http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 12:53:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Korea threatens final destruction of South Korea (now with Uncle killing!)  (Read 5127 times)
Ralph-Wiggum
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 27, 2013, 06:49:34 PM

That soldier looks like he's about 14 years old.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »

A real show of strength!

North Korea: US Stealth Bombers Fly Over South

The US military has flown two B-2 stealth bombers over South Korea in what it called a "deterrence" mission following threats from the North.

The two nuclear-capable planes flew a 13,000-mile round trip from an air base in Missouri, dropping a dummy bomb on a target range in the South.

It comes after state television in North Korea said the country's military had been ordered to be ready to strike US bases in Guam, Hawaii and mainland America.

The planes were taking part in a joint South Korea-US military exercise that has inflamed tensions with Pyongyang, which has threatened to unleash an "all-out war" backed by nuclear weapons.

"This .... demonstrates the United States' ability to conduct long range, precision strikes quickly and at will," the US military said in a statement.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 05:42:31 PM »

You have to love the fact that those things never forward deploy.  They fly all of their missions from Whiteman AFB in Missouri. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »

Bah! They're not stealthy! I can see them just fine!

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 06:00:32 PM »

More like:

AMIRITE RAYDOD?
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2013, 07:41:50 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 28, 2013, 06:00:32 PM

More like:

AMIRITE RAYDOD?

icon_lol

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »

North Korea puts rockets on standby as US official warns regime is no 'paper tiger'

North Korea put its rocket units on standby Friday to attack U.S. military bases in South Korea and the Pacific, after repeated threats and one day after two American stealth bombers flew over the Korean Peninsula in a military exercise.

A U.S. official warned that the isolated communist state is “not a paper tiger” and its reaction should not be dismissed as “pure bluster.”

According to the North Korea's official KCNA news agency, the country's leader Kim Jong Un “judged the time has come to settle accounts with the U.S. imperialists in view of the prevailing situation” at a midnight meeting of top generals, Reuters reported.

The latest threat comes one day after two nuclear-capable stealth bombers flew from Missouri to drop inert munitions on a range in South Korea as part of a major military exercise.

The U.S. official emphasized the danger posed by North Korea’s military and the unpredictable nature of its 30-year-old leader.

“North Korea is not a paper tiger so it wouldn't be smart to dismiss its provocative behavior as pure bluster. What's not clear right now is how much risk Kim Jong Un is willing to run to show the world and domestic elites that he's a tough guy,” said the official, who asked not to be named. “His inexperience is certain -- his wisdom is still very much in question.”

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2013, 05:52:50 PM »

They escalate. We escalate, justifying their further escalation. Meanwhile, there is a kid surrounded by old men who treat people like pawns in their war games instead of human beings that deserve a chance at freedom. It's rather unfortunate how often war and blind patriotism are glamorized.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 11:15:58 PM »

I just finished reading Escape from Camp 14 which is a pretty awesome book. The regime really needs to be taken out. If Iraq deserved regime change then NK definitely deserves it after over 50 years. I almost wish that they would go ahead and invade and trigger their own destruction, even if there would be some casualties in the beginning.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2013, 02:49:32 AM »

Yeah, that Iraq liberation worked out so well in the end...for Iran.

The Chinese could remove the NK regime simply by enforcing the letter of international law and tightening the border screws. But China doesn't want to deal with the resulting basket case any more than SK or the US want to. Geopolitically, the status quo is better than collapse as long as the country stays isolated and contained. Sucks for the NK people, although by all reports they don't realize how bad they've got it relative to the rest of Asia.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2013, 03:20:09 AM »

I have to think that they know things are bad,  but not to what extent.  When they've lived their lives under a totalitarian government with a near complete block of the outside world,  they have no idea how bad it is there.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2013, 07:40:35 PM »

Nukes are our country's 'life'

One of North Korea's top decision-making bodies is setting guidelines that call nuclear weapons "the nation's life" that won't be traded even for "billions of dollars,” The Associated Press reported.

The statement Sunday came after a plenary meeting of the central committee of the ruling Workers' Party attended by leader Kim Jong Un and other officials, the AP said.

It also followed a declaration on Saturday that it was entering a "state of war" with South Korea, the latest in a string of increasingly belligerent outbursts from the isolated state.

Sunday’s statement says nuclear weapons aren't "goods for getting U.S. dollars" or a "political bargaining chip." Outside analysts have said Pyongyang raises worries over its nuclear ambitions to spur nuclear-disarmament-for-aid talks, the AP said.

Axe and Violin-ce

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »

US F-22 fighter jets set to join South Korea military exercise

The United States sent F-22 stealth fighter jets to South Korea on Sunday to join military exercises in a move aimed at further deterring threats from North Korea against its neighbor.

And on Monday South Korean President Park Geun-hye appeared to give her country's military permission to strike back at any attack from the North without further word from Seoul, saying she took the North's escalating threats "very seriously," South Korean news agency Yonhap reported.

"As commander-in-chief of the armed forces, I will trust the military's judgment on abrupt and surprise provocations by North Korea," she said, according to Yonhap.

Master Sgt. Kevin J. Gruenwald / U.S. Air Force via Reuters, file

The deployment and Park's remarks came as tensions approached an all-time high between Pyongyang and Washington.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2013, 05:34:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 31, 2013, 07:40:35 PM

WTF is this?  Anti-violinist propaganda?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »

apparently, our soldiers are always armed with hatchets, I guess. 

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2013, 03:55:22 PM »

Quote from: Caine on April 02, 2013, 03:33:16 PM

apparently, our soldiers are always armed with hatchets, I guess.

Yes

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »

I keeps seeing another thread with "North" in the subject nearby and for some reason I keep getting "North Dakota threatens 'final destruction' of South Korea" in my head....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 02, 2013, 04:58:12 PM

I keeps seeing another thread with "North" in the subject nearby and for some reason I keep getting "North Dakota threatens 'final destruction' of South Korea" in my head....

and they probably could do good on that threat  icon_lol

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »

I really wonder what NK's endgame with this is.  It seems like this is far beyond the typical saber rattling.

Kerry said yesterday the US won't tolerate a Nuclear capable NK and I wonder if that means we'll be bombing that site in the next 6-12 months.  And if we do that, does that mean open war on the peninsula again?

Read an article that posed 3 positions, one of them being 'NK called off the truce, so we're technically at war again so the US can do whatever it wants'.  That's a gross oversimplification, but I really hope this doesn't come to actual fighting.

Though I'm not sure how NK can back away from this without it doing so.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »

I've posted this elsewhere, I'm sure.  But anyone who finds NK even remotely interesting should watch the great Shane Smith from vice tv as he hauls his ass around that country.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2013, 01:10:47 PM »

I heard part of an interview on Fresh Air yesterday with some professor who studies North/South Korea relations. There is apparently a large industrial complex in North Korea that sends goods to South Korea and employs many South Korean workers. It makes up an important part of the North Korean economy. The professor stated that you didn't need to start worrying as long as that complex continued to work as usual. Well, today North Korea stopped the South Korean workers from entering that complex.

North Korea on Wednesday stirred up fresh unease in Northeast Asia, blocking hundreds of South Koreans from entering a joint industrial complex that serves as an important symbol of cooperation between the two countries.

North Korea's decision Wednesday to prevent South Korean workers and managers from entering the Kaesong Industrial Complex, which sits on the North's side of the border but houses operations of scores of South Korean companies, is a tangible sign of the tensions between the two sides.

It's also a move that could end up hurting Pyongyang financially, since Kaesong is considered to be an important source of hard currency for Kim's regime.

More than 50,000 North Koreans work in the zone, producing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of goods each year. Those workers earn on average $134 a month, of which North Korean authorities take about 45% in various taxes.

The North had threatened at the weekend to shut down the industrial complex.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2013, 07:24:52 PM »

Yeah, I heard the same thing last night and then news that it was happening this morning on NPR.  It's almost as if baby Kim is listening to NPR...

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:27 PM »

Found a good infographic, let's see if the link works.

Hmmm, apparently we don't have bigimg tags here, so here's the link to an actual readable version:

http://nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/northkorea1200a.jpg

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2013, 12:27:42 AM »

I saw somewhere that the largest circle is experimental (used for satellites, not missles0 and that NK can't actually hit the US with any predictability.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2013, 08:18:50 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on April 03, 2013, 01:10:47 PM

I heard part of an interview on Fresh Air yesterday with some professor who studies North/South Korea relations. There is apparently a large industrial complex in North Korea that sends goods to South Korea and employs many South Korean workers. It makes up an important part of the North Korean economy. The professor stated that you didn't need to start worrying as long as that complex continued to work as usual. Well, today North Korea stopped the South Korean workers from entering that complex.

North Korea on Wednesday stirred up fresh unease in Northeast Asia, blocking hundreds of South Koreans from entering a joint industrial complex that serves as an important symbol of cooperation between the two countries.

North Korea's decision Wednesday to prevent South Korean workers and managers from entering the Kaesong Industrial Complex, which sits on the North's side of the border but houses operations of scores of South Korean companies, is a tangible sign of the tensions between the two sides.

It's also a move that could end up hurting Pyongyang financially, since Kaesong is considered to be an important source of hard currency for Kim's regime.

More than 50,000 North Koreans work in the zone, producing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of goods each year. Those workers earn on average $134 a month, of which North Korean authorities take about 45% in various taxes.

The North had threatened at the weekend to shut down the industrial complex.

they've updated the article:

North Korea stirred up fresh unease in Northeast Asia early Thursday, threatening attacks by a "smaller, lighter and diversified" nuclear force and warning, "The moment of explosion is approaching fast."

The new threat came after the North Koreans locked South Korean workers out of a joint factory complex and announced plans to restart a nuclear reactor it shut down five years ago. Meanwhile, the United States announced it was sending ballistic missile defenses to Guam, a Pacific territory that's home to U.S. naval and air bases.

"The moment of explosion is approaching fast. No one can say a war will break out in Korea or not and whether it will break out today or tomorrow," North Korea's state news agency KCNA declared in its latest broadside. "The responsibility for this grave situation entirely rests with the U.S. administration and military warmongers keen to encroach upon the DPRK's sovereignty and bring down its dignified social system with brigandish logic."

Because I can,
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2013, 09:01:42 PM »

I really want to know from Kato what it's like over there as he seems to be the best 'expert' on this topic.
So Kato if you could can you provide some answers / feedback on the following:

How do the SK soldiers feel really? Are they willing to defend?

What are your feelings on the SK and US forces to actually repel NK forces coming across the DMZ

Obviously no one wants conflict but do you think the SK people would support a conflict if pushed

Thanks,
Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »

I think Mini-Kim looks like a shaved koala bear

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2013, 01:01:43 AM »

This really isn't looking good at all.

Hepcat, thank you for the vice link, that was very interesting.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2013, 02:41:19 AM »

Heard on the radio today that the Rodman trip was tied to Vice, the guys that did the previous behind-the-curtain video series.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »

I'm guessing that Shane's not allowed to ever return after his rather scathing report on the country in the video series linked above, so they had to find some way to get an update on the country since baby Kim came into power.  Since it's well documented that he's a huge basketball fan, this was probably their best "in".  Hopefully we'll get an updated series on the state of things in the near future.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2013, 07:14:55 AM »

North Korea Warns Embassies of Conflict Risk as Missiles Move

North Korea has asked embassies in Pyongyang that might wish to get staff out if there is a war to submit plans to it by April 10, Britain said on Friday, as it upped the pressure as part of a war of words that has set the Korean peninsula on edge.

Initial reports by Russia's Foreign Ministry and China's Xinhua news agency suggested that North Korea had suggested that embassies should consider closing because of the risk of conflict.

The request came amid a military buildup by the United States in South Korea following the North's warnings that war was inevitable due to U.N. sanctions imposed for a nuclear test and what it terms "hostile" U.S. troop drills with South Korea.

"We believe they have taken this step as part of their continuing rhetoric that the U.S. poses a threat to them," Britain's Foreign Office said in a statement after the reports from Russia and China.

A British diplomatic official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that European Union embassies in Pyongyang had been summoned to deliver their evacuation plans.

Under the Vienna Convention that governs diplomatic missions, host governments are required to facilitate the exit of embassy staff in the event of conflict.

Because I can,
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2013, 07:32:48 PM »

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2013, 11:05:59 PM »

N. Korea may be able to deliver nuke, Pentagon intel

The Pentagon's intelligence arm has assessed with "moderate confidence" that North Korea has the ability to deliver a nuclear weapon with a ballistic missile though the reliability is believed to be "low."

Disclosed first by a congressman at a hearing on Thursday and then confirmed to CNN by the Defense Department, the assessment by the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) is the clearest acknowledgment yet by the United States about potential advances in North Korea's nuclear program.

The surprise development comes amid heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula. North Korea has unleashed a torrent of dramatic threats against the United States and South Korea in recent weeks, including that of a possible nuclear strike.

The Obama administration calculates a test launch of mobile ballistic missiles could come at any time. But a senior administration official said there is no indication that missiles believed being readied for tests have been armed with any nuclear capability.

Rep. Doug Lamborn, R-Colorado, read from an unclassified version of the intelligence assessment at a House Armed Services Committee hearing.

"DIA assess with moderate confidence the North currently has nuclear weapons capable of delivery by ballistic missiles, however, the reliability will be low."

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2013, 11:27:12 PM »

I guess Little Fatty was worried about being upstaged today:

North Korea turned up the temperature yet another degree on its neighbors Monday, warning that it would not give any advance notice before attacking South Korea.

"Our retaliatory action will start without any notice from now," the North said in a statement carried by its official news agency, KCNA.

North Korea said it was responding to insults from the"puppet authorities" in the South, claiming that there had been a rally against North Korea in Seoul, the South Korean capital. It called the rally a "monstrous criminal act."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/world/asia/north-korea-ultimatum/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »

I remember when his dad pulled the same stunts.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2013, 04:04:35 AM »

Quote from: ATB on March 26, 2013, 10:03:22 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on March 26, 2013, 09:30:06 PM

Yeahhh, that's a hornet's nest you don't want to poke. The whole country is a paranoid armed camp. They could roll over Seoul in a matter of hours.

Please. They will not risk Canada's wrath. 

But in all seriousness, don't take away from SK's military capability. It's far more advanced and capable than NKs...but sheer numbers? Yeah you may be right.

The RCMP have been notified - you've been tagged. Avoid trips to the Great White North - we have plenty of feral beavers that will strike you down.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2013, 04:25:25 AM »

Because I can,
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2013, 11:28:25 AM »

Quote from: Roman on April 04, 2013, 09:01:42 PM

I really want to know from Kato what it's like over there as he seems to be the best 'expert' on this topic.
So Kato if you could can you provide some answers / feedback on the following:

How do the SK soldiers feel really? Are they willing to defend?

What are your feelings on the SK and US forces to actually repel NK forces coming across the DMZ

Obviously no one wants conflict but do you think the SK people would support a conflict if pushed

Thanks,
Roman

I recently did a year over there, was there when Kim Jong Il died. I never talked to any of the military just civilians. Civilians couldn't care less, it's just more of the same to them, Il's death caused almost no reaction, and this is just more idle threats.

Although we exercised (as in war games) with their military sometimes, can't say anything to their state of readiness.

Our forces expect Seoul to fall almost immediately. They pretty much expect NK to make a pretty big dent before we can get things stabilized. Not only would there be a large invasion force, they think there would get their special forces in behind to cause trouble.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:29:56 AM by Lee » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2013, 08:31:07 PM »

since NK has been quiet lately, here's something to pass the time:

Because I can,
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: