http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 04:25:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Palin advises Romney to 'go rogue'; Gingrich says 'get tough'  (Read 932 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2012, 12:29:15 AM »

time for the rest of GOP to start piling on with advice for Mitt.  First up we got Sarah 'Moose Murderer' Palin:

Sarah Palin became the latest conservative to lend her two cents to the Republican ticket on Saturday, urging Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan to give the country a "come to Jesus moment."

"With so much at stake in this election, both Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan should 'go rogue' and not hold back from telling the American people the true state of our economy and national security," Palin told the conservative "Weekly Standard" in a statement published Saturday.

"America desperately needs to have a 'come to Jesus' moment in discussing our big dysfunctional, disconnected, and debt-ridden federal government," the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee continued, after urging the ticket to "find ways to break through the filter of the liberal media to communicate their message of reform."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/22/palin-advises-romney-go-rogue/?hpt=hp_t2

meanwhile, Newt 'Trampoline' Gingrich has his own advice:

Newt Gingrich on Friday urged Mitt Romney to go after President Barack Obama in next month's debates with a gusto the former House speaker knows well.

"When he walks in to debate Obama, he's got to be as tough with Obama as he was with me in Florida," Gingrich said in an interview on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight."

After all, Gingrich said, Romney "is not in a competition to be likeable."

At two debates in Florida last January amidst their bitter struggle for the GOP presidential nomination, Romney lit into Gingrich.

The two entered the Florida primary locked up in the polls. But after some heavy stumping - and arguably some debate thumping - Romney emerged on top in the vote count, beating Gingrich by 14 points and claiming the state's delegate haul.

With Romney trailing Obama in favorability, Gingrich encouraged Romney to play aggressively on the debate stage. The most recent CNN/ORC International Poll of likely voters, conducted earlier this month after the conclusion of both conventions, showed Obama with a 9 point advantage over Romney in their respective favorability ratings.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/22/gingrich-to-romney-do-to-obama-what-you-did-to-me/?hpt=hp_t2

at this point he should both for Romney v10.0.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 01:29:13 AM »

"go rogue" - does that even mean anything other than Palin making an idiot of herself? What kind of world are we living in where elite is a bad word and rogue is a good word?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 03:41:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2012, 12:29:15 AM

After all, Gingrich said, Romney "is not in a competition to be likeable."

...which says rather a lot about Gingrich's own failure. It's true that it's not a beauty contest, but Romney's high unlikability rating is a large part of his problem.

Two stark facts about presidents and the likability factor: In every presidential election since at least 1984, the candidate viewed as more likable won. Indeed, if current numbers hold, Mitt Romney would be the least popular person elected in that time.

At this stage in the campaign, according to data assembled by The Post’s polling team, voters had a more positive view of Walter Mondale in 1984 (47 percent viewed him favorably), Michael Dukakis in 1988 (50 percent favorable), George H.W. Bush in 1992 (53 percent favorable), and Bob Dole in 1996 (50 percent favorable) than they do of Romney.

I could go on, but you get the point — and the implication.

Indeed, Romney’s numbers are strikingly more dismal. The latest Post-ABC News poll has the share of voters viewing Romney favorably at a scant 40 percent. More than half, 51 percent, view him unfavorably, a gap that dwarfs that of other past candidates.

Meanwhile, on the related measure of which candidate seems more friendly and likable, President Obama trounced Romney 61 percent to 27 percent among registered voters, with margins slightly larger in tossup states and among independents. Even 33 percent of Republicans found Obama more likable.

Those numbers improved slightly after the RNC, but the man is still widely disliked.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 23, 2012, 01:29:13 AM

"go rogue" - does that even mean anything other than Palin making an idiot of herself? What kind of world are we living in where elite is a bad word and rogue is a good word?

So true....i'll be shocked if Romney (or any other GOP candidate for that matter) listens to anything that Palin says anymore. She is a surefire loser in any general election campaign. Though, I don't think that Romney can do any worse than he is already doing. It's incredible how he has completely turned this election into what should be a shoo-in for the GOP into a relative blowout for Obama. At this point, no matter how hard the Drudge Report and Fox News try, I don't think there is any saving this sinking ship.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »

Agreed -- Romney has done more to sink his own campaign than the Obamans could have ever pulled off. It's like he's running against himself...and losing. At some point the prophecy becomes self-fulfilling and the rats desert their sinking ship. I don't think we've quite reached that point yet. We still have the debates coming up (Romney's last chance?), and Israel could still start a war with Iran.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 08:59:23 PM »

What world are you all living in, Hetzy in particular.   Have you seen the polls lately? 

You all continue to amaze.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 09:08:58 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 23, 2012, 01:29:13 AM

"Going rogue" is supposedly Brit slang for unprotected anal sex.   So....yea...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 10:22:58 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on September 23, 2012, 08:59:23 PM

What world are you all living in, Hetzy in particular.   Have you seen the polls lately? 

You all continue to amaze.

Just in case anyone is wondering, now or whenever anyone needs to illustrate how Conservative media leaves its consumers wildly out of touch with reality, Eco-Logic has posted this snide, dismissive question at a time when Mitt Romney is slipping further behind in all but two swing states.  President Obama was already ahead among likely voters back in August and his popularity has only gone up through September.

Romney's countless campaign gaffes are also being reflected in polls about individual issues.  In a variety of national polls from CBS, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, and yes, even Fox News, Obama is polling ahead of Romney in questions on which candidate would be more trusted to handle health care, Social Security, foreign policy, and the economy.

Quote from: Reuters
Obama led Romney by double-digit margins on a range of personal attributes, from likability to whether he will protect American jobs to whether he appears presidential. Romney only led on the question of whether he was a "man of faith," by 43 percent to 34 percent.

Romney is also the most widely disliked presidential candidate in at least the last twenty-five years.

In other words, the only way Eco-Logic could think it was a good idea to taunt us all with Mitt Romney's amazing poll numbers is if he was completely ignorant of how things have been trending for the last several weeks, but *believed* he was well-informed anyway.  Anyone want to hazard a guess on which media outlets he's getting all of his "information" from?

-Autistic Angel
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 11:42:56 PM »

Lol Autistic.  Guess we will see.  You shouldn't claim to know where I get my information though.

Definitely not Maddow, Olberman and those bafoons that is for sure.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 12:34:58 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on September 23, 2012, 11:42:56 PM

Lol Autistic.  Guess we will see.  You shouldn't claim to know where I get my information though.

When even other GOP members start commenting negatively on their candidate's campaign, you know he's got a serious problem.

I'm with Autistic Angel, though, I am completely at a loss where you're getting your information. I haven't seen any national poll, nor statistical analysis of state polls that shows Romney ahead. Obama is starting to pull outside of the statistical margin of error...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:48 AM »

He's well and truly fucked. Somehow, the Republicans have managed a more ruined and incompetent campaign than the Democrats did with Gore/Leiberman. I'm actually sort of impressed. It's hard work to be that bad at something.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 01:31:47 AM »

I don't know that anyone would claim to know where you get your "information".
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 02:12:09 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 23, 2012, 10:22:58 PM

Just in case anyone is wondering, now or whenever anyone needs to illustrate how Conservative media leaves its consumers wildly out of touch with reality,

I admit I was puzzled, because I have seen the polls lately and they're not ambiguous. Romney is behind and losing ground in most of the swing states as well as in the national popular vote. A new poll today put him 5 points behind in OH. (Without OH, he has no path to 270.)

Of course polls can be wrong and there's still time for Romney's campaign to pull out a turnaround, but I can't fathom how Eco could think it's all a liberal media conspiracy or something.

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 02:32:41 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on September 24, 2012, 02:12:09 AM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 23, 2012, 10:22:58 PM

Just in case anyone is wondering, now or whenever anyone needs to illustrate how Conservative media leaves its consumers wildly out of touch with reality,

I admit I was puzzled, because I have seen the polls lately and they're not ambiguous. Romney is behind and losing ground in most of the swing states as well as in the national popular vote. A new poll today put him 5 points behind in OH. (Without OH, he has no path to 270.)

Of course polls can be wrong and there's still time for Romney's campaign to pull out a turnaround, but I can't fathom how Eco could think it's all a liberal media conspiracy or something.

Speaking of Ohio, absentee voting (aka, vote-by-mail) starts the 1st week of October. And the state sent applications to every registered voter. All you had to do was send the form back signed with your DL# on it or last four of your SSN and they send you a ballot in the mail (and you can't vote in person). It's likely Romney has 2 weeks (or so) to turn it around or people here are going to start voting...
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »

Quote from: gellar on September 24, 2012, 01:31:47 AM

I don't know that anyone would claim to know where you get your "information".

I don't know Eco Logic but I'm going to guess he lives in a red state that isolates itself from moderate political discussions. It's probably right wing all the time, thus his view that the polls are somehow different. This is just a guess though since he hasn't offered up anything to back up his poll stance. I'm honestly interested to know if there are valid poll numbers showing Romney hanging in at a tie or even having a lead. When Fox News starts posting articles about how Obama is pulling ahead in swing states you know Romney is in trouble.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »

Lol Autistic.  Guess we will see.  You shouldn't claim to know where I get my information though.

Especially since you don't even know.  Really, cite your evidence.  Otherwise it's just hearsay.

edit:  by the way, this cracked me up when I realized that clicking on any link for contributing data does not actually take you to the source of that data...but to an article from www.examiner.com that supposedly supports that data.   icon_lol
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:03:24 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »

I never claimed Romney is leading or anything like that, I simply responded to Hetzy's claim that Romney has turned this into a "blowout for Obama", which is rubbish as of right now.

The last Gallup poll shows it as a heat.  Rasmussen seemed to be even more in favor of Romney.  I'd never claim Romney has it in the bag, as there exist enough people that RELY on handouts to make that nearly impossible, all I did was respond to the notion that it's in the bag for the idiot in there now.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 07:02:07 PM »

I'm all about a good competition between parties and candidates, but that starts at the very beginning when they decide who they put on the field for that election.  That last 2 national elections the Republicans have run, including this one, have been terrible.  They can't even get out of their own way.  The supporting cast they put together seems mostly out of touch.  They have a hard time even deciding what they are amongst themselves, let alone running a national campaign.  It used to be the other way around when I was growing up.  The democrats couldn't get their shit together, while the republicans always seemed to be buttoned up when it mattered.  

It's frustrating for me because I want to see a good competitive election process.  Macain/Palin and Romney/Ryan both represent a fragmented, dysfunctional republican party that can't even hold things together for 4-5 months.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:05:10 PM by Roguetad » Logged
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on September 24, 2012, 06:56:48 PM

I'd never claim Romney has it in the bag, as there exist enough people that RELY on handouts to make that nearly impossible
Oh boy.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »

Damn straight!  As soon as Obama gives me some of that government cheese, I'll be puttin' his ass back in office.  Work is for suckers.

47 percent?  nah.  47 perSENSE!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 07:21:14 PM »

How about some actual research on the topic? 

The welfare system is an extremely dynamic system. In an "average" year, about one-half of the AFDC caseload leaves the welfare rolls. The best available estimates indicate that between one-half and two-thirds of those who leave do so because they have found paid employment. A small percentage (less than 15 percent) leave for marriage and the remainder leave for a variety of other reasons. Those who leave are replaced by new applicants who have never received assistance before and by families who have received assistance previously and are returning to receive assistance again.

The majority of families who leave the welfare system do so after a relatively short period of time -- about half leave within a year; 70 percent within two years and almost 90 percent within five years. But many return almost as quickly as they left -- about 45 percent return within a year and 70 percent return by the end of five years.

When one takes into account all of this movement on and off the welfare rolls, only a moderate fraction of recipients who ever turn to the welfare system for support end up spending relatively long periods of time on the welfare rolls.

Doesn't seem to support the welfare queen argument very well.  That speech was given off the old AFDC research.  Given the current TANF data, US total cases averaged approximately 4.4 million, or less than 2% of US pop, through last year, making the 5 year sticking rate (the current federal maximum benefit limit) somewhere in the range of 450k, or less than 0.2% of the U.S. population. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »

Wait...so I'm NOT getting a lifetime supply of gub'ment cheese?

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 07:33:33 PM »

Woah, woah, woah. We don't need any of those fact thingys getting in the way of an argument!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 07:41:56 PM »

I'm so sorry.  It won't happen again.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on September 24, 2012, 07:03:31 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on September 24, 2012, 06:56:48 PM

I'd never claim Romney has it in the bag, as there exist enough people that RELY on handouts to make that nearly impossible
Oh boy.

Lulz.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on September 24, 2012, 07:02:07 PM

It used to be the other way around when I was growing up.  The democrats couldn't get their shit together, while the republicans always seemed to be buttoned up when it mattered.

It was always true that Republicans are evil and Democrats are incompetent. If the Republicans are now evil and incompetent, they're horning in on the opposition's turf.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: