http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 12:31:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New York's Proposed Cap on Soda Size Gets People Fizzing  (Read 1451 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:39:54 AM »

Are large sugary drinks a health risk or a civil rights concern?

That's the debate set off by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's proposal to restrict the sale of sodas and other sugar sweetened beverages to 16 ounces or less.

Advocates on both sides of the issue faced off at a public hearing Tuesday in Queens.

Beverage companies, their advocacy groups and some consumers vehemently object to the ban. Aside from the obvious reason that it will cut into profits, they claim it will limit choice and amounts to "nanny state" policing of personal nutrition.

"While we feel the mayor has good intentions, his proposal seems arbitrary," said Eliot Hoff, a spokesperson for New Yorkers for Beverage Choices, a group that receives a portion of its funding from the National Beverage Association. "We believe that we can choose what we drink and how much we drink."

http://news.yahoo.com/yorks-proposed-cap-soda-size-gets-people-fizzing-214248298--abc-news-wellness.html

This kind of government intrusion telling us how to live our personal lives is what pushes me more and more into the direction of the Libertarian Party.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »

And a Judge sees common sense..

New York City’s ban on large-size soda drinks was blocked by a judge after industry groups including the American Beverage Association sued to stop the plan, calling it an unfair burden on small businesses.

The city’s Board of Health in September approved Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s plan to limit the size of sugary soft drinks sold in restaurants, movie theaters, stadiums and arenas to no more than 16 ounces (473 milliliters) a cup.

Groups representing beverage makers, restaurants and theaters filed a petition in New York State Supreme Court in October, the state’s trial level court, seeking to block enforcement of the measure, calling the ban “unprecedented interference” with consumer choice.

New York Supreme Court Justice Milton Tingling in Manhattan approved the group’s request, issuing a permanent injunction preventing the city from implementing the plan, which had been scheduled to begin March 12. The city may appeal the ruling.

The groups said the decision by the Board of Health to approve the ban was overreaching and ignored the rights of New Yorkers to make their own choices. The plan is “grossly unfair” to small businesses such as hot-dog vendors and pizzerias because convenience and grocery stores can still sell the larger sizes, lawyers for the groups told Tingling during a hearing in January.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-11/new-york-city-soda-size-limitations-barred-by-state-court-judge.html

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »

I can't believe this was a *thing*.   I think these politicians should sit down with their cabinet and field some of these ideas aloud with them so people could say "Do you hear how dumb this sounds?  We shouldn't say this aloud Mr. Governor..."

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 11, 2013, 08:58:31 PM

I can't believe this was a *thing*.   I think these politicians should sit down with their cabinet and field some of these ideas aloud with them so people could say "Do you hear how dumb this sounds?  We shouldn't say this aloud Mr. Governor..."

It's for the children!!!!111!!!1

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 11:41:44 PM »

I rarely call "nanny state" on laws, but this one was just stupid. I hope the ruling holds up.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 04:56:11 AM »

I shocked CA didn't think of it first
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 05:19:30 AM »

They're too busy trying to regulate McDonald's out of San Francisco entirely.  

ts popular "Happy Meals" were the target of a San Francisco law that prohibited the giveaway of toys with children's meals that did not meet certain nutritional standards.

The measure, which became law after the Board of Supervisors overrode the veto of Mayor Gavin Newsom last fall, was a classic example of regulation run amok. While we readily acknowledge that a Happy Meal laden with calories and fat is not the smartest choice, we think parents - not politicians - should be the ones telling their children what they can and can't order off the menu, or whether they can indulge in an occasional splurge of junk food.

Undaunted, McDonald's came up with a way to meet both the letter of the law and the spirit of parental choice: Starting today, San Francisco diners can order a toy with their Happy Meal for 10 cents - and the dime will go to charity.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 01:13:52 PM »

Quote from: naednek on March 12, 2013, 04:56:11 AM

Out of curiosity, is the new plastic bag policy in California common knowledge around the country?
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 12, 2013, 01:13:52 PM

Out of curiosity, is the new plastic bag policy in California common knowledge around the country?

I have no idea what you're talking about, so I would say no. smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 12, 2013, 02:04:15 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 12, 2013, 01:13:52 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about, so I would say no. smile

In several counties around the Bay Area, when you go to say, Target, or a grocery store, there is a slightly different process at the checkout line.  When it comes to the time you usually see your purchases transferred into bags, you instead get a blank stare from the cashier.  There's also a chance you will be asked, "Would you like to buy a bag?"

There are no more free disposable bags in these counties.  You either bring your own canvas bags, or you pay extra for each bag you get.

This seems to be a good county by county overview.  Some places have banned plastic bags entirely; only paper or canvas are available.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 02:45:49 PM »

That's something that would be a good thing for the whole country to work towards IMHO. I tend to forget my reusable bags, but if there was no other choice I'm sure I would remember to leave some in the car.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »

Seattle has done the same. i'd been toting around mesh/canvas bags with me for some years prior, so it works out.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »

Be sure to wash your bags.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/24/are-plastic-bag-bans-making-us-sick
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 09:53:59 PM »

Holy hell the government shouldn't have a say in what I drink, nor should they require me to  purchase bags.

That shit wouldn't fly in Tennessee, and for that I'm grateful.

Wake up.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 12, 2013, 02:45:49 PM

That's something that would be a good thing for the whole country to work towards IMHO.

I rarely call "nanny state" on laws, but this one was just stupid. I hope the ruling holds up.

Which side are you on there, Teg?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »

Been using bags made from recycled plastic for a few years now. Never wash them, never got sick. When they get too gross I just replace them.

I fill up 6 big reusable bags of groceries every week. Each one holds at least twice as much as you could fit into a plastic film bag, so I figure I'm avoiding 12 bags a week or 600 per year. I do still use the occasional throwaway bag when I need to make an unplanned grocery stop, so I'm glad they aren't banned here.

In a lame attempt to make this on-topic...if most people made responsible choices voluntarily, nanny laws like this would never gain traction.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 11:04:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 18, 2013, 10:16:15 PM

Quote from: Teggy on March 12, 2013, 02:45:49 PM

That's something that would be a good thing for the whole country to work towards IMHO.

Which side are you on there, Teg?

The side of logical use of law to improve the general welfare. Regulating portion sizes for individuals does not fall in that category. Phasing out substances that will rot in our landfills for millennia does.

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 01:01:18 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on March 18, 2013, 09:53:59 PM

Holy hell the government shouldn't have a say in what I drink, nor should they require me to  purchase bags.

That shit wouldn't fly in Tennessee, and for that I'm grateful.

Never say we can't find common ground on something, because I couldn't agree with you more on this topic. It doesn't start or stop at 20oz drinks with Bloomberg, remember the switch in frying oils every single fast food restaurant in the country made a couple of years ago? That was Nanny Bloomberg. Add salt, smoking in public, and mandatory calorie labeling to the list. Even if you agree with some of those where does it end?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 02:10:22 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on March 19, 2013, 01:01:18 PM

Even if you agree with some of those where does it end?
He has already moved on to hiding cigarettes. Because if they can't be seen then no one will buy them.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »

If this country ever stops me from getting a Coke Icee roughly the size of my torso and costing about the same as a mini van while at a movie theater there...will...be...hell to pay.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 19, 2013, 02:43:13 PM

If this country ever stops me from getting a Coke Icee roughly the size of my torso and costing about the same as a mini van while at a movie theater there...will...be...hell to pay.

It has to be diet coke. And there will be a limit in the size of the straw to prevent you from getting a brain freeze. And you will have to wear gloves so your hands don't get too cold. And there will be a limit of one purchase a month.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »

Keep me from my coke icee during a movie and I will burn this world down.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 06:17:57 PM »

Austin just went bagless. I keep on forgetting to bring my damn bags.... icon_evil

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 10:40:24 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on March 19, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Austin just went bagless. I keep on forgetting to bring my damn bags.... icon_evil

Solution:  Juggle your groceries on the way home.  Entertainment, and no bags!   saywhat

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »

ruling to strike down this farce upheld:

A New York appeals court has upheld a ruling striking down New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's latest health push: his controversial ban on large sugary drinks.

The ban, which would have prohibited the sale of sodas and other sugary beverages larger than 16 ounces by restaurants and city eateries, was an illegal overreach of executive power, the state appeals court ruled Tuesday, upholding a lower court decision in March that struck down the law.

The law "violated the state principle of separation of powers," the First Department of the state Supreme Court's Appellate Division said in a unanimous decision.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/30/19775899-court-upholds-ruling-striking-down-nycs-ban-on-large-sugary-drinks?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=3

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: