http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:50:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama demands Congress end oil, gas subsidies  (Read 367 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:00:44 AM »

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/01/10548260-obama-demands-congress-end-oil-gas-subsidies

President Barack Obama, turning his political sights on snowy New Hampshire, demanded that Congress eliminate oil and gas company subsidies that he called an outrageous government "giveaway." Though politically a long shot, the White House believes the idea resonates at a time of high gasoline prices.

"Let's put every single member of Congress on record: you can stand with oil companies or you can stand up for the American people," Obama said.

Obama has repeatedly called for an end to about $4 billion in annual tax breaks and subsidies for oil and gas companies, government support that Obama has said is unwarranted at a time of burgeoning profits and rising domestic production.

"It's outrageous. It's inexcusable. I'm asking Congress: eliminate this oil industry giveaway right away," he said.

of course the Republicans are against it.  still, if the oil companies are making the big bucks then they shouldn't really need the governments money, should they?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:13:20 AM »

I'm idly curious how the oil industry became a Republican redoubt in the first place. Which came first, Big Oil or red states?

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:20:11 AM »

But Newt is promising $2.50 a gallon gas if elected...

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:28:53 AM »

Won't this drive the companies to pass the cost on to us any ways?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:48:45 PM »

President Obama says vehicle fuel economy standards set under his administration and better cars built by a resurgent U.S. auto industry will save money at the gas pump over the long term, a counterpoint to Republican criticism of his energy policy.

In his weekly radio and online address Saturday, Obama said Detroit automakers are on track to build cars that average nearly 55 miles per gallon by 2025, doubling current mileage standards.

"That means folks will be able to fill up every two weeks instead of every week, saving the typical family more than $8,000 at the pump over time," he said. "That's a big deal, especially as families are yet again feeling the pinch from rising gas prices."

During the past several weeks, Obama has been eager to appear aggressive in the face of rising gasoline prices even as he reminds audiences that there is no simple, immediate solution that will reverse the current spike in prices.

"What's happening in Detroit will make a difference. But it won't solve everything," Obama said. "There's no silver bullet for avoiding spikes in gas prices every year."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/03/obama-fuel-efficiency-answer-to-rising-gas-prices/

That's great and all, but those of us already struggling at the pumps can hardly afford to buy a new fuel efficient car. 

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 03, 2012, 01:48:45 PM

President Obama says vehicle fuel economy standards set under his administration and better cars built by a resurgent U.S. auto industry will save money at the gas pump over the long term, a counterpoint to Republican criticism of his energy policy.

In his weekly radio and online address Saturday, Obama said Detroit automakers are on track to build cars that average nearly 55 miles per gallon by 2025, doubling current mileage standards.

"That means folks will be able to fill up every two weeks instead of every week, saving the typical family more than $8,000 at the pump over time," he said. "That's a big deal, especially as families are yet again feeling the pinch from rising gas prices."

During the past several weeks, Obama has been eager to appear aggressive in the face of rising gasoline prices even as he reminds audiences that there is no simple, immediate solution that will reverse the current spike in prices.

"What's happening in Detroit will make a difference. But it won't solve everything," Obama said. "There's no silver bullet for avoiding spikes in gas prices every year."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/03/obama-fuel-efficiency-answer-to-rising-gas-prices/

That's great and all, but those of us already struggling at the pumps can hardly afford to buy a new fuel efficient car. 

Actually, a lot of people are doing exactly that.

Fordís chief sales analyst, Erich Merkle, said underlying demand for new vehicles was strong enough that gas prices were not deterring consumers from buying. They are increasingly choosing smaller, more fuel-efficient cars, he said.

Many people put off replacing their vehicles during the recession and are now in a position where it needs to be replaced. The average age of a vehicle on the road today is 10.8 years, the highest on record, according to the research firm R.L. Polk.

I only burn about 6 gallons a month myself. My wife drives a lot more, but since her Fit is averaging 35 mpg the extra cost is not ruinous -- a fillup has gone from $28 to $32, so that's an increase of about $16 per month. Now, the guy ahead of me who paid $68 to fill up his SUV last week probably has a different perspective...and a good incentive to dump the guzzler.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »

Blocked by the Republicans:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/29/politics/oil-subsidies/index.html

Senate Republicans on Thursday blocked a Democratic measure championed by President Barack Obama to end tax breaks for the major oil companies.

The procedural vote of 51-47, which failed to reach the needed threshold of 60 in favor, killed the measure, which was given little chance of eventually winning approval in the Republican-controlled House. Four Democrats opposed the bill while one Republican supported it.

Obama and Democrats had pushed it in an attempt to gain political advantage as rising gas prices continue to hurt and anger American voters in an election year.

In remarks shortly before the Senate voted, Obama said the nation will be watching to see where Congress stands on the issue.

"With record profits and rising production, I'm not worried about the big oil companies," Obama said in the White House Rose Garden. "... I think it's time they got by without more help from taxpayers, who are having a tough enough time paying their bills and filling up their tanks."

After the vote, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney labeled the result "unfortunate."

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 12:45:53 AM »

The requirement that anything of substance have the support of 60 Senators in order to pass the Senate is an unprecedented assault on the democratic nature of our government and, in my opinion, the key underlying cause of most of our current public dissatisfaction with the political system.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: