name for me, but you expect others to do it.

Anyway, it's hard for me to imagine how the word "redskins" being used in the nfl team context is a bad thing. thousands and thousands of fans worldwide are loyal to a football team with this supposedly disparaging word. they root for this team to win. they buy merchandise with this "bad" word on it and walk around proudly displaying it.

Oh, thats right...they're all just displaying their hidden racist ways.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:36:36 PM by Zekester » Logged

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 06:27:57 PM

hey, the pile-on wasn't too bad this time. but this is just typical liberal hypocrisy...not one of you are willing to stand by your convictions and change your name for me, but you expect others to do it.

If you'd kindly quote even one instance in which any of these names were used as derogatory insults towards you, as requested earlier, perhaps we would.  Did someone call you a dirty hepcat at lunch?

Anyway, it's hard for me to imagine how the word "redskins" being used in the nfl team context is a bad thing. thousands and thousands of fans worldwide are loyal to a football team with this supposedly disparaging word. they root for this team to win. they buy merchandise with this "bad" word on it and walk around proudly displaying it.

The KKK loves your logic.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:41:17 PM by hepcat » Logged

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2014, 06:39:18 PM

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 06:27:57 PM

If you'd kindly quote even one instance in which any of these names were used as derogatory insults towards you, as requested earlier, perhaps we would.  Did someone call you a dirty hepcat at lunch?

Name a recent incident where someone used the Washington Redskins in a derogatory manner towards Native Americans. Oh, and this team with the derogatory name has been employing minorities for years. If it was such a problem, why would any minority work for them? It's only this recent wave of delusional, hypocritical PC'ers that it bothers.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2014, 06:51:48 PM »

This has become cringe worthy.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »

icon_lol

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2014, 06:58:52 PM »

answer the question.

we're not living in the 19th century anymore. no one has been using 'redskin' in a derogatory manner.

as far as me leaving OO awhile ago, the personal attacks were flat-out blatant and nothing was being done about it. why would anyone stick around for that?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2014, 07:00:41 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 06:58:52 PM

as far as me leaving OO awhile ago, the personal attacks were flat-out blatant and nothing was being done about it. why would anyone stick around for that?

Sounds like you wanted someone to *regulate* that place  icon_cool
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2014, 07:03:03 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 19, 2014, 07:00:41 PM

Sounds like you wanted someone to *regulate* that place  icon_cool

being in a minority, I wanted RETRIBUTION!

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2014, 07:04:41 PM »

We're not living in the 19th century anymore. no one has been using 'redskin' in a derogatory manner.

Except...you know...it's actually listed as such in Websters dictionary.

And the Random House dictionary:

We further note the earliest restrictive usage label in dictionary definitions in Mr. Barnhart’s report dates back to 1966 from the Random House Unabridged First Edition indicating REDSKIN is “Often Offensive.” From 1986 on, all of the entries presented by Mr. Barnhart include restrictive usage labels ranging from
“not the preferred term” to “often disparaging and offensive.”

But we're talking about a tool for the liberals when we bring up dictionaries!

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2014, 07:29:42 PM »

This wasn't a situation where someone filed a complaint and the TM&P office acted without further consideration. The complaint included numerous examples of the term "redskin" being used as a slur, including at the time that the trademark was granted. Don't be so lazy, and research the situation before shooting off your ignorant mouth.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: