http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:49:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama Memo: OK to Kill Americans Without Trial or Charge.  (Read 470 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:17:13 PM »

Ok. Raise your hand if you thought it would be a democratic president who greenlights the killing of American citizens without trial or charge? 

Go Hope!
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »

Taken on an individual basis, both drone warfare and the Patriot Act represent slippery slopes. Combine the two and you get a fucking waterslide.

I do find the timing of the release of this memo suspect, however. It feels orchestrated towards a larger purpose.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:19:33 PM »

Definitely not something I agree with.  I strongly disagreed when Bush Jr. was doing something similar.  I had hoped Obama would stop it, but instead he's approving it.   icon_cry

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 06, 2013, 02:19:33 PM

Definitely not something I agree with.  I strongly disagreed when Bush Jr. was doing something similar.  I had hoped Obama would stop it, but instead he's approving it.   icon_cry

Expanding it actually.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:17:42 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 06, 2013, 03:35:28 PM

Expanding it actually.

This and the NDAA are the two reasons why I did not vote for Obama.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »

Expanding it actually.

I would like to point out that this was a series of memos...and an incomplete series to boot.  I'd like to see how this unfolds a bit more before I declare the man to be Satan.  Yes, on the surface I disagree wholeheartedly with this process.  But I think there's more to come.  It may get worse, to be fair.  But I want to wait until all the facts are in.

Raise your hand if you thought it would be a democratic president who greenlights the killing of American citizens without trial or charge? 

You believe Republican administrations are more prone to things like this?   icon_twisted
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:43:56 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 05:02:12 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 06, 2013, 04:38:45 PM

Expanding it actually.

I would like to point out that this was a series of memos...and an incomplete series to boot.  I'd like to see how this unfolds a bit more before I declare the man to be Satan.  Yes, on the surface I disagree wholeheartedly with this process.  But I think there's more to come.  It may get worse, to be fair.  But I want to wait until all the facts are in.

Raise your hand if you thought it would be a democratic president who greenlights the killing of American citizens without trial or charge? 

You believe Republican administrations are more prone to things like this?   icon_twisted

I was pandering to my audience. slywink
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 05:40:24 PM »

While I personally don't have much of a problem with it, I can definitely understand the point of view of those who do.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »

I think they should expand it to include stars who should be on the next rocket to the sun.  I bet we'll start seeing better quality acting out of Hollywood then...

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »

Death penalty based on facial recognition software? But you people all look alike.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 07:57:35 PM »

If the Bush administration claimed the right to detain and torture anyone it wanted to at “black sites” in insalubrious parts of the world, the Obama administration has arguably gone even further, claiming the right to kill anyone anywhere whom it deems to be an enemy combatant, including United States citizens like Anwar al-Awlaki and his teenage son, with long-range drone strikes piloted from afar.

The key concepts repeated throughout the document, over and over again, are these: If the targeted person is “a U.S. citizen who is a senior operational leader of al-Qaida or an associated force,” and if “an informed, high-level official of the U.S. government has determined that the targeted individual poses an imminent threat of violent attack against the United States,” and if the person’s “capture is infeasible,” and if the operation is to be conducted in accordance with “applicable law of war principles,” then it’s OK to kill that person. None of these reasonable-sounding terms are ever satisfactorily defined, and the basic mode of argumentation is to repeat them over and over again until all meaning and sense disappear.

Salon.com
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 09:16:34 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 06, 2013, 05:41:22 PM

I think they should expand it to include stars who should be on the next rocket to the sun.  I bet we'll start seeing better quality acting out of Hollywood then...

Poor Nick Cage. frown

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »

maybe he's targeted the Pope too, that's why he's going into hiding biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: