http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 10:30:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Redskins Lose Trademark  (Read 2714 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »

Washington Redskins have had their trademark pulled by the federal government.

Who's next?  NAACP? United Negro College Fund? BET? Cracker Barrel?

PC running amok.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:02:03 PM »

Would it have been PC run amok had they been called the Washington Coons and they had an image of a black slave as their mascot?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 05:03:50 PM »

If you'd read the decision, you'd realize that none of those names are in any way impacted by this ruling. And that you'd imply that "Cracker Barrel" could in any way be interpreted as being offensive in the same way that "Redskins" is clearly offensive and derogatory to many people shows that you're either unserious about this, or so swallowed up in your own privilege as a white person that you can't comprehend other points of view.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:42:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 18, 2014, 05:02:03 PM

Would it have been PC run amok had they been called the Washington Coons and they had an image of a black slave as their mascot?

This. I mean c'mon. This is like naming them the Washington Slopes with a Chinese person on the helmet, or Washington Wetbacks or Washington Micks or Washington Wops. Those examples you gave have nothing to do with it. The only reason the name has lasted so long is that it references a historically oppressed minority with little voice to complain with.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »

Next up will be the Dallas Cowboys  icon_twisted
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 11:06:45 PM »

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 11:11:34 PM »

and then...

Fighting Irish
Running Rebels
Ragin Cajuns
KC Chiefs
Atlanta Braves
Cleveland Indians
Atlanta Hawks
Chicago Blackhawks
FSU Seminoles

Of course we need to bring about 60 High Schools that have the Redskins name under the thumb of the McLiberalism Junta as well.

Refusing to bow to political correctness are the communists of this age.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:13:54 PM by Rip » Logged
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 11:40:09 PM »

Quote from: Rip on June 18, 2014, 11:11:34 PM

and then...

Fighting Irish
Running Rebels
Ragin Cajuns
KC Chiefs
Atlanta Braves
Cleveland Indians
Atlanta Hawks
Chicago Blackhawks
FSU Seminoles

Of course we need to bring about 60 High Schools that have the Redskins name under the thumb of the McLiberalism Junta as well.

While some controversy could be made out of those, none of them are generally considered a slur as is the case with redskin.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 11:46:44 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 18, 2014, 10:54:50 PM

Nice try...

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 12:03:46 AM »

Minority has lands forcibly taken from them and thousands of their people killed.
Minority is portrayed as savage and uneducated in new society's media for many years.
Finally able to educate some people about their past and get representation, minority goes to public and says, "could you at least not name one of your teams in your most popular leagues using a racist term? There are no teams named Wops, Kikes, Nips, Dagos, etc. Do us this one favor."

Freedom loving citizens say, "Whoa! We can't do that! That would be 'Politically Correct,' and that means it's BAD. Suck it up!"

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 01:23:52 AM »

Complete absurdity.

This honky cracker privileged white bread knuckle dragger wouldn't give 2 shits if a team was called "Palefaces"

Get over yourselves.

On second thought, maybe I will give 2 shits.......two can always play this stupid game.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:28:56 AM by Zekester » Logged

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 01:29:01 AM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 01:23:52 AM

This honky cracker privileged white bread knuckle dragger wouldn't give 2 shits if a team was called "Palefaces"

That makes it ok in Zeke's world.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:44:35 AM by Lee » Logged
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 01:32:55 AM »

Quote from: Lee on June 19, 2014, 01:29:01 AM

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 01:23:52 AM

That makes it ok Zeke's world.

Again...get over yourself.

OMG I'm being called a bad name!!!!  crybaby
....like as if stopping someone from calling you a name is going to somehow save humanity.

ABSURDITY.

Oh and by the way......like millions of other Americans I have some Indian blood in me somewhere  retard
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:46:34 AM by Zekester » Logged

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 01:49:15 AM »

I couldn't care less Zeke's, I just find your logic amazing. All the stupid crap I have seen you get upset at over the years, and yet you can't see why someone else might be upset just because you aren't. You really can't see how someone else might feel about it?
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 02:08:04 AM »

You're seriously gonna go there? Really??

Over a harmless football team name?????

Good God  Roll Eyes

Oh wait...I wasn't supposed to say God, huh?

crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby crybaby

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 02:17:00 AM »

Zeke is just being really disingenuous and arguing straw men.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 02:23:13 AM »

is that all?

I thought someone was gonna accuse me of bullying, too  icon_razz

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 02:29:09 AM »

Zeke, you have as much Indian blood in you as my neighbor's poodle.  White folks post Dances With Wolves love to tell everyone they're part Indian.  It makes them feel special.  By the way, let me guess.  Cherokee?  That's what most white folks shoot for.  

As for the rest of your rant, I've come to expect no less from you.  Actually, make that no more.  

P.S.  You'd have to actually be taken seriously by someone in order to be a believable bully.   icon_lol

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 02:37:56 AM »

and then...

Fighting Irish
Running Rebels
Ragin Cajuns
KC Chiefs
Atlanta Braves
Cleveland Indians
Atlanta Hawks
Chicago Blackhawks
FSU Seminoles

If you can't see the difference between calling a Blackhawk tribal member a Blackhawk versus a Redskin you're better off not bringing attention to that.

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 02:55:00 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2014, 02:37:56 AM

and then...

Fighting Irish
Running Rebels
Ragin Cajuns
KC Chiefs
Atlanta Braves
Cleveland Indians
Atlanta Hawks
Chicago Blackhawks
FSU Seminoles

If you can't see the difference between calling a Blackhawk tribal member a Blackhawk versus a Redskin you're better off not bringing attention to that.

That's actually named after a WW1 army division's nickname that itself was named after a chief not a tribe. 

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=46778
During World War I, McLaughlin had served as a commander in the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Division of the U.S. Army. Members of his division called themselves Black Hawks in honor of the Sauk Indian chief who sided with the British in the War of 1812. Surely, the Major felt, it would be a fitting name for the newest entry into the National Hockey League.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:57:30 AM by forgeforsaken » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 02:58:07 AM »

Ah, thanks for the correction.  That still isn't an inherently offensive name though.  It's a person's name.  And one with historical significance as opposed to a slur intended as derogatory for the majority of its existence.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:59:39 AM by hepcat » Logged

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 03:09:50 AM »

maybe the owner should keep the name but change the logo.

a picture of a sun-burned geek might work.

or maybe this
http://www.laurel-woods.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/woodsy_sunburn.jpg
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:13:16 AM by Zekester » Logged

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 04:09:36 AM »

Why is anyone arguing with Zeke? He doesn't care about slurs that hurt people. He just wants rich white people to be allowed to do whatever they want.

He'd probably be fine with changing the name of the team to the Washington Faggots.

Or the Washington Chinks.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 09:25:24 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 18, 2014, 10:54:50 PM

I'm guessing your joking but being a cowboy has nothing to do with race. Unfortunately this will be tied up in the courts for a long time. I wonder how long the team would keep their name if everyone started making merchandise without paying royalties. I bet they would drop their righteous anger pretty fast.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 09:27:35 AM »

I was going to suggest the Washington Congressmen but that's practically a slur in this day and age as well.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »

Quote from: Fireball on June 19, 2014, 04:09:36 AM

Why is anyone arguing with Zeke? He doesn't care about slurs that hurt people. He just wants rich white people to be allowed to do whatever they want.

He'd probably be fine with changing the name of the team to the Washington Faggots.

I'm obviously a minority on this forum, so do I get to cry and moan about your liberal privilege?

LOL people like you still don't see the absurdity in it all.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 12:12:15 PM »

If you're a conservative I don't see why you have a problem with this ruling, they aren't forcing anyone to change the name they are just making Redskin's merchandise into a free market.  If the team and the NFL want to compete they'll just need to make the highest quality jerseys at the best price.  Fair competition. Or are you folks in favor of government interference on markets now?
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 19, 2014, 12:12:15 PM

If you're a conservative I don't see why you have a problem with this ruling, they aren't forcing anyone to change the name they are just making Redskin's merchandise into a free market.  If the team and the NFL want to compete they'll just need to make the highest quality jerseys at the best price.  Fair competition. Or are you folks in favor of government interference on markets now?

you folks?

i'm offended by that.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 12:15:18 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 19, 2014, 12:12:15 PM

If you're a conservative I don't see why you have a problem with this ruling, they aren't forcing anyone to change the name they are just making Redskin's merchandise into a free market.  If the team and the NFL want to compete they'll just need to make the highest quality jerseys at the best price.  Fair competition. Or are you folks in favor of government interference on markets now?

you folks?

i'm offended by that.
good thing I'm not trying to trademark it then
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 12:50:21 PM »

The biggest problem I have with it is that we have a branch of the government deciding what is and isn't "offensive" based on speech. If you guys so clearly want to believe in the free market then why can't the USPTO sit back and watch the trademark wither away because the American people don't buy the products it's associated with? As it stands the people and our free market justify its existence. Sad but true.

Is the name offensive? Sure it is. But why should the government tell us what is and what isn't offensive when it comes to trademarks attached to a product?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 01:01:40 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 19, 2014, 12:50:21 PM

The biggest problem I have with it is that we have a branch of the government deciding what is and isn't "offensive" based on speech. If you guys so clearly want to believe in the free market then why can't the USPTO sit back and watch the trademark wither away because the American people don't buy the products it's associated with? As it stands the people and our free market justify its existence. Sad but true.

Is the name offensive? Sure it is. But why should the government tell us what is and what isn't offensive when it comes to trademarks attached to a product?

The government didn't just decide this on their own, a group of Native Americans brought suit against the trademark, and while our government is a majority rule, it is also tasked with the protection of the minority.   Here's Thomas Jefferson on it

All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will, to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate which would be oppression.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »

The biggest problem I have with it is that we have a branch of the government deciding what is and isn't "offensive" based on speech. If you guys so clearly want to believe in the free market then why can't the USPTO sit back and watch the trademark wither away because the American people don't buy the products it's associated with?  

Why is it is so difficult to understand that this is out and out racism.  Redskin is NOT a tribal name, nor is it a person's name.  It's a racist slur.  Indians have been trying to get it banned for ages.  This isn't a new endeavor created by a "PC crowd".  If there was a team called the New York Kikes or the San Diego Tar Babies, would that be okay?  

And the American people have repeatedly proven that they aren't ALWAYS going to do the right thing.  As a matter of fact, if the government DIDN'T step in from time to time, we'd still have lynchings, whites only water fountains and segregation in many areas.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:19:33 PM by hepcat » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on June 19, 2014, 01:01:40 PM

The government didn't just decide this on their own, a group of Native Americans brought suit against the trademark, and while our government is a majority rule, it is also tasked with the protection of the minority.   Here's Thomas Jefferson on it

All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will, to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate which would be oppression.

Exactly. Thankfully sometimes in this country we do things because it is the right thing to do instead of waiting for everyone to realize it. If not, women might still not have the right to vote, people would only be able to marry their own race, etc.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 01:24:40 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 11:52:24 AM

I'm obviously a minority on this forum, so do I get to cry and moan about your liberal privilege?

I'm surprised you get such strong wi-fi under that bridge.

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »

Quote from: Fireball on June 19, 2014, 01:24:40 PM

I'm surprised you managed to type that long a sentence without crying about your fingertips hurting  crybaby

Scraper already conveyed my feelings here. Not interested in getting the last word.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:42:49 PM by Zekester » Logged

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 01:46:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2014, 01:05:33 PM

The biggest problem I have with it is that we have a branch of the government deciding what is and isn't "offensive" based on speech. If you guys so clearly want to believe in the free market then why can't the USPTO sit back and watch the trademark wither away because the American people don't buy the products it's associated with?  

Why is it is so difficult to understand that this is out and out racism.  Redskin is NOT a tribal name, nor is it a person's name.  It's a racist slur.  Indians have been trying to get it banned for ages.  This isn't a new endeavor created by a "PC crowd".  If there was a team called the New York Kikes or the San Diego Tar Babies, would that be okay?  

And the American people have repeatedly proven that they aren't ALWAYS going to do the right thing.  As a matter of fact, if the government DIDN'T step in from time to time, we'd still have lynchings, whites only water fountains and segregation in many areas.

1. I never denied that it's offensive or racist.

2. Lynchings, whites only water fountains, and segregation are a far cry from a corporate logo and team name. In fact they're not even in the same ball park. We're not talking about basic human rights here, what we're talking about is hurting people's feelings. It's a slippery slope when the government starts making decisions based off of hurt feelings.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 01:46:50 PM »

Quote from: Zekester on June 19, 2014, 01:36:23 PM

Quote from: Fireball on June 19, 2014, 01:24:40 PM

Scraper already conveyed my feelings here. Not interested in getting the last word.

I object to that as well.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 19, 2014, 01:46:12 PM

2. Lynchings, whites only water fountains, and segregation are a far cry from a corporate logo and team name. In fact they're not even in the same ball park. We're not talking about basic human rights here, what we're talking about is hurting people's feelings. It's a slippery slope when the government starts making decisions based off of hurt feelings.

But why should larger groups get the protection of the crowd while smaller groups get left behind? You know if the name poked fun of Christians then this wouldn't stand because of the backlash. But Native Americans don't have the power to create a backlash like that. In those cases, there needs to be someone or some thing to act in their place.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »

The fact that Zekester agrees with you should be all the help you need to second guess your stance.   icon_lol

And I wasn't trying to Godwinize although it does sound like that's what happened.  I was simply trying to state that relying on people to do the right thing doesn't always work out for the best.  

Look, the government isn't shutting them down.  The US patent office is saying that they shouldn't be allowed to profit off something that demonizes a minority. They can still use the logo all they want.  They just won't profit off it as much.  

Edit:  teggy is on a roll.  I should just write "what he said" from now on.   icon_wink
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 02:03:13 PM by hepcat » Logged

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2014, 02:03:58 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 19, 2014, 01:46:12 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 19, 2014, 01:05:33 PM

1. I never denied that it's offensive or racist.

I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt but the fact that Zeke agrees with you could be a hint that you might be wrong on this one. smile
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: