http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 05:53:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Easy Day  (Read 752 times)
USMC Kato
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2012, 03:27:46 AM »

Former Navy SEAL Matt Bissonnette's "wrote" the book No Easy Day about the mission to kill Osama Bin Laden. Its selling pretty well, but the problem is that it contains classified information. Apparently for this former squid, the almighty dollar compromised his integrity and his top secret clearance.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/09/04/160571683/pentagon-unhappy-with-no-easy-day-as-book-on-bin-laden-raid-tops-charts

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:36:21 AM »

I was wondering how they are able to bypass the NDA...at least I figured their work was top secret and not available to be put into novels?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »

I read that the proceeds from the book were going to a charity for the families of deceased soldiers.  I wonder if that was his intention all along, or if it was a more recent decision after he realized he was wiping his feet on his military code of honor and selling out his fellow soldiers?

No sympathy for the guy on my end either way. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »

Considering the government can pretty much do what it wants, when it wants these days, and they didn't block the sales of the book...makes me think they want us all to read it, regardless of what they are actually saying.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »

Ordered this and will probably be reading it on the plane tomorrow.  Looking forward to it.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:11:15 PM »

I'm no spook, but I didn't see anything classified or anything that even remotely compromises anything. Unless a picture and description of his kit is a national security issue.

And let's not judge the guy. The 'majority' of the profits are going to wounded warrior programs...
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:50:24 PM »

Anybody (Military or civiliain) that has or did have a TS clearance knows that what is contained in the book is classified information. It's cut and dry.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:02:31 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on September 10, 2012, 09:50:24 PM

Anybody (Military or civiliain) that has or did have a TS clearance knows that what is contained in the book is classified information. It's cut and dry.

Do you mean just basic stuff like how he went from one building to the next and who they killed and where in the compound?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 02:25:06 PM »

I highly doubt that's the only information offered in the book.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 10, 2012, 09:11:15 PM

And let's not judge the guy. The 'majority' of the profits are going to wounded warrior programs...

No, they're not.  The programs have refused all profits.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 11, 2012, 02:25:06 PM

I highly doubt that's the only information offered in the book.

That's why I'm asking...what type of info is considered hush hush.  I'm not an uber military buff, but he didn't spend a lot of time talking about tactics, or intelligence sources, or anything of the like that seemed anything any more damaging than what you might see in a hollywood movie about SEALS.

Unless, what is possibly hinted at is what Kato is referring to.  For example, how deployments work, or the fact that they were called in and how they set up to kill the pirates for that US ship that was hijacked.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »

I haven't read the book and the Pentagon is being tight lipped about what may be considered classified in the book from everything I've heard/read.  But I'm guessing it's more about the training a SEAL undergoes, the protocols they have to follow in combat, etc..  Things that aren't made public knowledge simply because you don't want the enemy to know how you are trained to react in combat situations.

A Rear Admiral had this to say about the matter:

Meanwhile, in an internal message to his command entitled "The Cost of Disclosure," Rear Admiral Sean Pybus, who heads Naval Special Warfare Command (NSW), criticized SEALs whom he said had violated the command's ethos.

"We do NOT advertise the nature of our work, NOR do we seek recognition for our actions," Pybus wrote to his command in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by ABC News.

"I am disappointed, embarrassed and concerned", writes Prybus. "Today, we find former SEALs headlining positions in a Presidential campaign; hawking details about a mission against Enemy Number 1; and generally selling other aspects of NSW training and operations."

Aside from hurting NSW's reputation and security, Pybus said "the security of our Force and Families is also put at risk by the release of sensitive information" and said enemies can gather information and NSW details that "expose us to unnecessary danger."

If this had been an expose of injustice or corruption within the military, it would be one thing.  But this was just a blatant attempt to cash in by this soldier.  

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »

Finished the book this morning.  I probably learned two things outside of the mission details themselves that I didn't know or assume:

1) Seals use NVGs with 4 tubes; that seems pretty cool.
2) The change of preferred insertion points from dropping on the target to patrolling to the target.  I'm pretty sure the enemy had figured that one out by now.

I sincerely doubt anything in the book has any threat to US operational security, to be honest.  It was a far better read than I was expecting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: